The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 September 2017, 05:41 AM   #31
slide13
"TRF" Member

So many people at work have Apple watches or other "smart" watches. They're always buzzing and flashing during meetings and it makes me tense just to think about wearing one and having it notifying me all the time like that. I couldn't do it and I don't want to be that "connected". I like my iPhone, it's great, in part because I can easily put it down and pick it up as I want it. Having the equivalent strapped to my wrist all the time holds absolutely zero appeal to me.

Only time I would possibly consider wearing one would be for working out if it could provide text functionality, GPS data (for running), and music/podcasts/audiobooks....all without also having to carry my phone in my pocket. Sounds like that might be possible if there is a new cellular version (I haven't looked) but not going to pay that much for something I'd only wear while working out.

I'm sure it'll be a hit though.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:42 AM   #32
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
So many people at work have Apple watches or other "smart" watches. They're always buzzing and flashing during meetings and it makes me tense just to think about wearing one and having it notifying me all the time like that. I couldn't do it and I don't want to be that "connected". I like my iPhone, it's great, in part because I can easily put it down and pick it up as I want it. Having the equivalent strapped to my wrist all the time holds absolutely zero appeal to me.

Only time I would possibly consider wearing one would be for working out if it could provide text functionality, GPS data (for running), and music/podcasts/audiobooks....all without also having to carry my phone in my pocket. Sounds like that might be possible if there is a new cellular version (I haven't looked) but not going to pay that much for something I'd only wear while working out.

I'm sure it'll be a hit though.
That was the big feature this year, it's fully LTE enabled, you don't need to carry your phone in your pocket.
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:44 AM   #33
teo
"TRF" Member

Technology come fast and go fast. In 2 years time it will be outdated. Nobody want an old version. U need to charge the watch frequently like your handphone. An automatic mechanical watch will always run as long as u wear it.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:46 AM   #34
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
Technology come fast and go fast. In 2 years time it will be outdated. Nobody want an old version. U need to charge the watch frequently like your handphone.
~18 hours is frequently? Should last a whole day. Of course, technology moves faster than we can adapt, that's why there's a new phone, new tablet, new watch, every year. If you don't pay to play, you risk falling behind.
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:50 AM   #35
teo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiH115 View Post
~18 hours is frequently? Should last a whole day. Of course, technology moves faster than we can adapt, that's why there's a new phone, new tablet, new watch, every year. If you don't pay to play, you risk falling behind.
18hrs may reduced to less than 10hrs after 2 years of usage.
Old 13 September 2017, 05:51 AM   #36
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Rolex was #1.
By what metric though? That did not really become apparent from the presentation. To be honest I am surprised Rolex was number one by any measurable metric in the first place, as just making the best product of the segment does usually not translate into a listing that could be directly explained with numbers. Good for them.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:54 AM   #37
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's nice back here, where we have completely anachronistic tech on our wrists, if you ask me... in all fairness, had to pay even more for that though.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:55 AM   #38
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
That was the big feature this year, it's fully LTE enabled, you don't need to carry your phone in your pocket.
As if anyone has their phone in their pockets. Everyone I see has them surgically attached to their hands.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:55 AM   #39
RolexLuthor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 116600
I'd like to see what apple would say if there was a worldwide power outage for 3 days! While everyone else wears a useless powerless screen on their wrist my submariner will gladly tell them the time!
RolexLuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:55 AM   #40
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Metric would have to be revenue. If you can see a reply of the presentation the screen shows apple moving from #2 to #1 and Rolex going from #1 to #2.

If other than revenue Cook's presentation didn't go into those details so couldn't tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:57 AM   #41
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
How is Rolex number 1? A million watches a year is nothing compared to Swatchgroup.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 06:01 AM   #42
stefs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/214270
My wife wears two watches. An apple for work and a rolex when not at work. She loves her rolex but she also loves the apple and the convenience it can bring at times.
They are very different but she believes as do I they can happily exist together.
stefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 06:01 AM   #43
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The Apple Watch is a disposable toy. Yea, my young kids will probably wear one when it's time and that is the perspective I view it as. I do wear a Garmin Fenix Saphire when hunting as a navigation/safety tool. As soon as I get back out of the woods I can't wait to take it off to put on a automatic work of mechanical art.
Old 13 September 2017, 06:11 AM   #44
teo
"TRF" Member

The danger is fitbit and Garmin may go south like nokia in future. If u got fitbit or Garmin shares maybe better to sell off.
Old 13 September 2017, 06:38 AM   #45
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
How is Rolex number 1? A million watches a year is nothing compared to Swatchgroup.

First a million is a guess, could be more. Plus average cost of towards sold is $8000? That's a guess. But if it is and they sell 1 million watches that's $8 Billion in revenue. Search probably sells more watches but at a fast lower average cost.

Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 06:42 AM   #46
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Hmm...well, I guess Rolex should just throw in the towel then.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 06:46 AM   #47
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It'd be nice if Apple made a men's watch. The cell option is sooooo three years ago technology, have had one in my Samsung Gear watch for years.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 06:53 AM   #48
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
Rolex would pass them right up if they fulfilled the waiting orders of the "waitlists" at all the AD's........ it's their master plan, the tortoise and all.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 07:38 AM   #49
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Apple just announced...

I'm happy wearable tech is becoming a thing; but after coming from an Apple Watch as my daily wearer for 5 weeks while the Daytona was getting serviced, I don't think I'll ever strap on the Apple Watch again.

It did not connect me to my phone/loved ones/work any more efficiently than my Rolex. Sure, is know when someone sends a text or calls; but I already got that feature on the phone itself. The activity tracker didn't make me any more mindful of my health, other than reminding me to Breathe or Stand Up. Worst part of it all was that I found myself actually checking my phone MORE often because I was paranoid about the battery dying due to having the Bluetooth on all day.

Watching the keynote I played along and wondered what all I would need. First you need the watch, then you need the charging plate, then you need the cables, then you need the headphones, then you need the PHONE, THEN you need the phone plan, THEN you need the data plan. THEN you need to add the watch as a device on your plan. Talk about a complication. Then you gotta do it all over again next fall. I'll take one RSC every 5-10years, thank you.

Wake me up when the Matrix is ready.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 07:40 AM   #50
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Agreed, not a watch but a mini computer on your wrist.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 07:48 AM   #51
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
For those of us who grew up reading Dick Tracy and his two-way wrist radio, the Apple Watch is amazing. I don't own one, but the technology, like that of Rolex, is amazing.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 08:00 AM   #52
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodagan View Post
Why always compare to Rolex?
It's the most reputable brand in the world (LINK) so they're doing it for marketing. As everyone else has said, they're comparing apples to oranges though.
Old 13 September 2017, 08:07 AM   #53
Will1979
"TRF" Member

Not to side-track the conversation, but does "#1 watch distributor" mean the most watches sold? I'm really surprised that Rolex holds that mantle. Would have guessed Seiko. So much for exclusivity.
Will1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 08:12 AM   #54
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
First a million is a guess, could be more. Plus average cost of towards sold is $8000? That's a guess. But if it is and they sell 1 million watches that's $8 Billion in revenue. Search probably sells more watches but at a fast lower average cost.

Swatch Group revenue was around $7.6 billion, Rolex around $4.7 billion in 2016. Swatch Group brands sold over 20 million watches.

No way Rolex is #1 anything when it comes to watch sales.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 08:12 AM   #55
mckinleystephe
Banned

Bought the original Apple Watch the day it came out for $750. Sold it last month for $140. Talk about value retention.

mckinleystephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 09:50 AM   #56
Tebow15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will1979 View Post
Not to side-track the conversation, but does "#1 watch distributor" mean the most watches sold? I'm really surprised that Rolex holds that mantle. Would have guessed Seiko. So much for exclusivity.
They didn't say. Im guessing number of watches sold.
Tebow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 09:56 AM   #57
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Well, am sure we can all agree Apple has a life-changing inspiring grasp on unbeatable hyperbole.

LOL
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 09:59 AM   #58
WhiskeyKoffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp930 View Post
Too connected already. No thanks.

On vacation and haven’t looked at my cell phone for a week but I have looked at my Rolex.
This!!!

Old 13 September 2017, 10:38 AM   #59
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Not surprised. Lately if I see somebody wearing a watch it's almost certainly an Apple Watch.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 10:41 AM   #60
S-F
"TRF" Member

I'll stick with the oranges of the comparison.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote