The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 18 April 2015, 12:19 AM   #91
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Sigh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Hello again.....

While I own Panerai, Iwc, Breitling, Omegas and others....I would NEVER trade one of my Rolexes for any of those. N E V E R....
Great. Don't. Unfortunately this does not "prove" that those who would trade one of their Rolexes for one of those to be wrong, nor does it prove why they should NEVER NEVER NEVER ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY I MEAN NO WAY NEVER NEVER EVER do so, this is what I am awaiting.

Quote:
Take the IWC for example.....There are posts such as....Should I trade my Rolex Sub for an IWC 3777?

Answer: Never trade out of ROLEX into a lesser brand.
Establish empirically that IWC is a lesser brand than Rolex. Also can you please point out the perpetual calendar that Rolex, the superior brand, produces and compare it to the several examples of perpetual calendars that IWC, the lessor brand, produces? Or the tourbillion? Or the minute repeater? Grande complication? Flyback chrono?

Given that Rolex is "superior", then surely it has a much more extensive selection of sophisticated movements than IWC, perhaps you could enlighten us by comparing the examples I listed above to the ones Superior Brand Rolex produces.

Quote:
I have an IWC3777. Would I trade a Rolex for it? Absolutely not.
Don't doubt that for a New York second, but subjective opinion != fact.

Quote:
It's a bimbo of a watch. Very pretty to look at, but honestly, it's not all that special.
Again: subjective opinion != fact.

Quote:
I got a deal on one and I bought it....at no "cost" to Rolex. I didn't choose it over a Rolex, I didn't sell or trade a Rolex for it...I simply added it to the collection..
In purchasing it IN LIEU of a Rolex, prima facie you chose it OVER a Rolex. You can twist this all you like, but the choice you made is clear, in both cases.

Quote:
I'm not saying a person shouldn't explore other brands...BUT if you are in the unfortunate position to have to choose between Rolex and xyz, or sell / trade a Rolex to acquire xyx, then the choice should ALWAYS be ROLEX*
Subjective and not proven empirically, and patently ridiculous on its face. ALS? FPJ? Sheesh..do yourself and us a favor and study the subject a bit before making uninformed and absolutist statements like this, it really doesn't help your cause ya know.

Quote:
* Except for Patek and AP. Then there are other rules that apply...
Yes, that would be the "NEVER" rule. Just kidding....
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2015, 12:27 AM   #92
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Sigh....

Great. Don't.

Establish empirically that IWC is a lesser brand than Rolex. Also can you please point out the perpetual calendar that Rolex, the superior brand, produces and compare it to the several examples of perpetual calendars that IWC, the lessor brand, produces? Or the tourbillion? Or the minute repeater? Grande complication? Flyback chrono?

Given that Rolex is "superior", then surely it has a much more extensive selection of sophisticated movements than IWC, perhaps you could enlighten us by comparing the examples I listed above to the ones Superior Brand Rolex produces.

In purchasing it IN LIEU of a Rolex, prima facie you chose it OVER a Rolex. You can twist this all you like, but the choice you made is clear, in both cases.

Subjective and not proven empirically, and patently ridiculous on its face. ALS? FPJ? Sheesh..do yourself and us a favor and study the subject a bit before making uninformed and absolutist statements like this, it really doesn't help your cause ya know.

Yes, that would be the "NEVER" rule. Just kidding...
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2015, 05:33 AM   #93
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
agree with this and would offer we should remember Panerai is the original big watch.
They sell watches that are the same sizes as they originally produced from their beginning.

it is as if they created the market but had to wait 50 years for it to catch on… like a great painting, if you will

however Panerai's business decisions are another story, i do not believe they have served the customer well with their endless supply of special editions and price gouging on the same imo.

thats where the 000 & 111 come in, fairly priced and consistent favorites. like a submariner:)
I think you are exactly right. What drew me to Panerai was the authenticity of their large size. I previously owned a Navitimer and while I loved that individual watch and sold it for personal reasons, I saw the direction Breitling was heading and I would be lying if I said it didn't affect my decision. Flash forward a couple of years; I have a nice collection of Rolex watches all in the 39-42mm range. I wanted something bigger. The only IWC I really considered was the Big Pilot which is obviously authentic in size, but the enthusiasm I saw for Panerai on this forums is what really got me excited about the brand.

Panerai has always been about 44-47mm watches and while I favor those on the smaller end of the range, the PAM 372 is as close if not closer to the Luminors of the 1950s when compared to the legacy of the Submariner over the years. To me this is an example of what Panerai has done right. I think the 44mm Luminors and 45mm Radiomirs comprise a nice body of work for the brand. The larger Radiomirs, Radiomir 1940s, and Luminor 1950s should stick to the formula the 372 or 587 has. The variation in these larger models and all the different editions is where I get lost. Outside of the 2012 year of Special Editions, I think Panerai has greatly missed the mark.

Just my very very humble opinion of the brand. I like what I have, I might add to it in the future but would be more excited about doing so if OP streamlined a little more.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2015, 05:39 AM   #94
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Agree completely. I love IWC perpetual calenders in almost any incarnation. I would add one in a precious metal on an alligator strap over many Rolex watches any day of the week.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2015, 06:09 AM   #95
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Reading all this, looks like, now is the time to get that first Panerai watch!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2015, 06:13 AM   #96
Gregsubc
Banned

I think Panerai's historic styles are fantastic, and the newer models, or contemporary models look great, too. There is something for everyone there. I don't see why they should focus on pleasing just a few people, or cutting back on production. I personally like many models from all of their collections.
Gregsubc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2015, 01:24 PM   #97
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Sigh....

Great. Don't. Unfortunately this does not "prove" that those who would trade one of their Rolexes for one of those to be wrong, nor does it prove why they should NEVER NEVER NEVER ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY I MEAN NO WAY NEVER NEVER EVER do so, this is what I am awaiting.

Yes, that would be the "NEVER" rule. Just kidding....
Simmer down....you are way overthinking this...just to put on a show...

Omg...Chill bro' just watches...world peace isn't at stake...

You aren't going to change my mind, so why are you bothering?

I'm not the only one on idk....ROLEXFORUMS...who puts ROLEX first....
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2015, 01:30 PM   #98
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

"Bro"...."world peace".... "chill"....

Fleetlord, after all your trolling on this thread and other threads here, this latest post is pretty rich to say the least. Not sure why you keep coming back here, but it is entertaining. Peace out, bro.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2015, 01:32 PM   #99
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
"Bro"...."world peace".... "chill"....

Fleetlord, after all your trolling on this thread and other threads here, this latest post is pretty rich to say the least. Not sure why you keep coming back here, but it is entertaining. Peace out, bro.

No problem chief....

I'm here to discuss can Panerai pull itself from the abyss?

Why are you here, hero?

See you around...
Old 18 April 2015, 01:36 PM   #100
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Simmer down....you are way overthinking this...just to put on a show...

We trying to tell you sell you Pam 000 becuse its ICE COLD
Old 18 April 2015, 01:43 PM   #101
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
I just bought another PAM actually...

I'll post pics shortly.

See...I'm saving them from the Abyss..
Old 18 April 2015, 01:51 PM   #102
nick c
Banned

Quote:
I just bought another PAM actually...

I'll post pics shortly.

See...I'm saving them from the Abyss..
See I know you love Panerai watches just like me and Cru and others
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.1 KB, 684 views)
Old 18 April 2015, 02:04 PM   #103
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 26 April 2015, 08:06 AM   #104
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I've traded 2 of my 3 PAMs in the last year. One of them the Fiddy that I'm glad I did as the value keeps dropping. I agree that they are just making too many variations of the same model and hard to tell the difference between LEs and normal production. I see that as the main reason for the fall of the Fiddy. The only PAM that has caught my attention in the last few years was the Bronzo. That being said, I am currently wearing a submersible on an olive green NATO strap that is my go to beach, summer, etc. watch. I purchased more than 10 years ago and have abused it to death and have yet to service it. I can honestly say it is toughest watch I haver ever owned and will likely never part with it!
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2015, 08:16 AM   #105
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

My PAM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (177.3 KB, 551 views)
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2015, 10:41 AM   #106
Athas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,Daytona,P233,PO
PAM 233 with domed crystal. What a great watch equal to my rolex collection.
I don't worry about the price drops.
Athas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2015, 11:15 AM   #107
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Ok. Great. Nice picture of a Pam 005.

Here is the picture of MY Pam 000 that you requested.

Now, to address your concerns....

If anyone were to ask me if they should buy a Panerai, I would tell them to go for it...just don't pay too much because their resale isn't what it used to be..

If someone were to ask me if they should buy a Panerai OR a ROLEX, I would tell them to always CHOOSE ROLEX over Panerai.

If someone wanted to trade a ROLEX into a Panerai, I would tell them not to.

If someone wanted to trade a Panerai into a Rolex, I would advise them to..

Choosing Panerai is fine. But if you are in an "either or situation", clearly go with ROLEX.

I say the same about Iwc all the time.....

I have one of those too....

I chose to buy an Iwc....but I didn't choose to buy one OVER a Rolex or trade a Rolex for one... I could do this with Omega, Breitling...etc...but I think you get the point..

My reasons for this is that Rolex is a stronger brand, with more timeless design, versatility of usage, better service and service options, and stronger resale...

Clearly, I am not the only one on ROLEXFORUMS who feels this way. Why you singled me out for a mean spirited attack is beyond me, but if you have nothing else to do, I guess I can live with it...

Hope this helped....
Y

Fleetlord has defended his ground w honor.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2015, 12:01 PM   #108
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Y

Old 28 April 2015, 12:02 PM   #109
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Y

But he forgot to post a pic of is new panerai as promise
Old 28 April 2015, 09:12 PM   #110
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Fleetlord reminds me of the old Monty Python skit...."IM HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT.... NO YOURE NOT".
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 08:43 PM   #111
Gregsubc
Banned

seems to be a slew of threads on the different forums meant to provoke lately
Gregsubc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 11:24 PM   #112
sctp39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
Fleetlord reminds me of the old Monty Python skit...."IM HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT.... NO YOURE NOT".
sctp39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2015, 10:03 AM   #113
defender543
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai/422
i only want one model of the panerai range its the one i have a 422 all the rest who cares
defender543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2015, 09:43 PM   #114
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Loving my 112G so I'm good with Panerai. Don't really care much for the Internet rumor mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2015, 05:19 AM   #115
nick c
Banned

Cool the guy talks about panerai https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCvwCcEP74Q
Old 4 May 2015, 07:17 AM   #116
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Pretty crazy to see 249's going to $7500 now from 14k a few short years ago
Old 4 May 2015, 07:38 AM   #117
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
Pretty crazy to see 249's going to $7500 now from 14k a few short years ago
Yeah, that does sound crazy. Too crazy.... I'm seeing 11/12 still.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2015, 07:39 AM   #118
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But he forgot to post a pic of is new panerai as promise
You're right!

I totally forgot...

Here:

Pam305 on XL rubber with extra keeper.

Why are oem standard straps so short??

BTW...I think the Panerai price decrease was a BAD MOVE, regardless of the currency fluctuations. It just isn't a very luxury thing to do....
Old 4 May 2015, 07:46 AM   #119
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Y

Thank you for recognizing my honorableness. You are a true gentleman!

It is a sad time and perhaps some proof my position of brands such as IWC and Panerai being somewhat weaker than ROLEX in that they have been forced to reduce their asking prices in a crucial market due to currency fluctuations..

Rolex has held FIRM and something has to be said for that...
Old 4 May 2015, 07:59 AM   #120
nick c
Banned

Quote:
You're right!

I totally forgot...

Here:

Pam305 on XL rubber with extra keeper.

Why are oem standard straps so short??

BTW...I think the Panerai price decrease was a BAD MOVE, regardless of the currency fluctuations. It just isn't a very luxury thing to do....
Very nice you are a real paneristi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.7 KB, 554 views)