The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 September 2017, 06:47 PM   #1
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

What do you think about service cases ?

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on service cases ?

In particular a 1680 with service case and service luminova dial & hands. It seems like a great way to enjoy a vintage piece with some modern advantages, and at a reasonable price ?

A nice chunky case, bright luminova & plexi . . what's not to like ?

Agreed, it's not comparable with an original piece !
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Mik8yu
"TRF" Member

I am curious as to the collectors thoughts on this subject too. The service case you practically can't tell them apart from the actual thing ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mik8yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
There is and always will be a significant price discount, but provided you accept that then it can indeed be a cheap way to a brilliant watch.

The important thing is to pay the right price. There can be no precise, right answer as to what that is, as each watch's condition will be unique, but you might think along the lines of 40% discount in this instance. With other vintage models I would say a much greater discount should be applied....while with a non-vintage watch like a modern Datejust one might propose a smaller discount.

Haywood M
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 07:26 PM   #4
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
There is and always will be a significant price discount, but provided you accept that then it can indeed be a cheap way to a brilliant watch.

The important thing is to pay the right price. There can be no precise, right answer as to what that is, as each watch's condition will be unique, but you might think along the lines of 40% discount in this instance. With other vintage models I would say a much greater discount should be applied....while with a non-vintage watch like a modern Datejust one might propose a smaller discount.

Haywood M
Thanks & sensible comments

I don't suppose I could ask what you would think would be a decent UK price for such a watch with service (4.4mil) case, matt luminova dial, service luminova hands ?
Old 11 September 2017, 07:28 PM   #5
andy66db
"TRF" Member

My Zenith Daytona has a service case — the previous owner damaged the case beyond repair and it was replaced during service. It's a shame because it came with the full set — box, papers, hang tags etc — but the new case serial number 44XXXXXXX doesn't match any of it. I bought it to wear it, rather than as a collector's piece, so I suppose it doesn't matter, but I assume it's not worth anywhere near as much as it would be 'untouched'.
andy66db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 07:47 PM   #6
oligeo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
Thanks & sensible comments

I don't suppose I could ask what you would think would be a decent UK price for such a watch with service (4.4mil) case, matt luminova dial, service luminova hands ?
I guess you're talking about the one at HQMilton??
I thought about it....but more because I could get a "new" old 1680 for a good price and new Sub' leaves me as cold as ice. Basically I'd consider it as a re-edition of an old model. Not collectible at all but just great as daily beater.

Might pull the trigger as the € gets stronger and stronger, but I have my 79090, those two share the same look, so I though "what's the point" (and the 79090 has the quick set).

So basically, if you're after a nice daily beater, this one might do the job.

Oli
oligeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 08:03 PM   #7
tamiya
"TRF" Member

If there were no papers, can one still tell it's a Service case?

If not then how would market differentiate between an unpapered original vs Service
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 08:21 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
If there were no papers, can one still tell it's a Service case?

If not then how would market differentiate between an unpapered original vs Service
The serial number starts with 44.

I have a Sub 5513 that had a replacement Luminova dial and hands installed by Rolex, and that gives the best of both worlds, as mentioned above. Not sure I'd want a service case, though. I want the original foundations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (264.9 KB, 594 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 08:46 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
That is in amazing condition Adam.

If the case happened to be damaged beyond repair what would you do?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 08:51 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
That is in amazing condition Adam.

If the case happened to be damaged beyond repair what would you do?
Thanks Eddie.

If that happened, I would probably just sell it for parts. Buying a new case is very uneconomical. Very expensive, yet devalues the watch.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 09:08 PM   #11
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oligeo View Post
I guess you're talking about the one at HQMilton??
I thought about it....but more because I could get a "new" old 1680 for a good price and new Sub' leaves me as cold as ice. Basically I'd consider it as a re-edition of an old model. Not collectible at all but just great as daily beater.

Might pull the trigger as the € gets stronger and stronger, but I have my 79090, those two share the same look, so I though "what's the point" (and the 79090 has the quick set).

So basically, if you're after a nice daily beater, this one might do the job.

Oli
Yes your right it's the one at HQ Milton . . .

My thoughts are same as yours basically.
Old 11 September 2017, 10:19 PM   #12
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
As has been said – looks good, costs a lot, devalues the watch, and is instantly recognisable by the serial number

The lugs on my own 16030 are no longer the same length thanks to “a light polish”, so I recently looked into this service case thing – decided against for the reasons noted in this thread

I’ll either bear it “as is” – or try to polish them down to the same level – no great rush

I figure looking at what I know to be a service case is going to be as painful as looking at uneven lugs – so what the hell …..
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 11:00 PM   #13
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
To use they are great. To collect they are less great. Really just a matter of money and your personal plan with it. They are not an easy sell so if you are the kind of person flipping watches I wouldn't recommend it.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 12:06 AM   #14
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on service cases ?

A nice chunky case, bright luminova & plexi . . what's not to like ?
plus you get to wear it in the shower... thats got to be worth something
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 12:07 AM   #15
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

My '68 1625 acquired a service case at a 2006 visit to the RSC. Granted, it's not an original 1968 DJ any longer but it is a joy to have that sharp pristine, unpolished case to know what a new one was like. :)

If it were a 5514 then yes, boo hoo but it is a delight on a DateJust.

The original case number and the new case number are engraved in the caseback with a line through the original number. The dial and bezel is original.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 01:46 AM   #16
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Thanks Eddie.

If that happened, I would probably just sell it for parts. Buying a new case is very uneconomical. Very expensive, yet devalues the watch.
Reading your posts & photos of your serviced 5513 some time back convinced me that I'd be happy with service replacement parts in certain combinations (mainly matching hands/dial combination as opposed to tritium dial/luminova hands etc)
Old 12 September 2017, 05:44 AM   #17
Woody
"TRF" Member

It is not all about money - I have taken a different approach. I purchased a 1680 a few months back. It already had a service replacement dial, bezel, bracelet etc and the case was fairly worn and scratched. I bought the watch to wear (not keep in a collection) and wanted it to be fully functional so I arranged for the RSC to service the watch and replace the mid-case. I accept that financially it made no sense (but this is not a consideration for me) but I am absolutely delighted with the results. The RSC did a superb job and I now have a fully functional 1680 with a dial that glows in the dark and a case that is fully "operational".......just like they were when first sold. I also don't need to worry about "over polished case lugs", incorrect bezel fonts, Mark I,II,III dials......I just strap it on and wear it. So far we have travelled together in the US, Cabo Verde, Morocco, Ghana and Gambia with more adventures to come. No regrets here.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 06:06 AM   #18
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
It is not all about money - I have taken a different approach. I purchased a 1680 a few months back. It already had a service replacement dial, bezel, bracelet etc and the case was fairly worn and scratched. I bought the watch to wear (not keep in a collection) and wanted it to be fully functional so I arranged for the RSC to service the watch and replace the mid-case. I accept that financially it made no sense (but this is not a consideration for me) but I am absolutely delighted with the results. The RSC did a superb job and I now have a fully functional 1680 with a dial that glows in the dark and a case that is fully "operational".......just like they were when first sold. I also don't need to worry about "over polished case lugs", incorrect bezel fonts, Mark I,II,III dials......I just strap it on and wear it. So far we have travelled together in the US, Cabo Verde, Morocco, Ghana and Gambia with more adventures to come. No regrets here.
Some photo's would be good
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 06:22 AM   #19
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
bloody great !
Old 12 September 2017, 06:49 AM   #20
Woody
"TRF" Member

Hope this works - it is a dark night here in West Africa - I appreciate that this approach is not for everyone (and probably most who frequent this Forum) but I take the view that I own my possessions (not the other way around) and that they have to work for me and fit into my life/requirements. Keeping items in a safe as my life ticks away is not for me and my approach to value is that it is only relevant when you sell an item......and I have no intention of selling this watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1219.JPG (207.0 KB, 485 views)
Old 12 September 2017, 06:43 PM   #21
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hope this works - it is a dark night here in West Africa - I appreciate that this approach is not for everyone (and probably most who frequent this Forum) but I take the view that I own my possessions (not the other way around) and that they have to work for me and fit into my life/requirements. Keeping items in a safe as my life ticks away is not for me and my approach to value is that it is only relevant when you sell an item......and I have no intention of selling this watch
Looks great

would like to see a shot in daylight
Old 12 September 2017, 11:22 PM   #22
Woody
"TRF" Member

A slightly clearer picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1224.jpg (197.8 KB, 415 views)
Old 13 September 2017, 12:49 AM   #23
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I think we should all read up on the Ship of Theseus. Have you ever read this ? Google it now. You will look at service cases differently. Do you consider an original unrestored 34 Ford the same as zz tops' eliminator?
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 02:54 AM   #24
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A slightly clearer picture
Whatever anyone says, i think it looks great.
And you have a matte dial for many many years to come in perfect condition.

If you buy a watch as a collector, then you need to have it all original as possible. But then again, a crisp all-original, rare watch,... who dares to wear it daily with the risk of getting it damaged?
So if you wear it daily, nice choice.

Enjoy it!!
4rnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 03:46 AM   #25
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Recase or not, that is the question. My own thoughts are: if you ever intend on wearing it and assuming the original is so badly damaged as to guarantee water leakage, replaced it. If the intent is to sit in a display, never to be worn, then retain the original.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 06:16 AM   #26
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnold View Post

If you buy a watch as a collector, then you need to have it all original as possible. But then again, a crisp all-original, rare watch,... who dares to wear it daily with the risk of getting it damaged?

Enjoy it!!
+1
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 07:43 AM   #27
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnold View Post

Enjoy it!!
another +1