The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 February 2019, 10:26 PM   #1
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15500ST Grey
15400 white dial at retail

I am being offered a BNIB 15400 white dial at retail and with the tax waived. It’s a dealership that had AP for 35 years but was pulled last year. I own an omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich and a gshock all steel. I was in the market for a Rolex root beer - I want to skip Rolex and go for the AP but I am unable to get myself to do it. It scares me. The price. How fragile it is. I am new to the watch hobby. My mind says go get a Rolex, my heart says go burn your money on the AP. Need help with my first world problems. I am 25.
MavaTalluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:32 PM   #2
mineral
"TRF" Member

Go for it my friend and you won’t regret.

It is beautiful watch and the bracelet is piece of art and extremely well made. It was discontinued and grab it whenever you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 February 2019, 10:43 PM   #3
Chaokhun
"TRF" Member

15400 is not fragile, but scratches will be more visible than rolex. MSRP without tax is good price for discontinued model and dial. 15500 is more expensive and no white dial at the moment. You will not regret buying it but it is just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chaokhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Took this picture today, soon four years since I bought it.
Old 16 February 2019, 11:04 PM   #5
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
may i ask tomas the size of your wrist? the dial looks fantastic.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:13 PM   #6
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15500ST Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Hi, how is it working for you ?- are the scratches too much that they bother you and what are yourthoughts on when you will service the piece ? How does it hold up to those sudden nicks or bangs that no one can stop from happening, do people notice it too much ? ( id prefer if everyone thinks it’s a Chinese stop sign or something)
MavaTalluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:18 PM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I love mine.

I was nervous about durability as well. My fears were unfounded.

It is not the tank that Rolex is, bit as long as you don’t plan any lumberjacking with it on, it’ll withstand anything you can.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:19 PM   #8
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Look perfect on you. The dial really pop under the light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2019, 12:09 AM   #9
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavaTalluru View Post
Hi, how is it working for you ?- are the scratches too much that they bother you and what are yourthoughts on when you will service the piece ? How does it hold up to those sudden nicks or bangs that no one can stop from happening, do people notice it too much ? ( id prefer if everyone thinks it’s a Chinese stop sign or something)
I have been fortunate not to get any major scuffs. Biggest one I got is from a elevator door closing on my arm while pushing a man in a wheelchair and to be honest it can only be found if inspecting the watch up close. I traveled the world and dallying it in periods and it have held up well. I actually find that my Rolex pieces shows signs of wear more than my 15400 (with the exception of the bezel).
I will not have it polished when I send it in for service (which probably will be later this year)
Old 17 February 2019, 12:10 AM   #10
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
Look perfect on you. The dial really pop under the light.

Thank you
Old 17 February 2019, 12:17 AM   #11
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Unless you beat up on your watches, I'd say 15400 over the Root Beer.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 12:59 AM   #12
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I’ve had mine nearly 5 years. It’s not a fragile watch and it’s no more a scratch magnet than the PCLs on my BLNR.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:22 AM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I'd go for it over the chnr.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:29 AM   #14
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Gorgeous, just a bit too big on wrist. The 39mm might looks nicer.

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:35 AM   #15
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Glad the watch is the only thing which got a minor scuff!

Quote:
I have been fortunate not to get any major scuffs. Biggest one I got is from a elevator door closing on my arm while pushing a man in a wheelchair and to be honest it can only be found if inspecting the watch up close. I traveled the world and dallying it in periods and it have held up well. I actually find that my Rolex pieces shows signs of wear more than my 15400 (with the exception of the bezel).
I will not have it polished when I send it in for service (which probably will be later this year)
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 08:30 PM   #16
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavaTalluru View Post
I’m curious what “if everyone thinks it’s a Chinese stop sign or something” even mean?

As for the scratches, it’s unnoticeable on the bracelet areas, I would say the finish of the AP covers the scratches quite well. Those who haven’t owned an AP always have the common perception of its fragile and scratch magnet...

It’s a scratch magnet or fragile (like many watches) if you perform rigorous activities and have a tendency of banging you wrist against something. Being even a little wrist conscience will avoid a lot of these issues.

If you treat it like a luxury watch or fine tuned sports car, it’s will perform and look the way it should. If you treat it like a G-Shock or off-roading car, well you might get exactly that rugged look. The condition of the watch is solely dependent on how you decide to wear it in your daily life.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:17 PM   #17
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
A sports Rolex vs AP RO? Is there even a contest? I'd grab that AP with my eyes closed as it will elevate your guys not one, but two levels over the "Rootbeer", Batman or whatever other silly names people give to those popular Rolex models. I've the Batman (guity as charged) and two APs (the Jumbo and Diver) and even the Diver (cheapest in AP range AFAIK) gives the GMT a looong run for the money - they are just in such different leagues. The price point is also different, and it took me a while to justify paying the MRRP for the Jumbo at the time but once you have it (and if you can easily afford it), it all goes away...my advice get it and enjoy it, but only if you dont stretch yourself too far...
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:50 PM   #18
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the AP but prefer the Root Beer. I am so comfortable with the Rolex Sport line-up that it would take a lot to move me away for a more expensive sport watch. If you are asking you already have some concerns and they are well founded. You will either be an AP guy or not.

Last edited by 1William; 17 February 2019 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:47 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Go for it, esp as you have other watches so you can protect this one if needs be, plus the white dial will be hard to get in future if the 500 does not come in this dial.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:24 AM   #20
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I own both the CHNR and the 15400. Two completely different watches. I find I wear the 15400 more as a dress watch and for special occasions (like my daughters wedding). The CHNR really pops and I feel it can be worn anywhere. If you can get the AP at list, I say go for it.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:57 AM   #21
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
From an investment standpoint, I’d grab the AP. IF you have issues or don’t like it, you’ll at least break even a few years from now. I wasn’t aware the 15400 was discontinued. My wrists are 6.25 inches so I don’t think I can wear a 15400 personally, but if I could, I’d buy it. An AP out of area AD told me if I can pull off a James Cameron deep blue (I wear it all the time), I likely would need to understand the 15400 wears larger than the deep blue despite having lesser dimensions than the Deep Blue. Being that I can’t try one on , I’m waiting to get one at retail, like you. Thus far , the ADs can’t get them or won’t sell to me. I think you should make the deal because there’s literally no risk. You can easily sell it at cost including tax a year or two from now... but I suspect you’ll wear and keep it. Good luck. I don’t think there’s much risk to buying a brand new AP at retail. Especially if discontinued. I’ve read horror service stories about AP.. but I’ve read of people having no issues for years and years. I don’t think AP would be around if they were so delicate that they break frequently. Go for it and grab it! If not, I’d welcome your AD or anyone else to contact me herein with a similar deal. I’m also looking for a 15300..
Blah114aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:58 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Get that 15400! First AP is very special and too good to pass on.