The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2009, 10:39 PM   #31
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

1200 bucks for a pocket book is cheap... i just dropped 5000.00 on a chanel bag for my girlfriend.... looks like a piece of junk to me.....
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 10:56 PM   #32
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintessentially View Post
I'm a sucker for high end leather goods and I can totally understand. I buy a pair of shoes every month from either Bally or Ferragamo. I buy a briefcase 2-3 times a year from LV or Bally ... i have expensive habits and thankfully my wife is totally opposite.
Old 31 July 2009, 11:20 PM   #33
snapster
"TRF" Member

to the op...

look at it this way... you're buying a watch that is going to cost several times MORE than what she wants. if anything, she should be the one posting about how you want a freakin' watch just to tell time and you plan on spending several thousand when a 20 dollar timex will suffice.

don't take it personally but just look at the way you're thinking... isn't it a bit hypocritical to fault the gal for wanting a nice pocketbook when you want a watch that is 3x+ more than her luxury item?

i suggest you just roll with it. a happy wife is a happy home and i'm sure others can agree that the opposite is true as well.
snapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 01:37 AM   #34
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
Amen Sister!

I like shoes, handbags and watches.....I also like cars, and my husband is obsessed with cars......we each buy what we want for the most part.

I don't ask when I buy handbags :)

He got $4,000 worth of Buick GS new, old stock body panels last year. I didn't complain about that :) So I got a 3k diamond bracelet and a Jeep Wrangler for my birthday :)

Happily wedded bliss

(Still waiting on the Wrangler)
Will you two adopt me? Please? I'm a great son.. potty trained... (well, most of the time anyway)..
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 03:44 AM   #35
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Is pocketbook a common term? Never heard it until now. Anyway, like everyone said, you dodged a bullet.
Old 1 August 2009, 04:26 AM   #36
pain888
"TRF" Member

remember the line in ur vows "WHATEVER PLEASES YOU HONEY" Thats how i got my 3 Rolex no free ride .
pain888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 04:54 AM   #37
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
Is pocketbook a common term? Never heard it until now. Anyway, like everyone said, you dodged a bullet.
Different generation.

Sorry guys!
Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 05:13 AM   #38
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
I'd tell her "Sure, if you use it as long as I do my Rolex". If you keep the watch for 20 years that's about $50 a year. I know that's not going to go over like a led balloon, but a point will be made.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 05:17 AM   #39
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapster View Post
to the op...

look at it this way... you're buying a watch that is going to cost several times MORE than what she wants. if anything, she should be the one posting about how you want a freakin' watch just to tell time and you plan on spending several thousand when a 20 dollar timex will suffice.

don't take it personally but just look at the way you're thinking... isn't it a bit hypocritical to fault the gal for wanting a nice pocketbook when you want a watch that is 3x+ more than her luxury item?

i suggest you just roll with it. a happy wife is a happy home and i'm sure others can agree that the opposite is true as well.
As I said in the previous post, the watch will be worth several times what you paid for it in 30 years even if worn everyday and beaten up. That handbag, unless put in a vacuum seal and never warn, will be being held together with duct tape and worthless. Apples and oranges.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 01:42 PM   #40
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresiarh View Post
I'm a sucker for high end leather goods and I can totally understand. I buy a pair of shoes every month from either Bally or Ferragamo. I buy a briefcase 2-3 times a year from LV or Bally ... i have expensive habits and thankfully my wife is totally opposite.
What do you do with the old ones? Seriously, if you buy 3 per year they would begin to add up and become clutter in the bottom of the closet. Do people buy them? Do people buy used briefcases or purses? I've never even seen a LV or Bally briefcase. It looks very nice in the picture. Why do they wear out so quickly?
Not busting chops, I don't work in the city and am not familiar with those things.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 01:55 PM   #41
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
I've got the LV President briefcase, it's *very* sturdy, LV products in general don't wear out. He just seems to have an obsession...

It can even stand the weight of a dozen donuts!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/3334333835/
Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 02:10 PM   #42
shandy
Banned

Can someone please explain to us non Americans here what the hell a pocket book is Is it like a filofax?personal organiser??

Also I do not understand your wife's argument, in one breath she berates you for wanting to spend money on your belated birthday present saying the money is better spent on your childrens education.
But then it is fine if you spend that money as long as you spend even more of their education fund for something for her when it is not even her birthday..Sorry, I just do not understand her logic on that
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 02:23 PM   #43
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Can someone please explain to us non Americans here what the hell a pocket book is Is it like a filofax?personal organiser??

Also I do not understand your wife's argument, in one breath she berates you for wanting to spend money on your belated birthday present saying the money is better spent on your childrens education.
But then it is fine if you spend that money as long as you spend even more of their education fund for something for her when it is not even her birthday..Sorry, I just do not understand her logic on that
A pocketbook is what we call a purse.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2009, 10:50 AM   #44
BXNupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMTc
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post

Clearly her argument was flawed, which is why we both immediatley laughed and decided to treat ourselves to the watch and pocket book (purse), repectively. The original post was never intended to solicit responses dissecting how her thinking lacked logic and merit -- I thought that was obvious from the beginning...it was certainly clear to her...without my uttering a single word. I was simply trying to prompt a discussion about what, if any, "negotiations" had to take place (beyond those with the AD/seller) for folks to get their beloved Rolex(es).
BXNupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2009, 12:56 PM   #45
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Basically we are talking about a person's priorities and what is important to them. In a marriage situations are resolved through mediation/communication and setting up win-win solutions for both parties involved. If you want to stay married respect each others feelings and never go to bed angry!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2009, 01:38 PM   #46
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
I dont know anything about pocket books..but i think i had too much to drink looking at this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00121.jpg (51.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00122.jpg (68.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00123.jpg (63.5 KB, 18 views)