The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 September 2017, 08:19 AM   #1
PJ S
Banned

Zenith Event… (Technical Announcement)

Tomorrow, Thursday 14th September, Zenith will be revealing what they are claiming to be a “chronometric revolution”.

http://www.watchprosite.com/horologi...076.9023021/0/

http://www.watchprosite.com/zenith/h...151.9023591/0/

It’ll be interesting to see what they’ve developed, and how widespread (or not) they plan to make it within their model ranges.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 04:35 PM   #2
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Could be very interesting, thanks for sharing!
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 05:44 PM   #3
edo
"TRF" Member

Can't wait to style it with neon green and pink on Bamford website

They last Defy 21 (no metter it looks a bit Hublotish) is really impressive watch...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 07:59 PM   #4
regnant
"TRF" Member

I have heard of that too. Let's see what Zenith has in the store
Old 14 September 2017, 08:25 PM   #5
PJ S
Banned

http://www.watchprosite.com/zenith/b...841.9019361/0/
Old 14 September 2017, 11:27 PM   #6
themast
"TRF" Member

Wow, I looked at it very briefly, it seems to be a very interesting and promising development. As many things in horology, it will boil down to how much the manufacturing is up to the math.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:57 PM   #7
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Interesting innovation, wonder how shockproof it'll prove.

Metal foam case intriguing too.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 04:26 AM   #8
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=559885
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 07:23 PM   #9
unknown
"TRF" Member

this is a gamechanger and I don't understand why it gets more attention on this forum.
ETA and Sellita are probably on Prozac right now

In 1969 Zenith introduced the El Primero and it became THE chronograph reference, they sold many movements to many brands

This will imo be similar, it might become very important
Old 15 September 2017, 08:33 PM   #10
PJ S
Banned

^
Probably because the majority of members have absolutely no interest in movements, bar what they have been or can be regulated to achieve.

I thought this might’ve stimulated a decent discussion, but it just proves the above statement.
C’est la vie!
Old 15 September 2017, 08:43 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Probably because the majority of members have absolutely no interest in movements, bar what they have been or can be regulated to achieve.

I thought this might’ve stimulated a decent discussion, but it just proves the above statement.
C’est la vie!
to me, i love the movements from Zenith. Not a huge fan of the watches those movements go in. Its about movements and overall design to me and i just don't like the look. Its a shame because i would really love to own one otherwise.

But i agree most are not into movements unless we are talking the "in house" argument and then suddenly it matters and not always on the merit of the actual movement, just the label.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 08:47 PM   #12
RHJ
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
I think too, that is a revolutionary step in movement history. And soon others will follow.
Great archivement for Biver and Zenith!
... just Biver behaves as Steve Jobs...
Old 15 September 2017, 09:50 PM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Other than the el primero and the daytonas with zenith movements im not a big fan of their other offerings.

Is this 30k swiss francs per watch. Geeze. I presume once in mass production it wont be that much...

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 10:21 PM   #14
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^

C’est la vie!
maybe they can take 15 minutes and this will explain quite lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh0p9Irznw

impressive
Old 15 September 2017, 10:27 PM   #15
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Other than the el primero and the daytonas with zenith movements im not a big fan of their other offerings.

Is this 30k swiss francs per watch. Geeze. I presume once in mass production it wont be that much...
the 30K is a lot but indeed for regular production it will probably be more in line with other typical Swiss watches from that segment so 6 to 12 K
The case material will also be more 'normal'.

This is not something that will compete with high end horlogery like Patek, Lange, Breguet.
But all those watches that use an ETA, UNITAS, VALJOUX or SELLITA today .. so as good a all the brands that don't go 100% in-house might be seduced to follow this path.
Old 16 September 2017, 01:54 AM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....l-intro-video/

Very interesting, though not a fan of Zenith designs, what is amazing is that this was invented in 1675, so Zenith didn't invent anything they just tried to put an old invention to work, I wonder if I can ask Kari to change the system on my watch to have this one before Tuesday, oh never mind, would have to wait another year
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 12:36 PM   #17
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^

C’est la vie!
I have to say, if the thread was only in this section I would not be surprised since there is not much traffic here. However, since it was linked in the general section it is interesting that it got so many hits.

In any case, if they can manufacture this system efficiently, I think they have a winner.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 02:21 PM   #18
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
It's a very impressive development. For anyone claiming otherwise get your head out of the sand. Can't say I like anything about the case. I'm also a little unimpressed with the movement thickness. I had started to think the pendulum was coming back to senseably sized chunks to metal.

Oh for a 40x12!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 08:22 PM   #19
PJ S
Banned

^
The 10 pieces produced with the movement used, is more a proof of concept.
I thought the same on the thickness, but it is planned for the part to be shrunk such that it will replace existing escapements.
If/when they achieve that, then concerns about the movement thickness will be nullified.

@themast – they (will) have the ability to churn out a million of these escapements per annum, so it’s going to be interesting to see how the rest of the industry embraces the idea.
Old 16 September 2017, 08:28 PM   #20
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:

it’s going to be interesting to see how the rest of the industry embraces the idea.
Lead balloon, I suspect. Daniels had to hawk his coaxial escapement around various bits of Geneva until Omega adopted it, IIRC. It's the Not Invented Here syndrome.

BW,

James
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 09:05 PM   #21
PJ S
Banned

^
But George was English/British, and the industry then was buoyant. Since the recession of 2010/11, the industry has been in the doldrums, but have turned to and embraced silicon in certain areas.
With Zenith being Swiss, and Biver being who and what he is, the industry will have been paying close attention to this announcement.
Many small brands, if the accuracy can be maintained when scaled down, will be all over this so that not being COSC certified is no longer a reason for potential customers to pass them over – even though many non-COSC movements can be regulated to run better than COSC.

If there’s to be any lead ballooning, then it’ll be that the concept doesn’t match with antiquated notions (convention) of what a mechanical movement should look like – Seiko’s Spring Drive for example, not withstanding Piaget’s 118-piece Ltd Edition version of the same, at $70K!
However, if the capability and material was around 100-200 years ago, you can bet the watchmakers at that time would’ve utilised it, so I see no reason to eschew it just because it wasn’t.
Old 16 September 2017, 09:45 PM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

I never cared if my watches were COSC or not, the most accurate one I had in all was my BLNR, but other non certified were running great.
About the industry paying attention, for sure, and Biver being great in marketing will make a big difference
Old 16 September 2017, 10:12 PM   #23
Arclight
Banned

https://youtu.be/xWh0p9Irznw
Old 17 September 2017, 12:34 AM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Thanks for the video, on the one I watched and posted, either I am stupid and don't understand english, either they were saying this had been invented in 1675, and for those who know I like to party, no I hadn't had a single drink, at least here it's well explained.
So yes quite amazing, even if I think I prefer visually a balance wheel and the classical 40 plus pieces instead of one. This will surely change the industry in a huge way...

Edit: ok it's me who is stupid, I just re-read the link I posted and was probably in a hurry, or stupid, or both, as it says "abandoned" what was invented in 1675, I guess I lmissed the word "abandoned and thought it was an old invention that Zenith was using. PJ why you didn't tell me I was completely OFF?
Old 17 September 2017, 02:50 AM   #25
Arclight
Banned

I agree the silicone lacks soul. But then again I've always preferred natural to silicone.
Old 18 September 2017, 10:54 PM   #26
willski
"TRF" Member

Technically amazing, but watching it "vibrate" makes me feel nauseous hah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willski is offline   Reply With Quote