The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 December 2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Sordfish
"TRF" Member

New 114060 Bracelet Half Link Removal

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I bought a Sub ND new from an AD in California. When getting it sized I asked them to remove a half link from the 12:00 side. The salesman took the watch to the watch tech in the back room and came back to tell me it was not possible to remove half links. When I said I didn't believe it, he insisted that the tech had insisted it wasn't possible.

Was he right or do I need to buy a hollow ground 16mm and do it myself? I can see there is a screw in the half link, but does the glide lock require both half links to function?

I found one thread where a DIYer was unable to get past the Locktite on the half link he was trying to remove. Do they use Red on the half links to keep guys like me from damaging a bracelet?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Otherwise happy with the watch. It is a quality hunk of metal.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Sordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 09:27 AM   #2
2024 Pledge Member

On the 114060 the half-link is removable just like any of the full links. I know because I have two sitting on my bench right now.

The tech must have mistakenly been thinking of the previous generations of bracelets.

The Loctite used is blue (242), not red (271). A bit of heat from a butane torch can help. Also make sure your screwdriver tip is properly sharpened and profiled to fit the slots. Most damage occurs from improperly shaped screwdrivers.

HTH
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 01:37 PM   #3
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
On the 114060 the half-link is removable just like any of the full links. I know because I have two sitting on my bench right now.

The tech must have mistakenly been thinking of the previous generations of bracelets.

The Loctite used is blue (242), not red (271). A bit of heat from a butane torch can help. Also make sure your screwdriver tip is properly sharpened and profiled to fit the slots. Most damage occurs from improperly shaped screwdrivers.

HTH

Thanks for your no nonsense and clear explanation. I’m like the OP that way .... If it has a screw in it my mind says it can come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 02:40 PM   #4
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

I would add that the half link is a bear to remove as the screw that attaches it to the Glidelock link is threaded in to a blind hole, seems to be a little more loctite in there from factory. Screw is also shorter, so make sure you don't lose it.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 03:40 PM   #5
Sordfish
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the replies.
Old 11 December 2018, 05:30 PM   #6
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

We will sacrifice up to one screwdriver tip before moving onto the bracelet tool we use for bracelet repair. These screws get really really stuck. Have tried all the tricks. Heat, solvents, all the tricks with minimal success. For us disassembling the link entirely lets us get to the screw, free it, then we reassemble the link.

The screw is saved, and link removed.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 12:05 AM   #7
jamski
"TRF" Member

My local AD removed the 1/2 link from my 14060m so it would fit on my wrist better.

While not the exact same model as yours, perhaps this picture would help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Link Removed.jpg (77.7 KB, 196 views)
jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 07:50 PM   #8
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Hmmm interesting. Never considered doing that before. Changing a rivet to make that change isnt hard. 5-15min at most. Wonder what the hesitation was about.

All work done in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
do you need to remove a half link? The glidelock has enough adjustability to be able to get a perfect fit anyways (with room for adjustability for hot/cold days).
Old 30 December 2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Sordfish
"TRF" Member

Yes and no really. With the glide lock at full stop the bracelet is a tad loose. I wanted to have the glidelock positioned closer to it's center to allow for both tighter and looser settings. But given the experiences in the above replies, I think better might be the enemy of good enough.