The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 January 2019, 04:54 AM   #1
zimen
"TRF" Member

New purchase! (and questions): 5513 Sub from 1974

Hello all, here’s my new purchase. My first vintage piece! I’m a really happy owner of a 1974 Submariner 5513 serial 379...

Here are some pictures below.

And I have a couple of questions for you if someone would help me :)

First of all an opinion on the overall watch and condition. If you think that there are any problems with it. I’m not an expert but I already noticed that the clasp (Or entire bracelet) is from 1984 (marked “i4”). I also believe that the bezel is a later one because the font and markets seem too thin, correct?). Shouldn’t this watch have a “fat font” bezel?

Also, it didn’t come with box or papers.

Do you think that I should source the period correct parts for it, including box? And if so, would you help me know which are the correct parts?

Did this come with a 93150 bracelet or the 9351? And is the correct box the 67.00.3 or the 10.00.1?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Simon
zimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Subspecies
"TRF" Member

Looks a nice honest non serif dial watch that is at the latter end of serial numbers for this example according to Beaumont's excellent website. The insert seems to be a mid font from the 80ies which ties in with the bracelet, likely changed together at service. Not too many around in the UK so a good catch.
Subspecies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 08:29 PM   #3
mag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Zenith,Tudor
Hi Simon,

i think the watch was serviced in the 80ies. You have to re-done some things - but without box and papers i wouldn't do that - it s a nice watch - if you can get sometime a 1974 oyster bracelet - buy it - but the are not "cheap" - and maybe not in this shape like your newer bracelet.

Can you post a picture of the crown - screwed out - so we can see the tube ? Maybe it is also changed at a service.

Greetings from Germany
MaG
mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 09:53 PM   #4
zimen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag View Post
Hi Simon,

i think the watch was serviced in the 80ies. You have to re-done some things - but without box and papers i wouldn't do that - it s a nice watch - if you can get sometime a 1974 oyster bracelet - buy it - but the are not "cheap" - and maybe not in this shape like your newer bracelet.

Can you post a picture of the crown - screwed out - so we can see the tube ? Maybe it is also changed at a service.

Greetings from Germany
MaG
Thank you mag,

Here are the pics, let mew know if they’re ok

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4F78D1D5-3E5D-4F37-9D4B-D9262BE0A045.jpeg (165.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpeg D78EA4AC-D928-42EF-BEFF-81E60BAD930F.jpeg (173.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpeg EE61615A-D4AC-4E3D-B5D3-5E265C9AEFF5.jpeg (123.4 KB, 176 views)
Old 26 January 2019, 10:12 PM   #5
nas130
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the new watch! I’m no expert but it is beautiful to my eye!
nas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 10:38 PM   #6
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Why ask about crown tube? I thought in 1974 all were upgraded to Triplocks anyway.
Yes, watch should have a mk3 fat font insert, expensive about 1200-1800$ but will make a nice cosmetic upgrade.
Should also have a 9315 bracelet but wouldn’t upgrade that since it is difficult to adjust, rattles, and most prefer your style solid 93150.
Box makes no sense without papers, and usually smell anyway.

Very cool 5513, wouldn’t surprise me if the original owner bought it after watching Roger Moore in Live and let die, back in 1973

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 January 2019, 12:20 AM   #7
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Looks very nice, congrats. The hand lume looked a bit sunken in the first pic but may just be the pic.

I’d get someone to do at least (if you’re not servicing it) a replacement set of seals so you know she’s water tight. That pendant tube gasket looks quite old (flat) and has a few holes in its surface.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 03:44 AM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Nice-looking Sub, with some later parts as noted, and a good case that was polished but still fat. I wouldn't bother tracking down accessories. I always feel that unless you have the original Rolex guarantee paper, why bother with everything else?

Your watch could have also come on a Rolex rivet bracelet, which I love for the cool factor, but they are a bit flimsy.

Note that a 3.7 million serial could be a little earlier than '74. Have you had a look at the inside of the case back, with the date stamp? I have a 3.7 million 5512 that has a caseback stamped for '72. My rivet bracelet is stamped '73.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub 5512 Rivet-TRF.jpg (286.3 KB, 125 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 04:00 AM   #9
mag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Zenith,Tudor
> Thank you mag,

> Here are the pics, let mew know if they’re ok

> Thanks :)
> Simon

in my personal opinion, this is not a 1974 style tube and it s also upgraded
maybe in the 80ies. So you have a ~1974 5513 with some features upgraded
to the latest specifications. That s total OK and fine, when you use it as watch
for your daily joy and timekeeping. As mentioned, please let a watchmaker change
the gaskets and keep the original parts at a service & enjoy your 5513 :-)
mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 08:46 AM   #10
zimen
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I’ll follow your advice. For now I’m super happy to have purchased this watch and I’ll enjoy it for years to come.

Best
Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk