The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 May 2017, 05:09 AM   #61
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Good man. Fortunate, those kids of yours
I am fortunate to have them , All work hard , behave properly , no trouble , good kids ,well youngest is 22 ,29, 31

Showing my Age now
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 07:36 AM   #62
Jsf721
"TRF" Member

When I was shopping at my AD of choice and have purchased many watches over the years. (not all Rolex watches) I was looking for a Daytona I ended up walking out because we were not on the same wavelength as far as price, and he was making it like he was doing ME a Favor. He came around shortly and I did purchased the watch at what I think was a fair price, he asked me to be honest, was I buying with selling in mind, or buying it to wear. I said, its going to be my new daily why?

He said these watches are very easily flipped because demand it high, and supply low and he only sells to his best customers. If I flipped it, and it went for Rolex service Center under a different name than it was sold, his supply of incoming hard to get models is reduced which greatly effects his ability to supply his best customers with hard to get watches, which lessens his draw if top tier customers. I'm dealing directly with a principal so I have reason to doubt the validity of his info.
Jsf721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:50 AM   #63
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
I do know that back when the Milgauss GV was super hard to get and selling for way over list on the secondary market, my AD got me one. I quickly realised that it was not for me and listed it for sale on TRF and TZ. The guy who sold it to me at my local AD called me a few days later and said Rolex knew that is was from their AD and that it was for sale on the forums.

I don't know how Rolex knows this stuff but they do.
Absent matching the serial numbers, or the seller displaying the card with the AD's name, how the hell can they know this?
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:56 AM   #64
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsf721 View Post
When I was shopping at my AD of choice and have purchased many watches over the years. (not all Rolex watches) I was looking for a Daytona I ended up walking out because we were not on the same wavelength as far as price, and he was making it like he was doing ME a Favor. He came around shortly and I did purchased the watch at what I think was a fair price, he asked me to be honest, was I buying with selling in mind, or buying it to wear. I said, its going to be my new daily why?

He said these watches are very easily flipped because demand it high, and supply low and he only sells to his best customers. If I flipped it, and it went for Rolex service Center under a different name than it was sold, his supply of incoming hard to get models is reduced which greatly effects his ability to supply his best customers with hard to get watches, which lessens his draw if top tier customers. I'm dealing directly with a principal so I have reason to doubt the validity of his info.
You were trying to negotiate on price for the SS ceramic Daytona? And the AD chased you up after you left?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:06 AM   #65
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Once you pay the AD for it and leave the store with it, it's yours to do what you like with.

Considering a lot of AD's are selling these to grey dealers or upping the asking price for them anyway, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Life's too short to worry what Rolex or your AD think. You're not beholdent to them for anything.

In any case, you could be buying it as a gift for someone else. What's it got to do with them?

The simple fact we are even discussing it brings to the forefront how precious AD's have become over selling a simple watch!
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:08 AM   #66
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
I am fortunate to have them , All work hard , behave properly , no trouble , good kids ,well youngest is 22 ,29, 31

Showing my Age now
If you ever come around a daytona C again contact me ;-) My son is 2, but I will still get him one!

You sir are a good man.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:40 AM   #67
Seanken
Banned

Interesting. It appears to me that Rolex is a rather odd-duck company. They sell widgets to the public through dealers. Thousands of companies do their business exactly the same way. I might be out on planet nine here, but it looks like Rolex doesn't like anyone in their new or like new supply chain making more then they planned on. I further posit that Rolex wants to maximize their margins and by monitoring grey market prices they can decide to increase their prices or not.

Someone at Rolex is WAY over thinking things.

Another point here is that they seem to be rather fascistic with their AD's. I guess if there is a lot of profit in being a Rolex dealer they have to put up with it.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:44 AM   #68
Seanken
Banned

It occurs to me that out of thousands of AD's out there that one of them might read this forum and give us all some solid answers as to how the AD / Rolex relationship works.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:45 AM   #69
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Once you pay the AD for it and leave the store with it, it's yours to do what you like with.

Considering a lot of AD's are selling these to grey dealers or upping the asking price for them anyway, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Life's too short to worry what Rolex or your AD think. You're not beholdent to them for anything.

In any case, you could be buying it as a gift for someone else. What's it got to do with them?

The simple fact we are even discussing it brings to the forefront how precious AD's have become over selling a simple watch!

Almost mafia like.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:49 AM   #70
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post

Could not agree more. I know of a major AD that was funneling them out the back door at 2k over MSRP.

It is what is is.
Old 20 September 2017, 12:42 PM   #71
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
it's not a weapons system sold to a foreign country with an end user certificate. It's your damn watch purchased with your damn money. Do with it as you will and don't worry about unnecessary nonsense and silly comments from endless worriers.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:03 PM   #72
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanken View Post
It occurs to me that out of thousands of AD's out there that one of them might read this forum and give us all some solid answers as to how the AD / Rolex relationship works.
They have, that's where a lot of talk on ADs and Rolex has come from as there has clearly been a sea change, esp in the UK.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:54 PM   #73
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
If they really cared about that kind of thing, they would clamp down on grey dealers.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:01 PM   #74
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
If they really cared about that kind of thing, they would clamp down on grey dealers.
Since Rolex created and supports the grey network, that wont happen.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:06 PM   #75
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Really?.....
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:16 PM   #76
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
If ADs get in trouble for this how do the trusted sellers here offer so many BNIB offerings year in and year out, every one of them came from an AD, and I'm sure every grey seller has a "go to" AD to source what they want on the regular, that's how they get the discount to sell to you at a discount that still nets them a profit. These things aren't falling off the back of trucks in some dark alley
Agree 1000%.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:41 PM   #77
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

A better way for Rolex to control this is simply to produce more. Problem solved. It seems a bit silly to monitor what's for sale and go about it that way.

Porsche has been chastising flippers and collectors over the years. Recently car "investors" we're furious that Porsche is going to offer a manual again (certain models). THey cried that it's devaluing their special editions. Porsche said "shut up, our cars are meant to be driven and we will produce what the market wants". Then they announced the new GT2RS and said they will produce as many as the market wants. No limited run.
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:49 PM   #78
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
A better way for Rolex to control this is simply to produce more. Problem solved. It seems a bit silly to monitor what's for sale and go about it that way.

Porsche has been chastising flippers and collectors over the years. Recently car "investors" we're furious that Porsche is going to offer a manual again (certain models). THey cried that it's devaluing their special editions. Porsche said "shut up, our cars are meant to be driven and we will produce what the market wants". Then they announced the new GT2RS and said they will produce as many as the market wants. No limited run.
No limit? that's surprising.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:40 AM   #79
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman View Post
Once you walk out the door you can do what you want with the watch, it's your property.
this
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:53 AM   #80
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
The sell watches they are not the CIA
hahahahahahhahahahahahaha:dum my::dumm y::dummy ::rof l:
Old 21 September 2017, 01:05 AM   #81
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
My AD is a independent , Rolex do and have checked what discounts they allow on new items and who they sell the new hard to get pieces too, My last conversation was around discounts, It would seam they would rather over pay on a px and lose money when they sold that or just break even on the sale of the watch they take back than be seen to discount new sales. lots of ADs get there franchises pulled because they don't do The correct Rolex way.

Of course you can sell your new watch you are free too do as you wish, but if the reseller plasters the card details on the internet or as I have seen with some Sellers stating this watch was purchased in the U.K. This may at xxxxxxxxxx It isn't exactly hard to establish who bought it and who isn't really playing the game,

I had three Ceramic Daytonas last year all at list ,And a new 43 SeaDweller, I have also. Been asked to loan back watches to show potential customers , TRUST is something forum members build with there ADs, buying to flip isn't really playing the game imho. I have three boys so they all get one each , 43 is for my dad this Christmas ,

My Grandfather always said let your conscience be your guide , Don't buy to flip, If you see something in the window and it's a hard to get piece grab it and give it to a mate on here. List plus the price of a nice lunch.

My two cents
Dad, is that you? 30 year old long lost son here.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:24 AM   #82
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Rolex dealers are a law unto themselves, just this week I was at a very well know AD here in California. I asked about trading in a PM Rolex, that I personally purchased at an AD.

He offered me a pittance for it and then informed me that he wouldn't even try to sell it in his store, that he would immediately pass it on to a grey market dealer.

I was somewhat suprised that an AD would admit to a complete stranger that they sell to the grey market.
My local AD chastised me when I told him I was thinking of buying a Rolex from a foreign dutyfree , He said that I'd be liable for tax ect .
Ten minutes later he told me how he got a gold sub as a long service award but the AD never put it through their books to save paying tax.
They'll say anything to insure your custom or make a sale , ADs are the last people anyone should listen to when it comes to Rolex gossip
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:51 AM   #83
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
ADs report their sales to Rolex. So if the AD is discounting too much or too many, they can certainly hear from Rolex. But how would they know how much you flip it for unless you or your buyer publicly share the sales price and the serial?

I believe in freedom to sell whatever property you want for however much you want. But I also believe in Rolex's right to strip an AD for just about any reason (besides discrimination of course) or for no reason at all.

As others have said, I don't think Rolex really wants to solve this "problem."

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:09 AM   #84
Simon_e
"TRF" Member

I believe the lost and stolen register no longer works for the public but does for the dealers. As soon as a grey market AD gets in a watch they check it isn't stolen with an AD. Rolex then knows when a watch has been flipped.
Old 21 September 2017, 03:23 AM   #85
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
My local AD chastised me when I told him I was thinking of buying a Rolex from a foreign dutyfree , He said that I'd be liable for tax ect .
Ten minutes later he told me how he got a gold sub as a long service award but the AD never put it through their books to save paying tax.
They'll say anything to insure your custom or make a sale , ADs are the last people anyone should listen to when it comes to Rolex gossip
Seems like you have spoken to Jonathan, he told me the same story about the blue dial gold sub around 6 years ago.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 03:25 AM   #86
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Deep down inside Rolex don't care.
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:07 AM   #87
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post

I think the clamping has begun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:36 AM   #88
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Big Brother Rolex is watching you... this is not going to go well for Rolex... they better check themselves before they wreck themselves...
Ice cube?
Old 19 November 2017, 11:18 AM   #89
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1
Awful lot of "it's my right" talk on this thread. And it is true, as far as it goes, as long as one doesn't care about anyone else.

My AD is a locally-owned jeweler that has serviced my community since the mid 1800s. It is a smallish city, only 45,000 people. The owner played basketball in high school with my Mom's cousins and my uncle is his son's hockey coach. The salesperson who actually sold me my first and only Rolex last week grew up on a dairy farm just out of town. She went to high school with my cousins. Other cousins are in local politics down there. The point is, this is not just some faceless bunch of people selling watches. They are people that we know and care about.

So while it is my right to do what I want with my watch, if it harms people that know me and whom I care about, I'm not going to insist on my right. I'm going to think very strongly about whether it is worth doing.

Even at an AD that I didn't know, I'd think twice if my actions might harm them somehow. Buying a Rolex isn't going up the Automat and getting a sandwich. There are real people on the other end of the transaction and I think they deserve a bit of consideration if for nothing else than they are fellow human beings with feelings, hopes, ambitions, families, etc.

Buying a watch just to flip it or telling one's self that you've got your rights and no one is going to tell you what to do is probably a smart thing to do. A man I admire once said that in this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years, I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You can quote me.
SevenWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 01:46 PM   #90
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Yeah, it isn't quite like buying a new Ford GT where you have to practically promise to surrender your eldest child if you ever sell it. Lol. Do as you wish.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote