The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2023, 06:51 AM   #1
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Icon5 💉 Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections. Anyone use this therapy?

Wondering if any one here has had PRP Injections and if the therapy worked for them?

After a bad skiing accident 8 months ago I have gone through a lot of physical therapy and my 25%-50% rotator cuff tear is not healing to the point I can play golf or do many things I want to do or was able to do without thinking twice. Surgery is not recommended unless the tear is 70% or more.

I researched Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and figured it's worth a try. Being a new form of treatment most insurance plans don't cover it yet. I decided $650 it's worth a shot, pun intended. So, on Monday I had 60cc's of blood drawn and spun down to get 6-7cc's of Platelets that were then injected into my right shoulder. I am hopeful the procedure works to relieve pain, reduce inflammation and encourage healthy repair as my own PRP go to work. I will be starting up a new physical therapy program twice a week too.

Keeping a positive mental attitude and moving forward.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...-prp-treatment

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2023, 07:12 AM   #2
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Damn Larry, let us know how it goes. I would be interested as well for my acl tear on my knee from a accident as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2023, 07:20 AM   #3
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

My wife did several cycles for her knee, worked for her.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2023, 09:53 AM   #4
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Did nothing for my shoulder or knee.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2023, 10:15 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I hope you get better Larry. I didn’t know you had an injury. If inflammation is a problem eat a diabetic diet. It helps.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2023, 11:47 PM   #6
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Not much data supporting benefits from this, but it’s pretty cheap and no real negatives. I suspect it’s mostly psychological. A good friend is an orthopedic doc in the NFL and though they use it a ton, that’s what he tells me.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2023, 12:25 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Feel better buddy.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2023, 12:31 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I used it for tendonitis in my elbow a number of years ago. It seemed to work.

I had to wear a sling for a few weeks if I remember right but afterwards it seemed to heal itself. Of course, without the injection and wearing the sling it may have healed as well since the arm was fairly immobilized.

One of those things, that after quite a bit of therapy nothing was working, I figured I'd give it a try.

I did read that some areas are more likely to work with PRP injections than others.
Old 11 August 2023, 12:32 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sorry to hear Larry, I hope this works.

A positive attitude goes along way
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2023, 04:07 PM   #10
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Icon14 Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Wondering if any one here has had PRP Injections and if the therapy worked for them?

After a bad skiing accident 8 months ago I have gone through a lot of physical therapy and my 25%-50% rotator cuff tear is not healing to the point I can play golf or do many things I want to do or was able to do without thinking twice. Surgery is not recommended unless the tear is 70% or more.

I researched Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and figured it's worth a try. Being a new form of treatment most insurance plans don't cover it yet. I decided $650 it's worth a shot, pun intended. So, on Monday I had 60cc's of blood drawn and spun down to get 6-7cc's of Platelets that were then injected into my right shoulder. I am hopeful the procedure works to relieve pain, reduce inflammation and encourage healthy repair as my own PRP go to work. I will be starting up a new physical therapy program twice a week too.

Keeping a positive mental attitude and moving forward.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...-prp-treatment
Physician here. I administer these treatments.
Old 15 August 2023, 01:01 AM   #11
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm sorry to hear this, Larry. The good news is you're looking into options and I really hope this helps you.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2023, 05:03 AM   #12
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Wife has tons of hip problems including a torn hip labrum. Had 2 shots and did nothing.
Shots also cost 900 bucks a piece here.
Worked on my buddy’s knee but think it’s hit and miss.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 04:14 AM   #13
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
My boss tried it in an attempt to avoid Tommy John Surgery but it didn't do anything for it.
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 04:27 AM   #14
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Here's to a successful outcome!
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 07:39 AM   #15
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Tried it on knee without success. That being said I would definitely give it a shot. Best of luck!
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 05:49 AM   #16
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
~UPDATE~ 7 Weeks Later...

Sore shoulder for a few weeks and then started to feel some relief but I wasn't moving it much. Started with a new physical therapist, was going well and then hit a snag. The basic strengthening excises started to cause pain and inflammation again. After a reassessment of my injuries and pain we have determined that the issue is with the tear on the long head of my bicep where it attaches deep inside the shoulder to a piece of cartilage called the labrum.

So now the question is do I go back and get another injection in this specific area?

10 months and I'm still feel pain when lifting my right hand across my body and over my head. I believe many of the PT exercises that I have been given have actually irritated and caused additional inflammation.

The rehab continues...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 06:57 AM   #17
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
It may be a long process, Larry. Have a buddy who's been chasing pain in his hip caused by a terrible fall, for a couple of years now. Each new doctor/therapist thought they had it figured out, but each time they were wrong. The good news is, he finally seems to be on the right track. Hopefully yours will resolve more quickly, but if not, don't give up. There's an answer out there.
Old 26 September 2023, 08:57 AM   #18
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

Cash pay medicine is pretty much what PRP therapy is now. Wish you the best.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 02:33 PM   #19
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:

Sore shoulder for a few weeks and then started to feel some relief but I wasn't moving it much. Started with a new physical therapist, was going well and then hit a snag. The basic strengthening excises started to cause pain and inflammation again. After a reassessment of my injuries and pain we have determined that the issue is with the tear on the long head of my bicep where it attaches deep inside the shoulder to a piece of cartilage called the labrum.

So now the question is do I go back and get another injection in this specific area?

10 months and I'm still feel pain when lifting my right hand across my body and over my head. I believe many of the PT exercises that I have been given have actually irritated and caused additional inflammation.

The rehab continues...

Larry: Hi there!! Sorry to hear about your situation.

In spring, I sustained an injury similar to yours - right rotator cuff & labrum. I couldn't buckle my seat belt with my right hand or lift anything. I was in so much pain. My right arm was fairly useless.

I started with chiropractor, 3x week, who used heat and tens, massage, passively moving my arm (while stabilizing my shoulder joint/cuff with his other hand) and various adjustments for alignment, esp my neck and back.

Then a few weeks later, I finally got a referral and had 7 weeks of 3x per week physical therapy with ultrasound to shoulder. After each PT session, I went directly to the chiropractic appointment.

It was hard work, but I'm almost back to normal, with a few glitches that are slowly resolving with exercises at home. Strength is improving by the week. I still go to chiro a few times a month.

It takes time.... I'm six months out from the injury.

I did not have injections. Lots of cold and heat therapy. Researched supplements to reduce inflammation and promote healing: Took collagen and biotin, magnesium, potassium, bromelain, Vit C, D3, E, Omega3, turmeric, ginger, B complex, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar with meal.

Don't get discouraged. Stay the course.

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 12:02 AM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The rehab continues...
I had the exact injury about 7 years ago.

I did 3 months of PT with only temporary pain relief. The doctor was initially reluctant to do a repair as I had a previous rotator cuff repair to the same shoulder 15 years earlier. Fortunately, my doctor favors the goal of reaching as close to full function as soon as possible and he was not happy with the lack of functional gains with PT.

IMHO, you need another surgery consult. PT and other modalities will likely give short term pain relief until you overuse the joint and start the pain cycle again.

Sadly, many doctors’ goal, absent a complete tear, is simply the lessening of pain rather than maximizing a return to complete function. This is much more prevalent when they see an older patient. I think they assume that older people are not as active and do not need full function again or they will not be as compliant with the painful recovery (some truth to that).

The surgery is a tough ine. They will relocate the insertion point of the biceps tendon to the side of the shoulder. While we really do not need a fully funtioning biceps, it sure helped me alleviate the pain.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Sadly, I am a veteran of three major shoulder repairs.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2023, 01:05 AM   #21
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
The best thing you can do in this situation is to buy a new Rolex
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2023, 12:06 PM   #22
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

PRP is in the same treatment family as prolotherapy and stem cell injections, which all stimulate damaged tendons and ligaments to regrow stronger, something conventional medicine says can't be done. About 40 years ago I had a torn ACL that really bothered me. I did prolotherapy and have had a few 'tune ups' in the interim, and today I'm pain free with no limitations. Same thing with my hip, 30 years ago was very painful from an accident, an MD told me to look for a hip replacement, after lots of prolotherapy I'm pretty functional, playing pickleball anyway, with my original joints. If I had had joint replacements then I'd be on my third one and hate to think how I'd be now.

You have to find a good practitioner who injects the right spot, and follow through with as many treatments as they recommend. IMHO the majority of what orthopaedic surgeons do wouldn't be needed if these treatments were used. Insurance doesn't cover it (I did successfully sue my insurance company who falsely said it was 'experimental', prolotherapy has been around since the 1950's), but for the price of a Rolex or less isn't your health worth it? The Mayo Clinic does these treatments, pro sports athletes too. Former Surgeon General Dr. C. Everett Koop was both a patient and practitioner of prolotherapy. There are lots of studies showing the efficiency of these treatments. My wife has a connective tissue disorder and says she'd be in a wheelchair without prolotherapy.

The medical establishment doesn't push this because there isn't enough money in it compared to joint replacement, which is like an annuity to them when it has to be redone. They know what they know, which is drugs and surgery.

There may be a time for joint replacement but I would strongly recommend anyone having problems try these less drastic treatments first. I have heard some real horror stories of joint replacement surgery, and they aren't replacing anything, they are amputating your joint and inserting a piece of metal, which the body often rejects. You're always better off keeping your own joints.

PT will strengthen the surrounding muscles which is important but it won't repair damaged ligaments.

And don't get cortizone injections either, they make you feel better for a while but destroy tissue. Even conventional medicine says there's a limit to how many of those you can get.
Old 1 October 2023, 12:25 PM   #23
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
Not much data supporting benefits from this,
Not true, here's one study of many:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4938120/

The studies are out there, the medical establishment isn't reading them.

Quote:
I suspect it’s mostly psychological.
Is that true of conventional medicine too?

Quote:
A good friend is an orthopedic doc in the NFL and though they use it a ton, that’s what he tells me.
Multi-million dollar athletes with access to any treatment they want using prolotherapy/PRP/stem cell should tell us a lot.
Old 1 October 2023, 01:18 PM   #24
Phlippe
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
PRP is in the same treatment family as prolotherapy and stem cell injections, which all stimulate damaged tendons and ligaments to regrow stronger, something conventional medicine says can't be done. About 40 years ago I had a torn ACL that really bothered me. I did prolotherapy and have had a few 'tune ups' in the interim, and today I'm pain free with no limitations. Same thing with my hip, 30 years ago was very painful from an accident, an MD told me to look for a hip replacement, after lots of prolotherapy I'm pretty functional, playing pickleball anyway, with my original joints. If I had had joint replacements then I'd be on my third one and hate to think how I'd be now.

You have to find a good practitioner who injects the right spot, and follow through with as many treatments as they recommend. IMHO the majority of what orthopaedic surgeons do wouldn't be needed if these treatments were used. Insurance doesn't cover it (I did successfully sue my insurance company who falsely said it was 'experimental', prolotherapy has been around since the 1950's), but for the price of a Rolex or less isn't your health worth it? The Mayo Clinic does these treatments, pro sports athletes too. Former Surgeon General Dr. C. Everett Koop was both a patient and practitioner of prolotherapy. There are lots of studies showing the efficiency of these treatments. My wife has a connective tissue disorder and says she'd be in a wheelchair without prolotherapy.

The medical establishment doesn't push this because there isn't enough money in it compared to joint replacement, which is like an annuity to them when it has to be redone. They know what they know, which is drugs and surgery.

There may be a time for joint replacement but I would strongly recommend anyone having problems try these less drastic treatments first. I have heard some real horror stories of joint replacement surgery, and they aren't replacing anything, they are amputating your joint and inserting a piece of metal, which the body often rejects. You're always better off keeping your own joints.

PT will strengthen the surrounding muscles which is important but it won't repair damaged ligaments.

And don't get cortizone injections either, they make you feel better for a while but destroy tissue. Even conventional medicine says there's a limit to how many of those you can get.
(I did successfully sue my insurance company who falsely said it was 'experimental', prolotherapy has been around since the 1950's)

How in the world did you pull that off? I’ve had a number of procedures that have worked but not one was paid for by insurance as they are quick to say they are experimental.
Phlippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2023, 02:18 AM   #25
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlippe View Post
(I did successfully sue my insurance company who falsely said it was 'experimental', prolotherapy has been around since the 1950's)

How in the world did you pull that off? I’ve had a number of procedures that have worked but not one was paid for by insurance as they are quick to say they are experimental.
By presenting the evidence. I'm sure they know most people won't hire a lawyer and fight them. Crazy they pay $50K for a hip replacement but not $5K for a treatment that would fix it.
Old 2 October 2023, 04:09 AM   #26
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
East of Eden........ "Crazy they pay $50K for a hip replacement but not $5K for a treatment that would fix it."

Thou shalt not dispute the medical industrial complex.

When people receive information like the following, few will elect non-cutting approaches, such as prolotherapy.
It's not easy to find experienced providers that will provide the procedure you sought.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...6-prolotherapy
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2023, 07:05 AM   #27
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
East of Eden........ "Crazy they pay $50K for a hip replacement but not $5K for a treatment that would fix it."

Thou shalt not dispute the medical industrial complex.
I guess I'm anti-science.

Quote:
When people receive information like the following, few will elect non-cutting approaches, such as prolotherapy.
It's not easy to find experienced providers that will provide the procedure you sought.
I have some provider recommendations in FL if anyone is interested. There are a LOT more today than there were 30 years ago, with the internet it's much harder for the AMA to maintain their monopoly on information.

Hilarious, even the Cleveland Clinic doesn't keep up with the studies like I posted earlier on this thread. The Mayo Clinic disagrees with them, they offer prolotherapy. Of course it isn't FDA approved, that costs millions, and Big Pharma can't patent dextrose, basically sugar water, variations of which prolotherapists use to irritate ligaments so they grow back stronger. Yet the FDA approves High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is basically a poison to our bodies, leading to diabetes, heart disease, and obesity which puts pressure on joints, which they then do a joint replacement on. Big Agriculture has limitless funds for FDA studies on that.

We are one of only two countries that even allow drug companies to advertise on TV, news outlets relying on their advertising are afraid to challenge them.