The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 July 2017, 12:12 AM   #1
KarlS
Banned

Kari Voutilainen - the end of the first journey

I think some of you have followed the journey on

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ht=Voutilainen

and I have finally collected the watch which has been a 12 month journey. It's not the end of the journey but Stage 1 under the belt. The watch has been extremely difficult to photograph so I decided just to dump hundreds of photographs and let you all draw your own conclusions.

His design aesthetics is not to everyone's taste but once you hold this bit of art it has an undeniable draw. I have met all the people that gave their best to give me the finest watch they could build. A fantastic team...an outcome with which I am delighted and a slippery slide.....

Purely on the quantum I have broken this thread up into chunks so keep checking back to see if I update it...I will tell u in my last post whether there are any more pictures but I think we will probably have about 6 posts so let's go!!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:19 AM   #2
KarlS
Banned

So as we would expect the box in which the watch arrives is made by a Swiss cabinet maker Cederic Vichard. It's obviously bespoke and made of white African ebony and has its own serial number and warranty...strange aeroplane wing shape and beautifully finished.

However a box is a box and it will go join all the other boxes inside my big brown box!!! I would love someone to design a watch box along the lines of Urban Jurgensen or go to Viscount Linley and get him do a watch box that is stackable allowing you to bespoke the interiors to include watch roll, ring roll or cufflinks holder. At least this way the box becomes functional and can be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 July 2017, 12:26 AM   #3
KarlS
Banned

The movement is the base 28 (Vingt 8) with the addition of the Power Reserve. The watch evolved significant from where I first started to where I ended. I really wanted everything in the movement to show what "finishing" is all about. The result is a shiny German silver movement that has been rhodium plated. It makes it very difficult to photograph. The choice of finishes could have been ruthenium (beautiful but clashes with dial), frosting (rose and white like Roger Smith), Geneva stripes, perlage etc. I asked for it all. The movement shows beautifully sharp internal and external angles, precision anglage and of course perlage. The Geneva stripes are 3 dimensional and very light so in some angles don't look like it exists and in others you can see them. Black polish abounds and I haven't bothered to break down each pic as there are more people out there that actually know this stuff better than I do. Brace yourself it's a lot:

Old 23 July 2017, 12:31 AM   #4
KarlS
Banned

There is a double escapement and a large balance wheel which is his signature.

You will see that this no 5 from when I saw No 1 on a CAD a year ago. Mine is the only enamel dial and I will explain that later.

It's manual and has around 50 hours of PR. He does suggest it's wound twice a day any way to keep the tension.

Old 23 July 2017, 12:36 AM   #5
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Congrats Karl! It is absolutely stunning. Such amazing craftsmanship down to the very last detail, even the box.
Halothane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:37 AM   #6
KarlS
Banned

Onto what everyone wants to see that's the dial. Really hard to photograph and must be seen in the metal. It's drop dead gorgeous.

The watch is platinum 39 x 11.5. The case is deep to allow KV to add various complications when needed and also to give perspective to the movement.

The dials are on German silver (lacquer) and enamel on gold. This is the first enamel he did on the PR and thus caused some challenges and some grey hair for me. Many of you were party to the panic. I have taken the pictures at same distance and just turning the watch slightly so you can see the changes

Old 23 July 2017, 12:41 AM   #7
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

That's seriously gorgeous- congrats
Old 23 July 2017, 12:42 AM   #8
KarlS
Banned

Despite the pictures showing the contrary I really like guilloche and felt that as this is what Kari is known for it would be silly not to have it all, I know less is best but then go buy a Jurgensen or Breguet. What is interesting that at arms length you actually don't see the guilloche it's flat. What the guilloche does is allow the colours to change and of course the light reflecting igives it beautiful hues

Old 23 July 2017, 12:44 AM   #9
KarlS
Banned

The dial is actually cut out where the enamel pieces are added later as they are different metals. As you will see there is a silver border and that assists with the two dials being joined from behind of the dials

Old 23 July 2017, 12:47 AM   #10
KarlS
Banned

I did originally want all the numerals and not just 12/3/9 but it became obvious the more numerals you have the guilloche is obliterated.

I met the lady who did my dial and it took 4 days, one line at a time. The patience was remarkable and we can see why he does work for so many brands since buying the dial factory in 2014.

Old 23 July 2017, 12:52 AM   #11
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Congrats Karl to a awesome watch.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:54 AM   #12
KarlS
Banned

The watch is comfortable and has some heft from the platinum. From a period when I saw the pictures Kari had sent me and the horror of what had been produced, seeing it just made me fall in love with it. Of course there are s few tweaks I should have / could have / didn't. That's for the next one.....I like it and to be honest that's all that really matters.

I hope you enjoyed some of the pictures. I know overkill and I don't produce incomings very often but generally when there is a watch that's unusual and which I think people would enjoy seeing even if they don't necessarily like it!!!

To those with bigger wrists. Kari does a 44 mm as well and guess what? He makes a larger movement to fit the case

A total of 38 watches last year and much the same this year. The USA is now becoming his most important market. Collectors are becoming more adventurous and trying independents. In fact he does a number of LE for collectors in USA and these can be covered elsewhere.

Well that's the last of the pics, my fingers are sore and I will do a concluding post tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed "The Longest Incoming"

Old 23 July 2017, 01:05 AM   #13
texex91
"TRF" Member

Love blue dials--enjoy!
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:08 AM   #14
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Thank you for sharing!!! So many pictures, but each shows a different aspect of the watch....I can only imagine how it must feel on your wrist! Huge congrats. You and V produced a stunner in every way.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:20 AM   #15
martinr
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Looks great on you.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:24 AM   #16
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Congrats, hard to critique the finish of this watch.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:25 AM   #17
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Stunning! Congrats Karl!
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:29 AM   #18
Njtster
"TRF" Member

That is a seriously gorgeous watch:)
Njtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:34 AM   #19
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I already congratulated you before but again congrats, it looks stunning, really amazing, about the horror you talked about, let's be fair. Kari does wonderful watches but his photo skills have progress to do, when I saw the pic he sent you I thought it didn't look great at all, as you, but it is amazing, the PR gives it great balance, something mine will lack, but really love the 3D guilloché enamel, in any case huge congrats on a real wearable piece of art, you took more risks than me with the dial and it clearly paid off. Probably one of the most beautiful KV I have seen to date.
Hope mine will please me as much as yours, but one thing is sure, since there is almost 2 months before I can collect, I will not ask for pictures, they made you stress for a few days, I won't hold for 2 months.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:39 AM   #20
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Stunning. Congrats on your lovely new piece.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:42 AM   #21
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Karl that is absolutely stunning, I really look forward to seeing it some time - September store opening maybe? 🤔
I think I'd have to find some way of keeping that box in use as well. 👌
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 01:44 AM   #22
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Karl that is absolutely stunning, I really look forward to seeing it some time - September store opening maybe? ��
I think I'd have to find some way of keeping that box in use as well. ��
I am bringing it...so bring the Loupe...u photograph better than I do....but I think I will be wearing something more appropriate for the evening!!! Lol
Old 23 July 2017, 01:54 AM   #23
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

👍
I look forward to studying it (light ring arrived - eventually!).
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:01 AM   #24
nick c
Banned

Congratulations Karl
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:12 AM   #25
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Thank God you don't listen to friends like Me. This idiot said don't do a PR and surely I was wrong. That dial is jaw dropping. The PR really gives a beautiful balance to the dial and the silver framing of the enamel portions of the dial really stand outs. Wear it in good health my friend and thanks for letting me be part of the process. Living vicariously through you is pretty damn fun.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:14 AM   #26
de66
"TRF" Member

Nice one man!

But blue is so last season, this watch has now probably lost half of its value already!

Ok ok ok twist my arm and I will buy it from you

de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:15 AM   #27
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Nice one man!

But blue is so last season, this watch has now probably lost half of its value already!

Ok ok ok twist my arm and I will buy it from you

It is but you should read the thread header carefully. First stage....the watch isn't finished yet! Lol
Old 23 July 2017, 02:22 AM   #28
wisguy
"TRF" Member

OMG

That is a serious watch!

Can'timagine where you'd go from there, mic as well do a mic drop and call it a day.
Old 23 July 2017, 02:30 AM   #29
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
It is but you should read the thread header carefully. First stage....the watch isn't finished yet! Lol
I did!!
It said the first journey had ended!!
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 02:43 AM   #30
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Karl that came out awesome! I love the color choice down to even the strap which I think compliments it well. Thank you for getting good photos of the movement, I wanted to see the bridge for the balance wheel and you have a great shot there of how it attaches to the plate underneath. I think it's one of his coolest designs!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote