The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2017, 11:43 AM   #1
zfkta
"TRF" Member

Where to buy your first Rolex?

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum and am really glad to be a part of it!

Anyways, I was pretty sure that I would get my watch from an AD because at that time I didn't know any other options. Then I found TRF, which opened my eyes to a whole new world.

I saw many great deals from our sellers in the forum and became more inclined to buy from them. As appealing as the deals may seem, I still have this strange feelings about owning a "pre-owned" watch even though they look perfectly like new. But again, why pay more money at ADs (including sales tax) if the watches are essentially the same. I feel like I'm overthinking about this whole thing, but just couldn't make up my mind.

Has anyone encountered this dilemma before? Would you prefer to buy from ADs or trusted sellers for your VERY FIRST Rolex?

Thanks!
zfkta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Pawn shop outside Ft Bragg NC. Bought a 5513 for around 1500ish.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:17 PM   #3
HCTM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfkta View Post
Hi Guys,

Anyways, I was pretty sure that I would get my watch from an AD because at that time I didn't know any other options. Then I found TRF, which opened my eyes to a whole new world.

I saw many great deals from our sellers in the forum and became more inclined to buy from them. As appealing as the deals may seem, I still have this strange feelings about owning a "pre-owned" watch even though they look perfectly like new. But again, why pay more money at ADs (including sales tax) if the watches are essentially the same. I feel like I'm overthinking about this whole thing, but just couldn't make up my mind.

Has anyone encountered this dilemma before? Would you prefer to buy from ADs or trusted sellers for your VERY FIRST Rolex?

Thanks!
In the same boat as you and buying from an AD because I don't trust my knowledge enough to buy elsewhere. Also buying new.. for similar reasons and also just cause I want to be the only owner.. even if that does sound a bit weird. After I seen that poor guy get scammed the other day for near US$10k on here by another member polowatch or something that completely eliminated any interest I had in that side of things..
HCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:26 PM   #4
wildcat465
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
I prefer to keep the most amount of money in my pocket while getting the watch that I want.

I see Iittle value in the so-called AD experience except to use them as a dressing room to try on watches.

I almost purchased a new WG DD for $43k. Instead. I purchased two preowned DDs, one in Pt and the other RG for my wife. They included box and tags and lifetime warranty from an established jeweler. Each piece is indistinguishable from new....no scratches, dents...perfect.

It's your money...if you want to pay thousands for a bottle of water and a magic show that makes your hard earned money disappear, then more power to you. ADs sure are nice though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
wildcat465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:29 PM   #5
JR_Rider
"TRF" Member

I decided never to buy a new watch from a dealer after I bought a Hublot Classic Fusion for $7,000 or so and went to sell it 3 weeks later and got $3700. I then bought my first Rolex from a seller who had good feedback on here and bought a 116400 clear glass black dial.
JR_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:35 PM   #6
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
There are some Rolex ADs that send their trade-ins to RSC for servicing then sell them as pre-owned with the two year Rolex service warranty card. You'll know what you are getting and a fair price to boot! Just do your homework.
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 01:54 PM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
If it's a BLNR, LV-c, Daytona-c, or SD43, then get it at the AD...if you can.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 03:52 PM   #8
zfkta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCTM View Post
In the same boat as you and buying from an AD because I don't trust my knowledge enough to buy elsewhere. Also buying new.. for similar reasons and also just cause I want to be the only owner.. even if that does sound a bit weird. After I seen that poor guy get scammed the other day for near US$10k on here by another member polowatch or something that completely eliminated any interest I had in that side of things..
That's horrible...Although I am still confidence in more established dealers like David and Tony, I agree that spotting scammers does require more experience.
Old 8 December 2017, 04:02 PM   #9
zfkta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat465 View Post
I prefer to keep the most amount of money in my pocket while getting the watch that I want.

I see Iittle value in the so-called AD experience except to use them as a dressing room to try on watches.

I almost purchased a new WG DD for $43k. Instead. I purchased two preowned DDs, one in Pt and the other RG for my wife. They included box and tags and lifetime warranty from an established jeweler. Each piece is indistinguishable from new....no scratches, dents...perfect.

It's your money...if you want to pay thousands for a bottle of water and a magic show that makes your hard earned money disappear, then more power to you. ADs sure are nice though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
That's right, by no means do I want to pay more money just for the experience.
Old 8 December 2017, 04:19 PM   #10
zfkta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
I decided never to buy a new watch from a dealer after I bought a Hublot Classic Fusion for $7,000 or so and went to sell it 3 weeks later and got $3700. I then bought my first Rolex from a seller who had good feedback on here and bought a 116400 clear glass black dial.
Thanks for the feedback, buying from seller is apparently more cost-efficient

Also a note to self: probably stay away from Fusion...
Old 8 December 2017, 04:28 PM   #11
zfkta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WatchDawg View Post
There are some Rolex ADs that send their trade-ins to RSC for servicing then sell them as pre-owned with the two year Rolex service warranty card. You'll know what you are getting and a fair price to boot! Just do your homework.
Thanks for the advice! I assume the pre-owneds at Tourneau fit your description? If a watch is serviced, would its value drop somehow?

Forgive me if you found these questions silly
Old 8 December 2017, 04:34 PM   #12
zfkta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
If it's a BLNR, LV-c, Daytona-c, or SD43, then get it at the AD...if you can.
But if I can't, is it worth it to buy an older version from seller at about MSRP free of sales tax?
Old 8 December 2017, 04:41 PM   #13
DmXmD
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Just do some research on a model you want. If you can’t find it at an AD, it doesn’t matter anyway right? If you can, it’s probably a model you can get a discount on and have shipped to you to save the tax. Go this route and you can definitely save money. The grey dealers will have some PM or some undesirable models for good discounts, but will be charging out the wazoo for SS sport models, because there is a huge price gap to fill between those SS and PM models.
DmXmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 04:45 PM   #14
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Buy your first Rolex from a Trusted-reseller on the Forum. Personally, I’m partial to DavidSW, but have also worked with others as well. The Rolex AD experience is nice, but definitely not worth the more expensive, near MSRP price.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 05:33 PM   #15
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I bought my first, a 16610, through DavidSW. Not a single regret
Old 8 December 2017, 05:42 PM   #16
harryrichthomas
Banned

Watch: GMT II DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
Awful advice - A hublot is not a Rolex and so you shouldn’t compare the two at all? Hublot hold their value terribly whilst Rolex hold their value extremely well.

It depends which models you are looking at? Any SS sports model from Rolex hold their value extremely well and so buying from an AD is often the same price, if not cheaper, than buying online. I purchased my DJ 41 from an AD at the airport and my SS GMT Master II from an AD also. If I were to sell both tomorrow, I’d probably come out even. Don’t risk buying from private sellers if it’s your first - go to an AD and get the whole Rolex experience IMO.
harryrichthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 05:58 PM   #17
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Depends on the model and your budget.
From some references pre owned prices are close to BNIB prices from trusted sellers. Why go pre owned if you can have new for only 10% more ?
I need a much bigger price difference to even consider pre owned let alone buying from a private person.
The latter is something I personally would not do. Not even for 50% discount. Many examples of people getting burned.
Don't get greedy, too good to be true is exactly that ...

In the current market if you want a SS sports model (Sub, GMT, Sea dweller) buy new from an AD. If you like a less main stream model i.e. two tone or precious metal go with grey.

Happy hunting,
Old 8 December 2017, 08:32 PM   #18
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I elected to buy my first Rolex from an AD. Wanted to see what the experience was like, have all the documentation in my name, plus was able to receive a reasonable discount.

Also bought from a trusted seller (DavidSW) here on TRF, and the experience was just as good as with the AD.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 08:42 PM   #19
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I bought my first from an AD. The internet wasn't around at the time.
Old 8 December 2017, 08:54 PM   #20
Topstar
"TRF" Member

Get it in a AD as your first watch, no sweeter feeling than being the first owner and popping that champagne at the AD :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 09:07 PM   #21
ericg
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubC/SMP 300
Quote:
That's horrible...Although I am still confidence in more established dealers like David and Tony, I agree that spotting scammers does require more experience.
I’ve stuck with David and Tony on my rolex purchases and it’s always been great
for me
ericg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 09:29 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
If all you want is a "deal" then buy wherever you get the best "deal".

If you want to look at watches and try on various models and metals then visit an Authorized Dealer or several.

Good luck!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 10:16 PM   #23
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
Buy your first Rolex from a Trusted-reseller on the Forum. Personally, I’m partial to DavidSW, but have also worked with others as well. The Rolex AD experience is nice, but definitely not worth the more expensive, near MSRP price.

I think you can make arguments either way. It’s nice to have a local relationship w an AD, can get priority on wait lists (not just for Rolex but for other brands AD sells), may get you deeper discounts in future on Rolex and non-Rolex etc. With that said, if there is a huge diff in price w TS being much lower, or if it’s a hard-to-find Rolex that your AD can’t get in a timely fashion, or you just dislike your local AD sales people then by all means go with a TS. My last two watches were bought from DavidSW who couldn’t make it easier and with him, no worries at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 11:14 PM   #24
Case61
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've bought several watches--both Rolexes and Omegas, NIB and slightly pre-owned--through DavidSW. All seamless and reasonable deals.
Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 12:13 AM   #25
Cryten
"TRF" Member

This whole thread might be moot anyway. It all depends on which watch you want.

If you want a DJ, any AD will be happy to help you. If it's a stainless sports model you have your heart set on, then Rolex insist you only purchase from the secondary or grey markets.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 01:18 AM   #26
wiggindude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Bought my first Rolex on Chrono24, the second from Crown & Caliber.
wiggindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 09:18 AM   #27
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
My first Rolex was purchased preowned. Great deal, still own, and it made it no less special
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 10:17 AM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
My first Rolex was a DJ. And those are easy to find at ADs too, so win win.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 10:59 AM   #29
T4ME
"TRF" Member

AD all the way for your first watch. Especially if you want to keep the watch forever.
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 11:32 AM   #30
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

If new get the ad experience. After that find cheapest easiest method.
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote