The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 January 2010, 02:03 AM   #1
harleydog
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tona/LVSub/GM2 Pep
Help Needed

I have been looking for a Red Sub for the last month or so and just came across this one.

Any thoughts? Also, comes with Rolex Service papers and box but no original papers. What would a competitive price for this watch be.

Finally, about this Patina thing, is more Patina better than less and what causes patina to form?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Sub.JPG (103.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg red sub2.JPG (113.8 KB, 130 views)
harleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 02:49 AM   #2
eparisini
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263 FAP
$ 7.500 / 8.500 but it depends over all conditions, I can't see form these pics...
Plexy?
Opened case back?
Reference # & Serial #
Bracelet?
Old 23 January 2010, 03:13 AM   #3
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Go to www.doubleredseadweller.com and compare the dials and their respective serial numbers to your watch. As far as what causes the Patina, one school of thought is that the more the watch was exposed to UV light, i.e. worn, the less patina it will have.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 03:28 AM   #4
harleydog
"TRF" Member

So can the Patina be reversed if used more of time, i.e. exposed to sunlight?

and thanks for the input
Old 23 January 2010, 06:54 AM   #5
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydog View Post
So can the Patina be reversed if used more of time, i.e. exposed to sunlight?

and thanks for the input
To my knowledge, no, it will not lighten over time.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 10:02 AM   #6
harleydog
"TRF" Member

Does this mesh with what is known. Thanks again
WATCH HAS SERIAL DATE:3061290 =1971*& MODEL 1680.STAMPED BETWEEN THE LUGS,IT IS ALSO STAMPED:1680 & III 71 = (3RD QUARTER 1971) INSIDE THE CASE BACK. THE ORIGINAL AND PERFECT* CHRONMETER ACCURATE CAL.1570 MOVEMENT HAS BEEN SERVICED.
THE FOLDED LINK BRACELET 9315 AS I HAVE ON THE 5513 IM SELLING WAS THOUGHT BY SOME TO BE USED ON ALL*RED SUB'S (WRONG).BUT ACCORDING TO ROLEX REF BOOKS THOSE BRACELETS WERE USED BETWEEN EARLY 60'S-EARLY 70'S. SO YES*VERY EARLY*RED SUB'S USED 9315 FOLDED LINKS.. HOWEVER*MY WATCH BEING A LATE*71 COULD BE EITHER.WITHOUT BEING THE OWNER THAT BOUGHT IT FROM NEW ,HARD TO TELL. BUT EARLY 70'S THEY STARTED USING A SOLID LINK BRACELET.*MY WATCH HAS A 93150 FLIPLOCK SUBMARINER BRACELET*FITTED .I WOULD SAY TOP CONDITION WITH MINIMAL WEAR.*I HOPE THIS
Old 23 January 2010, 10:10 AM   #7
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3.3M 1655 Mk I
The dial looks correct for that serial number, but I would really like to see more of the case (lugs, crown guards), before commenting on whether or not this is a keeper. For me, minimal to no polishing is a prerequisite ... but that's me. There's nothing worse than over-polished lugs, sides, and crown guards to really impact the value of a vintage piece (other than an incorrect dial of course).

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12
swissautopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 10:23 AM   #8
harleydog
"TRF" Member

Swiss I there an email address you could share that I could send more pics. Not at a computer and my phone will not allow upload

thanks for all the input
Claude
Old 23 January 2010, 11:47 AM   #9
bb3188
"TRF" Member

isnt that dial a closed 6 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissautopro View Post
The dial looks correct for that serial number, but I would really like to see more of the case (lugs, crown guards), before commenting on whether or not this is a keeper. For me, minimal to no polishing is a prerequisite ... but that's me. There's nothing worse than over-polished lugs, sides, and crown guards to really impact the value of a vintage piece (other than an incorrect dial of course).
correct me if im wrong but this dial appears to be a "closed 6" ? (I might have got it wrong with the attached pictures as my eyes arent too good !!) If so,wouldn't that dial be for later models of the red sub?

I am by no means an expert and so am happy to be corrected as it will help my learning curve, but I too have a 111.71 and have been advised that the correct dial is a MK4 , open 6 dial.

rgds

Mark
bb3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 12:11 PM   #10
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbrass3188 View Post
correct me if im wrong but this dial appears to be a "closed 6" ? (I might have got it wrong with the attached pictures as my eyes arent too good !!) If so,wouldn't that dial be for later models of the red sub?

I am by no means an expert and so am happy to be corrected as it will help my learning curve, but I too have a 111.71 and have been advised that the correct dial is a MK4 , open 6 dial.

rgds

Mark
You are correct, it is a "closed 6" dial, as it should be with a 3.0 mil. dial. Actually, I believe you are correct twice. I have found both 'closed 6' and 'open 6' dials in the archive in a very tight serial number range. This may possibly be when the Mk III was being phased out and the Mk 4 phased in.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12

Last edited by swissautopro; 23 January 2010 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Added Information
Old 23 January 2010, 01:00 PM   #11
harleydog
"TRF" Member

Wow a lot to know when buying these. The imformation is great
Old 24 January 2010, 05:31 AM   #12
harleydog
"TRF" Member

Some pics of the lugs and the paperwork that is available.
Anything conclusive that can be deduced from these additional fotos
Thanks
Claude
Old 24 January 2010, 05:33 AM   #13
harleydog
"TRF" Member

Lets Try again

Hope this works
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0440.JPG (31.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0466.JPG (28.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 24 January 2010, 05:41 AM   #14
harleydog
"TRF" Member

Well it has been sold, oddly enough when i asked for a picture of the watch showing the serial number and case number, the answer i got was sold. Is this odd? buy i have my eyes on another one, let me post the picture when i can
Old 24 January 2010, 09:12 AM   #15
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydog View Post
Well it has been sold, oddly enough when i asked for a picture of the watch showing the serial number and case number, the answer i got was sold. Is this odd? buy i have my eyes on another one, let me post the picture when i can
Could be a coincidence. Just move on to the next one.