The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 27 February 2021, 10:24 AM   #1
r00t
"TRF" Member

Brand new watch with no scratches? Mission impossible?

After ten years and many rolexes I wanted to return to Panerai. Love how 1389 looks and it super comfortable.

Right now I’m in Florida so I visited both Miami and Bal Harbor boutiques. Both have the watches, but only one piece per store. Problem is that, they are all scratched.

No big deal, let’s order brand new. But no. They can’t. Both boutiques told me that they only can order same display models from other boutiques and not manufacturer. A never have same issues with other brands, all my watches came virgin in transport boxes and all protective plastic.

Is there any way to buy brand new watch? What about panerai.com “e-boutique”? Do they use same scratched demo stock? What was your experience? Any trusted panerai gray dealers? Your advise will be much appreciated.
r00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 12:04 PM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Give Bob at the Naples, FL boutique a call. (239) 598-2221

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 11:20 PM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree, call Bob in Naples. He's a great guy and straight-shooter. Got a PAM table clock and bracelet for the 01033 GMT from him... and he's been wonderful to work with.

Call Bob :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 03:39 AM   #4
emtee
"TRF" Member

Lol at a boutique even thinking it’s acceptable to sell a scratched multi thousand dollar timepiece to a customer
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 07:51 AM   #5
r00t
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, will be in Naples tomorrow. Will check it out.
Old 28 February 2021, 08:03 AM   #6
r00t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Lol at a boutique even thinking it’s acceptable to sell a scratched multi thousand dollar timepiece to a customer
What I really don’t get is why not to keep 1-2 pcs of most popular models. You try on demo and then buy a new one.

Factory in hardly overloaded with orders. Pure production cost shouldn’t be more then a $1000.
Old 1 March 2021, 08:14 AM   #7
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Agreed.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 09:14 AM   #8
BMess
"TRF" Member

I had this same experience at a northern New Jersey AD. I was going back and forth between the 689 and the 995. After about 30 minutes of trying them both on, I realized there was a noticeable scratch on the ceramic bezel between 6:00 and 7:00. The saleswoman brought the owner over to ask what he can do and he offered me $100 off the piece in passing without making eye contact with me. No offer to replace the bezel, no offer to order a new watch, he just mumbled "$100 off" as he walked away. Disgusting.

BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 01:41 PM   #9
r00t
"TRF" Member

I usually have less scratches after half year of daily use then boutiques “new” watches. Disgusting.

It will be same scratched stock if I order online? Or they use “brand new” watches?
Old 1 March 2021, 09:52 PM   #10
martintyler
"TRF" Member

Not disagreeing that they shouldn't have scratches on, but how do you think it should work?

These watches are produced in limited numbers, and you expect every boutique and AD to have one you can try on, and yet still have mint untouched ones to sell? What would happen to the ones that have been tried on?

I think some places will keep a plastic cover on the watch, i'm sure AP do that, but that means you can't really see the finish well. I'm not sure there is a perfect answer.
martintyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 10:55 PM   #11
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Nothing to say here. Simply don't give your business to these "poor" professionals.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 03:54 AM   #12
dg88
"TRF" Member

Cannot believe he would just mumble "$100" off and not even give you eye contact. Here in the UK we perceive Americans as being 'service service service' oriented so that surprises me...
dg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 04:04 AM   #13
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
I would just thank and leave the shop..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg88 View Post
Cannot believe he would just mumble "$100" off and not even give you eye contact. Here in the UK we perceive Americans as being 'service service service' oriented so that surprises me...
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 07:13 AM   #14
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE 0 SE7EN View Post
I would just thank and leave the shop..
Couldn't agree more mate. I wouldn't have entertained it...
dg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 09:35 AM   #15
ManUtd
"TRF" Member

I agree with the others, there is no way this is acceptable to me especially if the shop insults me with $100. Scratches are inevitable but only acceptable if I caused them. When I buy a watch as new, they better be free from all kinds of blemishes. That said, short of doing wrapping their watches like this I don't know how shops can prevent scratches while folks are trying them on.

Old 5 March 2021, 11:36 AM   #16
r00t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martintyler View Post
Not disagreeing that they shouldn't have scratches on, but how do you think it should work?

These watches are produced in limited numbers, and you expect every boutique and AD to have one you can try on, and yet still have mint untouched ones to sell? What would happen to the ones that have been tried on?

I think some places will keep a plastic cover on the watch, i'm sure AP do that, but that means you can't really see the finish well. I'm not sure there is a perfect answer.
I think if you don't bother minor imperfections you can buy straight away from the display with some discount. But why not Panerai just keep some brand new stock on central location and ship it to the store overnight. In EU they ship directly from Switzerland and it takes few days if it's available of factory. It must be a choice.

Imagine if you come to Ferrari and you only can buy their test drive cars.