The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2006, 11:27 AM   #1
ezwinner701

How much do you think ADs pay for their watches?

I have relatives in Asia and a few of them have bought Datejust( they are popular with asian folks) TT watches for 20-25% off List with no tax.

I'm guessing ADs must make a killing on a watch, I know they have price restrictions, but i'm guessing they atmost get their watches at 50% of list.
ezwinner701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 11:43 AM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I am not positive, but have heard they are marked up around 60%. Not sure though.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 11:50 AM   #3
ezwinner701

I wish we had an AD insider here. hehe
Old 28 March 2006, 11:54 AM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezwinner701
I wish we had an AD insider here. hehe
Val works for an AD, but the problem is with Big Brother Rolex everywhere, I wouldn't want our mate to get in trouble. I have heard that number above from a very reliable source though.

Old 28 March 2006, 12:07 PM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

I think your pretty close Daren,I've heard around 55%.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 12:08 PM   #6
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
I think your pretty close Daren,I've heard around 55%.
Thanks Mike, yeah I heard it was always hovering around those numbers.

Old 28 March 2006, 12:13 PM   #7
ezwinner701

Didn't one of the big name ADs lose their license because they were discounting the watches too much?
Old 28 March 2006, 12:13 PM   #8
High-Gear

I have seen a list of Wholesale prices on a site, and will look for it later. All I can rmemeber is the wholesale price for the Air-King was approx $1400, which retails for $3,000. these numbers fall in line with dman's info.

Just a side note: I worked a case where one of the chain jewelry stores in a mall was robbed. They gave an itemized list of their "Loss" which totaled over $30,000. I was told this was a total of what the jewelry would have sold for. I explained I needed to know what they paid for the jewlery, as this was their true loss. they refused to give me the wholesale price, and I even got guff from the corporate headquarters. When it was all said and done, their actual loss was just over $6000, near 20% of retail. Its no wonder they can offer 50% off sales, THEY ARE STILL MAKING A KILLING!

Looked at a bracelet once which was for sale at one store for $899.00. Found it at another store for $299.00. It pays to shop!
High-Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 12:16 PM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Didn't one of the big name ADs lose their license because they were discounting the watches too much?
I have heard that Rolex has the ability to pull the plug for a number of reasons, that being one of them. That being said, I know some of their big accounts give that preffered service to some and make up for it with newer customers.

Old 28 March 2006, 12:16 PM   #10
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
Hi HG...I think they might have 40% off list price...with such a popular brand, demand and such restricted policy I don't believe they have more than that.
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 07:34 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
I have relatives in Asia and a few of them have bought Datejust( they are popular with asian folks) TT watches for 20-25% off List with no tax.

I'm guessing ADs must make a killing on a watch, I know they have price restrictions, but i'm guessing they atmost get their watches at 50% of list.
Good post, Eugene.....yes, profit margins are pretty high but would differ from brand to brand. On OMEGAs and TAGs massive discounts are available. However, not sure whether that's just 'cause the dealer is eager to push those brands. On Rolex, the older DJ models are now available for fabulous discounts to make way for the newer ones.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2006, 02:15 AM   #12
Atomic

I believe Daren is right when he said around 60%. My AD hinted that the markup is in that 'hood. So if the AD pays only 40% of what the watch retails for, you can bet that Rolex is making a 100% markup when they sell to their country's distributor. And I'm sure the distributor marks up 100% to the AD.

So if an AD pays 40% of retail for the watch, then for example RUSA pays 20% of the retail price and Rolex sells for 10% of retail... and still makes a huge profit.

I'm no accountant, but that means the price of a Rolex to manufacture would be in the neighbourhood of a couple of hundred bux, max.
Old 29 March 2006, 02:16 AM   #13
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
I believe Daren is right when he said around 60%. My AD hinted that the markup is in that 'hood. So if the AD pays only 40% of what the watch retails for, you can bet that Rolex is making a 100% markup when they sell to their country's distributor. And I'm sure the distributor marks up 100% to the AD.

So if an AD pays 40% of retail for the watch, then for example RUSA pays 20% of the retail price and Rolex sells for 10% of retail... and still makes a huge profit.

I'm no accountant, but that means the price of a Rolex to manufacture would be in the neighbourhood of a couple of hundred bux, max.
Paying for marketing mate.

Old 29 March 2006, 02:20 AM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Paying for marketing mate.

That's why I have a Seiko BM. LOLOL
Old 29 March 2006, 02:28 AM   #15
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I have a very close friend who is an AD for almost everything except Rolex and Panerai. He said that Omega, Tag, Breitling and alot of the other popular brands are what they call "keystone" pricing, which is 40% of retail if the bill is paid on time. if the bill is not, and a payment account is in place then it's 50% of retail. He thinks Rolex is the same way.
Old 29 March 2006, 02:47 AM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic

Yes have to agree with you total cost,of making the Rolex Cal 3035 movement should not be any greater than say making a top spec ETA perhaps + 10% for the Brec/coil .I would say cost totally to manufacture about what they charge for a Daytona clasp retail.Now back to the question
how much do the ADs pay,for there watches,a hell of a lot less than us.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote