The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Closed Thread

Old 26 July 2019, 06:08 AM   #1
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Horrible experience with DelRayWatch - buyer beware!

I originally posted this on WUS - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/ho...e-4993189.html - but as a member of this forum as well, wanted to make the users here aware as well.

The basic gist is they sent me a watch that was broken. Were notified immediately. Would not refund but would buy back from me at a $850 discount. I asked if they could find something else for me that way they still make money. While waiting I started a thread asking about the return policy on WUS. Fed got pissed and refunded the money but said he was going to pass my info on to his dealer network. And now John is misrepresenting the events.

The rest of this is details that show that what he just posted is a lie.

I have bought and sold/traded over 100 watches - probably 15-20 just this year alone. Not as a dealer but as someone who likes trying different watches for his own personal collection. Despite all that, everything has gone pretty smoothly until now. I've just had the only dishonest watch experience during my entire WIS history. I was going to let it go but the dealer - DelRayWatch - is now lying on the forum.

I have to set the record straight as well as warn other members. This will be quite lengthy but without details the dealer will spread more lies. All I'm asking is that you go in with an open mind and without any preconceived notions that you have of them from their youtube channel. I can provide screenshots or forward emails to anyone who wants to question any off this. Ask them if they can do the same.

I can live with a bad watch deal but not dishonesty. Below is a quote from John that he made in another thread. I will provide dates and times that show how it is all lies.

"Originally Posted by delraywatch View Post
Hi everyone, John from Delray Watch here. I am quite disappointed to see the thread here considering how much our staff has actually worked to take care of the customer that posted here. First, I'd like to clear up any confusion on the scenario at hand. The customer had purchased a JLC Memovox which we did sell to him on our website. Several days after receiving, we were told the alarm was not functioning properly.

Of course, we agreed here to repair the watch, as we honor a 1 year complete technical warranty on watches. Regardless of whether or not the alarm bell was damaged in shipping, we agreed to cover this with our warranty program which we offer for this very reason to have the customer always protected, even at our expense when damaged in shipping. When our small team received the watch, our watchmaker inspected and told us the repair would be quick. The customer then agreed to have the watch repaired and then sent back as soon as possible when complete.

A short time after repairs began, the customer decided that he no longer wanted the watch, after agreeing to the repair. When Federico spoke with him, he said while he did not want this watch, he would be interested in the new Cartier Santos. After choosing that resolution, Federico spent the entire weekend finding the new preowned Cartier Santos- which took many hours to find it at the proper price point.

After we found the Cartier for him, and purchasing it from another dealer for him with our funds, we were notified of this forum post. Everyone here at Delray Watch was very disappointed and confused because we feel we went above and beyond: offering warranty no questions asked, hunt down a new model watch at steep discount, and spending much time and overall having a pleasant experience with the customer with no real signs of an unsatisfied customer.

Since this, we have given the customer a refund, and we now are stuck with a new Cartier Santos watch that we did not need. We have a very small team here at Delray Watch- these types of allegations do hurt us and now will need to stock a new Cartier Santos, likely suffering us a loss, which does happen in business, though as a small team- I can assure you it is felt.

Now, I can touch on the returns policy. Policies are written legally. This is the nature of online E commerce. In a time where fraud runs rampant online, especially with expensive items, processors and banks require properly worded policies. Without policies, how could anyone that runs a small business sleep at night knowing that they and their family is protected in the event of fraud? We have had people with their entire identity stolen make purchases, which there is little protection to us for.

Please keep in mind: we are not large venture capital-backed like Crown and Caliber, we are not DSW, we are not Real Real, nor are we Govberg, Topper, and the other huge players.

We are Delray Watch, and we offer boutique experience, where you can call us and talk to the same person that makes the Youtube videos and the same person that handles the trades, works with the watchmaker, and takes you as a collector from point A to B. We will tell you what we think about Romain Jerome, we will tell you that perhaps a Zenith would work with your collection a bit more than an iced our Hublot.

Including this, we have always done right by our customers. Every trade that we have ever done, we have handled above and beyond how we would like to be treated and certainly well passed the experience received from the bigger players. (As someone that worked at the top level for one of the companies mentioned above, I can assure you this wholeheartedly).

One scenario we face with having a few very public Youtube channels is becoming a target for individuals that do not agree with the content. When I partnered with Federico I was shocked at some of the negative energy we are faced with including unwarranted hollow death threats and posting of public home addresses on this form. Nonetheless, every day we wake up and continue to strive to more than please those that work with us every day in their horological pursuits because the overwhelming support in the positive covers this which drives us forward.

I urge you to look online, go through reviews, visit Facebook groups, and talk to customers that work with us every day.

If some how, the most scrutinizing of consumers needs more, we welcome calls, chats, emails, comments we would love to chat watches.

Cheers!

John"
Old 26 July 2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

I called DelRay on the morning of July 3rd and spoke to Federico about a JLC Memovox they had for sale - https://delraywatch.com/jaeger-lecou...emovox-reveil/

I asked him questions about the watch including how it was running. He put it on a timegrapher and stated it was minus 3-5 seconds per day. He answered other questions like if it's hacking, quick set date, etc. He was very helpful and courteous through all this.

We agreed to a price and funds were sent that afternoon:

July 3, 2019
Delray Watch Supply, LLC
-negative $3,650.00
Money Sent

The holiday was coming up so we agreed it may be better for them to wait and ship it so it arrived the following week. I sent an email inquiring about the tracking info on Tuesday July 9th:

Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:41 AM
To: INFO@DELRAYWATCH.COM
Subject: Re: JLC Memovox Reveil

Was this shipped out and still on schedule to be delivered tomorrow? I'm not sure if you normally provide a tracking #, but could I have the # if you have it so I know to pick it up from the mail room as soon as it is delivered. Thanks.

Feds reply:

Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:44 AM
To: Farhan xxx
Subject: Re: [info@delraywatch.com] Re: JLC Memovox Reveil

Hi Farhan,

Yes sir, it was shipped and will be delivered tomorrow before 630pm. Unfortunately for security and insurance reasons we do not provide tracking my friend.

Best,

Fed
Old 26 July 2019, 06:11 AM   #3
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

I thought it strange that they couldn't provide a tracking number so I called Fed. He explained it is against Parcel Post policy for the to provide tracking numbers. I thought it strange, but sure. It will be here tomorrow and they are trustworthy since they are a dealer so it should be fine.

I was notified by the front desk at work my watch had arrived Wednesday afternoon at 2:14 pm CST. I went down and picked it up. Opened it up, everything looked great. I set the time and the alarm. The alarm didn't go off. I downloaded a manual for the watch to make sure I was doing it correctly. I called Fed within an hour or receiving the watch and notified him it's not working. He had me try a few things and agreed that something was off. He wanted me to send it back for repair. I inquired about a refund since it's DOA but he said it's clearly stated they do not provide refunds. He wanted me to ship it back to the address it came from. I said 'shouldn't you provide a label for this'? He wanted me to pay $15 for the label. I said that didn't make sense as it's DOA. He agreed and sent me a return label for free.

Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:54 PM
Subject: JLC

Label attached

How to package your watch:

1. Grab two new, sturdy boxes, one smaller that will fit inside the larger. You must double box your watch and use new boxes. This is a requirement to insure your watch.

2. Pack your watch, original watch box and accessories into the smaller box and seal the box.

3. Tape the “INNER BOX LABEL ONLY” label to the outside of the smaller box now containing your watch, watch box and accessories. Do this before you take the box to the UPS Store.

4. Pack the sealed smaller box into the larger box with bubble wrap and seal the larger box.

5. Tape the pre-addressed label to the larger, outermost box. Do not put anything on the box that would indicate that there is a watch or high value item inside.

6. Use clear packing tape to tape the box shut.

7. Keep the UPS Drop off receipt.

Do not drop your package off at a drop box as insurance does not cover unstaffed drop-off facilities.
Old 26 July 2019, 06:11 AM   #4
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

It didn't sit right with me that they wanted me to keep a watch that did not work upon arrival. I called Fed the next morning on Thursday July 11 around 7:30 AM CST and told him it's not right. I'm the type of person who doesn't want something if it's already failed me once. He said their policy is no returns. I told him I would cover all shipping costs so they aren't out anything. He said he had about $600 in seller costs between shipping, credit card fees, paying someone to take the pictures, having someone relist it on his site, etc. I informed him I used Paypal so there are no fees once he refunds and he could reuse the same pictures. He said he could buy it back from me at an aggressive price of $2800. He would normally pay $2100 for this watch but was willing to help me out. Mind you I received this watch from them less than 24 hours earlier for $850 more but he's doing me a favor and thinks this is a 'fair resolution'.

I told him I was even willing to buy a different watch from them if they could find it for me that way they still make money and I'm happy as well. He agreed to this and I emailed him my list:

Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:29 AM
To: Fed - Delray Watch Supply

Fed,

Below are the model #'s of the watches I'd be interested in (in order of preference). The Bond watch is older plus is about half what I paid so would present other challenges. DavidSW has the JLC Master Control Date in stock at the moment so that may be the easiest route if the numbers work out properly. Thanks.

JLC Master Control Date Q1548530 - https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/...e/1548530.html

Cartier Santos WSSA0010 - https://www.cartier.com/en-us/collec...ier-watch.html

JLC Master Chronograph 1538530 - https://www.fratellowatches.com/jaeg...rence-1538530/

Omega 2221 - https://www.jomashop.com/omega-seama...h-2221-80.html
Old 26 July 2019, 06:12 AM   #5
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

I called Fed Friday morning July 12th and notified I had shipped the package out during lunch the previous day so it should be there Monday. He said he had inquired with DavidSW who was unwilling to sell him the JLC at dealer cost but he could get me a good deal on the Cartier Santos. I said great, send me the information when you have it so I can look at the options.

It was still bothering me that they aren't even willing to offer a refund so I started a thread over the weekend asking if I was the only one who may have misread what their return policy stated. Keep in mind I didn't mention the name of the dealer or website and stated it was not my intent to disparage anyone.
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/hel...y-4991549.html

I received an email from Fed this morning stating the watch had arrived:

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 8:39 AM

Hi Farhan,

Got your watch safe and sound.

Best,

Fed

Here's the tracking info for anyone who wants to verify - https://www.ups.com/track?loc=en_US&...T/trackdetails
Old 26 July 2019, 06:13 AM   #6
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

I replied to Fed:

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 11:43 AM

Fed,

Please let me know what the options are.

FYI - I did start a thread on WUS as I thought the return policy as written is a little vague. Apparently so did everyone else as there is no consensus. I didn't mention names as my real interest was in seeing if it's just me that was confused. I'll let you read it for yourself.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/hel...y-4991549.html

I'm really trying to give you guys the benefit of the doubt but maybe I'm just being naive when I think through it logically. If I bought from a private seller/forum member there are no returns. If an item is not functioning properly, you obviously send it back and get your money back. That's just doing what's right.

When dealing with a reseller like DavidSW and HQMilton there are no returns for buyers remorse but if the item is not working they give you 2-3 days to return it. You obviously pay a bit more because they are trusted and you know it won't be a hassle like it would with a private seller. Even smaller resellers like EvanisRushin and ExelonMan offer a return if an item is defective. That's just good business.

You are trying to have it both ways. You want to be a trusted reseller so you can charge higher premiums but you also want to do a no return policy like a private seller. It's the same thing with your return policy. You don't want to accept returns but you also don't want to clearly state it.

You have the watch back - I really do think a refund should be an option because it is not clearly stated and it's the right thing to do. It's what other resellers do and it's what private sellers do. I'm not even sure if I want the refund depending on what you've found with the other watches I was looking at, but it should be an option. Thanks.

So I'm the one who let Fed know about the thread. I asked what my options were and I still don't think it's right they don't offer a refund.

I received a call 10 minutes later from Fed that he was disappointed I had started the thread asking about the return policy. He no longer wanted my business. He said I could go through Paypal to get my money back. They he changed his mind and said he would just refund it and be done with it. But he was going to pass my info on to his dealer network.
Old 26 July 2019, 06:13 AM   #7
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

I was at work so could not talk but did send Fed an email after the phone call.

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 12:24 PM

Fed,

I appreciate the refund. Like I said, I was at work so couldn't really talk.

It wasn't my intention to disparage or harm you in anyway. I'm sorry you see that differently. But like you said we can agree to disagree.

But you saying 'I will be passing your information along to my dealer network' is you intentionally trying to deprecate me. How is it fair that you can say what you want to the dealer network about me but you don't want me to do the same to the buyer side? Once again, you can't have it both ways.

Also, disparaging me to the dealer network doesn't do much because:
A. In the end it's about money. They will sell to whomever has cash to buy.
B. I've already had multiple successful deals with many of the dealers.
C. I need to cut down on buying watches anyways so you would be doing me a favor.

I still don't see how copying your return policy on a forum made you look bad. Unless you are ashamed of that policy or want to hide something. Either way, I would have hoped you would have handled things more professionally. I will not be directing any business your way as you have already stated you intend to steer dealers away from me.
Old 26 July 2019, 06:48 AM   #8
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro

I agree, posting their return policy without identifying the seller isn’t malicious in my opinion. How could you not offer a full refund on a DOA watch? Not cool.

Although it also wasn’t cool to let them do the leg work to obtain another watch to replace the JLC, then request a refund after they get one. You should have tried harder to arrange a return before exploring other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 July 2019, 07:20 AM   #9
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Seems shady at best and that return policy is not favorable to any customer(s). If I read that I would not feel comfortable buying, in my opinion.

If I understand correctly, it was the Seller who said they are no longer interested in selling you the alternative watch, based on you posting their return policy, despite not publishing their name.... that seems illogical but ok.

Tough to judge when always hearing one side - but buyers and sellers beware!
Old 26 July 2019, 07:24 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Is Federico a member here? It’d be interesting to hear his take as well.
Old 26 July 2019, 07:45 AM   #11
77T
2024 Pledge Member

With all the reviews of Delray Watch on TRF I am bewildered by any surprise at this seller’s policies.

Delray is a seller here but it appears this deal was made outside the forum and bringing the dispute here doesn’t conform with TRF rules.

I am sorry for the OP’s disappointment, but just 30 minutes searching would have yielded enough info to avoid this situation methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 26 July 2019, 08:09 AM   #12
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post

Although it also wasn’t cool to let them do the leg work to obtain another watch to replace the JLC, then request a refund after they get one. You should have tried harder to arrange a return before exploring other options.

Not sure if you read the entire thing, but I said all along that a refund should be an option. I did try but according to Fed their return policy is 'clearly stated'. And I still didn't say I wanted the refund over one of the watches on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
With all the reviews of Delray Watch on TRF I am bewildered by any surprise at this seller’s policies.

Delray is a seller here but it appears this deal was made outside the forum and bringing the dispute here doesn’t conform with TRF rules.

I am sorry for the OP’s disappointment, but just 30 minutes searching would have yielded enough info to avoid this situation methinks.

I guess it's on me for not searching around harder for reviews of them. I didn't do that for DSW or HQMilton or any other trusted sellers either as they were trusted.

If this is against TRF rules, feel free to lock or move elsewhere. I thought other forum members had a right to know so they don't have to deal with the same thing I did.
Old 26 July 2019, 08:33 AM   #13
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I’ve worked with John before and everything went smoothly with great communication and I received exactly what I purchased, in better than advertised condition.

Hope you get a sufficient resolution. Doubt John and Fed would jeopardize their name with this transaction, albeit to members on here. BOL
Old 26 July 2019, 09:13 AM   #14
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post

I guess it's on me for not searching around harder for reviews of them. I didn't do that for DSW or HQMilton or any other trusted sellers either as they were trusted.

It isn’t a matter of trust, Delray makes it clear they don’t do returns. I didn’t say Delray is untrusted - it’s just that their policies are strangely different than other sellers here.

It just so happens those other 2 sellers do take returns.

I am truly sorry you’re in this pickle. It has already launched a scurrilous YouTube video citing your case (but without your name). I sense a legal battle coming for that YouTuber.

Old 26 July 2019, 09:34 AM   #15
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It isn’t a matter of trust, Delray makes it clear they don’t do returns. I didn’t say Delray is untrusted - it’s just that their policies are strangely different than other sellers here.

It just so happens those other 2 sellers do take returns.

I am truly sorry you’re in this pickle. It has already launched a scurrilous YouTube video citing your case (but without your name). I sense a legal battle coming for that YouTuber.

Their return policy is copied below. If you don't accept returns, say no returns. What does 'however, we will take return requests at fair consideration' mean then? That's what I was trying to figure out when Fed blew up on me. Even then I was willing to let it go. It's when John appeared and posted lies that I finally posted all the details.

I've never worked with a dealer or private seller who wouldn't accept returns on an item that was not in working condition. I as a private seller can put 'no returns' in my sales listings but if that watch is not in working condition I have to take it back.

Returns
While we will accommodate legitimate claims about a watch not being in the promised condition, we are unable to accept returns on watches. However, we will take return requests at fair consideration, based on the circumstances. If an item is not received in working or advertised condition, we will work with you to come to a fair resolution. Any deposits made against watches shall be considered non-refundable unless otherwise agreed in writing.
Old 26 July 2019, 09:56 AM   #16
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Per Merriam Webster, when However is used as an adverb, one of the definitions is:

: in spite of that : on the other hand
Old 26 July 2019, 09:58 AM   #17
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
If you paid with paypal, like you said. You just could have filed a case with them and got your money back. If they had not returned it.
Old 26 July 2019, 11:31 AM   #18
Heff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure if you read the entire thing, but I said all along that a refund should be an option. I did try but according to Fed their return policy is 'clearly stated'. And I still didn't say I wanted the refund over one of the watches on my list.

If this is against TRF rules, feel free to lock or move elsewhere. I thought other forum members had a right to know so they don't have to deal with the same thing I did.

I read the whole thing. The fact is you arranged for credit towards another purchase, but then took a refund after they found you a watch on the list you gave them. Not cool in my opinion.

Old 26 July 2019, 12:32 PM   #19
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I've never worked with a dealer or private seller who wouldn't accept returns on an item that was not in working condition.

Well...now you have.

And since you’ve done over 100 deals I’d say you have been fortunate.

Did you turn your case over to WikiWatchLeaks on YT?

Old 26 July 2019, 01:09 PM   #20
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
I read the whole thing. The fact is you arranged for credit towards another purchase, but then took a refund after they found you a watch on the list you gave them. Not cool in my opinion.

I think you misread it again. I asked what are my options. They didn't tell me which ones they found and at what price. Once I made Fed aware that I was not the only one who thought their return policy was confusing, he was so furious and longer wanted to work with me. There is 1 thing you don't realize is that I am a man of my word, no matter what. If I said I would buy something I would. So you may want to reassess who was not cool.

Quote:
Well...now you have.

And since you’ve done over 100 deals I’d say you have been fortunate.

Did you turn your case over to WikiWatchLeaks on YT?

I had no idea who that was until someone made me aware of it yesterday. I don't hide behind other people. If I wanted the truth to get out, I would make my own YouTube video so people could hear it in my own words.
Old 26 July 2019, 01:19 PM   #21
Heff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you misread it again. I asked what are my options. They didn't tell me which ones they found and at what price. Once I made Fed aware that I was not the only one who thought their return policy was confusing, he was so furious and longer wanted to work with me. There is 1 thing you don't realize is that I am a man of my word, no matter what. If I said I would buy something I would. So you may want to reassess who was not cool.
Quote:
I called Fed Friday morning July 12th and notified I had shipped the package out during lunch the previous day so it should be there Monday. He said he had inquired with DavidSW who was unwilling to sell him the JLC at dealer cost but he could get me a good deal on the Cartier Santos. I said great, send me the information when you have it so I can look at the options.
That to me says that they told you they found you a Cartier. They obtained it for you before you took the refund.

I am done responding to you, as it seems that you aren’t open to hearing the opinions of others if they don’t align with yours. I agree his return policy isn’t ideal, but don’t think how you handled the possible exchange/refund properly either.

Good luck either way.

Closed Thread