The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2017, 01:41 PM   #31
Esoteric
"TRF" Member

Rolex dealers are a law unto themselves, just this week I was at a very well know AD here in California. I asked about trading in a PM Rolex, that I personally purchased at an AD.

He offered me a pittance for it and then informed me that he wouldn't even try to sell it in his store, that he would immediately pass it on to a grey market dealer.

I was somewhat suprised that an AD would admit to a complete stranger that they sell to the grey market.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 02:20 PM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you want to sell a watch, that's your business. If you chose to sell one immediately after buying it you should protect your AD by keeping them out of it. If you don't know how to do that, don't go flipping new watches.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:30 PM   #33
mercman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 D-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post

He offered me a pittance for it and then informed me that he wouldn't even try to sell it in his store, that he would immediately pass it on to a grey market dealer.

I was somewhat suprised that an AD would admit to a complete stranger that they sell to the grey market.
Nothing new, when I purchased my first D-Blue the AD asked me if I wanted to do a trade with the TT Sub I was wearing. Although I wasn't interested I asked him how much he would allow on the watch, he picked up the phone, spoke to a guy then offered me 3k, when I stopped laughing I asked how he arrived at that figure, he said he wouldn't sell it in store and that was the price offered by a couple of guys he sells secondhand and slow moving stock to.
mercman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:34 PM   #34
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Meh. Who knows.

However I had a grey here that wouldn't sell me a NIB LV unless I agreed that they retain the green tag or they peel off the sticker. Their reasoning was that the watch could be traced back to the original AD in Sweden and that could cause that AD some grief with Rolex.

Personally I'm guessing Rolex is happy to have their product sold however. Wink wink.

Other greys have told me something similar. NIB watches will never be displayed with the green hang tag visible in case of some sort of Rolex "spot check."
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:05 PM   #35
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Rolex dealers are a law unto themselves, just this week I was at a very well know AD here in California. I asked about trading in a PM Rolex, that I personally purchased at an AD.

But that's used watch right? That's common knowledge that used watches go to grey market or other stores selling used Rolex and not at AD.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:19 PM   #36
Shaky
"TRF" Member

My AD told me that they sold a DaytonaC to someone and within a few hours it was on eBay.
Not sure how he knew but he did. If the buyer did have a previous relationship with that AD he certainly didn't after that.

I was told that Rolex at least in the UK will blacklist known flippers.

To me it's about maintaining the relationship with your AD as opposed to upsetting Rolex

Of course this is all hearsay evidence.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:25 PM   #37
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTRolex View Post
I thought Rolex were all rare
Well if you believe some of the internet hype they all must be rare,after all Rolex at one time were making and selling over 1000000 units a year..Now around 8500000 making them extremely rare watches in the market place now.Afraid today there is a lot of complete boswellocks about Rolex watches on the net,and it saddens me to say much spoken by ADs.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:38 PM   #38
chfoong
"TRF" Member

Lol is this for real? Can we have a bit of common sense for our questions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chfoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:48 PM   #39
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by chfoong View Post
Lol is this for real? Can we have a bit of common sense for our questions?

Actually it is NOT if people really read the OP's post. He's not asking if he can sell the watch or not yet you read majority of replies that he can sell as its his watch. The point here is will the AD getting dinged if Rolex knows that it came from particular AD and reading couple of replies it looks like Rolex can figure out once in a while and especially for rare pieces. SD43 and DC500 is hot right now and its a valid question by OP IMO.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:00 PM   #40
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Im not sure how they can find out unless the flipper reveals the serial / card with ADs name. I guess maybe this was the case with Mayors - maybe a "For Sale" Ad went up with pics revealing part of the card
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:03 PM   #41
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would have thought that the AD passing on preowned pieces to a seperate entity/seller would be common knowledge.

I have seen ADs buy back watches only to pass it to a sister company to resell. This also happens in other industries.
Old 27 May 2017, 09:23 PM   #42
chfoong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Actually it is NOT if people really read the OP's post. He's not asking if he can sell the watch or not yet you read majority of replies that he can sell as its his watch. The point here is will the AD getting dinged if Rolex knows that it came from particular AD and reading couple of replies it looks like Rolex can figure out once in a while and especially for rare pieces. SD43 and DC500 is hot right now and its a valid question by OP IMO.

I think I understand what OP was asking and I still stand behind my comment. Rolex can go ahead and figure whatever the hell they want, question is why would they? It doesn't make sense on a lot of levels. You can tell me all day I heard from my AD blah blah blah but I would go ahead and rank this question the same as "can I wet my Rolex?"

Old 27 May 2017, 09:28 PM   #43
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think Rolex getting upset at the AD has nothing to do with the hot models such as the Daytona-C. It is probably all of the regular inventory of DJ's and less popular models. Once purchased an item is mine and I will do with it as I please. As far as messing myself up with the AD I don't see that as long as they are making money off my transactions.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:36 PM   #44
flyingtiger85
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog359 View Post
If you are worried put your tin foil hat on when you go to sell it. Big brother will never know then.

Lol
flyingtiger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 10:04 PM   #45
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I think Rolex getting upset at the AD has nothing to do with the hot models such as the Daytona-C. It is probably all of the regular inventory of DJ's and less popular models. Once purchased an item is mine and I will do with it as I please. As far as messing myself up with the AD I don't see that as long as they are making money off my transactions.
I agree everyone is still making their money, however if you have a relationship with an AD and they get you that must have piece really early after launch and you flip it within a few days, everyone has still made their cash, but will that AD make sure you are an early buyer of the next must have ??

My view would be there are a crap load of people who they can call instead of you who will still buy it.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 10:13 PM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
I agree everyone is still making their money, however if you have a relationship with an AD and they get you that must have piece really early after launch and you flip it within a few days, everyone has still made their cash, but will that AD make sure you are an early buyer of the next must have ??

My view would be there are a crap load of people who they can call instead of you who will still buy it.
Have to agree and I know one AD who had said as much to me.

This line of thinking would vary I'm sure, from AD to AD, but there are certain ones that really like serving the customers who they know want the watch to enjoy and wear
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 10:54 PM   #47
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Never disclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono_lando View Post
I've heard from several collectors that Rolex can find out if a limited piece has been flipped. Then hurts the AD.

the serial numbers or AD name in your ads. Other than an agent of Rolex buying the watch they will never find out, unless, the watch is a lemon and needs immediate warranty service. Tough break there for the AD.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 12:08 AM   #48
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
All of the stories about mandatory engraving, holding the books, etc. are just stories. It's not Rolex policy.
I was told at an AD yesterday by a salesman that they received a letter from Rolex (he wasn't sure if it was Rolex USA or Rolex in Switzerland) that they were supposed to take stickers off all Daytonas sold.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 02:12 PM   #49
Chrono_lando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post

you rock.

Chrono_lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 02:17 PM   #50
Chrono_lando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfoong View Post
I think I understand what OP was asking and I still stand behind my comment. Rolex can go ahead and figure whatever the hell they want, question is why would they? It doesn't make sense on a lot of levels. You can tell me all day I heard from my AD blah blah blah but I would go ahead and rank this question the same as "can I wet my Rolex?"

I'd like to keep a good relationship with my AD. If the post doesn't make sense to you....don't read it.

Chrono_lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 02:29 PM   #51
chfoong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd like to keep a good relationship with my AD. If the post doesn't make sense to you....don't read it.

Good to know, OK

Old 28 May 2017, 03:06 PM   #52
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

So let me get this straight. You're concerned about your AD or Rolex finding out what YOU did with a watch YOU paid for, with YOUR OWN money?
In my opinion, it's my money, my property and I'm entitled to do with it as I please.
Old 28 May 2017, 03:08 PM   #53
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

OP, you're the one that created the thread and solicited opinions. With that in my mind, you have to accept the fact you may not like some of their suggestions.
Old 28 May 2017, 03:12 PM   #54
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Which piece is "limited"?
Well if they made one
Old 28 May 2017, 04:25 PM   #55
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, X-33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod297 View Post
Remember, this is a Company that allows their watches to be sold at "COSTCO"!!

That should tell you what they really think!
I don't think they allow it; those are gray market watches, if I understand it right.

So, as has been pointed out in this thread, Costco can acquire a watch from anyone/anywhere and resell if if they think they can make a buck.

They're not ADs, though.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 04:29 PM   #56
lovetherolex
Banned

It's not a legality issue, OP is clearly concerned for the well being of his AD and/or his own relationship with said AD. It's clear that both of these things could be affected. Does anyone dispute that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Look, keep it from getting wet, do not wear it when you travel out of the U.S.
What is the basis for these statements?
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 04:58 PM   #57
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If you want to sell a watch, that's your business. If you chose to sell one immediately after buying it you should protect your AD by keeping them out of it. If you don't know how to do that, don't go flipping new watches.
My AD is a independent , Rolex do and have checked what discounts they allow on new items and who they sell the new hard to get pieces too, My last conversation was around discounts, It would seam they would rather over pay on a px and lose money when they sold that or just break even on the sale of the watch they take back than be seen to discount new sales. lots of ADs get there franchises pulled because they don't do The correct Rolex way.

Of course you can sell your new watch you are free too do as you wish, but if the reseller plasters the card details on the internet or as I have seen with some Sellers stating this watch was purchased in the U.K. This may at xxxxxxxxxx It isn't exactly hard to establish who bought it and who isn't really playing the game,

I had three Ceramic Daytonas last year all at list ,And a new 43 SeaDweller, I have also. Been asked to loan back watches to show potential customers , TRUST is something forum members build with there ADs, buying to flip isn't really playing the game imho. I have three boys so they all get one each , 43 is for my dad this Christmas ,

My Grandfather always said let your conscience be your guide , Don't buy to flip, If you see something in the window and it's a hard to get piece grab it and give it to a mate on here. List plus the price of a nice lunch.

My two cents
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 05:16 PM   #58
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
My AD is a independent , Rolex do and have checked what discounts they allow on new items and who they sell the new hard to get pieces too, My last conversation was around discounts, It would seam they would rather over pay on a px and lose money when they sold that or just break even on the sale of the watch they take back than be seen to discount new sales. lots of ADs get there franchises pulled because they don't do The correct Rolex way.

Of course you can sell your new watch you are free too do as you wish, but if the reseller plasters the card details on the internet or as I have seen with some Sellers stating this watch was purchased in the U.K. This may at xxxxxxxxxx It isn't exactly hard to establish who bought it and who isn't really playing the game,

I had three Ceramic Daytonas last year all at list ,And a new 43 SeaDweller, I have also. Been asked to loan back watches to show potential customers , TRUST is something forum members build with there ADs, buying to flip isn't really playing the game imho. I have three boys so they all get one each , 43 is for my dad this Christmas ,

My Grandfather always said let your conscience be your guide , Don't buy to flip, If you see something in the window and it's a hard to get piece grab it and give it to a mate on here. List plus the price of a nice lunch.

My two cents
Good man. Fortunate, those kids of yours
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 04:32 AM   #59
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Flip it, to me

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 05:05 AM   #60
Speed