The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 29 December 2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Datejust with aftermarket band.

What did we come up with as a collective idea on an aftermarket band with a Rolex clasp?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-2TONE-18K-G...item53dee0054a

THIS IS AN IMPRESSIVE AUTHENTIC ROLEX TWO-TONE 18K YELLOW GOLD & STAINLESS STEEL OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST WATCH WITH A GOLD DIAL THAT IS FIT FOR A KING...AND IT GET'S BETTER...IT HAS BEEN FITTED WITH A CUSTOM AFTERMARKET JUBILEE BAND.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blade%20Runner%20Racheal.jpg (267.6 KB, 195 views)
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 01:35 PM   #2
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
...good catch...

...seller says: "IT HAS BEEN FITTED WITH A CUSTOM AFTERMARKET JUBILEE BAND. "

...the presence of the Rolex stampings on this band is TRADEMARK INFRINGEMENT.

...seller should remove the band.

tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Safetrends
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorman8276 View Post
...seller says: "IT HAS BEEN FITTED WITH A CUSTOM AFTERMARKET JUBILEE BAND. "

...the presence of the Rolex stampings on this band is TRADEMARK INFRINGEMENT.

...seller should remove the band.

Thanks I knew this was incorrect however I forgot the who what when where and why.
Old 29 December 2009, 08:13 PM   #4
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
Thanks I knew this was incorrect however I forgot the who what when where and why.
just think The CAN is waiting for this one....good find.......

nudge given
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 12:55 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
There are no Rolex markings on the bracelet links so the bracelet can not be trademark infringement based on the Lanham Act. The clasp appears to be a genuine Rolex clasp.

This is not uncommon on two-tone bands for the frugal Rolex owner who is looking for an alternative to the high prices for a genuine Rolex replacement band. I'm not saying it is correct, but I don't see anything that violates the Act. The band is fully disclosed as having an aftermarket link bracelet. This is a slippery slope, which Beckertime has mastered in their auctions. As noted in the header for the auction:

MENS 2TONE 18K GOLD/STAINLESS STEEL ROLEX DATEJUST DATE
GENUINE ROLEX w/BOX,TAG & WARRANTY- LOOKS NEW ON WRIST!

One needs to read the complete auction to understand that the band is a replacement and the box & warranty are not as you would expect. Further details listed in the auction indicate that the box is a Rolex service box, and there is no Rolex warranty but a Becker warranty. Beckertime has mastered the art of parsing words to hype an auction on ebay. They have been discussed here many times here on the forum.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 02:18 AM   #6
Safetrends
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
There are no Rolex markings on the bracelet links so the bracelet can not be trademark infringement based on the Lanham Act. The clasp appears to be a genuine Rolex clasp.

This is not uncommon on two-tone bands for the frugal Rolex owner who is looking for an alternative to the high prices for a genuine Rolex replacement band. I'm not saying it is correct, but I don't see anything that violates the Act. The band is fully disclosed as having an aftermarket link bracelet. This is a slippery slope, which Beckertime has mastered in their auctions. As noted in the header for the auction:

One needs to read the complete auction to understand that the band is a replacement and the box & warranty are not as you would expect. Further details listed in the auction indicate that the box is a Rolex service box, and there is no Rolex warranty but a Becker warranty. Beckertime has mastered the art of parsing words to hype an auction on ebay. They have been discussed here many times here on the forum.
The clasp is Rolex the band is not. They have done this before.
Old 30 December 2009, 06:21 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
The clasp is Rolex the band is not. They have done this before.
Dave, the link below has several pages of threads regarding Beckertime.

http://www.rolexforums.com/search.php?searchid=1835867

They are masters of the English language and "walking on a razor's edge."

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 30 December 2009, 06:31 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

deleted post.

Old 30 December 2009, 11:39 AM   #9
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
...disagree with you on the buckle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

...definitely looks bogus...look at the bottom of the crown-just plainly too thick and more round than an arch. They have conveniently not shown the clasp and the seller says: AFTERMARKET BAND, and to ME, that means the ENTIRE band. IF anything is bogus, then it is ALL bogus.

...if the buyer/new owner would present this to a RSC, they would not service unless the buyer agreed to an expensive additional cost for a genuine band.

...seller says: "THE TWO-TONE 18K YELLOW GOLD & STAINLESS STEEL JUBILEE BRACELET IS IN PERFECT CONDITION. IT IS A CUSTOM MADE AFTERMARKET BAND OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY."

...NOWHERE does the seller say anything other than aftermarket. ***COUNTERFEIT***
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Safetrends
Banned

Quote:
...definitely looks bogus...look at the bottom of the crown-just plainly too thick and more round than an arch. They have conveniently not shown the clasp and the seller says: AFTERMARKET BAND, and to ME, that means the ENTIRE band. IF anything is bogus, then it is ALL bogus.

...if the buyer/new owner would present this to a RSC, they would not service unless the buyer agreed to an expensive additional cost for a genuine band.
I agree the seller has to be on the up and up.
Old 30 December 2009, 11:52 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Could be Stan, could be. The clasp looks like an overly polished clasp, which would make it an older counterfeit, if it were in fact counterfeit. Most of the older fakes were more rounded in the coronet opening and not oval as in this one. Also, the links look too new and do not match the worn-out clasp. I don't believe this band is a complete fake based on the pics, it appears to have a newer bracelet with an older Rolex clasp. Over-polished clasps don't look much different than this one based on his photo.

Old 30 December 2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I agree with you all but the crux of the matter is that a prospective buyer might not be aware that Rolex would probably not service this watch. At least I would say 100% that Rolex Australia would send it back to the AD untouched.

Keep up the good work.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 02:48 AM   #13
Dennis in MA
"TRF" Member

Wait. They won't touch the watch b/c the band is aftermarket???? What if you took the band off and sent them just the watch?

I agree that BT is a bit "loose" with the descriptions. The good news is that if you ask a question, you get detailed info. They have a similar real-banded 1601 on there. I asked about it - hasn't been serviced, band is in TOUGH condition (but shiny!) and it's off by 10 seconds per day.

In my novice opinion, I'd say keep walking unless the price stays way down. And/or ask some questions of Beckertime. They seem pretty open.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote