The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 October 2017, 08:08 AM   #1
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Linksys Velop vs Netgear Orbi

Does anyone have any insight or recommendations on either unit? Looking to replace my Linksys WRT1900 router with a whole-home wifi mesh system.
emersm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 02:18 AM   #2
dtanner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersm View Post
Does anyone have any insight or recommendations on either unit? Looking to replace my Linksys WRT1900 router with a whole-home wifi mesh system.
I'd recommend taking your WRT1900 and using some of its antenna ports to connect to a 2-outlet Coaxifi StraightShot kit (coaxifi dot com). That would let you send the WiFi signal directly into each room where you're having coverage problems, using cable outlets. I use it with an old Asus router (2 antenna ports are split using 2-way splitters to 4 cable outlets, and the other 2 antennas ports are used as-is) and it saved me probably $400.

Meshes are problematic because they're just range extenders, and range extenders cut your throughput by 1/2 or more since they re-use the same frequencies, so the more you add the worse the interference becomes. A $100 midrange router today like the TP-Link C2600 is going to hit around 500 Mbps in throughput, but the Velop only gets around 20-30 Mbps between its extenders. It's terrible. The Orbi is the best mesh system and should hit around 200 Mbps, but that's still less than half what a standalone router can do these days for a lot less money. So if your coaxial cabling allows it, a router + the Coaxifi kit is much cheaper and would deliver at less as much throughput as the Orbi. Plus, the Coaxifi fit automatically rehomes your devices to the antenna with the strongest signal, and Orbi doesn't do that.

The other problem with meshes is that sometimes closing a door or walking between the extenders will 'sever' the WiFi control channel between them, and then you need to reboot them. There's too much sheet metal and concrete in my house as it is for a mesh to work.

You can google SmallNetBuilder's Velop review for a comparison of mesh systems' throughput. You can check the same website for throughput reviews on good standalone routers for under $100. I'd recommend the Netgear R6700, D-Link DIR-880L and TP-Link C2600 since they all do about 1 watt of WiFi output and can hit 500 Mbps throughput at 5 GHz.
dtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:28 PM   #3
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

I have had the Orbi (Orbis?) for a year. Not the most challenging WiFi environment where I am, but i’ve Had no problems.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 02:53 AM   #4
No.15
"TRF" Member

I like Ubiquity stuff the best. It is more professional and has better features for tuning.
Not to expensive either.
https://www.ubnt.com/
No.15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:58 AM   #5
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtanner View Post
I'd recommend taking your WRT1900 and using some of its antenna ports to connect to a 2-outlet Coaxifi StraightShot kit (coaxifi dot com). That would let you send the WiFi signal directly into each room where you're having coverage problems, using cable outlets. I use it with an old Asus router (2 antenna ports are split using 2-way splitters to 4 cable outlets, and the other 2 antennas ports are used as-is) and it saved me probably $400.

Meshes are problematic because they're just range extenders, and range extenders cut your throughput by 1/2 or more since they re-use the same frequencies, so the more you add the worse the interference becomes. A $100 midrange router today like the TP-Link C2600 is going to hit around 500 Mbps in throughput, but the Velop only gets around 20-30 Mbps between its extenders. It's terrible. The Orbi is the best mesh system and should hit around 200 Mbps, but that's still less than half what a standalone router can do these days for a lot less money. So if your coaxial cabling allows it, a router + the Coaxifi kit is much cheaper and would deliver at less as much throughput as the Orbi. Plus, the Coaxifi fit automatically rehomes your devices to the antenna with the strongest signal, and Orbi doesn't do that.

The other problem with meshes is that sometimes closing a door or walking between the extenders will 'sever' the WiFi control channel between them, and then you need to reboot them. There's too much sheet metal and concrete in my house as it is for a mesh to work.

You can google SmallNetBuilder's Velop review for a comparison of mesh systems' throughput. You can check the same website for throughput reviews on good standalone routers for under $100. I'd recommend the Netgear R6700, D-Link DIR-880L and TP-Link C2600 since they all do about 1 watt of WiFi output and can hit 500 Mbps throughput at 5 GHz.
Thanks for the reply, that's a great option! .

Unfortunately, I don't have co-ax wired in all of the rooms.

I took a chance after reading some reviews on Amazon and I went out and bought a Velop on Monday. I must say, it was a pretty easy install and I have impressive coverage and increased speed throughout the whole house.

Thank you, again!
Old 20 October 2017, 08:01 AM   #6
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I have had the Orbi (Orbis?) for a year. Not the most challenging WiFi environment where I am, but i’ve Had no problems.
I almost went with the Orbi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.15 View Post
I like Ubiquity stuff the best. It is more professional and has better features for tuning.
Not to expensive either.
https://www.ubnt.com/
I didn't see this until I after I purchased the Velop, thank you!