The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 October 2020, 04:25 AM   #1
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Sablier & Concave Watch Crystals

I noticed that there hasn't been any mention of this watch on this forum, so I thought some folks might find this interesting.

I recently had the opportunity to spend about a week with one of these watches from Sablier (Grand Cru 44). They pride themselves on being the first to use a concave crystal on a watch, and have a US Patent on this.

The rest of the watch (dial in particular) was very neat too, with curved indices and hands, and a wine red dial. I believe this watch is targeted towards wine enthusiasts who also like watches, and the case is shaped like a wine glass. Lots of interesting design work here.

Here are some pictures that I took:

I posted my review in the Reviews section here if anyone is interested in some more detailed thoughts - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=771007

Thoughts?
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 04:36 AM   #2
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I've had the chance to see and handle these pieces in the past - definitely a cool concept with the concave crystal - my only issue was with the price - this isn't a $2800 watch.

I like the quirkiness of the squiggly second hand along with crown placement at 2 o'clock.

My only fault with the piece is price-
Old 22 October 2020, 04:44 AM   #3
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
I've had the chance to see and handle these pieces in the past - definitely a cool concept with the concave crystal - my only issue was with the price - this isn't a $2800 watch.

I like the quirkiness of the squiggly second hand along with crown placement at 2 o'clock.

My only fault with the piece is price-
I think so too. I can appreciate all the design and engineering that went into making it happen, but it is a hefty price tag.
Old 22 October 2020, 07:55 AM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve also seen and handled these in person - cool concept, a but underwhelmed though - add to that that it’s massive in height and priced too high.... lost interest immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 12:43 PM   #5
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I’ve also seen and handled these in person - cool concept, a but underwhelmed though - add to that that it’s massive in height and priced too high.... lost interest immediately.

I agree about the price, but surprisingly the watch isn't as tall as it looks. It actually is only 12mm. It does look a lot larger, I suppose because every single mm of those 12 are being used for the case. There is no curved case-back or domed crystal.
Old 22 October 2020, 12:44 PM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesingularity7 View Post
I agree about the price, but surprisingly the watch isn't as tall as it looks. It actually is only 12mm. It does look a lot larger, I suppose because every single mm of those 12 are being used for the case. There is no curved case-back or domed crystal.

Good point... deceptive indeed

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concave , cru , grand , sablier , watch