The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 1 December 2017, 10:26 PM   #31
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
I get mostly on my ss sub and my super avenger as they are probably the "" icon" in marketing.... My pateks/VC and IWCs are way more complicated, expensive and unique but... Your average person just knows nothing besides the basic staples I guess...
Old 2 December 2017, 01:10 AM   #32
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
My YM TT rose and chocolate dial gets the most comments because other women think it’s a Michael Korrs watch.

Old 2 December 2017, 11:02 AM   #33
matrotter43
"TRF" Member

I have a bluesy and hardly get comments, and i kind of like that because it makes it easier to wear as daily watch, but to your point i have wondered if other people on the train to work, etc. know what I'm wearing
Old 2 December 2017, 07:41 PM   #34
Huliganchik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 116503
Most comments I had at a work place were whether it's real or not. This just ticks me off and wish they didnt comment at all, so usually respond with a hypothetical question: does it matter if you can't tell a difference? Luckily a couple of wis joined the company recently who appreciate, comment and discuss watches from time to time. As for outside, I live in nyc and as someone mentioned luxury watches are everywhere. The only comment I ever had outside of AD was from a car dealer. And that was on a zenith ages ago before it was even sold in us. That felt good actually. What I'm trying to say is that it's nice to get a compliment from someone who knows and appreciates watches, otherwise I'd rather hear no comments at all. Not sure if anyone else had this experience.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10 December 2017, 10:41 PM   #35
Lambchop
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I was at the Ashes Cricket test match (Aussies or Brits will get it) last weekend and had a jacket on. I noticed a guy near me with a Batman GMT on straight away. When the rain stopped I removed my jacket and he noticed my Deepsea. Strangely though the first thing he said was 'is that a real one'. Not a classy question to ask when you have one on your own wrist I'd get it if it was a Sub because there are plenty sub fakes but a fake DSSD? Hmmm.
Old 10 December 2017, 10:48 PM   #36
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

I’ve had both the SS Daytona (white dial) and now Ceramic Daytona (black face). I never get comments on them except from A.D.s. However, people used to fall all over themselves when I wore my since sold Patek Aquanaut. Didn’t expect that one. People used to always comment on prior Breitling Chrono Cockpits.

Got the same non-reaction from my prior Alpine White BMW M3 but people go nuts over my Rosso Competizione Alfa Quadrifoglio. Go figure!
Old 11 December 2017, 04:27 AM   #37
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
A bank employee complimented my 14060M just the other day when I was getting my safe deposit box to change watches.

He was a very young man and, while I don't recall if he said anything about which watches he owns, it was just good to meet a young man who has any interest in watches at all.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 11 December 2017, 04:28 AM   #38
You
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
At resorts, and when buying cologne.
Old 11 December 2017, 04:38 AM   #39
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Never .. But thats okay
Old 11 December 2017, 04:42 AM   #40
Deroya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I like to think if you're wearing a Rolex for compliments you're wearing it for the wrong reasons.
Old 11 December 2017, 05:15 AM   #41
DmXmD
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
A Rolex speaks for itself. It's a bit like seeing a B or C level celebrity on the street or in a store. Many people notice they look familiar or know who they are, but no one wants to be the embarrassing person who goes and makes a big scene. They glance a few times when they think the celeb isn't looking and move on with their day.
Old 11 December 2017, 05:19 AM   #42
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
TT Sub LB, daily.
Daily? Come on!
Old 11 December 2017, 05:23 AM   #43
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Only a handful of comments in 30 years wearing Rolex. Usually another WIS.
Ty: By height.
Old 11 December 2017, 05:46 AM   #44
jjwalters3
"TRF" Member

I don’t get comments from strangers, but from friends and family who notice new things. Or an occasional co-worker who’s a Rolex owner. I wear it, not flash it.
Old 11 December 2017, 06:02 AM   #45
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
On a recent trip to NYC I got a dozen or more compliments on my hip leather jacket, none on watched.
Old 11 December 2017, 06:19 AM   #46
Big Bill
"TRF" Member

Watch: DEEPSEA D-Blue
I had a guy come up to me to comment on my D-Blue and says nice Invicta it’s hard to tell it’s not a real Rolex. I just said thank you and was on my way. I wear my watches to please myself.
Old 11 December 2017, 06:19 AM   #47
maton12
"TRF" Member

There are plenty of chronograph watches out there. The SS Daytona blends in, the ceramic is just a little bit more out there - as mentioned above most people are immersed in their own lives to worry

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 11 December 2017, 06:28 AM   #48
dumbo1234
"TRF" Member

I own a outdoor retail store and always talk watches when someone come in wearing something worth talking about. 70% of the people really appreciate it; a lady wearing a Milgauss recently was really surprised that I noticed her watch, as she had never received a compliment on it. Often if I compliment someone on their watch, they want to tell me the story behind it: gift, pass-down, longtime desire to own one and now it came to pass. Again though, I hear alot of "wow, you are the first person to notice it!". I even had one woman with a gorgeous TT 36mm DJ tell me that her husband offered to buy her a special anniversary gift the year before, but wanted her to pick it out. Tennis bracelet, diamond pendant, or a new watch. She picked the DJ, but said I was only the 3rd person to notice it after a year of daily wear, the other 2 being close friends.

I agree, it seems odd that most people don't pick up on watches.
Old 11 December 2017, 06:34 AM   #49
dumbo1234
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
I’ve had both the SS Daytona (white dial) and now Ceramic Daytona (black face). I never get comments on them except from A.D.s. However, people used to fall all over themselves when I wore my since sold Patek Aquanaut. Didn’t expect that one. People used to always comment on prior Breitling Chrono Cockpits.

Got the same non-reaction from my prior Alpine White BMW M3 but people go nuts over my Rosso Competizione Alfa Quadrifoglio. Go figure!
I have noticed that as well: the M3 looks like every other 3-series to a non-enthusiast. I drove an M3 and literally nobody noticed the car, even though they are very rare around here. When I sold it and purchased a Yas Marina M4, the compliments wouldn't stop. It was the color: all of the sudden, I had a special flashy sports car, obviously not a run-of-the-mill 428i.

When I drive my 2007 997.2 C2S 911, I get compliments everywhere. People drool over that car. It could be had for less than $40,000 these days, easily, but people don't see a decade old car. They see "911" and assume you dropped $110k on it. It is a special car, but the attention it generates is quite outsized. A new Toyota Highlander is more expensive.

The M3, especially an E90 sedan, is quite a sleeper. That is OK by me.
Old 11 December 2017, 06:51 AM   #50
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
You have to get into someone's personal space to compliment them on a watch. Most folks don't feel comfortable doing so. Before I had a Rolex I noticed plenty, but never said a word.

This.

I have received 3 comments on my Exp I in the last 15 years.

Best regards,
Old 11 December 2017, 06:57 AM   #51
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
All the time.

It’s getting uncomfortable. But ultimately I don’t mind. Depends on the way it’s brought up.

If it’s appreciation of watches, I’m all for it. Sometimes it’s a question of money. That I try to avoid.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 11 December 2017, 06:59 AM   #52
Yvette
"TRF" Member

Only 3 comments so far
2 from my friends, 1 from a non Rolex AD
Old 11 December 2017, 09:07 AM   #53
roviw
"TRF" Member

Hardly any comments in the 14 years or so that I have had a Rolex, maybe no more than 12 to 15 comments ever !
16700 GMT Master Pepsi Bezel
Old 11 December 2017, 10:29 AM   #54
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 December 2017, 10:34 AM   #55
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I get it with my YG oyster flex daytona (ceramic) all the time. Others not so much.
Old 11 December 2017, 10:41 AM   #56
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Very rarely even the Daytona which many want but can't have and even it garners no attention except of course at an AD then it means a great deal.:)
Old 11 December 2017, 10:47 AM   #57
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Seldom get any comments. I rotate a BLNR, LVc, TT GMT2c and 16610. Recently I was on a flight in the US. The guy next to me was wearing a platona, only one I’ve seen in the wild. I commented on his watch and he looked at his wrist, turned to me and said thanks in a tone that transmitted leave me alone. You would think someone that wears a platona has some kind of WIS in them. I’ve commented a few times and it never lead to any conversation so maybe many WIS just keep their comments to themselves to avoid the awkward moments.
Old 11 December 2017, 10:55 AM   #58
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
No, thankfully. Rolex wearer since 1964.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:18 PM   #59
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Just got one today on my RG Daytona with strap. Co worker says “what kind of watch is that” and I said “it’s a Rolex”. She said “wow...have seen a bunch of those, but never one like that. It’s absolutely beautiful”. Nice moment. That’s only the 3rd compliment in 1.5 yrs of wearing a Daytona. Other 2 were on my SS version.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:41 PM   #60
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Last year, I sat with a good friend of mine to talk watches. She wanted to buy her boyfriend a few hundred dollar Seiko, because he was getting into watches a bit. After giving her the rundown of the watch world for an hour, I finally gave in and pointed out the Explorer II on my wrist, and she was like, "Whoa, you wear a Rolex?"

Now, I've been wearing Rolex watches for something like 7 years, and she's been my close friend the entire time, yet it still took me pointing it out to her after an hour long watch discussion for her to even notice.

I think I've only had 2-3 unsolicited Rolex comments in 7 years. No one cares.
Closed Thread