The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 September 2017, 12:59 AM   #1
natanaeljoshua
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
GMT 16750 Dial Question

Hello Rolexforums, been a silent reader here since 2014 and this is my first thread.

I have this GMT 16750, 8.5mil with glossy dial and this unusual dial combination.
It's gloss and on the "Oyster Perpetual" word has no "Date" in the end like any other glossy dial gmt.
I have done my research, and seems i cant find any similar dial like mine. Always end up with either matte dial 16750 with no "Date", and 16750 with gloss dial but with "Oyster Perpetual Date". Already checked the gmt master dial archive on VRF and still cant find it, and I'm already opened several Orchi's previous thread and sadly the picture there are "blocked" by photobucket.

I'm a bit afraid with the dial is it a custom? An aftermarket? A franken (if my dial and case serial combination incorrect) ? Well i bought this from a trusted seller in my country (Indonesia) but still there's an itch that i need to take off lol

Maybe rolexforums members here can help me with this problem, or even better, show your gmt 16750 here, maybe it can solves other people's problem thats just like me asking about which dial generation is it

Here's the picture of my 16750, sorry I dont have loupe so i cant provide macro pictures.

Thank you rolexforums! Have a great weekend!
natanaeljoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 02:08 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Your dial is genuine. The first variation of the 16750 glossy dials were missing the word "DATE." Additionally, the first dials found on the GMT II 16760 (fat lady) were also missing the word "DATE" on the dial.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 04:01 AM   #3
natanaeljoshua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Your dial is genuine. The first variation of the 16750 glossy dials were missing the word "DATE." Additionally, the first dials found on the GMT II 16760 (fat lady) were also missing the word "DATE" on the dial.
Thanks for the reply Mr. Springer
Ah thank goodness for the verification of the dial, im glad it's a genuine one
In this first variation of gloss dial on 16750, which "mark" or "generation" is it? Maybe mark 1,2?
As i was research about 16750 dials, there are several generations but i cant seem to identify mine because there's no clear pictures of each generations of dial
Old 11 September 2017, 09:45 AM   #4
surrounded21
"TRF" Member

Here is a no date dial that was for sale at hq milton with some brief history on this dial. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...si+spider+dial

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
surrounded21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 09:49 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natanaeljoshua View Post
In this first variation of gloss dial on 16750, which "mark" or "generation" is it? Maybe mark 1,2?
As i was research about 16750 dials, there are several generations but i cant seem to identify mine because there's no clear pictures of each generations of dial
I'm not certain regarding all the "names/numbers" for these dials. There are only two, maybe three variations. You can call it a Mark I since it is the first one.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 11 September 2017, 10:44 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm not certain regarding all the "names/numbers" for these dials. There are only two, maybe three variations. You can call it a Mark I since it is the first one.

Old 11 September 2017, 04:05 PM   #7
natanaeljoshua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrounded21 View Post
Here is a no date dial that was for sale at hq milton with some brief history on this dial. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...si+spider+dial

Thank you for the help, i think it is the same specimen and glad to know that mine is not an "outlier"
But it kinda scary to see those dial starting to look crack all over the place, is it normal to crack like that in the first place? maybe a defective? or is it an unique trait that every glossy dial has?

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
thank you mr springer, couldnt agree more
Old 12 September 2017, 12:31 AM   #8
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Hello, the cracking in the dial is generally referred to as a "spider dial." Some people will pay extra for these dials, but most prefer a standard dial. It is just the high gloss finish cracking on the dial and is relatively common for the time period.
As far as the non-date dial is concerned, I believe that Orchi and others had labeled it as a Mk 3 dial as the first 2 16750 dials were the matte dial versions.
Your GMT looks very nice and the dial version that you have is pretty rare as it was only produced for less than a year around 1984.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 01:59 AM   #9
natanaeljoshua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky21 View Post
Hello, the cracking in the dial is generally referred to as a "spider dial." Some people will pay extra for these dials, but most prefer a standard dial. It is just the high gloss finish cracking on the dial and is relatively common for the time period.
As far as the non-date dial is concerned, I believe that Orchi and others had labeled it as a Mk 3 dial as the first 2 16750 dials were the matte dial versions.
Your GMT looks very nice and the dial version that you have is pretty rare as it was only produced for less than a year around 1984.
i do say it's kinda appealing to me to see this spider dial thing, thank you for the insight Mr. Sky
Oh then it's a mk3 for all the dials that have been produced since the first 16750, but mine is the "first" glossy dial variants?
Thank you, glad to know that this is a pretty rare specimens.

Thank you to rolexforums too!
Old 12 September 2017, 03:11 AM   #10
natanaeljoshua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrounded21 View Post

While i was checked my dial to that gmt on the link, i spotted something different
first, the crown coronet on the spider dial is fatter and the arches are shorter, and the letters are bolder too on the spider dial on that link.
second, the "Swiss - T<25" on the spider dial is more centered than mine
third, i found the "O" on "Rolex" is different, on mine, it's more ellipse shaped

i'll give a picture here

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...si+spider+dial

and i managed to found one like mine on HQ milton
https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ider-dial-7633

is it possible to have 2 different dial variations in the same year? this is very interesting

Last edited by natanaeljoshua; 12 September 2017 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: third, i found the "O" on "Rolex" is different, on mine, it's more ellipse shaped
Old 12 September 2017, 05:32 AM   #11
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Yes there are two different versions of the no-date dial on the 16750. The coronet is a little different as well as the alignment of the Swiss T<25 printing at the bottom of the dial.
Old 12 September 2017, 07:25 PM   #12
natanaeljoshua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes there are two different versions of the no-date dial on the 16750. The coronet is a little different as well as the alignment of the Swiss T<25 printing at the bottom of the dial.
is there a "desirable" variations between these two?
Old 13 September 2017, 12:37 PM   #13
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
is there a "desirable" variations between these two?
Over to you on that one, in my opinion either one is pretty much the same level of scarcity. If you are talking about value then I don't believe that one of them is any more valuable than the other in the same condition.
Old 15 September 2017, 12:13 AM   #14
natanaeljoshua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Over to you on that one, in my opinion either one is pretty much the same level of scarcity. If you are talking about value then I don't believe that one of them is any more valuable than the other in the same condition.
I agree, it's should be the same in values
Thank you for your answers throughout this thread mr. Sky21
Appreciate it
Old 19 July 2018, 01:54 PM   #15
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Out of curiosity Natanel what serial run is your No-Date? I have heard of ones as early as 1983/ 74xxxxx but very little info on the forums.
RyanPrasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 12:22 PM   #16
Sherbie
"TRF" Member

I also have a gloss spider dialled 16750, no date dial, serial 8.584,xxx that doesn’t conform to Orchi,s dial variants

Its totally original to the watch

I think the reason you cant find many of these early gloss no date dials on the web is the majority of these spider dials were swapped out on later services

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sherbie is offline   Reply With Quote