The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 March 2019, 05:23 AM   #1
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Wading through teh various models...

I am sure this has been asked before and there is maybe an online resource I could us to help. If so, could someone maybe give the links for me to read through, please?

I am looking to pick up a Panerai but am having a hard time outside of looking at the current models. My preferences are as follows:

- simple time only or time and date functionality
- Luminor product line
- 44MM
- at least 100M water resistance...hopefully 300M
- Flip open crown guard
- manual wound
- prefer a power reserve on rear, but not mandatory if 8 day.
- under $10K (new or used)
- I much prefer a running seconds like on the marina
- must be sandwich dial

From the current offerings, I really like the 796 and the destro adds some fun intrigue. I could go either way, but much prefer it over the other current offerings I have looked through. I find the 510 to be a bit bleh....but any thoughts on the 564..is it a painted dial? Some pictures look painted and some look like sandwich. Was there versions of both? Did they have the same movement if so?

What other models should I look into from the past? This will be a daily wear.

Thanks!
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 05:40 AM   #2
synequano
Banned

796 is the one that fulfills most of your needs but it has no date

Pam 346 fulfills most requirements but not a luminor

Pam 368 is too big

All others 6497 based luminors have no rear PR and only have 56 hours of PR
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 05:46 AM   #3
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
796 is the one that fulfills most of your needs but it has no date

Pam 346 fulfills most requirements but not a luminor

Pam 368 is too big

All others 6497 based luminors have no rear PR and only have 56 hours of PR
Thanks. I like the in house movement and I prefer no date, but if I had to take one with a date, I would not walk away.
Old 30 March 2019, 05:55 AM   #4
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I am sure this has been asked before and there is maybe an online resource I could us to help. If so, could someone maybe give the links for me to read through, please?

I am looking to pick up a Panerai but am having a hard time outside of looking at the current models. My preferences are as follows:

- Luminor product line
- 44MM
- Flip open crown guard
- manual wound
- must be sandwich dial

From the current offerings, I really like the 796 and the destro adds some fun intrigue. I could go either way, but much prefer it over the other current offerings I have looked through. I find the 510 to be a bit bleh....but any thoughts on the 564..is it a painted dial? Some pictures look painted and some look like sandwich. Was there versions of both? Did they have the same movement if so?

Thanks!
233 fits your requirement.

Both 510 and 564 has sandwich dial the first 2 years of production (something like that), and then they all get switched to painted dial. Same movement as they wasn't updated for the time being.

If you think 510 is bleh, I don't think 564 would do you much good. And neither of them has date function.

I prefer SS 44mm Panerai because I found the titanium Panerai uses is quite soft and easy (for me) to scratch / ding / dent it. YMMV.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 06:02 AM   #5
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
233 fits your requirement.

Both 510 and 564 has sandwich dial the first 2 years of production (something like that), and then they all get switched to painted dial. Same movement as they wasn't updated for the time being.

If you think 510 is bleh, I don't think 564 would do you much good. And neither of them has date function.

I prefer SS 44mm Panerai because I found the titanium Panerai uses is quite soft and easy (for me) to scratch / ding / dent it. YMMV.
Thanks. The 233 is really cool, but I need a dead simple everyday watch, so no GMT for me. I found the 564 to be more interesting because of the brown dial. I would also prefer not to have a date function.

Really good info on the titanium. I liked the brushed look, but would definitely want a harder metal. I need to shoot over to the local boutique here in Aspen and look at the current releases, I was just wondering if something from the past would fit my needs well.

Thank you again.
Old 30 March 2019, 12:59 PM   #6
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
233 dot dial (first 3 years), just keep the gmt hour hand under the local hour hand. i wear that way, love it. so you get your PR on the front instead of the back, :shrug:

awesome piece, do it.
zesty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 08:18 AM   #7
emtee
"TRF" Member

Hi mate. I pretty much just went through the same process as yourself. I ended up with the 564 for various reasons. Actually I had almost the same criteria as yourself but decided on a new model mostly because of all the dodgy fakes out there, it’s such a mine field with Panerai I didn’t wanna risk it.

My advice is go to the boutique and try on every model within your budget and get the one you like the most. Simple as that. Don’t worry about what anyone else says just get the one that sings to you. But also be smart and pay market rate ��
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 02:09 PM   #8
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
similar tastes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

- Luminor product line
- 44MM
- Flip open crown guard
- manual wound
- must be sandwich dial

Thanks!
I had a 233 dot for many years: like another poster said, I kept the GMT hand under the local hand, which kept the dial clean and uncluttered.

however I found that I wore my 233 more on the weekends, so I didn't want date... I struggled with the concept of a 47mm, but my buddy found me a 368 and with CG on the back (if you where it on the left hand), it doesn't feel too big. There is something very special about a 47mm 1950 case... the proportions is amazing when compared to a 44m betrani or the 44mm 1950.

I love PR indicator on the back so much I also bought the 190 + the JLC movement is butter!

As you can see I love 8 day movements and PR indicators on the back. I would get a 368 if you mind destro. I really like destros on the left wrist.
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote