The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 September 2017, 11:31 PM   #1
tomilg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, SD4K
It's Not Hard to Beat Rolex...

I'm not sure if this article has been posted yet, I searched for it but did not find anything on TRF....

This came out from "Tech Crunch" yesterday, and it is sure to ruffle some feathers from our TRF Group...I'll let you draw your conclusions.

It's not hard to beat Rolex

Obviously, the writer is an Apple Fanboy, so am I, but this poor uninformed guy is really comparing apples to oranges, Fords to Ferraris, etc.
tomilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:39 PM   #2
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
It is opinion based on using his Apple watch.

I like to drive Prius in the city, quite comfortable indeed. Do i experience different things when driving my 911 or Land Cruiser? I think yes.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:45 PM   #3
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
From article:

Quote:
Think about the Rolex market, for example. While I would wager that almost every Rolex owner has an Apple Watch, a fraction of the Apple Watch owners have a Rolex. For many, the Apple Watch is their only watch and, if there were no smart watches, they probably wouldn’t wear watches at all.
I don't think so. I will never, ever, own an Apple watch. They look great on young ladies (and what doesn't?), but I hardly ever see guys wearing them. Nothing says "geek" like an Apple watch.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:51 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=559690
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:56 PM   #5
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
After reading this slightly biased article, I think the writer would like all Rolex owners to run down to your nearest AD & buy every Rolex you can & make it quick because Rolex will have soon be out of business ,along with every other luxury watch maker . Rolex are doomed ,I tell you doomed, the end of the world is upon us . Well not quite to be fair, but I still don't want a Apple watch & hands up all those on this forum own a Apple watch as suggested by the writer. I may be swimming against the tide on this, but I don't own a Apple watch .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:56 PM   #6
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I am more willing and eager to spend $10k on a Rolex than $300 on an Apple Watch.

If I were given an Apple Watch, I’d sell it to fund a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:57 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Moved to the non-Rolex section, with all the others from this week.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 12:02 AM   #8
luvan12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomilg View Post
I'm not sure if this article has been posted yet, I searched for it but did not find anything on TRF....

This came out from "Tech Crunch" yesterday, and it is sure to ruffle some feathers from our TRF Group...I'll let you draw your conclusions.

It's not hard to beat Rolex

Obviously, the writer is an Apple Fanboy, so am I, but this poor uninformed guy is really comparing apples to oranges, Fords to Ferraris, etc.

I'm sure I have ran across a dozen articles comparing Apple to Rolex. It's tiring and boring. Clearly not everyones opinions matter.
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 12:54 AM   #9
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

An Apple watch in a room of Rolex's is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. There is no comparison. Im sure the author has never owned a luxury watch in his life.
Old 15 September 2017, 02:04 AM   #10
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
I am more willing and eager to spend $10k on a Rolex than $300 on an Apple Watch.

If I were given an Apple Watch, I’d sell it to fund a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep...I have no interest in an Apple Watch (and, as I sit here cursing trying to type on this rubbish touch screen, no interest in any Apple product). But, based on what i observe, increasingly the real watch fans are in the minority
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:26 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
Yep...I have no interest in an Apple Watch (and, as I sit here cursing trying to type on this rubbish touch screen, no interest in any Apple product). But, based on what i observe, increasingly the real watch fans are in the minority
as i mentioned in another thread... what happened to the 18k gold apple watch that was actually priced to compete with real luxury watches? No one bought them and apple quickly discontinued them.

Real watch fans are not in the minority IMO, but an apple watch is not a luxury watch and the one they tried to make into one failed miserably.

I have nothing against apple watches but an item that is priced to be literally thrown away when you upgrade to the next model in 18 months isn't luxury.
People are not buying apple watches to celebrate life milestones or to be family heirlooms to be passed down or to say "I've' made it" (yes people do that with expensive watches, but won't admit it). They are buying them because they want more tech and to be more connected, which has nothing to do with the motivations of buyers of luxury watches
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 04:55 AM   #12
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

The first response to the Article is huge:

"You obviously understand only about finance. Watch making is an art. iWatch making is child abuse".
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 05:17 AM   #13
Kyle13
"TRF" Member

Ive said it before and ill say it again, you spend $400 on an apple watch to not take your phone out of your pocket UNTIL you have to respond to an email or take a phone call, in which you still need to take out your phone. Unless you want to look like a retard talking to your wrist or trying to type on the small watch screen.
Kyle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 05:33 AM   #14
raulpsanch12
"TRF" Member

Watch: es & Watches &....
I have no interest in getting an Apple watch when I can literally do everything it does with my phone. Rolex is irreplaceable though.
raulpsanch12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 05:55 AM   #15
stockae92
"TRF" Member

"What’s truly surprising is that Rolex, Omega, and Cartier are still considered competition."

Wait a sec? Who consider Rolex and Apple Watch are competitors? Does Porsche compete with Toyota Corolla too?

John Biggs contributes nothing to horology discussion .... He needs to get off the internet. He is "unlistenable" on The HourTime podcast and he is the reason why I unsubscribe from it.

btw, no, i don't own and have no plan of owning an Apple Watch, and I am a fan of their products.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 11:02 AM   #16
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post

"You obviously understand only about finance. Watch making is an art. iWatch making is child abuse".
Great quote!
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 12:11 PM   #17
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 03:32 AM   #18
Portland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
"What’s truly surprising is that Rolex, Omega, and Cartier are still considered competition."

Wait a sec? Who consider Rolex and Apple Watch are competitors? Does Porsche compete with Toyota Corolla too?

John Biggs contributes nothing to horology discussion .... He needs to get off the internet. He is "unlistenable" on The HourTime podcast and he is the reason why I unsubscribe from it.

btw, no, i don't own and have no plan of owning an Apple Watch, and I am a fan of their products.

+1. Well said. John Biggs is to the watch industry what Chelsea Handler is to comedy. A useless C list "celebrity" that isn't remotely funny or even mistakenly intelligent about their particular field. It makes you wonder who thought it would be a good idea to give them a public platform in the first place.
Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 02:48 AM   #19
charger
Banned

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland View Post
+1. Well said. John Biggs is to the watch industry what Chelsea Handler is to comedy. A useless C list "celebrity" that isn't remotely funny or even mistakenly intelligent about their particular field. It makes you wonder who thought it would be a good idea to give them a public platform in the first place.
Couldn't said it better
charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 03:33 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Iwatch is just not a watch in the way we see watches, when I was a kid in the 70's I had a few Casios with different functions, then a few Swatches, then at 14 my parents bought me a real watch, a Bulova, any watch running on battery is not comparable to even the cheapest mechanical watch, where you have a mini factory of mechanical parts giving life to the watch, plus there is no way I am getting more connected than I already am, even on Facebook I went from around 180 "friends" to only 40, the other 140 I had no real connection or discussions with, why the hell keep people you were just in school with but nothing more, same for Iwatch, I have a smartphone, yes Apple, but won't go any further, no way!!!!
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote