The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 December 2017, 05:14 PM   #2191
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Ah, nice looking derby. Have you checked out Styleforum to see if anyone has any experience with that sole?

On another note it snowed here today so I thought it would be a good idea to break out the Zugs.
I didn't see any negative comments about the soles. They seem to be just as good as Dainite.

The Zug Galways are perfect for snow. Too bad we don't get much of that around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Par for the course for Lobb. They tout they’re MTO program but say no to a lot of MTO requests.
Hmm, strange. IMO, for an MTO, companies should not have a problem making a shoe in any combination of leather uppers/soles that are commonly used by that maker. Refusing to change lasts or making modifications to the design is something I can understand, but this seems odd.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 09:15 PM   #2192
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I didn't see any negative comments about the soles. They seem to be just as good as Dainite.

The Zug Galways are perfect for snow. Too bad we don't get much of that around here.

Hmm, strange. IMO, for an MTO, companies should not have a problem making a shoe in any combination of leather uppers/soles that are commonly used by that maker. Refusing to change lasts or making modifications to the design is something I can understand, but this seems odd.
I looked at JL MTO's last year. There seemed to be a lot of caveats, so I never pursued it. Contrast with G&G, who will put anything you want on one of their lasts.

Can't wait to see the new shoes Wes. Those will be sharp in Parisian brown.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 10:39 PM   #2193
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It maybe a staple but a staple no man should be without. The Black capote Oxford.
You’re a shoe man after my own heart. Nice Edward Greens. Have lots myself including about 10 of their belts, but have outgrown those, unfortunately. I think my shoe collection is even more valuable than my watch collection! What shoe and belt size are you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 52CC87E5-1DF7-46E5-A748-E1A92EBAE46E.jpeg (120.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpeg 8678A6E1-B550-4C30-BF86-379AAA3BFB84.jpeg (78.3 KB, 139 views)
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 12:00 AM   #2194
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
You’re a shoe man after my own heart. Nice Edward Greens. Have lots myself including about 10 of their belts, but have outgrown those, unfortunately. I think my shoe collection is even more valuable than my watch collection! What shoe and belt size are you?
Whoa, almost looks like you have to dedicate a room instead of a closet and alligator too. Actually I ran out of room long ago and find they actually stack better in their boxes on shelves. My Brannock size is 11 1/2 D and I can go from a 38 to 42 for a belt.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 12:20 AM   #2195
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Frankly as much as I like my Zugs I really do hate winter. Maybe if I didn’t have to drive in it it wouldn’t be a as bad. After a another experience with a near miss avoiding another sliding car down an exit ramp yesterday was enough to remind me how I hate slippery dangerous weather. I wasn’t going that fast but when it’s slippery downhill you don’t have to be to cause a good deal of damage.

It just seems to me John Lobbs business model was never setup to accommodate a larger MTO audience but if your willing to go bespoke they would be more accommodating.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 12:58 AM   #2196
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I looked at JL MTO's last year. There seemed to be a lot of caveats, so I never pursued it. Contrast with G&G, who will put anything you want on one of their lasts.

I’ve dealt with John Lobb, Pierre Corthay, and Gaziano and Girling MTO. Of the 3, Corthay was the one willing to do anything from color, last, and model along with special requests on inner lining, piping, sole color, and buckle color. G&G would also do a lot in terms of model, color, and last but I didn’t push it on minor detail tweaks like Corthay. So I don’t know how far you can push the MTO. JL offered almost no tweaks to a MTO shoe.

Of course on bespoke, JL is allowing me to do the small tweaks which they better do for the price I’m paying.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 01:18 AM   #2197
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I’ve dealt with John Lobb, Pierre Corthay, and Gaziano and Girling MTO. Of the 3, Corthay was the one willing to do anything from color, last, and model along with special requests on inner lining, piping, sole color, and buckle color. G&G would also do a lot in terms of model, color, and last but I didn’t push it on minor detail tweaks like Corthay. So I don’t know how far you can push the MTO. JL offered almost no tweaks to a MTO shoe.

Of course on bespoke, JL is allowing me to do the small tweaks which they better do for the price I’m paying.

I think Corthay’s willingness to be more accommodating has more to do with the size of their operation. It’s smaller but if they ever were to get as large as EG or G&G they more than likely would be less accommodating.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 01:24 AM   #2198
dddrees
"TRF" Member

St Crispin’s is another option when it comes to MTOs. For one thing there is no fee and for another you can get a customized Last for no additional fee as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 01:42 AM   #2199
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks. Neil said that the guy at the NYC store told him that the shade of the shoes that they are sending is really great. I want to check them out in person to confirm (Neil showed me two pairs of Parisian museum in the store and they looked slightly different.) before I buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
Now that's a collection!

Quote:
Frankly as much as I like my Zugs I really do hate winter. Maybe if I didn’t have to drive in it it wouldn’t be a as bad. After a another experience with a near miss avoiding another sliding car down an exit ramp yesterday was enough to remind me how I hate slippery dangerous weather. I wasn’t going that fast but when it’s slippery downhill you don’t have to be to cause a good deal of damage.

It just seems to me John Lobbs business model was never setup to accommodate a larger MTO audience but if your willing to go bespoke they would be more accommodating.
Yes, driving in the snow sounds like a nightmare. You should just walk everywhere and put some miles on those Galways!
Old 11 December 2017, 01:51 AM   #2200
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Neil said that the guy at the NYC store told him that the shade of the shoes that they are sending is really great. I want to check them out in person to confirm (Neil showed me two pairs of Parisian museum in the store and they looked slightly different.) before I buy.

Now that's a collection!

Yes, driving in the snow sounds like a nightmare. You should just walk everywhere and put some miles on those Galways!
Unfortunately that would be extremely impractical given where I live. Actually I was just looking to get out of the house and have a bit of fun looking at another interest of mine. But since Santa already delivered one item that goes bang this month I may have to wait before committing to another I saw yesterday. They no longer make it which makes it even more desireable.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 01:59 AM   #2201
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately that would be extremely impractical given where I live. Actually I was just looking to get out of the house and have a bit of fun looking at another interest of mine. But since Santa already delivered one item that goes bang this month I may have to wait before committing to another I saw yesterday. They no longer make it which makes it even more desireable.
“They” no longer make any of my watches and half my unmentionables. Is this a shoe guy thing Dan?
Old 11 December 2017, 02:13 AM   #2202
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
“They” no longer make any of my watches and half my unmentionables. Is this a shoe guy thing Dan?
Shhhhhh, could be but unfortunately around these parts it’s banned.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 03:30 AM   #2203
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Shhhhhh, could be but unfortunately around these parts it’s banned.
Speaking of Santa. My G&G boots should be about ready. It’s been 6 weeks since I ordered them. It would be nice to have them before Xmas.
Old 11 December 2017, 03:33 AM   #2204
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Speaking of Santa. My G&G boots should be about ready. It’s been 6 weeks since I ordered them. It would be nice to have them before Xmas.
Cool.

Didn't you just get your pair of Glencoes, or is this another pair of boots?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 03:35 AM   #2205
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Cool.

Didn't you just get your pair of Glencoes, or is this another pair of boots?
Same pair - in F. Website claims it takes 6 weeks to make them in a wide.
Old 11 December 2017, 03:39 AM   #2206
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Same pair - in F. Website claims it takes 6 weeks to make them in a wide.
Ah, sounds like you wanted a wider pair allowing for thicker socks and colder weather, no?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 03:49 AM   #2207
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Ah, sounds like you wanted a wider pair allowing for thicker socks and colder weather, no?
Nope. I wear an F in all their lasts.

If it takes much longer I will avoid RTW orders from them and stick to MTO. An extra two or three months gets a lot more shoe for the money.
Old 11 December 2017, 05:48 AM   #2208
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I’ve had a few nice pairs of shoes in my day. Mostly trendy though, I suppose.

I had a few Frye boots and some Johnston & Murphy shoes. Very nice for sure.

But since I started wearing these Joseph Abboud boots, I’ve seen a whole new light. The darker pair have literally molded to my feet. But with the bad weather recently in the Northeast I got a little nervous. I’ve nevef taken care of shoes before so I went in to get some advice.

I left with the lighter color boots and some weather conditioner. Apparently these are also fully water/weather proof. I suppose it’ll be good that I don’t wear the same boots everyday.

I looked at the shoes, but I’m really a boots kind of guy. This brand is, to my limited experience and knowledge, exceptional. Looking forward to breaking in the new pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 65AD4399-1C75-45B3-A29C-4856C7FE074D.jpeg (100.9 KB, 118 views)

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 05:50 AM   #2209
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

But since I started wearing these Joseph Abboud boots, I’ve seen a whole new light. The darker pair have literally molded to my feet. But with the bad weather recently in the Northeast I got a little nervous. I’ve nevef taken care of shoes before so I went in to get some advice.

I left with the lighter color boots and some weather conditioner. Apparently these are also fully water/weather proof. I suppose it’ll be good that I don’t wear the same boots everyday.

I looked at the shoes, but I’m really a boots kind of guy. This brand is, to my limited experience and knowledge, exceptional. Looking forward to breaking in the new pair.
Nice looking boots Seth. Congrats!
Old 11 December 2017, 05:55 AM   #2210
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice looking boots Seth. Congrats!
Thank you kind sir.

Old 11 December 2017, 07:13 AM   #2211
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hey Seth,

Nice boots, congrats! If you really want to take care of them, make sure to buy some shoe trees if you haven't already done so. Of of the cheapest and most effective ways of keeping your shoes/boots in good shape is a pair of trees.

Don't be afraid of exposing your boots to foul weather. Just make sure to properly take care of them and they will last you a long time.
Old 11 December 2017, 07:36 AM   #2212
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope. I wear an F in all their lasts.

If it takes much longer I will avoid RTW orders from them and stick to MTO. An extra two or three months gets a lot more shoe for the money.
Ah, I’m confused but it don’t take much.

So is this the first or second pair?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 07:40 AM   #2213
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Very nice, Congrats!! Highly recommend Bick 4 for conditioning and it’ll provide some weather protection as well. You can purchase it on Amazon and I use it on all my footwear from Edward Green to Redwing.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 07:49 AM   #2214
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Ah, I’m confused but it don’t take much.

So is this the first or second pair?
First pair. They have to make the wide sizes, they don't keep any in stock.
Old 11 December 2017, 07:53 AM   #2215
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hey Seth,

Nice boots, congrats! If you really want to take care of them, make sure to buy some shoe trees if you haven't already done so. Of of the cheapest and most effective ways of keeping your shoes/boots in good shape is a pair of trees.

Don't be afraid of exposing your boots to foul weather. Just make sure to properly take care of them and they will last you a long time.
That’s great feedback. I’ve got two of those. I tend to keep them in shoes I don’t wear much. I’ll start rotating through these tho.

Thank you.

Old 11 December 2017, 07:53 AM   #2216
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Very nice, Congrats!! Highly recommend Bick 4 for conditioning and it’ll provide some weather protection as well. You can purchase it on Amazon and I use it on all my footwear from Edward Green to Redwing.
I’m going to do just that. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 11 December 2017, 07:57 AM   #2217
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First pair. They have to make the wide sizes, they don't keep any in stock.
Ah Ok, for some reason I thought you already had them. Anyway Congrats, Nice Looking Boots!!

Santa evidently decided I was a good boy, I just returned with my latest toy. Good thing although the weather is still frosty it’s not nearly as slippery today. So no near misses. Man, I hate winter driving.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 December 2017, 08:58 AM   #2218
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Ah Ok, for some reason I thought you already had them. Anyway Congrats, Nice Looking Boots!!

Santa evidently decided I was a good boy, I just returned with my latest toy. Good thing although the weather is still frosty it’s not nearly as slippery today. So no near misses. Man, I hate winter driving.
The weather gets bad enough to be dangerous about once per year here. Which is enough. No one here knows how to drive on snow or ice.

I had to scrape ice off the car windows this morning. Broke my scraper and couldn't find another.
Old 11 December 2017, 09:14 AM   #2219
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The weather gets bad enough to be dangerous about once per year here. Which is enough. No one here knows how to drive on snow or ice.

I had to scrape ice off the car windows this morning. Broke my scraper and couldn't find another.
Being Ex-Military as believe you areas well i’ve even seen it snow in the Mohave Desert. It didn’t stick but it it did snow.

Anyway, I’ve experienced some snow where it generally doesn’t such as Ft Hood and yes it can be more dangerous when more drivers have no experience. Unfortunately even when more have experience slick is slick and once just one starts sliding sometimes it’s more a matter of luck and whether your there or not vs a matter of experience.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 December 2017, 06:30 AM   #2220
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Ok guys, so this has always been a challenge, but now that winter has reared it's ugly head here in the NE, it's fresh in my mind. Fashion/dress and insulated shoes/boots, any viable options for combining both out there?
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote