The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 July 2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Timeless Lux Watches
"TRF" Member

Vintage Bubbleback 3132 California Dial -Yr. 1935/6

We just recently acquired this Vintage Bubbleback Ref. 3132 but are having a bit of difficulty determining the specifics of the piece. From what I can tell 1935 was the first year Rolex produced this case with automatic movement available in steel or two toned versions. The Serial number on this is 48*** dating it approx 1935. I believe the hands and dial appear to be original but my knowledge on these old bubblebacks is limited to say the least. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 957047131_o.jpg (101.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 957047135_o.jpg (98.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 957047146_o.jpg (82.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 957047159_o.jpg (126.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 957047176_o.jpg (129.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 957047183_o.jpg (66.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 957047187_o.jpg (56.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 957047190_o.jpg (43.7 KB, 126 views)
Timeless Lux Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 06:27 PM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I believe there are anomalies that are not explainable in the early serial numbers.

None of it really adds up.

Your watch is fine. I have no doubt that everything came just like that.

My issue is with the serial numbers being what they are.....at first...it all sort of looked good. I started this 30 + years ago.

Here's the problem. That movement didn't exist in 1935...and even if it did..that is about the 4th generation of auto weight for the 620 NA. They didn't go through 4 changes of weights in one year...there are too many of the other ones out there. They didn't ALL crater and have to be replaced and they wouldn't have replaced the entire auto unit in all of those watches, especially since the auto units were serial numbered on the weight...they would have replaced the worn plates...but that wouldn't have happened in such a short period of time...10 years max?

The first generation bubble back movement is about 7 back from that one...it is the AR with watchmaker instructions....

They made the 3 piece case with gold bezel and crown as well. Why the later style...so close to the early style?

There is a problem with the serials and I have a theory but no one wants to listen so I just keep it to myself.

I would be VERY interested to see the movement with the autowind removed. Does it have the 2 screws holding the upper cap jewel on the escape wheel from the top or the single screw holding a bezel over it screwed from the bottom of the train bridge? Does it have the split arm super balance or the solid arm?

Balances get replaced...but I bet it has the 2 screw cap jewel and split arm balance...neither of which are 1935. If it has the single screw jewel and the solid arm balance...then I would say pre 40...but then...the weight is wrong, and the autowind has been replaced. Not uncommon but unfortunate.

Don't get me wrong...your watch is solid and 100% to me as it was made excepting the lume on the hands. I just think that the serial numbers...have a glitch.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 04:28 AM   #3
adam78
"TRF" Member

I agree with Tommy that this looks more like a '40s watch than a mid-'30s one. Also, I don't think Mercedes hands were introduced until 1943 or so.

3132 is an uncommon reference. Very nice!