The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 March 2006, 03:40 PM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
What fascinates you MOST about your watch?

Okay guys,

We all love our watches, whatever the make, and that's why we are here!!

So the question here is what aspect about your watch fascinates you the most? With some it could be the bezel or even the dial or perhaps the bracelet and so on.

I'm a die-hard Rolex fan as you know and although I love the DJ models and would probably have had at least one in my collection (on the new Jubilee which I love) if only they were slightly larger in diameter, I find the 40 mm perfect for my wrists.

The part which fascinates me the most is the point where the sapphire crystal meets up with the bezel and when the bezel continues to flow over to the serrated edge. See pics below to view my fetish!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 6 March 2006 at 03:45 PM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2006, 03:55 PM   #2
writer
"TRF" Member

Can't pick just one thing.

With my Sub 14060M, I like when there is no glare at all and the dial looks pitch black. Looks great in a movie theater. Love the clean dial too.

With my TT DJ, I like the sound it makes when the date changes. I also like having the gold crown at the 12 position. I prefer it to the triangle that's on my Sub. I also like the way the watch sparkles in the light.
writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2006, 04:00 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hey writer,

Good post. BTW, who's the guy in your avatar?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 6 March 2006, 05:26 PM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Wow. Good thread, JJ and tough question. There is no one thing for me. I like the color contrasts of the GMT, the intricate complications of an Omega chrono or Breitling Navitimer, the clean, pure tool watch look of the 14060M, and the nostalgic look of the knurled bezel on the Tutima. The way that the bracelet flows off of the case and the bold simplicity of a Panerai. Or just the look of an un-obscured clean dial and knowing of the intricately detailed movement inside. I like, or at least appreciate, pretty much everything about a watch, with the exception of a battery
Old 6 March 2006, 07:00 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well its got to be the movement,any mechanical movement, When you think about it movements have not changed much in the last 80 years.Just a spring supplying the energy though a set gears and a escapement.That will will run for 40-72 hours,some now up to 10 days.And keep time to within a few seconds a day.And go on working with little maintenance, for the owners lifetime sometimes longer.Thats the difference between the Quartz, and mechanical watch
the mechanical has a heart, and a soul. Time, thats one thing we cannot stop,but we all take time now for granted.We start to moan and groan, if the mechanical marvel,on your wrist,is out by a few seconds.Just remember this when you next look at your watch.A normal day has 86,400 seconds, even a watch that runs five minutes fast, or slow each day has an accuracy of over 99.6%.Any mechanical watch that gains or loses about nine seconds a day, or about a minute a week has a breathtaking precision of over 99.99 per cent. This is very high precision, given the fact that the movement
is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.So JJ.. thats what fascinates me most about my watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2006, 08:41 PM   #6
PRH
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG DD
Padi56, that just about sums it up for me too, the only thing I would add is the heritage of Rolex.
PRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2006, 09:04 PM   #7
RobDad

The snap of the date-change on a Rolex sounds great - and I love the 'glow' of my steel sub-date (the metal, not the lume!). Was watching 'Sphere' last night, with Sharon Stone wearing a 16610 - somehow, Rolex Sports models seem to reflect the light in a certain way, makes them look tough as nails. Can't explain it really, but I'm sure some of you guys know what I mean!
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2006, 11:17 PM   #8
writer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Hey writer,

Good post. BTW, who's the guy in your avatar?

Thanks JJ. The guy in my avatar is Edgar Allan Poe.
writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2006, 11:50 PM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by writer
Thanks JJ. The guy in my avatar is Edgar Allan Poe.
JJ, in case literature hasn't reached your little island yet, E A Poe was a 19th century American writer. A rather compentent one, at that.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2006, 11:53 PM   #10
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Back to the topic at hand.

I think what fascinates me most about my watches is the complications. The way you can have a date function and a 24 hour function on the GMT or the day and date function on the DD. And the multiple complications of the Breitling Olympus, which includes a chronograph and a perpetual calendar showing month, day and date and only need adjusting once every 4 years, is simply astounding to me.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 12:14 AM   #11
kakalika
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub-Date
I just love the brushed finish on my sub.
Old 7 March 2006, 04:21 AM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
For me it would be the amount of working pieces on the inside that make these buggers tick along.

That and the strap options that I have with two of the three of them.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 04:47 AM   #13
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I agree with Padi & Ed.
How the mechanics in such a small place can keep such remarkable time & measurements.
Plus they are subject to the abuse of being worn daily.
AND, some watch technicians figured out how to do all that without the aid of any computer systems.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 07:19 AM   #14
----

What fascinates me is that a watch that is similar to the one I own drove some silly bugger in NZ around the bend obsessing about every little detail......

Old 7 March 2006, 08:57 AM   #15
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I really like the attention to detail. (most of the time.)

I heard it said if you are unsure if it is a fake or not take a good look at the dial. It should be perfect. Now we all know that nothing is perfect, but if you really look at the dials they are great.

But what facinates me the most is the feeling I get when I wear them. Since I was a child I wanted a Rolex. Was a dream of mine. Never thought I would wear one because of the price. But learned with proper budgeting, even an average person with a finacial strategy can own one. I worked a night job to save up for my first one.

So when I wear it, I am amazed how it feels. A litttle reminder that if you set your mind to it, you can do anything. A little daily encouragement worn on my wrist. That is what facinates ME.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 10:36 AM   #16
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Well said Mr K

Member # 293
Old 7 March 2006, 10:55 AM   #17
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K

I heard it said if you are unsure if it is a fake or not take a good look at the dial. It should be perfect. Now we all know that nothing is perfect, but if you really look at the dials they are great.

But what facinates me the most is the feeling I get when I wear them. Since I was a child I wanted a Rolex. Was a dream of mine. Never thought I would wear one because of the price. But learned with proper budgeting, even an average person with a finacial strategy can own one. I worked a night job to save up for my first one.

So when I wear it, I am amazed how it feels. A litttle reminder that if you set your mind to it, you can do anything. A little daily encouragement worn on my wrist. That is what facinates ME.

"Life's only limitations are the ones we make."
Old 7 March 2006, 11:07 AM   #18
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Great Topic JJ :o)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 12:10 PM   #19
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
The fact that it's mine
Old 7 March 2006, 01:43 PM   #20
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
That is a very good question, JJ. I have to answer with what I am wearing which is my 1680. I just commented how I am a little reluctent to wear it because of the age and condition. But I just I decided I am going to wear it and enjoy it. So I would say the fact that a Rolex can look so good and contemperary after 34 years does really amaze me. I think each of my watches has it's own attraction. =) maverick

maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 03:30 PM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:

Good post, Mark!

Old 7 March 2006, 07:30 PM   #22
mineral
"TRF" Member

Hi JJ,

what fascinating me most about Rolex is its Bezel and Oster barcelet, you could feel quite sure to know from far if someone wearing a Rolex when you spot their watches with these design,..

lets cheer for Rolex !
Old 7 March 2006, 07:32 PM   #23
mineral
"TRF" Member

cheer pal.

Quote:

Old 7 March 2006, 08:26 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
That is a very good question, JJ. I have to answer with what I am wearing which is my 1680. I just commented how I am a little reluctent to wear it because of the age and condition. But I just I decided I am going to wear it and enjoy it. So I would say the fact that a Rolex can look so good and contemperary after 34 years does really amaze me. I think each of my watches has it's own attraction. =) maverick
Well I wear my 1922 unicorn,almost daily,and it should keep ticking after I am long gone,either upstairs or down.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 08:47 PM   #25
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
LoL padi but, your right it will keep on ticking long after you and me are gone!!!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 11:30 PM   #26
Atomic

I like the fact that when people notice I have a Rolex on my wrist, they automatically elevate me to a high plane on the food chain. That not only strokes my fragile ego, but it also puts the lemmings in their place too. So in that sense, it's a win-win.

Old 8 March 2006, 02:56 AM   #27
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
I like the fact that when people notice I have a Rolex on my wrist, they automatically elevate me to a high plane on the food chain. That not only strokes my fragile ego, but it also puts the lemmings in their place too. So in that sense, it's a win-win.

You maybe joking, my friend, but there is some element of truth to what you've written!

Old 8 March 2006, 03:04 AM   #28
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

You true in that statement about peoples perceptions about the Rolex.
I play poker with some "buddies" . Two sessions ago, I wore my Sub. Most wer "ooohh a Rolex" I got ribbed all night about it ( all in fun).
So last saturday I wore my PAM. Not one of them knew what it was.

Member # 293
Old 8 March 2006, 03:07 AM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
You true in that statement about peoples perceptions about the Rolex.
I play poker with some "buddies" . Two sessions ago, I wore my Sub. Most wer "ooohh a Rolex" I got ribbed all night about it ( all in fun).
So last saturday I wore my PAM. Not one of them knew what it was.
Q.E.D. Rolex only!!

Old 8 March 2006, 08:58 AM   #30
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Q.E.D. Rolex only!!
What is Q.E.D.? And why is people noticing your watch a good thing?

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote