The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2015, 09:31 PM   #121
asabet
"TRF" Member

I love my 36mm Datejust and find it to suit my 7.5" wrist perfectly.

I'd urge those considering one to pay attention to your own tastes, not what anyone else thinks, and especially not to those suggesting that it looks like a ladies watch. If anything, it looks a bit vintage.

Some articles and excerpts relevant to this discussion:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/wa...small-one.html

“The more a man is secure about his masculinity and his taste, the more he can play with the traditional codes of masculinity... big watches are normally worn by people who don’t want to create doubt about themselves.”

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/trends...all-watch.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/fa...nt-are-in.html

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/rolex-datejust-review

"First off, the Datejust we have here is the classic 36mm size, not the 41mm Datejust II. While some think 36mm is too small, we certainly do not and believe this watch offers the benefits of a smaller, more vintage-looking size with all the up-sides of modern technology."
asabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 11:13 PM   #122
bogratful
"TRF" Member

Watch: OMEGA MOONWATCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
A 36mm Datejust or Day-Date looks good in pretty much any wrist. It might not be to everyone's taste, but anything thinking it doesn't belong 'on a real man's wrist' got issues bigger than we can solve on an online forum.
bogratful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 05:47 AM   #123
BeardedDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogcitywatch View Post
I know this is not a popular statement but I think the oversized watch craze will be coming to an end soon and these timepieces will join bell bottoms, leisure suits, shoulder pads and cargo pants in fashion heaven.
I tend to agree with this. They are more expensive (because more metal=higher cost) and definitely heavier. I have a 42mm stainless watch I have come to really dislike because it's heavy and huge-looking. My 36mm Datejust really looks great and doesn't take over my whole arm. I want to wear the watch, I don't want it to wear me.
BeardedDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 06:37 AM   #124
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ne...automatic-36mm

IWC is bringing back the 36 automatic pilot. Now I'm going to have to get a dj 36 and the IWC!
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 07:45 AM   #125
Maiden
"TRF" Member

36mm on a 7.25 wrist, fits fine and a classic IMO. Extremely comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg djstripe2.jpg (117.5 KB, 1487 views)
File Type: jpg djblue.jpg (84.7 KB, 1485 views)
Maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 07:53 AM   #126
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
This size is sweet for us with smaller wrists (6.5 in.); oh sure I can wear a 41 mm or larger watch but the 36 mm just looks right; very photogenic as well. Of course mine is an older 16013.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 02:21 PM   #127
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I had a Pam 44mm and I currently have a SubC and a 42mm Explorer 2.
Ask me which watch I like to wear and what I am gonna get next?
My answer will be 36 mm DJ.
Small!? Of course not, unless you are Shaquille O'Neil size.

I am 5.9 foot and weigh 195 pounds. While I wear some bigger watches, 36 mm is the comfiest for me and I know this because I had a 36 mm OP, same as DJ but no date.
Old 21 February 2017, 08:03 AM   #128
scotchnbourbon
"TRF" Member

Team - long time follower; first time poster. Wanted to bring this perennial topic back to the surface - is the DJ 36mm too small?

I want to purchase my first Rolex. I would like a piece that is understated, versatile and timeless. I don't want a piece that screams "Look at me! I'm wearing a Rolex." Initially had my eye on the 116200 DJ (black, smooth bezel, oyster bracelet, stick markers). Love the simplicity, heritage and understated nature of the watch. Went into an AD and was told the watch would be to small for me! He even pointed to a female customer who said she wears a 36mm watch! Was very discouraged and am now completely confused on what to do. So far am planning to only have one watch that can be both dressed up (tux) and down (button up and sweater). BTW I have about 7" wrists. See a pic with me wearing the DJ below. Thoughts? As an alternative, was thinking about the 39" Explorer, but (a) worry about the ability to dress it up and (b) no date function. I also include a picture with the Explorer. Thanks and help! Haha

scotchnbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 10:20 AM   #129
rloke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnbourbon View Post
Team - long time follower; first time poster. Wanted to bring this perennial topic back to the surface - is the DJ 36mm too small?

I want to purchase my first Rolex. I would like a piece that is understated, versatile and timeless. I don't want a piece that screams "Look at me! I'm wearing a Rolex." Initially had my eye on the 116200 DJ (black, smooth bezel, oyster bracelet, stick markers). Love the simplicity, heritage and understated nature of the watch. Went into an AD and was told the watch would be to small for me! He even pointed to a female customer who said she wears a 36mm watch! Was very discouraged and am now completely confused on what to do. So far am planning to only have one watch that can be both dressed up (tux) and down (button up and sweater). BTW I have about 7" wrists. See a pic with me wearing the DJ below. Thoughts? As an alternative, was thinking about the 39" Explorer, but (a) worry about the ability to dress it up and (b) no date function. I also include a picture with the Explorer. Thanks and help! Haha

Do *you* think it is too small for you? I think that is the more appropriate question...personally I think it looks fine on you.

As for the Explorer, I believe it could also be dressed up pretty good as well...personally I would not hesitate to pair it with suits or even tux. But that won't help if you need the date complication...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 12:08 PM   #130
skiboy06
"TRF" Member

I had this worry as well but bought a 36mm DJ. Honestly it looks almost as big as my Sub 40mm and love the size and look of 36mm. It is a classic.
skiboy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 12:40 PM   #131
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboy06 View Post
I had this worry as well but bought a 36mm DJ. Honestly it looks almost as big as my Sub 40mm and love the size and look of 36mm. It is a classic.
Yeah, most of the classic professional models have a dial about the same size as the 36mm DJ, so I find that they read pretty similarly on the arm.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 12:49 PM   #132
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
It's only too small, if you think it's too small.

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 12:54 PM   #133
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF Ryan

The 36mm is the classic Rolex look!
Old 21 February 2017, 02:32 PM   #134
Maiden
"TRF" Member

The 36mm looks great on you. Salesmen wanted to sell you a more expensive watch. You should also try the OP 39mm if you are looking for something bigger. Also I know you dont want your watch to "scream" rolex but get a fluted bezel on the 36 and it shows even bigger. Good luck
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:37 PM   #135
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:

That's a super looking DJ, nothing about says "too small." As a matter of fact, my first 36mm OP garnered more comments than any other Rolex I've owned. Usually something along the lines of, "that's quite a watch."

I also like wearing my one 34mm Rolex as well.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 03:23 PM   #136
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:

You're not the first person to say that. I've also had the salesperson say the same thing to me "36 is for a woman, you should get the 41." I personally think the 36 mm is perfection, both in aesthetics and comfort.

I tried going to the 41 DJ II and while I liked it the proportions were off to me. I am waiting to see what they release next month at Basel (supposedly a stainless steel / white gold fluted bezel DJ 41) before I buy my next DJ. If you have a chance look at the Datejust 41 in person and look at how they fixed the proportions (also the case measures 39.5 mm so it's not really 41 mm)

That being said I think both watches you posted look great on and it really just comes down to a matter of taste. Don't listen to people who say a 36 mm is a "womans watch" that's just silly. 36 mm is a classic and looks great
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 05:22 PM   #137
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Best proportions on the DD hands down!!!
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:56 PM   #138
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
And then there is the OQ.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.8 KB, 1131 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:13 PM   #139
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
welcome to the forum ,,, dont ask if 36mm is big enough for a mans wrist ,,, ask if your man enough for a 36mm
at 6ft , 240 lbs , 8 1/4 wrists , i find a 36mm explorer the perfect daily wear .
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:42 PM   #140
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
No
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2017, 12:16 AM   #141
Spectre007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16030 DJ
Well I have a 6.75" wrist and it looks perfect.
I thought it would be too small but once you feel how heavy it is and wear it for a day you will fall in love.
As far as rosegold it has to match your skin tone. If you are very pale I would go yellow gold.
Also the newer datejust 36mm looks bigger due to wider lugs and aggressive clean lines.
It's the same thing they did when updating submariner (fatter lugs).
Anyway I will leave you with some pics (and no they're not for women)

Spectre007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2017, 02:25 AM   #142
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / SUBCLV

In my opinion the 36mm DJ is perfectly proportioned. I've also compared modern and vintage models in one of my videos and explain the reasons why they wear larger than their size would suggest:

https://youtu.be/y4dGE2EXcCU

Brucie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2017, 03:33 PM   #143
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
Nope. It's perfect unless you have an unusually large wrist.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2017, 03:35 PM   #144
jmrxtr
"TRF" Member

Watch: PamRolexIWC
i love my 36mm. it's understated.
jmrxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 04:33 AM   #145
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I want to add my voice to all that say "Try it on with an open mind." I grew up in the 70s, big watches were the order of the day. In the 80s, Rolex bubblebacks were the statement that you had "made it". Also, two-tone was HUGE in the 1980s. Today, the big watches are back and they are dramatic, very legible, and beautiful. I wear all sizes and I am not crazy: I've been told that the 31mm bubblebacks look a bit small on me, but only by women that are wearing 40mm chronographs who are used to seeing bigger watches on my wrist.
Old 7 March 2017, 05:02 AM   #146
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
You be the judge.

Short answer: No.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 03:48 AM   #147
Daghoi
"TRF" Member

I'll play.

IMG_1756.jpg
Daghoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 04:02 AM   #148
Rol604
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Panerai
My first rolex is the 36mm explorer. I loved it. However I'm not sure I can still like 36mm watches now after I'm used to wearing bigger sizes.
Rol604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 02:21 PM   #149
scotchnbourbon
"TRF" Member

I'm officially part of the DJ club! Thoughts of it on my wrist?http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...pstltjsrma.jpg
scotchnbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 09:07 PM   #150
jdpny
Banned

jdpny is offline   Reply With Quote