The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10 June 2019, 12:58 AM   #11
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post

Also my gut tells me people are using watches as asset class which means it could be a USD proxy. In case the world falls...especially in china/hk its a liquid asset for cash

Sorry i think of non sense while im exercising
I don't think that's nonsense. It's a very effective way to wear your wealth out of the country if forced to "relocate" and other assets are frozen. Same reason Seattle home prices are what they are (pre-parking assets outside of gov't reach).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
As we have seen plenty of rumours prove to be baseless, I am generally skeptical to those who believe they have advance knowledge of PP’s product development plans. With that in mind, I have been told a few times in recent months that the 5712 is on the chopping block for Baselworld 2019. With the introduction of the 5740/1G and demand for this presumably higher margin piece, I can see a logic in freeing up calibre 240 supply from the 5712 offering. Perhaps there is anyway enough excess supply of this movement available from other calibration 240 pieces, not least the glut of eg 5327 references.
I would think that watchmakers qualified to turn a 240 into a 5740 would be the bigger bottleneck than production capacity of 240 base calibers. That said, an additional way to free up available 240 bases would be to migrate the 5167 to the 330 (which I've also hears entirely unsubstantiated speculation/conjecture of on this forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
the 5711P is selling between 200 and 220K EURO today and it seems the demand is still high
cheapest today are at 210K euro
A friend of me wanted to buy one, found one on chrono24 for about 190K , contacted the seller be he told it was already sold
But that was a very limited special edition. I wouldn't expect its prices to reflect the rest of the line in any way, and would expect it to trade at a premium regardless of the line's popularity. Seems the two compound each other in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
If Patek is sold, I would any new owner would increase SS production across the board and steel prices aftermarket will be retail or less once the added stock hits the market. This is how it should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
A return to the days of buying an SS reference and then losing 10% if you sell would be welcome in my book.
What would be less welcome is the undoubted compromise on quality inherent from the cost-cutting/production increase measures taken by a conglomerate or financial buyer. Any buyer choosing to increase SS production would undoubtedly be primarily concerned about the short-term and cashing in on brand history/current hype.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote