The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 December 2017, 06:14 AM   #91
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Wow, Paul extremely sorry to hear this....I am seeing an increase in Rolex crime in state of Georgia.

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 06:26 AM   #92
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Finally got the last of the carpentry done to secure the windows that were forced open.

Neighbors pitching in - good feelings expressed. Taking inventory still of other items but about 95% sure I’ve ID’d what’s missing.

Thank you all - sorry I can’t respond individually to each message of support.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 06:32 AM   #93
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
:(
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 06:33 AM   #94
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Sorry to hear about this. I’m curious though, despite how good your neighbourhood, burglaries will happen. I must be the most paranoid person on the planet.

I always keep my collection split between two insurance approved safes. I never keep an expensive watch on my bedside table (nightstand for you cousins).

I’ll put the house alarm on if I’m in the garden or working out in my garden gym.

I insure all my watches and agree it’s expensive when you have a valuable collection but to me insurance is a necessary evil.

I really hope you get them back. I would invest in a safe if you don’t already have one.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 06:34 AM   #95
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Such a terrible thing you had to go through. I hate the thought of someone invading another's private space. I wish you well and hope they catch these a**holes.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 07:23 AM   #96
Ballaratboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Very sorry to hear about this and I do hope you can get your precious watches back.
Ballaratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 07:26 AM   #97
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Paul, so sorry that you are going through this. Your family is still intact and you will come out stronger and with even more sense of purpose. Good luck.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 07:33 AM   #98
Karle12
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Omega, etc
Sorry to hear, I really hope they are caught and that you get your watches back
Karle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 08:09 AM   #99
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
HATE hearing these types of stories and hate even more there are people out there that do acts like this. So sorry to hear and it seems like you're handling this well which is good to see.
Old 3 December 2017, 08:48 AM   #100
mikeps2006
"TRF" Member

sorry to hear....
mikeps2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 08:53 AM   #101
s2h904
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Such a terrible thing you had to go through. I hate the thought of someone invading another's private space. I wish you well and hope they catch these a**holes.

Amen, happened to me in 2012. Your outlook on personal security will change forever(as did mine).

All my best Paul.......I will gladly be on the lookout for your watches in the NE Fla area.
s2h904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 08:57 AM   #102
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Sorry this happened to you but glad you and the family are safe. Best of luck recovering the items.
Old 3 December 2017, 09:55 AM   #103
Roy Rolls
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss.
Roy Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:16 AM   #104
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Just terrible
Will hope for a good outcome
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:55 AM   #105
JTL31

Sorry for your loss, Paul. Best wishes to you & your family as you move forward.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:17 PM   #106
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Very sorry!
Old 3 December 2017, 12:31 PM   #107
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Get some sleep just be happy you were not there your still alive and hopefully they will catch the scum that invaded your home so sorry!
After losing a Platinum Daytona I'd be hoping they'd come back, so I could kill them.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:35 PM   #108
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Horrible and sadly a reality that can pretty much happen to anyone. Not that looking back helps but the timing of the thieves seems either unfathomably lucky or the house was being monitored. To happen the one time you leave the alarm off.....Ughh!

I now live in a highrise and have been very close to getting a house again and the only thing that has been stopping me is how secure it is here and how tough it would be to get even close to the security I have now.

Enough of that, just expressing what immediately came to mind. Hoping you had good insurance and will enjoy shopping for replacements.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 01:13 PM   #109
77T

Things look orderly again inside the home.

Life does change - my job is to see which positive adjustments to implement. The neighbors have really been great.

Truly appreciate the views people have expressed here with worthwhile ideas.

Ironic - 3 different computers taken but the gift bag (in plain view) with my son’s new MacBook was untouched.
He gets it tomorrow.

I really appreciate the support everyone.

Old 3 December 2017, 01:26 PM   #110
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

You think these were pros?
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 02:33 PM   #111
rolex aficionado
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16018-16610-116520
Sorry to hear that....
rolex aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:06 PM   #112
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoAnderson View Post
You think these were pros?

According to police investigators, that is a top theory. Second theory, an experienced crew. Last theory, a crime of opportunity.

I will share some more detail soon. Right now I am focused on the great support help from everyone. Thank you.

I was just able to hit the PMs people sent - was delayed because of time to respond. I appreciate those who have offered advice and even forwarded pictures/details of the stolen Rolexes. Every little bit helps. People scanning Craigslist, sharing to other watch networks, even Instagram certainly helps. Police also mentioned looking at pawn shops. Of course, I’m “bandwidth limited” for the time being so all the help I get is most appreciated.

In the spirit of helping readers - here are some learnings:

1- Never forget to arm your system.

Even if running what should have been a 30 minute errand. I couldn’t have guessed a family emergency some 2 hours away would have lengthened my task list into a 12-hour ordeal away from home.

On security systems:
Mine has 3 levels and I routinely had it set to level 2 for arming. I won’t cite the “big name” firm I use for monitoring - suffice it to say the best doesn’t matter if you forget.

Three levels? Yes, level 1 is passive “always on” for smoke, CO, and any glass break. This way breaking window glass even sets it off. The thieves used a pry tool to unseat a properly locked lower sash and pressed it inward. (No glass broken) Thus, LE believing it could be pro/experienced crew.

Level 2 is typical for most systems you know about. All wired and wireless sensors armed via keypad. It’s what you would use for nighttime monitoring. We also have proximity sensors for driveway and obscure entry doors. Those wake you up so you can react with, ahem, those hand-things you’d use for personal defense if someone approaches those sensors.

Level 3 is level 2 + full motion detection anywhere in the home. It is designed for times when you are away and nobody is at home. That would’ve cut the time down inside. It triggers instant sirens and a dispatch command.

Our monitoring is prominently displayed curbside at driveway and all entry points. So they knew security systems was here - or may have thought signage was a ruse. Either way - my learning is never let your guard down. This is the first R/B crew break-in since the neighborhood was developed in mid-1990’s. It is easy to be lulled into complacency for those short walks down the lane, or quick errands. Never again.

2- Use massive safe consistent with the value being secured.

In my case I was a serial flipper buying, trading, selling regularly since 2008. Often had many watches. But recently I had reduced to the two I lost. They were grails to keep for life. (A sidebar - when we say “lifetime keeper”, it depends upon whose lifetime - yours, or the watch’s life in your possession)

But, even with just my 2 and my recently deceased wife’s 2, the value was like the 8 or more that had been here a few months ago. So considering the value, a Platona and a DD deserve an 800 lb fireproof safe. Won’t need it now, but you might want one after reading this thread. If this saves one Rolex worth a lot, it is a wise investment.

3- Insurance
This is an area everyone debates and we shall never have unanimous agreement. When I was younger and had mortgages, car loans, etc. the holder of the notes called the tune. We had multiple policies as specified in the contracts. Full coverages all around at very high levels. Riders for the 5-figure items. But not with the past few acquisitions - so Platona & DD are on me.

Yes, you might say “stupid”. But here’s how I look at it...
I retired from years of being overpaid, earning bonuses and stock options leading teams at AT&T. I led, they produced. All of that is now invested and safe. My watch hobby was funded when I retired from active sports car racing. Sold the race cars, trailer, etc - repaid the home account for the original capital outlay - and bought my first Daytona with the left-over funds. I went from being the “nut behind the wheel” into Motorsports leadership in Race Control.

The Platona & DD were self-funded from that first Daytona and 10 years of flipping and trading. All the while rationing profits into the next one or two pieces. I have owned, worn, enjoyed some 50 models of Rolex, Omega, and other brands in serial fashion, a few at a time. I lost some value - $10K + the efforts flipping over 10 years...

But I’ll never lose the memories of owning those 50-ish watches over 10 years. I also made dozens of TRF friends and enjoyed many GTG’s, giveaways (did I mention I won 3rd prize once?) and the fond memories of posts by JJ, Jocke, VTCGuy and dozens of other memorable members.

No burglars can take that from me.

Yes our son will never get Dad’s DD. Our daughter won't have her mom’s diamond dialed OP. The grandkids never get to haggle over a Platona when I take the last checkered flag.

But I’ve got years to go and maybe - just maybe, as slim as the chances are - they will be recovered along with my heavenward wife’s OP’s.

Your help keeping eyes open - alerting your connections - and sharing input/ideas are a true value and most happily welcome.

Sorry for such a long rambling answer to your well-timed question. It is Sunday morning here and I had a few moments to share how much I value you folks. And balance my sense of loss with the rewards I’ve gained here.

Last edited by 77T; 3 December 2017 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: typo's corrected
Old 3 December 2017, 11:27 PM   #113
Iflylo
"TRF" Member

Wonderful post. You just lifted my spirits! God bless you!!
Old 3 December 2017, 11:30 PM   #114
Xerxes77
Banned

Said day
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:34 PM   #115
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
According to police investigators, that is a top theory. Second theory, an experienced crew. Last theory, a crime of opportunity.

I will share some more detail soon. Right now I am focused on the great support help from everyone. Thank you.

I was just able to hit the PMs people sent - was delayed because of time to respond. I appreciate those who are offered advice and even forwarded pictures/details of the stolen Rolexes. Every little bit helps. People scanning Craigslist, sharing to other watch networks, even Instagram certainly helps. Police also mentioned looking at pawn shops. Of course, I’m “bandwidth limited” for the time being so all the help I get is most appreciated.

In the spirit of helping readers - here are some learnings:

1- Never forget to arm your system.

Even if running what should have been a 30 minute task. I couldn’t have guessed a family emergency some 2 hours away would have lengthened my task list into a 12-hour ordeal away from home.

On security systems:
Mine has 3 levels and I routinely had it set to level 2 for arming. I won’t cite the “big name” firm I use for monitoring - suffice it to say the best doesn’t matter if you forget.

Three levels? Yes, level 1 is passive “always on” for smoke, CO, and any glass break. This way breaking a window even sets it off. The thieves used a pry tool to unseat a properly locked lower sash and press it inward. (No glass broken) Thus, LE believing it could be pro/experienced crew.

Level 2 is typical for most systems you know about. All wired and wireless sensors armed via keypad. It’s what you would use for nighttime monitoring. We also have proximity sensors for driveway and obscure entry doors. Those wake you up so you can react with, ahem, those hand-things you’d use for personal defense.

Level 3 is level 2 + full motion detection anywhere in the home. It is designed for times when you are away and nobody is at home. That would’ve cut the time down inside. It triggers instant sirens and dispatch command.

Our monitoring is prominently displayed curbside at driveway and all entry points. So they knew security systems was here - or may have thought signage was a ruse. Either way - my learning is never let your guard down. This is the first R/B crew break-in since the neighborhood was developed in mid-1990’s. It is easy to be lulled into complacency for those short walks down the lane, or quick errands. Never again.

2- Use massive safe consistent with the value being secured.

In my case I was a serial flipper buying, trading, selling regularly since 2008. Often had many watches. But recently I had reduced to the two I lost. They were grails to keep for life. (A sidebar - when we say “lifetime keeper”, it depends upon whose lifetime - yours, or the watch’s life in your possession)

But, even with just my 2 and my recently deceased wife’s 2, the value was like the 8 or more that had been here a few months ago. So considering the value, a Platona and a DD deserve an 800 lb fireproof safe. Won’t need it now, but you might want one after reading this thread. If this saves one Rolex worth a lot, it is a wise investment.

3- Insurance
This is an area everyone debates and we shall never have unanimous agreement. When I was younger and had mortgages, car loans, etc. the holder of the notes called the tune. We had multiple policies as specified in the contracts. Full coverages all around at very high levels. Riders for the 5-figure items. But not with the past few acquisitions - so Platona & DD are on me.

Yes, you might say “stupid”. But here’s how I look at it...
I retired from years of being overpaid, earning bonuses and stock options leading teams at AT&T. I led, they produced. All of that is now invested and safe. My watch hobby was funded when I retired from active sports car racing. Sold the race cars, trailer, etc - repaid the home account for the original capital outlay - and bought my first Daytona with the left-over funds. I went from being the “nut behind the wheel” into Motorsports leadership in Race Control.

The Platona & DD were self-funded from 10 years of flipping and trading. All the while rationing profits into the next one or two pieces. I have owned, worn, enjoyed some 50 models of Rolex, Omega, and other brands in serial fashion, a few at a time. I lost $10K + the efforts flipping. But I’ll never lose the memories of owning those 50-ish watches over 10 years.i also made dozens of TRF friends and enjoyed many GTG’s, giveaways (did I mention I won 3rd prize one?) and the fond memories of JJ, Jocke, VTCGuy and dozens of other memorable members.

No robber can take that from me.

Yes our son will never get Dad’s DD. Our daughter never sees her mom’s diamond dialed OP. The grandkids never get to haggle over a Platona when I take the last checkered flag.

But I’ve got years to go and maybe - just maybe, as slim as the chances are - they will be recovered along with my heavenward wife’s OP’s.

Your help keeping eyes open - alerting your connections - and sharing input/ideas are a true value and most happily welcome.

Sorry for such a long rambling answer to your well-times question. It is Sunday morning here and I had a few moments to share how much I value you folks. And balance my sense of loss with the rewards I’ve gained here.

Good luck Paul man. God bless you and you (and we) should not forget good health is so much more important. I still really hope and wish you recover everything.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:44 PM   #116
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
God Bless Paul,,,,
perfectly put,,,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 12:55 AM   #117
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
It's nice to hear this update. Just keep moving along !
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:06 AM   #118
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Hugs! Praying that you get back what was taken!
Old 4 December 2017, 02:07 AM   #119
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Great post, Paul. Was well worth reading and my fingers remain crossed.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:19 AM   #120
IAN1
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex of course.
So sorry for your loss friend.
IAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote