The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 13 November 2017, 04:10 AM   #1
WhyMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Buying used Panerai watch..

Found a mint condition panerai I want. The seller is an authorized panerai dealer in US. They said the watch was originally sold by them as new, but I guess the original purchaser sold back to the dealer?

The watch comes with triple boxes and papers. Serial numbers match between what's on the box, booklet, and watch
Since this watch has solid caseback, I cannot see the movement.

I asked the dealer to provide pictures of movement but they said they don't have tools to open the case. Also I asked them to provide an authenticity certificate, but they couldn't. They said I can't return it.

So I am unsure if I should go ahead with the deal or not. What do you folks think? Should I go for the deal?
Old 13 November 2017, 04:15 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Buying used Panerai watch..

I understand that they can’t open the watch , personally if I feel that if I need to ask the question to open the case I wouldn’t even consider it (buy the seller not the watch )

But what is really a red flag is the fact that they refuse to take pics of the watch papers ! Really ?
Stay away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:17 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I understand that they can’t open the watch , personally if I feel that if I need to ask the question to open the case I wouldn’t even consider it (buy the seller not the watch )

But what is really a red flag is the fact that they refuse to take pics of the watch papers ! Really ?
Stay away

Have to agree, papers should be easily shown in is case.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:23 AM   #4
WhyMe
"TRF" Member

They sent pics of warranty booklet showing the store stamp, original purchase date, and serial numbers. So I really don't have red flag other than the fact that they can't show the picture of movement and no return.
Old 13 November 2017, 04:31 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

If they are an authorized Panerai dealer and willing to stand behind its authenticity then it should be good to go. You might ask them if they'd be winning to send you a letter of authenticity just as an extra measure of safety.
Old 13 November 2017, 04:37 AM   #6
WhyMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
If they are an authorized Panerai dealer and willing to stand behind its authenticity then it should be good to go. You might ask them if they'd be winning to send you a letter of authenticity just as an extra measure of safety.
That's the thing. I asked for certificate of authentity, and they said they couldn't. That is bugging me from triggering the deal.
Old 13 November 2017, 04:37 AM   #7
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
You shouldn't worry about the movement if the serial numbers match, from an AD. But don't buy it if you're concerned about returning it.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:39 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
That's the thing. I asked for certificate of authentity, and they said they couldn't. That is bugging me from triggering the deal.
I'd say it's a no then. Too many trusted sellers and ADS who can provide this easily.

What model are you looking at? Have you tried to source elsewhere?

Did they say why they can't provide authenticity?

Seems strange that they are an AD but unable to provide you with this.
Old 13 November 2017, 04:42 AM   #9
WhyMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I'd say it's a no then. Too many trusted sellers and ADS who can provide this easily.

What model are you looking at? Have you tried to source elsewhere?

Did they say why they can't provide authenticity?

Seems strange that they are an AD but unable to provide you with this.
I don't know why they can't. But I will ask them again and let them know that without it, no deal
Old 13 November 2017, 04:47 AM   #10
nick c
Banned

Something is fishy about this dealer, it’s like they are hiding something
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 09:12 AM   #11
solrac6262
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They sent pics of warranty booklet showing the store stamp, original purchase date, and serial numbers. So I really don't have red flag other than the fact that they can't show the picture of movement and no return.
mmm then no reason to be scared ? I sold two on eBay , new owners did not request for pic of movement lol, but watch comes with all paperwork and its an A.D doubt they are selling fakes.

few months back I was buying an AP from a Seller on TRF with lots of posts and reviews, but when I asked the guy for picture of the warranty book he refused.
when I asked if it was Dated and stamped by US AD, he said yes and I requested a picture and he emailed me, but one just showing the date LoL not the box where you get your AD stamp, the guy told me that was only for new owner and it was a private thing to show lol
at first I said fine you have good reviews but then I was like wait lots of money I need to check this and make sure is real.

before last minute of doing the big wire transfer I requested again a picture with the AD stamp, the guy got really upset, he said where is the "trust" and cancel the deal
solrac6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 09:50 AM   #12
WhyMe
"TRF" Member

Trust? On the internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solrac6262 View Post
mmm then no reason to be scared ? I sold two on eBay , new owners did not request for pic of movement lol, but watch comes with all paperwork and its an A.D doubt they are selling fakes.

few months back I was buying an AP from a Seller on TRF with lots of posts and reviews, but when I asked the guy for picture of the warranty book he refused.
when I asked if it was Dated and stamped by US AD, he said yes and I requested a picture and he emailed me, but one just showing the date LoL not the box where you get your AD stamp, the guy told me that was only for new owner and it was a private thing to show lol
at first I said fine you have good reviews but then I was like wait lots of money I need to check this and make sure is real.

before last minute of doing the big wire transfer I requested again a picture with the AD stamp, the guy got really upset, he said where is the "trust" and cancel the deal
Old 13 November 2017, 09:53 AM   #13
solrac6262
2024 Pledge Member

OP what model are you getting?
solrac6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 01:12 PM   #14
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Do forum rules allow you to state the dealer’s name? It would help the vetting process.
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:22 PM   #15
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:

Panerai used to include 2 booklets and blue paper certificate and a warranty card. Last Panerai I bought from an AD, just came with one booklet, inside was the warranty and AD stamp, that was it (as far as documentation)
I would think if it’s an AD, you should be fine and even Grey dealers let you inspect the watch once you receive it. So if your feel good after you inspect it then you are set , but if you don’t then just return it.
Just ask to make sure if you have a period of time to inspect the watch and that returns are accepted.

The other thing is that buying a watch should be fun, if buying it is giving you more stress than fun , then just move on and continue your hunt.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 11:19 PM   #16
fania123
"TRF" Member

If you have to ask then you already have your answer.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 11:59 PM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if they are an official Panerai AD whats the difference then if you bought a new watch? Would you ask for a certificate of authenticity too prior to purchase? Just curious

You will get the papers with the watch but you want something else? confused

If the watch isnt as described and you don't get the papers delivered with the watch you can return it legally regardless of store policy as that is fraud. I understand why they might want to send pics of them prior to purchase as if you are a scammer then you have pics of authentic paperwork and serial numbers

Grey dealers usually have the burden of proof on them to prove they are legitimate but a brand authorized dealer doesn't. They have been vetted and approved by Panerai.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 06:50 AM   #18
Statos
"TRF" Member

Are you taking this dealers word that they are an AD? Check out Panerai's website of listed AD's to see if they are on the list.
Statos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 01:52 PM   #19
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If in doubt, zoom away! It's a buyers market.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 10:22 AM   #20
cpd stick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post

Stay away

Agreed!
cpd stick is offline   Reply With Quote