The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 September 2017, 09:54 PM   #1
Corey986
"TRF" Member

Problems with JLC crocodile band and allergic reaction

Has anyone had a reaction to their own Jaeger lecoultre croc band?

So I took my brand new Jaeger 39mm master calendar on a business trip this week. This would be the first time wearing it for more than a few minutes.

I noticed my wrist was getting a red bumpy reaction to it. I don't react to my Rolex or patek both are stainless steel bands so no nickel allergy, but this "leather" band I have an issue. Never had a problem with the tourneu alligator band on my only other "leather" banded vintage watch.

Does Jaeger use chromium tanned leather on the inside of the watch band? Don't know if I react to chromium yet, but a google search shows this can be a problem with some watch straps.

I was concidering a bespoke band from Aaron at combat-straps anyway, his are vegetable tanned, but this bugs me that a brand new OEM band on a JLC would not be hypo-allergenic and use vegetable tanning.

One more thing, when I send the watch in for service to JLC, do they care if I don't have an oem crocodile band and have an aftermarket one or will I have to swap it?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Corey
Corey986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 10:07 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

^
To save any aggro, just remove the strap and send the head in on its own.
No idea what process is used, as I think it’s Camille Fournet who make their straps for them – might be worth contacting them to find out.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 04:30 AM   #3
chessebj
Banned

Chromed tan leather gives me a rash. I don’t get a rash with my JLC strap. You may be reacting to the adhesive used.
chessebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 04:30 AM   #4
chessebj
Banned

Chromed tan leather gives me a rash. I don’t get a rash with my JLC strap. You may be reacting to the adhesive used. It’s impossible to make anything truly hypoallergenic. I know people who get a rash from stainless steels. There are people who are allergic to water.
chessebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 04:52 AM   #5
Corey986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessebj View Post
Chromed tan leather gives me a rash. I don’t get a rash with my JLC strap. You may be reacting to the adhesive used.
I spoke with JLC and they do use Chromium. They offer hypo-allergenic ones that special order from a JLC boutique, so I must be more sensitive than you.

I am going to try professional leather cleaner on it first just incase it is something else like the adhesive residue.

I'll keep you all posted...
Cheers,
Corey
Old 24 September 2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Corey986
"TRF" Member

Update:

I cleaned the leather inside of the band with professional leather cleaner (my father-in-law is a shoemaker so he gave me stuff he uses on $1000 shoes), then I used saddle soap and moisturizer. Darkened the leather a bit, which is normal and the ink used to highlight the Jaeger LeCoultre brand on the band has come off, but you can still see the branding but the strap/band is now ultra soft which is awesome...

Made one mistake and also cleaned the crocodile part so it's no longer shiny, but I ordered Reptan from Amazon. Guess I should use that anyway on the outside of the band. I gave my son an old Alligator belt that no longer fits me (Thank's Starbucks for carrying cookies and cakes), so it's most likely a wise investment to get some anyway.

Anyway, I wore the watch for about 4 hours on my right hand since it didn't have the "rash" to aggravate and all seems good. Before I was getting a "stinging" sensation after a few minutes, now nothing.

I'm still planning on getting a vegetable tanned alligator strap in midnight blue from Aaron at combat-straps when he has more material in stock. The JLC original band barely fits, so a bespoke band is better for me anyway.

Cheers,
Corey
Old 25 September 2017, 12:43 AM   #7
PJ S
Banned

^
Saddle soap is too harsh for the leather used on watch straps – the clue’s in the name.
And conditioners won’t penetrate the surface, only water does – so they’re not of any use either.
For future cleaning of straps, get some Renpur or similar cleaner, which is used on automotive interiors, and just be careful to not soak the thread.
Regular usage depending on how much you perspire, etc will extend the life of the strap considerably.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 01:57 AM   #8
Corey986
"TRF" Member

After the saddle soap I used conditioner. The one I used is from leatherique. I didn't mention the name because most people who don't restore cars wouldn't know it. I think it's similar to Renpur.
Old 25 September 2017, 02:38 AM   #9
Too Old
2024 Pledge Member

I'd take it back and ask them to sort it out and make it snappy
Too Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 02:57 AM   #10
Corey986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Old View Post
I'd take it back and ask them to sort it out and make it snappy
I don't think there was anything wrong with the band other than OEM bands are chromium tanned and I had a reaction to some residual glue or the chromium tanned leather. It was a new watch so the band was never worn. The aggressive cleaning did the trick, but my watch does have to go in for a warranty on the dial at some point, there is a spot of residue on it but I wanted to wear this one for a bit for some family get togethers before losing it for a couple of weeks/months.

It was rather frustrating to buy a new watch and have a problem, but for some things I'm an easy going guy as long as warranty takes care of it. If I have to pay out of pocket that's when I get pissed. When I took delivery of my GT3 the carbon fiber shifter was scratched by someone's ring at the dealership. They offered to order me a new shifter or buff it out. I didn't make a stink and had them buff it out. 2 years later they buffed out my own scratch from a ring on the same shifter for free, so not worth being nuts over the little things.

Cheers,
Corey
Old 18 December 2017, 02:33 PM   #11
CrookedOak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Exact same issue on my 39mm Master Ultra Thin Moon...I thought it was just me. Any suggestions on bespoke strap makers?
CrookedOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 05:52 PM   #12
monty68
"TRF" Member

Hi

I got a severe rash with the OEM strap on my memovox. My wrist was red raw and blistered.

I changed it for a bespoke gator strap from Jean Rousseau with a pure rubber lining. A stunning strap which I was able to pick the exact piece of leather as I used their boutique to choose my strap. The rubber made such a difference and made the strap very comfortable and more resistant to sweat and wear.

Grant
monty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 07:05 AM   #13
Corey986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedOak View Post
Exact same issue on my 39mm Master Ultra Thin Moon...I thought it was just me. Any suggestions on bespoke strap makers?
I love my new Aaron bespoke strap in Blue Alligator. I didn't do any sort of rubber inside, Aaron only uses vegetable dyed leather so it's all been fine. Love the watch so much I think my Rolex and Patek are getting jealous. I posted a thread about the new strap. I'm also happy to know I wasn't alone with this allergy problem.

Cheers,
Corey