The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 January 2021, 03:25 PM   #61
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Up everyday at 5:00 to workout. Drink or no drink. But when off days, I can lag.

Lately, my workouts are way more intense. I’m loving it.
I give you credit. I just can’t lift heavy that early in the AM. I up at 5am and start work at 530 to 6am but no matter what the energy just isn’t there for a max workout. It’s been like that for the last 20 years of sports and powerlifting. I prefer the 1pm-3pm workout time as my most optimal time.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:02 PM   #62
Tommyk
"TRF" Member

I did the same thing 3 years ago. Jan 1 2017 quit drinking and said i wouldn't till i lost my 25lbs i gained sitting behind a desk and not working out. One year later, i lost the weight but didnt have the urge to drink. I LOVE the taste and smell of scotch and wine but after the hiatus its been over 3 years now and can say ive had 3 bottles of wine, 2 glasses of scotch and 4 beers in that time period. However, now im addicted to ice cream again
Tommyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:51 PM   #63
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

I hadn't heard of this until I saw an advertisement recently on television. (I don't watch TV much).
I don't know of the true scope, but in adds i'm seeing locally, it seems you can have a 'Dry February'. At least that's what I see here in Canada. It is concurrent with the Canadian Cancer society.
Given that, I'll make an effort to contribute. Finacially. It's a great cause....

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 10:43 PM   #64
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I have been pretty good at controlling my urges over the years. I rarely ever drink at home as my wife can not drink due to her removal of a tumor on her pancreas back in 2011, so basically if I drink, its on my own, a blessing sort of but....no fun. But, my problem perse is that when I do get together with my friends or a social events which I used to do quite a bit before all of this, I would drink and keep up with the best of them. My doctor would label it as "binge drink" many years ago.....this is how I have been and still at 50yrs old is how I like to roll!! Anyway, good for you Seth, for the last few years that I have "virtually" known you, this is a good and great cleanse from the drinking and I know during this time you also crank it up a notch on the workouts/diet!! Keep it up my friend and one day, and this is a guarantee, we will meet and you will join me for a binge drinking event and get $hitfaced together!!!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 11:12 PM   #65
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
For me it was an ugly, ugly time in my life... I was drinking daily. And a lot.

Marriage disintegrated, spent the night in the drunk tank, woke up that morning - and that's when I knew.

Haven't had the urge to have a cold one since.

For purposes of this thread, having a dry month seems - to me - like a novelty or some lil game we play to check ourselves. Not that I find it silly or not worthy, but it seems like a somewhat loose mental barometer to see if we really want to quit drinking- to see if we even like that or not.

Like a meat eater who's gonna try becoming vegetarian...for a month...and dives right back into BBQ brisket after 31 days.

Again - for me - it was just a binary decision.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 02:01 AM   #66
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Booze is a strange creature.

For some of us it has no hold over us whatsoever, and we laugh and joke about it, and can drink, or not, whenever we want.

For others is can be a real bugaboo and life destroyer.

Through the years there has always been comedy about the charming drunk, the Dean Martins, Foster Brooks, the Rat Pack and we all laugh along, but seeing the damage that addiction can do, it's not really all that funny.

So I apologize for making light of the issue, and do realize it's a fact of life that some people can so easily have alcohol get out of control in their lives.

A lot of stuff we joke about is because it has had no negative affect in our life, and until it does, we really don't "get it".
Old 17 January 2021, 02:03 AM   #67
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Actually I prefer my Martini's 'extra dry' ............
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 02:09 AM   #68
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Midway point today.

I feel friggin fantastic. And crushed my workout this am.

Down 5lbs and I just can’t get over how well I sleep.

So many benefits that I didn’t even realize. From digestion, to how my skin looks. I even use my asthma inhaler less.

The challenge is I really do enjoy drinking. I’m not a social drinker, I’m just a drinker drinker. Vodka on the rocks. Whiskey neat. Screwdrivers on Saturday (started sober Sunday a while ago) morning after a workout. Never something I need per say. I just enjoy it. And rarely in excess. But a few a day. More on weekends. Lately I’ve had a few days off per week.

But the full two weeks off is eye opening. My wife told me I look less puffy...

For certain I’ll be enjoying some beverages when the month is over. But also certainly I’ll be changing habits significantly.

The big challenge will be work entertaining. Even now, I’m out at least once a week. Once things open back up for real, I’ll be out at least 3 days a week. I suppose I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But dang, feeling good folks.

Enjoy the day all.

This was me. You’ll find out soon enough that you won’t need a drink to close a deal.

You’re on your way now, wait ‘til you see how good you’ll feel after 90 days, then a year.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 January 2021, 03:35 AM   #69
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
This was me. You’ll find out soon enough that you won’t need a drink to close a deal.

You’re on your way now, wait ‘til you see how good you’ll feel after 90 days, then a year.

Best of luck.

Exactly. Why do people seemingly put alcohol in the middle
everything? Business, home, entertainment, family, etc.

Seems like a lack of character...
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 06:14 AM   #70
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
To those of you disregarding this month of sobriety as a waste of time, and (IMHO) disrespecting my friend Seth’s effort, did you ever think that just maybe, if a person discovers they can go for one month without drinking, this may lead to the realization they CAN go through life without drinking? That it may be the building block on which start a life time of sobriety? Maybe, just maybe? I don’t know if Seth will ever take a drink again or if this will help him cut down his drinking or if it will have no effect after the month of January. I think it is more important to focus on the effort and goals this man has of leading a healthier life. Whether it’s for a day, a week, a month, or 50 years, if he makes a decision not to drink alcohol to enhance his life then I support him; and personally take offense to those of you that say it this is an insignificant and worthless effort.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 06:22 AM   #71
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
To those of you disregarding this month of sobriety as a waste of time, and (IMHO) disrespecting my friend Seth’s effort, did you ever think that just maybe, if a person discovers they can go for one month without drinking, this may lead to the realization they CAN go through life without drinking? That it may be the building block on which start a life time of sobriety? Maybe, just maybe? I don’t know if Seth will ever take a drink again or if this will help him cut down his drinking or if it will have no effect after the month of January. I think it is more important to focus on the effort and goals this man has of leading a healthier life. Whether it’s for a day, a week, a month, or 50 years, if he makes a decision not to drink alcohol to enhance his life then I support him; and personally take offense to those of you that say it this is an insignificant and worthless effort.
Agreed

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 06:36 AM   #72
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:

Agree x2.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 06:40 AM   #73
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i've never heard of it but since 12/1/2020 haven't had a drop of alcohol. used my free time to do a lot of productive stuff as a result.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:15 AM   #74
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough but the OP did say in his first post "I can't wait until 1st Feb", meaning he can't wait to start supping booze again in 2 weeks.
From what he's said himself, I didn't think he was trying to make a life change here (and why should he?).
Could be wrong of course - words are ambiguous by nature. I respect everyone's decisions even if I don't understand them.
(maybe that emoji is not appropriate....)
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:22 AM   #75
The Joker
"TRF" Member

January is the worst month anyway so don't need to make it any more worst.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 11:41 AM   #76
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
9,580 days, One Day at a Time.
Old 17 January 2021, 01:35 PM   #77
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Fair enough but the OP did say in his first post "I can't wait until 1st Feb", meaning he can't wait to start supping booze again in 2 weeks.
From what he's said himself, I didn't think he was trying to make a life change here (and why should he?).
Could be wrong of course - words are ambiguous by nature. I respect everyone's decisions even if I don't understand them.
(maybe that emoji is not appropriate....)
Yup. Only seems like the OP is taking a brief hiatus from his problem.
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 02:20 PM   #78
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Keep it up, Seth! You can certainly do this and it'll make such a difference. You've done a great job thus far, don't let anything at all phase you.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:20 PM   #79
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
I agree Paul. Not to mention what someone says two weeks in isn’t necessarily what they will be saying after 3 weeks or the whole month. What one person says isn’t necessarily reflective of what everyone trying it will do. I think the point of these month trial periods is to reflect on where it exactly falls in your life. Going forward it helps make decisions. Why do I want this drink right now? Can I substitute it with something else? How will I feel about this drink at 5 am tomorrow. If I drink this now will I drink another and another and skip my 5 am workout? And so on.

If I drink it might be as much as once or twice in a year but most years I don’t drink at all. I never have been a drinker probably never will. This month would be meaningless for me. For others who fall on the alcohol misuse spectrum and have made the decision to stop then I’m sure everyday is a challenge and they don’t have the luxury of starting again at the end of the month. But for the average person who enjoys a drink but doesn’t have a problem who wants to take stock in their health or reduce one activity to increase another I think it can be a valuable tool.

In these challenges alcohol can be exchanged for anything. A few years back I decided I was spending too much time on the internet, especially my cellphone, instead of being present in the real world. Now I spent very little time on my phone compared to some but I thought too much for me. I cut out all non work related computer use. It felt great and to this day I use it less than before. The plan was never to stop using it entirely. Just to change the amount. First I had to realize I didn’t need it, then I found the healthy amount. I followed it with TV and realized I could significantly reduce that as well but I’m never going to quit watching it completely: that was never the point.

You can flip it as well. Last March I said for the next two months I’m going to workout everyday as I had slipped to 2-3 times a week. At the end of those two months, after working out 7 days a week, I made myself take a day off and now I’m still 6-7 days a week but the goals was never to workout 7 days a week every week for ever.

Good luck Seth and whatever you decide on February 1, I still think it will have been a worthwhile exercise.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 11:24 PM   #80
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Ha. Thanks brother Paul. I appreciate you. This whole thread is funny.

Folks, Dry January is a big thing. A very big thing and there are likely many millions of people abstaining this month. Similar to a food fast or cutting carbs, or anything else, it’s a simple way of giving the system a rest and cleaning it out. A lot of people over indulge during the holiday months. Myself included. This is a way of balancing the scales.

This thread is a perfect example of the internet though. Tons of different perspectives. And I appreciate all of them for what they are. Which is for the most part worthless.

Don’t get me wrong, support and encouragement from friends is always nice. You guys are awesome. Thank you.

But this isn’t cutting a month out because I think I have a problem. It’s just a nice way to take a break and start the new year.

Then you have the ignorant judgemental folks (granted a minority in this thread) that create their own stories based on their own experience with zero knowledge or understanding of the situation. It’s typically those high and mighty people that I feel bad for in life. They are so busy looking down on people that they tend to miss out on the great party of life. Not even worth getting deeper into it, because until they are ready, if they ever are, they will never understand.

My favorite comment was about the character. Which so clearly reflects on their own. Or lack their of.

Truth is, through this month, I have a lot of different feelings. I’m embracing them all.

It’s easy for me to not drink. Went out with a group of friends last night, and it was a non issue while taking to the guy across from me drinking my favorite spirits. The two business dinners this month we’re actually better than typical. Both with buddies that I normally drink with when out. None of us drank those nights.

I like to drink. It’s fun. I enjoy the ritual of it. I absolutely love the social aspect of a bar. It’s normally one of my favorite places to be. Albeit, not lately given COVID.

But as I get deeper into the month, I’m starting to like drinking less. I’m starting to miss it less. I may just extend this indefinitely. I may not. Depends on the moment or moments. I might just pick and choose my moments based on circumstance, which is the most likely outcome.

Though, at 46, and always a fitness enthusiast, I’m starting to see the progress I’m making without it. I’m liking what I’m seeing.

I’ve also started to enter a new level in my professional pursuits. I can only imagine the better sleep, more energy, and extra time will help in this regard too.

So we shall see. Time will tell. For now, I’m greatly enjoying this moment in time.

My friends, please let me emphasize, I truly appreciate you and your support. On everything. This is a great community filled with great people. And it’s nice reading your comments. Thank you.

Time to crush a workout.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 03:33 AM   #81
Peter Toronto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Booze is a strange creature.

For some of us it has no hold over us whatsoever, and we laugh and joke about it, and can drink, or not, whenever we want.

For others is can be a real bugaboo and life destroyer.

Through the years there has always been comedy about the charming drunk, the Dean Martins, Foster Brooks, the Rat Pack and we all laugh along, but seeing the damage that addiction can do, it's not really all that funny.

So I apologize for making light of the issue, and do realize it's a fact of life that some people can so easily have alcohol get out of control in their lives.

A lot of stuff we joke about is because it has had no negative affect in our life, and until it does, we really don't "get it".

That’s a really classy and open minded response. This forum is great.

Peter Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:39 PM   #82
coloradojs
"TRF" Member

Dry January

Doing dry January with plans to extend to February and up until St Paddy’s day which is my bday. I will not pass up a perfect Guinness for ANY reason!

Have a 5 month old so for the first part of COVID I was drinking a decent amt out of boredom, then when he came along I was drinking to go to sleep and for stress, then the holidays hit... oof feels like there is always a reason to drink and never an excuse NOT to.

Haven’t missed it a single day since that which is a first for me. Haven’t even really thought about it much, even when others are drinking around me. I find that flavored sparkling waters like Topo Chico, Waterloo, La Croix etc are my savior during these dry months. I also find that I automatically make better food choices when not drinking as well.

I grew up in a small town in wayyy NW Minnesota where all you can do is drink and heavy drinking is engrained in the culture , so I’ve found that resetting every once in a while is good for me. It really helps realign my relationship with alcohol and frame why it is I drink. If you ever want a really wonderful documentary on the topic of drinking on YouTube watch a UK special called “Drinkers Like Me” : https://youtu.be/RX2opvj7WE8.

When I get back into having drinks i’m going to stick to nice wines, tequilas, and the occasional Tito’s. As much as I love beer it is my kryptonite so I need to avoid it from a carb /quantity standpoint. Seems crazy but I find that I temper my alcohol consumption more when drinking something like a $75-150 bottle of wine or Don Julio 1942 , etc . Makes you second guess having that extra drink or opening that 2nd bottle of wine!

coloradojs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:14 PM   #83
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradojs View Post
Doing dry January with plans to extend to February and up until St Paddy’s day which is my bday. I will not pass up a perfect Guinness for ANY reason!

Have a 5 month old so for the first part of COVID I was drinking a decent amt out of boredom, then when he came along I was drinking to go to sleep and for stress, then the holidays hit... oof feels like there is always a reason to drink and never an excuse NOT to.

Haven’t missed it a single day since that which is a first for me. Haven’t even really thought about it much, even when others are drinking around me. I find that flavored sparkling waters like Topo Chico, Waterloo, La Croix etc are my savior during these dry months. I also find that I automatically make better food choices when not drinking as well.

I grew up in a small town in wayyy NW Minnesota where all you can do is drink and heavy drinking is engrained in the culture , so I’ve found that resetting every once in a while is good for me. It really helps realign my relationship with alcohol and frame why it is I drink. If you ever want a really wonderful documentary on the topic of drinking on YouTube watch a UK special called “Drinkers Like Me” : https://youtu.be/RX2opvj7WE8.

When I get back into having drinks i’m going to stick to nice wines, tequilas, and the occasional Tito’s. As much as I love beer it is my kryptonite so I need to avoid it from a carb /quantity standpoint. Seems crazy but I find that I temper my alcohol consumption more when drinking something like a $75-150 bottle of wine or Don Julio 1942 , etc . Makes you second guess having that extra drink or opening that 2nd bottle of wine!

Good for you! Congrats on your accomplishments and best of luck going forward.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:16 PM   #84
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
12 More Days Seth! Hang in there Brother! Cheers!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 08:20 PM   #85
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

It’s easy for me to not drink. Went out with a group of friends last night, and it was a non issue while taking to the guy across from me drinking my favorite spirits. The two business dinners this month we’re actually better than typical. Both with buddies that I normally drink with when out. None of us drank those nights.

I like to drink. It’s fun. I enjoy the ritual of it. I absolutely love the social aspect of a bar. It’s normally one of my favorite places to be. Albeit, not lately given COVID.

But as I get deeper into the month, I’m starting to like drinking less. I’m starting to miss it less. I may just extend this indefinitely. I may not. Depends on the moment or moments. I might just pick and choose my moments based on circumstance, which is the most likely outcome.
I'm here as well. Before covid, we went out for a meal twice, sometimes 3 times a week, I liked the experience and would not eat a meal without a bottle of wine. I too have been sleeping a lot better and waking more refreshed than groggy. If I am honest, I think I have "gone off" it, I had a bottle of wine the other day, it didnt seem the same and I threw a glass left in the bottle out. I think I maybe have had about 2 bottles in 3 months.

Well done Seth.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:54 AM   #86
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I am not participating in dry January, but the wife and I normally only drink on the weekends.

For me, drinking is not about getting drunk. It is fun to catch a buzz from time to time, but I am all about the taste.

I have tasted few things in this life that taste better than a glass of wine and the experience of tasting wine is nearly indescribable - Hundreds of little flavors dancing off our palate. Recognizing the easy flavors, catching hints of a flavor you almost recognize. The little nuanced flavors are literally on the "tip of your tongue" but you just can't put your finger on it.

Food. Let us not forget about food! A good wine paring makes everything taste better.
Old 27 January 2021, 01:10 PM   #87
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Yep, and feeling much better as a result. But I’m miserable!! Friday nights are bad enough in lockdown (has always been boys night down the pub for me, where i get to chat cars, watches, and football), but not even being able to enjoy wine with the wife is unbearable!

We drink wine most nights hence the need to do dry January, but i don’t really miss it in the week, but i can’t wait for the first weekend in February!

What’s strange is the mental connection with drinking. My wife and i were discussing it last Saturday. We were a bit low because we were dry, and at about 9pm we nearly caved! And the thing is, that our mood would have improved the instant we opened the first beer or has a wine in hand. The alcohol doesn’t change things, but our mental connection to it does. It’s been a long day so not sure I’ve articulated this very well, but i wonder if others experience the same thing?

Is a bit like when I’m driving home and need to pee. I can hold it easily until i pull onto my driveway, at which point my brain has informed my bladder that release is imminent so begin the process!! With beer, when i open the first bottle, my brain sends a message to itself to say, relax now, tonight is going to be good!

I do dry January every year though as it is good for me. But it also reminds me of how much i admire my step father who is a dry alcoholic and has been bitter for over 30 years, as an adult i appreciates so much more about his sacrifice than i did as a child

I know exactly what you are saying. My wife and I have been trying to find replacements. I have been drinking a lot of sparkling water and orange juice. Not a mimosa but it’s something.

The sleep is definitely improved.

Old 27 January 2021, 01:24 PM   #88
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Icon6 Dry January

Quote:
Anyone else doing it?

I’m feeling super. Wonder if anyone else is having a similar experience.

Granted, can’t wait for the 1st of February. But for sure this is eye opening. I can’t believe how well I’m sleeping.
Checking in on you Seth... Are you still Dry? Are you going to make it until Sunday the 31st at Midnight to have a drink?

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:33 PM   #89
AR5150
Banned

Never heard or took part in this. No alcohol for months as I wanted to abstain until last week. Was a very welcomed break all things considered. I get the allure to getting off the sauce for a bit...made me appreciate the quiet nights at the house.
AR5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 11:40 PM   #90
Barathrum
Banned

I decided to make this challenge for myself in 2022, and now it's May.
Barathrum is offline   Reply With Quote