The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2017, 11:08 PM   #31
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWays View Post
I've never understood the "it's just a watch". People must have a lot of money to be able to dismiss something costing so much in such a cavalier manner.

A Ferrari is just a car, a diamond is just a rock, gold is just another metal, the Mona Lisa is just another painting...
I wear a platinum Daytona every day. I think after almost a year, the case looks perfect, but if I look closely, the bracelet has lots of little hairline scratches. With a ceramic bezel, of course that looks perfect. I don't wear it if I'm moving furniture or swapping out winter/summer wheels on my car or fixing plumbing or whatever. For everyday life, I don't worry.

I think I'd have to have a lot more money to sink so much into a watch and seldom wear it or enjoy it.

I will admit that I park my car far enough away from the unwashed masses that my friends make fun of me. But I drive it and enjoy it! I just try to keep it out of harm's way. I guess it's the same with a nice watch. OP's watch is a beauty -- it's what started me down the rabbit hole of getting back into watches and onto TRF 1 1/2 years ago. I would want to enjoy it.
Old 1 December 2017, 11:10 PM   #32
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Sounds like a good set up to me, enjoy the Sub as your daily wearer, and enjoy the Daytona at the weekend and going out with friends/family.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 11:33 PM   #33
MaverickMP
"TRF" Member

Just a watch, wear it and enjoy it! What’s the point of having it if you don’t wear it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MaverickMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 11:37 PM   #34
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
If you believe you will keep the watch then I would wear it and beat it and let it experience all the fun possible. Or sell it.
Old 1 December 2017, 11:45 PM   #35
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
You have to just get past that but after the first scratch you wont worry as much. It only gets better and as has been said they are easy to polish out although i would not recommend polishing all the time maybe just at service time congrats it sure is a beauty.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 11:57 PM   #36
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

I have had my Daytona since August. It has been a daily wear. Even wear it to the gym on days I go there straight from work. Still looks new. No need to baby.

2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 12:16 AM   #37
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Do what makes your feel comfortable. If you are afraid to wear it, don't wear it. If you wake up one day and put it on great. Being happy is most important so if you only wear it once or twice a year, that's okay. Just having it in your collection makes you happy and that is what is important. I don't care if you own it and never wear it.
Old 2 December 2017, 12:27 AM   #38
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

Wear it!
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 12:43 AM   #39
rkim11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
It takes a while to get used to it. Just wear it.
rkim11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 12:49 AM   #40
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
My every day watch is normally my 16610 2010 Sub with a 2016 GMT clasp (perfect combination) bought nos. I use this most days and will wear it anywhere but it is in pretty perfect condition still.

Now I have a DaytonaC, very lucky to get it from my fantastic AD in the U.K who love their watches too. I have worn it quite a bit and to be frank it does have some scratching on the bracelet etc which tends to show the marks quite easily.

Then Daytona is very pretty and I like it a lot and aesthetically it is superior to the Sub but to me it feels very delicate when I wear it.

I would love to put it on and used it most days but I am so scared of marking it that I default to the Sub. The Daytona I feel needs to be babied to keep it looking tip top while the Sub just takes everything and still looks superb.

This probably has loads to do with the PCL but the Daytona just feels like a dress watch and not what Rolex has been to me as rugged (via Subs and GMTs that I have owned).

I am a year in with the Daytona and it has stated just coming out for meals out etc and I just cannot get it back to being a daily wearer.

For sure I am being silly but I want it as my default watch and daily wearer but go to the Sub every time right now.
Not silly. I wear my 16610 all the time. When I’m off I wear the YM two tone rose and chocolate dial. The BLNR, Sub Serti and Daytona C only come out for more special times and when I pick up my Hulk at Christmas I will probably use it sparingly also.
Old 2 December 2017, 12:56 AM   #41
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
First things first - that watch looks AMAZING!

I would suggest putting it on a rubber strap as others have said if you are concerned about the PCL bracelet.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 01:23 AM   #42
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I did that with my platinum Daytona. When I really thought about it, I may be dead in ten years; why leave it in the safe? Did I buy it so my kids could mark it up after I'm gone, or should I just enjoy the hell out of it while I can? It's that simple....
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 01:24 AM   #43
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
Do what makes your feel comfortable. If you are afraid to wear it, don't wear it. If you wake up one day and put it on great. Being happy is most important so if you only wear it once or twice a year, that's okay. Just having it in your collection makes you happy and that is what is important. I don't care if you own it and never wear it.
Couldn't agree more.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 01:35 AM   #44
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
If you going to brush the links for that reason might as well just use a cape cod cloth to polish the scratches on the links when needed. The PLCs are nice and gives the watch little sparkle. I prefer them over the boring brushed tool look. Easy fix. Trust me brushing the links will do a lot more damage to the value of the watch then the occasional cape cod polish on the PLCs from time to time.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 01:49 AM   #45
Juantxo
Banned

Either you enjoy your watch or your watch makes you suffer. Brake the chains...!!!
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 01:56 AM   #46
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

Just wear it and enjoy it. I️ daily wear my Daytona and scratches just add character.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 02:30 AM   #47
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If it helps to put things in perspective, the watch will long outlast you and me, so there is no point in fussing over it too much.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 02:58 AM   #48
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
I did that with my platinum Daytona. When I really thought about it, I may be dead in ten years; why leave it in the safe? Did I buy it so my kids could mark it up after I'm gone, or should I just enjoy the hell out of it while I can? It's that simple....

Sometimes I think this forum is overly focused on keeping watches looking like new under a loupe and on market value. OK, not sometimes, all the time.

I think most folks off of TRF buy a nice watch to enjoy it, and never think "I wonder what it's worth today" or "gosh, this no longer looks brand new." It's funny that perhaps we who view this with more passion have a harder time enjoying it.
Old 2 December 2017, 03:04 AM   #49
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I’m personally not crazy about a brushed bracelet with the fully polished case. IMO it looks off. You’d have to brush the top of the lugs too which given what we know about you thus far is likely not an option (I wouldn’t do that either to my new Daytona).

That said, I think this warm up period takes time. For me I get through it in about 1-2 months. For others it will take longer. Just keep wearing it little by little and before you know it, it will reach daily wear status.

If it still continues to bug you, you could source an alternative bracelet/strap. I’m not a big fan of PCLs, so I’m always tinkering. Super jubilee looks awesome IMO. Everest makes some great straps or if you can get your hands on an Oysterflex, the look and feel is incredible!

Don’t mean to derail the thread, but how does your Everest strap compare to the Oysterflex? I love the look

marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 03:14 AM   #50
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
The first mark is the most difficult. Wear and enjoy.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 03:53 AM   #51
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post
Don’t mean to derail the thread, but how does your Everest strap compare to the Oysterflex? I love the look

hmmm... I'll try to be brief.

Overall the comparison speaks volumes for the Everest Band. Quick answer, is that I'd give the slight edge to the Oysterflex. But you'd have to take into consideration that the Everest is half the price, and always available to purchase. Also to complete the OF look you have to buy Endlinks, which will cost you another $80-100.

The quality is very similar, but contextually speaking you gotta give it to the OF considering the R&D gonna into the strap. It's not your average simple rubber strap, considering the design and metal blades built inside the rubber. The fins inside the OF are a really cool feature designed to ventilate and eliminate moisture build up under the strap.

It's a super cool concept that definitely works, but it might be slightly over engineered. I wore an Everest band on my submariner for a week working in Miami in July. No issues. So is the OF ventilation system better? Probably, but it's not really an issue with my Everest strap either.

Additionally the ventilation fins, raise the height of the strap off the wrist, which changes the profile. It's a little bit of a design flaw when viewing the strap from the side profile. There's no issue with the height and profile of the everest band.

In closing, if I couldn't source the OF I'd be perfectly happy with the Everest Band as my rubber strap on any watch. But I do prefer the OF.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 04:13 AM   #52
Amiroo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak Chrono
you have to wear that watch my friend, life is just way too short not too.
Rolex GMT-Master II BLNR 116710
Amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 04:15 AM   #53
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:
hmmm... I'll try to be brief.

Overall the comparison speaks volumes for the Everest Band. Quick answer, is that I'd give the slight edge to the Oysterflex. But you'd have to take into consideration that the Everest is half the price, and always available to purchase. Also to complete the OF look you have to buy Endlinks, which will cost you another $80-100.

The quality is very similar, but contextually speaking you gotta give it to the OF considering the R&D gonna into the strap. It's not your average simple rubber strap, considering the design and metal blades built inside the rubber. The fins inside the OF are a really cool feature designed to ventilate and eliminate moisture build up under the strap.

It's a super cool concept that definitely works, but it might be slightly over engineered. I wore an Everest band on my submariner for a week working in Miami in July. No issues. So is the OF ventilation system better? Probably, but it's not really an issue with my Everest strap either.

Additionally the ventilation fins, raise the height of the strap off the wrist, which changes the profile. It's a little bit of a design flaw when viewing the strap from the side profile. There's no issue with the height and profile of the everest band.

In closing, if I couldn't source the OF I'd be perfectly happy with the Everest Band as my rubber strap on any watch. But I do prefer the OF.

Very helpful. Thanks. My wallet was hoping you’d say that the Everest was at least comparable - sounds like it is
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 04:35 AM   #54
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Quote:
I’m personally not crazy about a brushed bracelet with the fully polished case. IMO it looks off. You’d have to brush the top of the lugs too which given what we know about you thus far is likely not an option (I wouldn’t do that either to my new Daytona).

That said, I think this warm up period takes time. For me I get through it in about 1-2 months. For others it will take longer. Just keep wearing it little by little and before you know it, it will reach daily wear status.

If it still continues to bug you, you could source an alternative bracelet/strap. I’m not a big fan of PCLs, so I’m always tinkering. Super jubilee looks awesome IMO. Everest makes some great straps or if you can get your hands on an Oysterflex, the look and feel is incredible!

OOOHHHH That lovely jubbly jubilee on the Daytona is just so so right
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 04:42 AM   #55
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
Like buying a new car and worrying about that first scratch. Afterwards, (when we notice the scratch) we get over it. As with a new car, get over it and enjoy wearing the watch.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 04:57 AM   #56
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Afraid to wear my Daytona....

Just Wear it and if it becomes your daily wearer then so be it!

I have been wearing mine and yes it is hard to rotate out of because it fits and looks so good but there is nothing wrong with having a favorite!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 05:23 AM   #57
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

This scratched up Daytona just sold for nearly $18 million. I wouldn't worry about it. If it were my watch, I'd only take it off to sleep.

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 05:42 AM   #58
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

Sometimes I think this forum is overly focused on keeping watches looking like new under a loupe and on market value. OK, not sometimes, all the time.

I think most folks off of TRF buy a nice watch to enjoy it, and never think "I wonder what it's worth today" or "gosh, this no longer looks brand new." It's funny that perhaps we who view this with more passion have a harder time enjoying it.
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ Agree! And I’ll chime in as another person who wears that same particular Daytona as these gentlemen, 90% of the time
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 05:59 AM   #59
novae500
"TRF" Member

i rotate my watches every 6 months and rarely if ever take it off. i do watch what i do when wearing them so i dont scratch them.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 06:04 AM   #60
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
This scratched up Daytona just sold for nearly $18 million. I wouldn't worry about it. If it were my watch, I'd only take it off to sleep.

Haha not sure if the comparison to Paul Newman’s watch applies in this case.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote