The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2017, 02:20 AM   #211
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I hate thieves. I am going to be refreshing this with the hopes of a happy resolution.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 01:24 PM   #212
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well things may have taken a turn sideways today. Not on solving the case, but on what is happening with sensitive data on one of the stolen laptops - my wife’s old Sony VAIO.

I received a letter in the mail tonight from one of my banks stating that a change of phone number and email address had been requested.

Fortunately, their fraud unit sent it and I start that phase tomorrow morning. Nothing suspicious has happened on any bank balances or CC charges so far. I’ve had my Credit files locked since the Equifax debacle.

So hopefully this is something a branch manager did back on December 1st. That’s when I withdrew about $20K in cash to help with the family emergency that kept me away from home that fateful day...

They had me answer a lot of questions and forms to sign. Not losing sleep yet - just hoping it’s nothing associated with this case.

Thanks once more for the great support everyone.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 01:56 PM   #213
CalSRQ1

Watch: 5513
I keep checking this thread Paul just knowing that any day you’ll have a posting that LE has solved it...thanks for the continued posts. Fingers crossed...
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 02:04 PM   #214
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
^^^ Same Here Hoping Something For The Good Happens ^^^
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 02:13 PM   #215
Daryl

so sorry to read this Paul..

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 03:13 PM   #216
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’m sure this angle has been more than explored depending on the circumstances but there’s no plausible connection between the 20k family need and this event right?
Old 10 December 2017, 01:01 AM   #217
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’m sure this angle has been more than explored depending on the circumstances but there’s no plausible connection between the 20k family need and this event right?
Thats a good question I'd like to address =-
But first some news on the identity theft angle I mentioned last night.
Just got off the phone with the bank - thankfully they have staffing at the call center because all branches are closed due to snow here. The manager of the CC advised that the letter I received was due to a routine update that my Branch Manager did to remove an old office telephone number.

I recall that now, but you can imagine my mind went directly to the chance that a thief had started a new ID theft attempt. I am relieved (so far) that I don't have to fight security on two fronts.
Now back to your question - I don't believe there is a connection to the cash needed for a family emergency. Here's why: the thieves struck the home within a few hours - too quickly for someone in the bank to have acted upon the information.

Is it possible my bank's Branch Manager, or a teller, is linked to a break-in crew? Yes, but not probable - however your question opens the door to explain a little more about the investigation...

At their request, I have not defined all the paths of investigation the detectives are following. Now it seems they have a credible theory of these break-in cases. So I will share the one area my son suspected: Insiders.

We have multiple services performed inside and outside the home. All the typical ones many of you have. They were an initial line of inquiry.

Housekeepers - been with them 15 years but a National brand who has multiple crews and regular employee churn. The police have all that data for past 10 years for any connection there. Until the perpetrators are found, unlikely to know more unless a GCIC hit occurs on a SSN. The owners are fully cooperating.

Landscapers - been with them even longer. That company is owned by one of my neighbors and the crew is very stable. They couldn't know what is inside or where it is in the home. The owner has been alerted and there's been no change in personnel doing the work here.

Lawn care - same story but different company. Police think the thieves were interrupted due to evidence found in the home. Ironically, this may have been the interruption: The lawn care guy was here at noontime on the day of the incident and did a limestone application - he always dates/times a ticket and hangs it on the from door knob with a knock/doorbell ring. That act may have been the interruption...but no way to know for sure.

Pest Control - Inside and Outside - been with him for almost 25 years. One guy operation, bonded, etc. No connection

Termite Inspector - for those little bait traps to keep your termite bond in force. No connection.

Alarm Company - they were here a month ago replacing some glass-break sensors that had become intermittently troublesome (sending false alerts and draining batteries quickly). National brand but not the same guy each time. Possible? Yeah - but remote at best.

Again, thanks for that question and was worth a longer answer for the tangential angle it raises about Insider Info.

Old 10 December 2017, 01:17 AM   #218
77T

One more update I forgot to share...

Rolex USA - I talked with their theft list manager (don't know her real title) and she had me FAX them the data. So that angle is also covered now.

She said that ADs (also told me they are Official Rolex Jewelers) don't have access to the database, nor do watchmakers. Just the corporate RSC's. So, if my Platona gets fenced or any of the other Rolexes, and ends up with an unsuspecting honest person who has it serviced soon at an RSC, I have a chance to get it back.

I would feel awful for the unsuspecting honest person, but if it were a perpetrator or denizen of the underworld - wouldn't mind in the least.

Thanks again everyone for the PM's and expressions of support - and new ideas on how we all can be more secure with our homes and valuables.

Let night I saw a video about a homeowner who came back to see something amiss and held the criminal at bay until police arrived. Since this event of mine, I began a visual perimeter search each time I return home. Overkill maybe but until the alarm system is upgraded, worthwhile for peace of mind...

Old 10 December 2017, 01:23 AM   #219
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Sorry to read this Paul.

Burglary is horrible crime. No sympathy for the criminals if they get caught.
Old 10 December 2017, 11:20 PM   #220
77T

Rolex Theft by Home Break-in

Nothing new on the investigation or efforts to recover belongings but today will be spent with son & daughter going through some treasures left behind. As many know, my wife, their Mom, left us after a sudden brief illness just before Mothers Day this year. She cherished this holiday season. I hadn’t been up to erecting the big “Martha Stewart” 9’ Tree as in the past.

Today we’ll go through her cherished Swarovski holiday decorations so they can use them to spread the cheer at their homes that she did for us at ours. Small blessing to salve the loss of items they had expected to pass down to their daughters - but really better in the spirit of the season, “it isn’t the size of the gift that matters, it is the size of the heart that gives it”. And her heart was always set on her kids and me.

To be brutally honest, and I know this deep down, most things I do for others have a side-benefit for me. I do this so they can release the pain from any wounds they harbor due to a random senseless act of others. To dwell on that loss and build hate would only embitter them - Ghandi is credited with spreading the thoughts of his elders and spiritual fore-bearers.

Keep your thoughts positive - your thoughts become your words.
Keep your words positive - they become your behavior.
Keep your behavior positive - it becomes your habits.
Keep your habits positive - your habits become your values.
Keep your values positive - they become your destiny.

(Not a per se quote but close enough I hope)

Last edited by 77T; 10 December 2017 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Errors corrected
Old 10 December 2017, 11:21 PM   #221
77T

Dupe

Old 10 December 2017, 11:33 PM   #222
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
terrible. based on the circumstances you were being watched or its someone you know. seems to coinicdental.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 12:35 AM   #223
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Thanks for posting this. Wishing you peace and good luck.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:07 AM   #224
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

All the best to you. I would not worry or think about it anymore, it is out of your hands - not much you can do.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 05:32 AM   #225
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Lots of positive karma coming your way Paul,,,
i check in daily in the hope you get some valuables back ,if not all of them and this crew safely locked up to ponder on there miserable lives,,,
best wishes Paul,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 05:40 AM   #226
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm10005 View Post
Look into Fort Knox safes. Some of the best on the market with different sizes, upgrades and price points. very classy look also. I have one that weighs over 1000lbs bolted to a cement slab floor and has a great fire rating and a great guarantee. Expensive yes, but a fraction to what he lost in watches. I keep my watches important documents and those listed items we can't discuss
Very inconspicuous. I'll say again the best safes are floor safes, order online, install yourself, mix your own concrete. Need a team of workmen with jackhammers to get out and only you know it's under the floor covering, so you don't wake up with an imploring sawn-off under your nose.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 06:04 AM   #227
rc51matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6605
Very sorry to hear Pual. Glad you are ok.
Having things stolen from you feels so invasive. My barn got hit last year. When I say barn I really mean man cave / home shop with many things of value & one of my work vehicles with over 200k of tools & equipment on it. I was lucky to get almost all of my items back about 6 months later. All my stuff was taken by junkies who traded it to their meth dealer.

Mine was a crime of opportunity as my dumb self left the door unlocked. we were running out to get ice cream with the kids for my birthday. I even thought I’ll come out later after the kids go down & finish up & lock up. Well that didn’t happen.

Hopefully you will get the call like I did that your wife’s items have been recovered at the very least so they can be handed down to your children. Lucky for me the meth dealers home was raided late one night & my stuff still there in a box they Took to help carry items away with UPS label on it with my name & addy!!!

I added 10 color night vision high resolution cameras to the exterior of shop & house with 4 TB NVR so at the very least if I notice something wrong I can go back & look at the video. Along with my home security system & right hand objects that are always at the ready.
16628 blue
Breitling Avenger Ti
rc51matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 10:56 AM   #228
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Quick bump for this tragic post. :
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 05:37 AM   #229
77T

Thanks everyone, once again.

The locksmith has RE-keyed all the locks. There was one key I could not account for - maybe being over cautious but “belt & braces” as some might say.

Yesterday was helpful for our son & daughter. We went through Holiday decorations to be handed down. Also the few jewelry items of their Mom’s that were not stolen. The home was all straight and orderly except for the plywood covering the window the thieves used to gain entry.

The contract has been let for replacement windows there. The security company has the new upgrades designed - lots of extra sensors and looks like 12 channel video + NVR.

No news on the investigation but that is to be expected until something breaks.

Old 12 December 2017, 05:53 AM   #230
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks everyone, once again.

The locksmith has RE-keyed all the locks. There was one key I could not account for - maybe being over cautious but “belt & braces” as some might say.

Yesterday was helpful for our son & daughter. We went through Holiday decorations to be handed down. Also the few jewelry items of their Mom’s that were not stolen. The home was all straight and orderly except for the plywood covering the window the thieves used to gain entry.

The contract has been let for replacement windows there. The security company has the new upgrades designed - lots of extra sensors and looks like 12 channel video + NVR.

No news on the investigation but that is to be expected until something breaks.

Thanks for the update. You positive attitude is an inspiration.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:30 AM   #231
77T

Friends -
I am happy to say the police found the car. They arrested the guy who is suspected of the 5+ break-ins. Rolexes and jewelry scattered inside the car.

Detective just called and asked me to read out a vintage s/n but it wasn’t one of mine. I can handle that if it means some of the jewelry is my wife’s. They want me to come down tomorrow to ID anything I can.

Thanks for the positive posts and sentiments all of you have expressed. I will share more as it transpires.

Old 12 December 2017, 07:34 AM   #232
chris.m88
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR DD
That’s awesome! Good to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chris.m88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:35 AM   #233
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Fantastic!
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:38 AM   #234
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.m88 View Post
That’s awesome!
x2 Some excellent police work. Rolexes and jewellery scattered around the car. Sounds like the guy's screwed.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:38 AM   #235
kruis
Banned

Quote:
Friends -
I am happy to say the police found the car. They arrested the guy who is suspected of the 5+ break-ins. Rolexes and jewelry scattered inside the car.

Detective just called and asked me to read out a vintage s/n but it wasn’t one of mine. I can handle that if it means some of the jewelry is my wife’s. They want me to come down tomorrow to ID anything I can.

Thanks for the positive posts and sentiments all of you have expressed. I will share more as it transpires.

That's great news, Good luck man.
kruis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:41 AM   #236
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
That is great news, I so hope you can recover some.
Great respect for how you deal with this
Old 12 December 2017, 07:42 AM   #237
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Great news!
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:44 AM   #238
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Good to hear! Hope they find everything!!!
Old 12 December 2017, 07:46 AM   #239
VladimirS
"TRF" Member

Brilliant news!
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 08:33 AM   #240
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Friends -

YES! Thank goodness for that! I'm really hoping you're able to recover all of it but of course those cherished items especially. Even if it's not in that car at least they've got him where be belongs now and they'll hopefully be able to find anything that isn't there. Keep us posted and this news just made my day!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote