The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 August 2017, 11:53 AM   #1
liboozers
"TRF" Member

Possible surprise for wife to be on wedding day

As the title says Im thinking of surprising my wife to be with a Rolex on our wedding day. She is so supportive of me and anything I do,buy or want to get involved with. When I was looking for my Rolex she was excited for me to go see them and try them on and what not. She even said wow those are nice and how she would never buy herself one. Anyways I have it narrowed down to 2 watches which I remembered her saying she liked. The first is the Ladies Datejust 36 116200 with the pink floral /cogs face. 2nd choice is the datejust 26 179174 with the blue sticks face.
My question is I cant seem to locate the blue datejust in person to see it. So looking to TRF to see if anyone owns the dateust in the blue for some pics. Im leaning more towards that one a) due to the size (she is a small petite lady) and think it would look better/fit her better and b) she loves blue. The pink is nice when she saw it in person but it was kinda big for her.
liboozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 12:06 PM   #2
WhiskeyKoffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I can't give you any insight on which Rolex to choose, but I applaud your post and I HIGHLY encourage you to get her one or the other. Trust me, life has a way of throwing you unexpected curve balls and you never know what tomorrow brings. You have to live in the moment. Your/her wedding day will be beyond special. Don't make it a possible surprise. Make it a surprise. I promise you won't regret it.

Next/Last 126600
WhiskeyKoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 12:14 PM   #3
Rjongco
"TRF" Member

The 26 will be harder to find since it's been discontinued. That said you can probably get a great deal on it
Rjongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 12:16 PM   #4
Danex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Datejust comes in 31mm size as well. A good compromise.

My bride got a Rolex as a wedding present and it was a hit. Her watch is a 35mm Yachtmaster and she is very petite. The Rolex fit is amazing.

116520 Cosmograph Daytona
116622 & 16622 Yacht-Master
114060 & 14060 Submariner
Danex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 01:00 PM   #5
liboozers
"TRF" Member

I appreciate all the feedback on my post. I am leaning towards doing this for her. I do agree about not knowing what life can throw at you and living in the moment.
Old 15 August 2017, 01:32 PM   #6
luvchnl
"TRF" Member

Have you seen the 28mm ladies DateJust? It is gorgeous! The perfect size in my opinioln for a lady with smaller wrist/body size. The 28mm has a slightly larger dial, case, & sapphire crystal. If she loved the 26mm, she will really love the 28mm as it's just a tiny bit larger. Very elegant DateJust. It comes in several dial choices, I don't believe all the choices are shown on the Rolex website yet. Take a serious look at he 28mm ( https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...9174-0013.html ) It's on my wish list at the moment.

She may like the 31mm as well. It's larger than the 26/28, but not overly large, still definitely a ladies watch ;) ( https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...8274-0037.html )

Congratulations to you both on your upcoming wedding :)
Old 16 August 2017, 12:30 AM   #7
liboozers
"TRF" Member

I will look into the 28 and 31. The issued is she loves a blue dial on the watch. The 28 on rolex website doesn't show the blue dial. The 31 does come with the blue dial. If it is too big for her then Ill be looking for an older 26 in blue.
Old 16 August 2017, 12:44 AM   #8
OpusXIII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, Hulk, DJ
I'd definitely go with the 31mm. My wife is petite and she was certain that the 28 was the one for her. That is, until she tried them on. The 28 was just too small. The 31 was a perfect fit.
Old 16 August 2017, 12:50 AM   #9
armen34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liboozers View Post
I will look into the 28 and 31. The issued is she loves a blue dial on the watch. The 28 on rolex website doesn't show the blue dial. The 31 does come with the blue dial. If it is too big for her then Ill be looking for an older 26 in blue.
If she has tiny wrist go with 31 otherwise stick to your original plan if the 36. Good luck and congrats to both of you.
armen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 01:06 AM   #10
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
This is an awesome idea. I even recommend having the back engraved with your wedding date or something like "our love is timeless" corny I know. If there is one that she liked more then the other, then that is the one I would get. ASs men, we sometimes like to try and get what we lke better and forget the gift is not for us. I am sure she will love whichever one you pick. Personally, I like the pink dial. Congratulations on your wedding and good luck!
Oceanlover914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 01:19 AM   #11
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

26mm? Damn thats small. A 31mm would be a better size IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 11:51 PM   #12
liboozers
"TRF" Member

OK long time away from this thread and finally had a chance to have her try on some watches at our local AD. They had the 31 and the 26 in stock, but he didnt have any 28. for us to see/try on. I think the 28 might be a good size for her but she actually likes the 26. The 31 was too big for her so we got the size figured out. Then she was all over the place regarding smooth or fluted bezel and was unsure which she liked better the oyster or jubilee. But she loved the blue so looks like I'm gonna get her a blue 26mm jubilee.
Old 20 September 2017, 02:04 AM   #13
Jenkinscc
"TRF" Member

What a sweet surprise!
Jenkinscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:12 AM   #14
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Are you crazy! NO, NO, NO, definitely do not choose a watch FOR her even if you have an inkling what she would like!

I've been married 30 years and so I'm qualified to TELL you NOT to make this mistake.

Her "liking" is different from her choosing from all the different options you can have on a DJ. My wife took four visits to our AD last month to choose her new DJ. She was unaware that the DJ31 has a diamond bezel option. She had to decide what material, SS or TT, which dial, whether to have the "sweepings" at VI, which bracelet, and changed her mind a number of times. But she eventually came away with the perfect watch to last her a few decades.

It may seem a great gesture but she's sure to get more from it by carefully choosing a watch when she knows her choice will lead to actual ownership, not a flight of fancy as was perhaps the case when you visited the AD looking at a watch for you. Why not tell her you want to take her to choose a Rolex for her very own. She'll love you all the more for NOT making the choice for her.

Over the years I have "surprised" my wife with diamond bracelets, diamond rings, Chanel handbags, a new car for her birthday last year, and a £10,000 Rolex for her birthday this year BUT... the golden rule for surprises for women is "never surprise them unless they have chosen exactly what you are giving them."

DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 08:02 AM   #15
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
Are you crazy! NO, NO, NO, definitely do not choose a watch FOR her even if you have an inkling what she would like!

I've been married 30 years and so I'm qualified to TELL you NOT to make this mistake.

Her "liking" is different from her choosing from all the different options you can have on a DJ. My wife took four visits to our AD last month to choose her new DJ. She was unaware that the DJ31 has a diamond bezel option. She had to decide what material, SS or TT, which dial, whether to have the "sweepings" at VI, which bracelet, and changed her mind a number of times. But she eventually came away with the perfect watch to last her a few decades.

It may seem a great gesture but she's sure to get more from it by carefully choosing a watch when she knows her choice will lead to actual ownership, not a flight of fancy as was perhaps the case when you visited the AD looking at a watch for you. Why not tell her you want to take her to choose a Rolex for her very own. She'll love you all the more for NOT making the choice for her.

Over the years I have "surprised" my wife with diamond bracelets, diamond rings, Chanel handbags, a new car for her birthday last year, and a £10,000 Rolex for her birthday this year BUT... the golden rule for surprises for women is "never surprise them unless they have chosen exactly what you are giving them."

I thought OP already went shopping with his wife, she picked her favorite and now it's just a matter of finding it.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 08:46 AM   #16
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I thought OP already went shopping with his wife, she picked her favorite and now it's just a matter of finding it.
Yes but they can change their mind just like we can as well. Only more so.

My wife and I looked for quite a few months.
Looking at this brand and that brand and then another and another.
Not to mention trying on the different models that were contenders.

My wife had set a sensible firm spend limit in her mind which she wasn't moving from as it was the first higher end watch she was looking at ever owning.

Months went buy and we had no joy in making a decision only that it would exclusively be a Rolex with a White MOP dial and one day we had a bit of time up our sleeve so we went looking again whilst in the watch shopping district.
I had previously seen a model we hadn't seriously considered before for a number of reasons which I thought would be a good option but also well above her strictly imposed spend limit.
So we did the usual trying on thing again with my end game strategy being to catch her off guard a little.
Then I asked if we(we being the operative word) could try on the model I had previously seen.
Bingo job done
It really sang to her straight away

As we talked about it afterward whilst we were walking down the street we stopped to cross the road at the lights where she grabbed me by the arm to turn me around and said "I take back all of what I said about the spending limit. I want that watch, I absolutely want that watch".
It's a scary thing when a woman gets that certain look in her eye but it's a rarity and you've got to go with it.

Job done, except for finding the best example of White MOP available and getting the best price out of my favourite AD.
The rest is history and I am absolutely convinced they will be prying the watch out of her cold dead hand to the exclusion of all else.

In summary.
It's best when the watch really sings to her
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 09:23 AM   #17
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
As we talked about it afterward whilst we were walking down the street we stopped to cross the road at the lights where she grabbed me by the arm to turn me around and said "I take back all of what I said about the spending limit. I want that watch, I absolutely want that watch".
It's a scary thing when a woman gets that certain look in her eye but it's a rarity and you've got to go with it.

Old 20 September 2017, 11:20 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

It's also how they pick husbands. We don't got no choice in the matter.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 12:16 PM   #19
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's also how they pick husbands. We don't got no choice in the matter.
So I hear.

How does it go?
The man chases the woman, until she catches him?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 01:44 PM   #20
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
This...

Ladies Datejust 36 116200 with the pink floral /cogs face

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:14 PM   #21
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Ladies Datejust 36 116200 with the pink floral /cogs face
It's cute, but best as a 2nd Rolex.

For first I vote for 31mm w/ Blue face in this particular case:
https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...8274-0037.html

https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...8274-0081.html

https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...8274-0048.html
Old 20 September 2017, 08:37 PM   #22
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"I want that watch, I absolutely want that watch".

This is precisely what happened with my wife. Initially it was troubling her to choose the right "ingredients" for her DJ. Then when it all came together she was overwhelmed with excitement.

Her DJ31 and my DJ41 choices...

Old 20 September 2017, 08:39 PM   #23
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope.

"Anyways I have it narrowed down to 2 watches which I remembered her saying she liked."

No "picked" there, just the OP's memory (dangerous for a man!) of TWO watches (which one is THE one?) she "liked" (not loved).
Old 20 September 2017, 08:49 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Those are some great choices on the watches. I would not surprise her I would go and let her pick knowing that this is her watch. Many things change and it is a big purchase not to get exactly right. What we like and what we want to personal own are sometimes two different things.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:37 PM   #25
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

There is an old Russian saying that when you give someone a watch, your time with that person starts ticking. While that should not keep anyone from gifting watches in general, maybe something to consider if you do it on your wedding day.

On a less superstitious note though, don't you think you'll both already be quite overwhelmed with your wedding day as it would be? Perhaps a better idea to go purchase a watch with her in a nice place during your honeymoon. That way, she can come along, chose one she likes and have it as a memory of your great time for the res of her life, not just as one more thing that happened on a day that will probably be full of lifetime memories.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:36 PM   #26
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post

On a less superstitious note though, don't you think you'll both already be quite overwhelmed with your wedding day as it would be? Perhaps a better idea to go purchase a watch with her in a nice place during your honeymoon. That way, she can come along, chose one she likes and have it as a memory of your great time for the rest of her life, not just as one more thing that happened on a day that will probably be full of lifetime memories.
I had that exact same thought. Buying a Rolex is quite an occasion in itself, so to gift one on your wedding day would be to lose out on a separate memorable event, albeit not quite as big a one as the wedding.

Old 20 September 2017, 11:46 PM   #27
luvan12
"TRF" Member

What an awesome surprise!
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 04:28 AM   #28
liboozers
"TRF" Member

Ok originally when I was deciding to buy/surprise her with a watch for the wedding I did say I had it narrowed down to 2 watches which I remembered her saying she liked. The first is the dj36 with the pink floral /cogs face. 2nd choice is the dj 26 with the blue sticks face.
With that being said this past weekend we were shopping and stopped by an AD and I managed to get her to try on some watches. I took everyone's advice and had her try on the dj36, the dj31 and the dj26. As I stated she is very small and petite and I thought the 36 and even the 31 would be too big for her. As she tried them on and spoke to the salesperson she told him she liked the pink floral/cogs and she liked the blue face. He showed her both and informed her that the pink floral/cogs can only be purchased in 36. With that she tried it on and was not in love with it due to the size. She said it's not her favorite and she doesn't like the size. She said straight up to both him and I that 36 is too big for her. So she then tried on the 31 and 26. He didn't have a 28 for her to try on and will call us when he gets them in to try on. As of now the size she wants and likes is the 26.
Size done. 26
Now while at the AD she looked at all the different colors and he even took out the book to show all the colors for this year. She loved the ice blue and that's when I laughed and said you don't get ice blue until I get one and she asked why and I explained that's for platinum only and she was like no way that's too much money. So after looking at all the different options she narrowed it down to 2. Silver or blue so we were making progress at this point. After side by side trying them both on she decided on blue. Likes how it looks and it also pops/stands out as opposed to the silver on silver. Then the salesperson explained she needed to pick either sticks, numerals, or diamonds for the markers. She said she didn't care after trying on all 3. And then she said I like the sticks due to it looking less busy.
Color/markers done. Blue/sticks
When it came to the bezel she didn't really have a favorite she liked them both. She said the smooth she is afraid over time it getting scratched/banged up. The fluted she said it's nice and makes it look a little more elegant and when the salesperson explained it was white gold so that would raise the price a bit she laughed and said of course I like the expensive options lol.
Bezel done. Either
Then the last decision to make was the band either the oyster or the jubilee. She didn't have a favorite with the bands neither. She said the oyster was nice and looked more sporty and said it looks like my band I have and she may want to have it brushed. The jubilee she liked also and as she said wow it looks more elegant. She even made a joke saying if she got a jubilee then maybe I could get a matching watch so we can have a his/hers set. She knows me too well because I was thinking and planning to eventually do that.
Band done. Jubilee

So with that I now know which one she wants and will confirm right before I purchase it for her. Easy to get her into the store due to the fact I always want to see/try on something new.
On a sad note I had it all figured out next watch was going to be the Hulk. I tried it on again and after having my gmt I don't like the thickness of the submariner.
Old 10 February 2018, 02:26 PM   #29
liboozers
"TRF" Member

Ok long time since I last posted about this. As everyone was mentioning I should let her pick it out so I can confirm it is the one she wants. Just like everyone else she changed her mind. Size was still the same 26mm
she didn't want anything bigger. Not so long ago we were in the store and she saw a pink dj26. Originally she loved the dj36 in pink floral/cog. Salesperson explained it didn't come in pink 26mm. He showed her another pink watch but this was the salmon pink and she hated it. She wanted the same pink as the floral. Then while in the store she said that the oyster bracelt was growing in her more along with roman numerals and a smooth bezel. So good thing I never got the original one she said she wanted which was a dj26 in blue with fluted and jubilee. So then I found the exact watch from good old DavidSW. Dj26 in pink smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. So anyways we got to talking about the wedding which is 3 weeks away and she said we have everything we need and a great honeymoon coming up.
So I was trying to hold out to give her the watch for our wedding. We have been doing so much planning and spending for the wedding that we agreed to not get each other a wedding gift. (Insert chuckle here). This was decided after I picked out her watch already and paid for it. So she made a big deal about no gifts on the day of the wedding. She didn't want to be caught blindsided on the wedding day and not have anything to give me. So I agreed and "surprised" her today with the watch. See today is her birthday and told her I got her something little. She made me me promise no birthday gifts also due to the wedding. So I took the watch out of the box and put it on a stuffed animal and put that in a gift bag. She takes the animal out of the bag and was like "oh ok it's cute". While further looking she sees the metal band and was like wait what is this. Then she finally looked at it and realized what it was. She was over the moon and like wait I can't have this it's too much money. Then she was like but it's so pretty and the exact one I wanted. I told her make sure she likes it because we can find/get a different one. Jokingly she was like no return it and get yourself something. All while she kept staring at the watch. I did tell her it was supposed to be for the wedding but didn't want to start the day with her getting mad or upset with me. I then said no I got this for you I knew you wanted this one. Don't worry about me I have a watch already, besides I may have another watch hidden where I hid yours lol.
Old 10 February 2018, 03:18 PM   #30
Foxglove
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
My wife loves her Date just 36mm 116234. She has very small wrists and still fits and looks great. She's 5'1" and small wrists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Foxglove is offline   Reply With Quote