The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 September 2017, 05:26 AM   #1
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Considering Cartier Ballon Bleu for the wife, feedback appreciated

Dear TRF'ers,

Have been thinking about getting a non-Rolex watch for my wife, and came across Cartier Ballon Bleu and really liked it from pictures.

While spending an afternoon in San Francisco a couple of weekends ago, dropped in at the Cartier boutique near Union Sq. and had her try them on. She likes the 42mm version better.

A few of our friends have the ladies Tank model and have seen it on their wrists forever, but I *think* those are the quartz models (I think.)

Would appreciate any feedback on the automatic Ballon Bleu model, and Cartier watches in general. I don't know much about the brand as far as their watches are concerned. Are these watches made in long production runs, like Rolex? (i.e. 20 years from now there will be new Ballon Bleu watches sold at Cartier stores?) Their reliability and waterproof-ness?

I will probably source a new one from a TS here on the forum as they seem to be reasonably priced new. But any idea about depreciation and perhaps better if bought like new in second hand market? (where?)

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 07:31 AM   #2
themast
"TRF" Member

First of all, it is a beautiful watch. My wife has tried it on once and she liked it a lot. A classic design with a bit of sophistication tastly excecuted.
As far as I know it has been in Cartier stable for a long time.

I do not know about the movement.

Cartier has some serious horological skills and although their are not instantly recognized as a watch company they have a solid history and reputation in the field.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 08:45 AM   #3
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
First of all, it is a beautiful watch. My wife has tried it on once and she liked it a lot. A classic design with a bit of sophistication tastly excecuted.
As far as I know it has been in Cartier stable for a long time.

I do not know about the movement.

Cartier has some serious horological skills and although their are not instantly recognized as a watch company they have a solid history and reputation in the field.
Thank you.

We are pretty familiar and a fan of Cartier brand, especially their bracelets and rings. I think they execute their designs very well and workmanship is second to none in those items.

With the mechanical watches I had heard not so good stories about Cartiers so I never looked into them seriously. I am hoping to hear from those with Cartier experience about their take on this watch before pulling the trigger on it.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 22 September 2017, 09:08 AM   #4
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

I am a Rolex guy. But when my daughter was born I bought a 36mm automatic ballon bleu. I had my daughters initials, D.O.B. & time of birth engraved on the back. My wife wears the watch now. But we plan on giving it to my daughter when she turns 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 09:34 AM   #5
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Cartier has its place in the watch world. As an example, the Cartier Santos is the world's first pilot's wristwatch, designed in 1904 by Louis Cartier for his friend the Brazilian aviator, Alberto Santos-Dumont. Cartier collaborated with movement maker Edmond Jaeger to mass produce the Santos for sale a few years later in 2011. So there's definitely been a long production run with the Santos line. For years, I think they had used ETA-based movements and probably still do for many watches. But Cartier recently delved into movement development and even built a modern high-end manufacture.
Good info in a fratellowatches article about it:
https://www.fratellowatches.com/shut...rtier-watches/
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 10:02 AM   #6
nick c
Banned

I also love Cartier watches, I recommend if you can buy a pre owned, so you don’t lose to much money when buying brand new
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 10:18 AM   #7
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Cartier is so good for women or men.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 12:10 AM   #8
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
Cartier has its place in the watch world. As an example, the Cartier Santos is the world's first pilot's wristwatch, designed in 1904 by Louis Cartier for his friend the Brazilian aviator, Alberto Santos-Dumont. Cartier collaborated with movement maker Edmond Jaeger to mass produce the Santos for sale a few years later in 2011. So there's definitely been a long production run with the Santos line. For years, I think they had used ETA-based movements and probably still do for many watches. But Cartier recently delved into movement development and even built a modern high-end manufacture.
Good info in a fratellowatches article about it:
https://www.fratellowatches.com/shut...rtier-watches/

Thanks for the info. Will check out the link.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 23 September 2017, 12:11 AM   #9
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
I am a Rolex guy. But when my daughter was born I bought a 36mm automatic ballon bleu. I had my daughters initials, D.O.B. & time of birth engraved on the back. My wife wears the watch now. But we plan on giving it to my daughter when she turns 21.

So awesome!!! Love it! Congrats on your new baby addition.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 23 September 2017, 12:13 AM   #10
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
I also love Cartier watches, I recommend if you can buy a pre owned, so you don’t lose to much money when buying brand new

Thank you. I think will be hard to find a giftable quality used one. With this gift might have to absorb the losses and go new any at. Glad to hear Cartier as a watch brand has a good following.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 23 September 2017, 12:13 AM   #11
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Cartier is so good for women or men.

thanks.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 23 September 2017, 01:39 AM   #12
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Thanks for the info. Will check out the link.

Sorry, just saw my typo, the Santos began selling in 1911, not 2011. My wife has a Tank and a Santos, and is a fan of their watches. I think Cartier watch designs do look particularly elegant on ladies.
Old 23 September 2017, 01:51 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like the Cartier brand as well. I purchased two brand new Tank references for my nieces several years back. They love them and wear them to this day

They are classy elegant and the will never go out of style IMO. The Ballon Bleu is also a classic, so you can't go wrong

Nick is right though, buying new expect to lose at least 50% right off the top. In my case I didn't care because the girls will have them forever, so I bought new from the boutique in Toronto
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (144.5 KB, 319 views)
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 05:21 PM   #14
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, just saw my typo, the Santos began selling in 1911, not 2011. My wife has a Tank and a Santos, and is a fan of their watches. I think Cartier watch designs do look particularly elegant on ladies.

Yes they do look good on ladies. I also noticed the 42mm Ballon worn by the father of my daughter's classmate and looked good , rocking a stylish suit and nice shirt and all, so they do look good on men too. I like the larger rectangular ones on leather as a nice modern dress watch.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 23 September 2017, 05:27 PM   #15
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I like the Cartier brand as well. I purchased two brand new Tank references for my nieces several years back. They love them and wear them to this day

They are classy elegant and the will never go out of style IMO. The Ballon Bleu is also a classic, so you can't go wrong

Nick is right though, buying new expect to lose at least 50% right off the top. In my case I didn't care because the girls will have them forever, so I bought new from the boutique in Toronto

Awesome gifts, lucky nieces. I have so many nieces and nephews they if I were to buy them watches, it would have to be Gshocks!

This one for my wife will be permanent, and now that I think of it price is (relatively) reasonable enough to go new.

Thanks for your feedback and beautiful photo. BTW, We will be in Toronto ( which I consider to be my home town ) around Christmas to visit family and friends.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 23 September 2017, 06:45 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Awesome gifts, lucky nieces. I have so many nieces and nephews they if I were to buy them watches, it would have to be Gshocks!

This one for my wife will be permanent, and now that I think of it price is (relatively) reasonable enough to go new.

Thanks for your feedback and beautiful photo. BTW, We will be in Toronto ( which I consider to be my home town ) around Christmas to visit family and friends.

Nice to hear your coming to Toronto again soon. I assume you know about YORKDALE then. All the boutiques are there including: Cartier, Rolex, IWC, Panerai.

Your wife will love it I'm sure! Congrats in advance to her

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:18 PM   #17
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Nice to hear your coming to Toronto again soon. I assume you know about YORKDALE then. All the boutiques are there including: Cartier, Rolex, IWC, Panerai.

Your wife will love it I'm sure! Congrats in advance to her

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

:)

Last time I was in TO ( last year) dropped by at Raffi and enjoyed their selection of Rolexes.

My wife just came back from a short trip a few days ago and was telling me about all the boutiques there. Yorkdale has changed since I used to live in TO. :)

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 29 September 2017, 09:23 AM   #18
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

I never would have guessed, but according to a recent hodinkee article Cartier is Switzerland's third best-selling watch brand in revenue behind Rolex and Omega.
Old 29 September 2017, 11:50 AM   #19
Kaapu
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex,SUF
My wife has been wearing her Ballon Bleu for the last 4 to 5 years basically every day except Sundays. It was serviced couple of years ago, because it was unable to keep time (some +30 sec/24hrs). That took like 2 months. Otherwise she has been happy with it. Its a good looking one, but yes it won't keep its value.
Kaapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 04:26 PM   #20
meganfox17
Banned

Ooopsss....Just saw this thread
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 02:54 AM   #21
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I never would have guessed, but according to a recent hodinkee article Cartier is Switzerland's third best-selling watch brand in revenue behind Rolex and Omega.
Interesting. Well, Cartier is a well known name in luxury goods, so it is not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapu View Post
My wife has been wearing her Ballon Bleu for the last 4 to 5 years basically every day except Sundays. It was serviced couple of years ago, because it was unable to keep time (some +30 sec/24hrs). That took like 2 months. Otherwise she has been happy with it. Its a good looking one, but yes it won't keep its value.
So your experience is service needed in 2-3 years of daily use. Thanks for sharing.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 30 September 2017, 02:55 AM   #22
faz
"TRF" Member

Nice looking lady. Who is she???

So I am assuming this is a 'yes, go for it' reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Ooopsss....Just saw this thread

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 1 October 2017, 12:27 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think Cartier were selling more ladies watches than Rolex a few years ago, but that has changed I think now, esp on celebs where the change to Rolex and PM Daytonas is noticeable. My mother has a Ballon Bleu, excellent watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 12:36 AM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Cartier makes great watches with timeless designs and offers an aesthetic that is a bit more fashion oriented than most of our favorite brands making them easy for the ladies to love.

Great choice
Old 3 October 2019, 02:52 AM   #25
catsmeow
"TRF" Member

I realize this is an old thread, but how have the Cartier automatic watches held up? Do the wearers remove them for showers and sports? Are they significantly less durable than Rolex Datejust?
catsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 03:19 AM   #26
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Some overhang there
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 03:30 AM   #27
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
There is no loss if you don't sell it. Cartier watches have great looks. I have owned two and really liked them (traded for a Rolex way back when). I have nothing bad to say about them. I do wish the watch you are interested in had an exhibition back, but you can't have everything.

Quote:
Thank you. I think will be hard to find a giftable quality used one. With this gift might have to absorb the losses and go new any at. Glad to hear Cartier as a watch brand has a good following.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 11:35 AM   #28
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
[QUOTE=faz;7935136]Interesting. Well, Cartier is a well known name in luxury goods, so it is not surprising.

I bought a Cartier Ronde Louis 12 years ago , mechanical, gold 18k and wear it on some weekends, no service so far and keeps time perfectly. Beautiful watch
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote