The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 September 2017, 08:00 PM   #1
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
What do?

Gents. It's 1st-world problem time, again. I've a reasonable collection of disparate and, tbh, pretty arbitrary watches.

Rolex:

16610 The "base watch" of my collection, bought new in 2001, worn daily for a decade until the sickness struck. It's a "go-to" in many ways, and my default holiday watch. Still a firm favourite, plenty of battle scars. Serviced but never polished. Sentimental value high as I went through a lot wearing this, and still love it.

1680 Red MkV (1971). From a well-known vintage dealer. Super-crispy case, looks like it's never been polished at all, great dial and hands. Service bezel, but otherwise all good. No B&P. I scarcely wear this one, but I think it is worth hanging on to for its future value. Sentimental value very low/nil.

5513 Maxi Mk1 superdome (1978). From a big London dealer. Lightly polished, but otherwise all good. No B&P. I like this one a lot, and wear it pretty often. Great stealth value (for a Rolex). Again, probably worth hanging on to for future value as prices seem to have gone up quite a bit - it's approximately doubled in six years AFAICT. Sentimental value low.

114300 OP 39 blue dial. Picked this up new in February, it's the one I'm always banging on about, and I think it's fantastic considering what you get for not too much money. Great stealth, I wear it often.

Zenith:

El Primero "original 1969". 38mm re-vamp of the classic chrono from Zenith. Like the Daytona, not terribly legible, but a great movement, and an icon. I don't wear it often, but a fun change from the boring old subs with its colourful dial and hands. Sentimental value zero.

Patek Philippe:

5146G slate dial. My first "megabucks" (for me) purchase in 2010. This is the one which non-WIS always choose out of my watch box. It's a really great-looking watch, loads of bells & whistles: Annual Calendar, moonphase, power reserve, and the PP branding. Relatively stealthy as no-one recognises a PP. Worn now and again. I still really like this one, aesthetically. Sentimental value zero. These tank s/h, surprisingly. Sentimental value low/zero.

5712 1A. New in 2011. Steel Nautilus with blue dial, and love-it-or-hate it dial layout. My second-favourite watch, and I wear it often. Reasonably stealthy, and oddly seems to be skyrocketing in value as supply now allegedly limited. Not really one I want to let go of.

JLC:

37mm Master Reserve de March, steel w/ silver dial. Picked up s/h, a really nice and very smart watch. Given that I slob about in jeans/t-shirts most of the time, this hardly ever sees the light of day. Needs a suit, minimum to look OK, and it's the watch I would choose for a black tie event as it looks so goddamn smart. The PPs are far more casual. Sentimental value zero.

FP Journe:

Octa Automatique 40mm Platinum with the white gold dial (2006). The crowning glory. Again, this is a watch you will either love or hate. No prizes. I found this by chance in a shop in Amsterdam last year at half its original cost. FPJ's first auto watch, and the basis for a whole slew of subsequent models. Now discontinued, this is a later example with the rose gold 18K movement. Quintessential Journe with his classic offset regulator time display, big power reserve and double-digit large date. Unmistakable for any other brand at 50 paces, but no-one knows these, so paradoxically enormous stealth as well. By far and away my favourite.

So, what do I do? I've developed an itch for an FPJ QP, and also a Laurent Ferrier Galet micro-rotor. The FPJ speaks for itself, and is probably quite polarising, but is not classic Journe IMO in that it has a conventional (boring) concentric dial layout, a minus in my book. I still want one though.

The LF Galet is an unimpeachably-beautiful time-only small seconds dress watch which could be worn as a daily.

A dealer in London carries both Journe and Galet. Which watches would you sell or offer as a trade-in to obtain these two, and why?

Sorry for the long read, and apologies for any typos. Any and all opinions welcome, brutal honesty preferred, and please don't worry about hurting my feelings!
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 08:44 PM   #2
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Are you short of a few Rolex models James?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 08:51 PM   #3
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The measure for me is what do I wear, what am I attached to based on who/when I received the watch, and the values of each item minus what I am willing to pay in cash. Many times I do not wear a watch and have no attachment to it until it is gone. I trade or sell and then I miss it. You have a nice collection but might be a little large for complete wear through. I would also research the sell/flip prices of the watches you want minus what you can purchase them for. For me it is all fun and that is how I look at it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 09:00 PM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

First off, great collection! The one that really doesn't speak to me is the 5146g. I would go for the Laurent ferrier (I'm strongly considering a galet myself) by flipping the Patek annual calendar. With that said, as already mentioned, it should come down to what you don't wear.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 09:12 PM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

5146, jlc, zenith, one Rolex. Maybe that gets you most of the way there
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 09:50 PM   #6
PJ S
Banned

While you’re in there, do spend a bit of time looking at the Roman Gauthier Prestige and De Bethunes, especially if they have the DB26 PC
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 11:54 PM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
You can sell anything you want my friend, just don't touch the 5712, except if you never wear it, but considering your other watches it's the only one of it's kind, on bracelet but ultra thin, once you get the QP having another FPJ is not necessarily an obligation, if you have the QP, one Rolex, which one is up to you, I had 4 but am not a huge fan, and the 5712, you will have a perfect trio, and if you can keep a few others it will be bonus, I have 5 but if needed would sell the 5711 and would be very happy with my 4. Good luck deciding
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 12:12 AM   #8
Hollister
Banned

Thanks all, and I think the 5146 days are numbered! Arnaud, yes the 5712 is not going anywhere, I wear it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
While you’re in there, do spend a bit of time looking at the Roman Gauthier Prestige and De Bethunes, especially if they have the DB26 PC
Nice watches, but anything over 40mm is no-go on a 6.75 inch wrist.
Old 23 September 2017, 12:22 AM   #9
martinr
"TRF" Member

Keep the 5513 and 1680 along with the Octa. Sell everything else and get the FPJ perpetual. My suggestion based on your wearing the new FPJ perpetual 90% of the time. Then maybe sell the Octa and get the LF after you see how it goes.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 12:29 AM   #10
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Nice watches, but anything over 40mm is no-go on a 6.75 inch wrist.
Give them a go… ya big girl’s blouse!
You might even like the 41mm RG Prestige HMS with it’s novel crown design.

<––– (just in case the obvious wasn’t obvious enough for some)
Old 23 September 2017, 12:37 AM   #11
Hollister
Banned

Ooh, I'll go to the foot of my stairs!

martinr - radical, but I like your logic!
Old 23 September 2017, 12:58 AM   #12
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Ooh, I'll go to the foot of my stairs!
But your kids will ask why you’re sitting on the naughty step.
You’ll then have to explain how you were too frightened to try on a slightly bigger watch, but that’ll burst their perception of daddy being the most fearless person on the planet… hence why he calls mum to get the spider out of the bath!

In all seriousness though, don’t let stated case dimensions put you off from trying anything, it’s the lug length which often has the most bearing on fit vis-a-vis wrist width and shape.
Old 23 September 2017, 01:02 AM   #13
Hollister
Banned

Ho-di-ho.

I have tried an IWC Portugese and a Zenith 42mm something-or-other. Humbling experiences. Oh, and a Deepsea! That was fun as well.
Old 23 September 2017, 01:24 AM   #14
KarlS
Banned

I find LF a bit sterile and seen the collection. I don't think it's nicer or better than a Grossman which they also stock. The special edition WT is still on the shelf after close to 2 years!! Def the FPJ QP 40mm platinum. Instant change, leap year indicator in the correct place and clean and uncluttered. The 5146 and Octa would be redundant and can go along with JLC and Zenith. Keep 1 Rolex. You could have a great trio with Rolex, 5712 and QP
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 01:33 AM   #15
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
I have tried an IWC Portugese and a Zenith 42mm something-or-other. Humbling experiences. Oh, and a Deepsea! That was fun as well.
Yes, but the ones I suggested are 41mm, and the DB26 has lug length options of long and short, due to the new hinged mechanism design – you’ve nothing to lose by simply looking at and trying them on, but everything to gain by adding further options to choose from.

As much as I really like the FPJ, 2nd only to the GO implementation, that De Bethune has struck a bit of a chord – and the Romain Gauthier is interesting too.
Old 23 September 2017, 02:48 AM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Good to know the 5712 is staying, it's the only one of it's kind in your collection, the others you have alternatives
Old 23 September 2017, 11:34 AM   #17
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

A great collection as it is, but we all seem to have an itch to scratch so here goes.

5146 out the door, who needs an AC when you have a PC. Plus, sounds like you don't wear it much. The Zenith and JLC could probably go too based on what you say. None of these three will be hard to replace if you ever have regrets.

While the QP does not have the FPJ 'look' or classic style you mention I'm with Karl in saying go for it. Simple and clear display, and simple and easy adjustments. There does not appear to be a better PC out there.

Good luck.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 04:33 PM   #18
Hollister
Banned

Thanks for the advice, Jay, and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I find LF a bit sterile and seen the collection. I don't think it's nicer or better than a Grossman which they also stock. The special edition WT is still on the shelf after close to 2 years!! Def the FPJ QP 40mm platinum. Instant change, leap year indicator in the correct place and clean and uncluttered. The 5146 and Octa would be redundant and can go along with JLC and Zenith. Keep 1 Rolex. You could have a great trio with Rolex, 5712 and QP
These are the lines along which I am thinking. I don't agree about the LF, I think it's stunning, and I really rather dislike the Moritz Grossmann watches. Having said that, I've not seen any of these in the flesh as yet.

Old 24 September 2017, 04:28 AM   #19
Alford78
"TRF" Member

I agree with most others. Keep the FPJ until know how things wear out throughout the month. Keep one Rolex, 5712, and whatever else works out monetarily. I would also atleast try on the other larger pieces just to see. It can never hurt.

I truly love the FPJ QP and haven't even seen it in the metal. I also love the design/style of the LFs but haven't seen them in the flesh either. Having said that I kind of have a feeling they would be harder to dress down than many other watches. They are just extremely elegant in photos I suppose.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 05:23 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Jay, and all.

These are the lines along which I am thinking. I don't agree about the LF, I think it's stunning, and I really rather dislike the Moritz Grossmann watches. Having said that, I've not seen any of these in the flesh as yet.
I am like Karl about LF, nice, very well made, but I agree kind of sterile or boring, but hey tastes differ, but the QP, 5712 and a Rolex would make a great trio like I said, and anything you can keep well that's bonus
Old 24 September 2017, 10:58 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd keep the Red Sub and 5712 and choose from the others, altho I do prefer your Journe to the one you want to buy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 10:09 PM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Give them a go… ya big girl’s blouse!
You might even like the 41mm RG Prestige HMS with it’s novel crown design.
Oh that RG is really nice, really very nice PJ