The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7 October 2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Comacho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 168000
My First Rolex... acquired in the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!

Ok so this is the cliff notes version of how I acquired a watch I've coveted for 20 years and story I just have to share...I never dreamed of falling into a deal like this.

So I get a call from a good friend Friday night about 8 o'clock. After we exchange pleasantries he says to me "hey, how much do you know about Rolex's? I reply "well ironically, more than you're average person on the street". As it turns out he knows an old man ( as described to me) that has been selling off all kinds of stuff he doesn't need. Guns mostly but he has a "watch". I say go on... As he tries to describe the watch I can't believe what I'm hearing. I interrupt "if the next words out of your mouth are Submariner..." he says THAT'S IT! Ive been trying to remember and I kept thinking Sub-Auqa. I say on my way...

So at 9 o'clock in the evening I head out cash in hand. No clue of the asking price, whether or not its real, beat to hell, or a Genuine Folex purchased from a shady guy in a trench coat.

We finally hook up with the "old man" of no more that 60 yrs. old <-- (sounding younger and younger all the time, but I digress). He opens a rusty old truck, and takes out a canvas bag, He opens the canvas bag and takes out an outer box, he opens the outer box and takes out a watch box, he opens the watch box and takes out a watch...

then he proceeds to hand me me the box, warranty card, booklets, extra links, and the original receipt all for my inspection. It all matches up and his name (who my friend has know him by for a couple years I think) is on all the paperwork, Holy crap! it's a 16800 from about 1986 or so. I use my best poker face to not FREAK THE F**K OUT! I ask him calmly "so how much are you looking to get for it"?

$900.00 dollars later I'm a happy happy man.

Comacho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141006_232019.jpg (112.9 KB, 1169 views)
File Type: jpg 20141006_232948.jpg (169.5 KB, 1163 views)
File Type: jpg 20141006_233407.jpg (105.8 KB, 1161 views)
File Type: jpg 20141006_231959.jpg (118.1 KB, 1164 views)