The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 January 2018, 07:04 AM   #1
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

Help evaluating my late grandfather's Rolex

Hey all, I am very new to the Rolex world. With so many variables that can alter the value of these beautiful watches, I am more than confused and turning to you guys for help. What I think I have is a 50's oyster perpetual. It has the bubble back, has "Brevet 6305 1" engraved in it. What I believe to be rare is the fact that it has both "justdate" in red, and the date numbers are all red. I have attached pictures of the watch, as well as a few with the caseback removed thanks to my friendly local (but Rolex illiterate) jeweler. Any help you could give me [edited] is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180118_140941.jpg (219.3 KB, 845 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180118_142119.jpg (195.3 KB, 842 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180118_140947.jpg (181.1 KB, 839 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180118_141012.jpg (178.4 KB, 839 views)
newrolexowner86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 11:51 AM   #2
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

can a mod please move this to the vintage subforum? thanks, noob error on my part.
Old 19 January 2018, 12:22 PM   #3
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
That’s a surprisingly clean looking A296
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 12:34 PM   #4
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrolexowner86 View Post
can a mod please move this to the vintage subforum? thanks, noob error on my part.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 01:41 PM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Beautiful 6305 you have there OP. It is beyond clean
Old 19 January 2018, 02:25 PM   #6
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Yes the red “datejust” is scarce and sought after. You have a beautiful example.

What Is the white ring around the case opening where the caseback seats?
Old 19 January 2018, 03:09 PM   #7
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Really pretty!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 03:55 PM   #8
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
Yes the red “datejust” is scarce and sought after. You have a beautiful example.

not totally sure, i think it may have been glare. these are not very high quality cell phone pictures. i have not cleaned it, and it has many years of grime on it.
Old 19 January 2018, 03:56 PM   #9
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the delayed replies, guys. Since my account is new, I have to wait for a moderator to approve my posts. Anyone have any idea of the value of this? I'd like to have it insured accurately... I'm also looking for a proper band for it.
Old 19 January 2018, 04:27 PM   #10
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

I'd also like to clean/polish it, but am nervous about harming the finish. Any tips/tricks/products? I literally have no jewelry so I am in uncharted waters here.
Old 19 January 2018, 04:29 PM   #11
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Beautiful 6305 you have there OP. It is beyond clean
Thanks much, I've been scouring the web and can't find another quite like it, especially in its condition.
Old 19 January 2018, 10:45 PM   #12
offrdmania

I’d also like to know what the white ring is around the movement
Old 20 January 2018, 04:21 AM   #13
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure. Could be a lighting thing with my $25 phone. I'll have the caseback popped off again for clarification's sake
Old 20 January 2018, 01:49 PM   #14
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

That's where the gasket goes but they are usually round and black not white and flat.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 04:31 PM   #15
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

literally spent hours researching this watch online. found two in similar condition, but with "sold" listings. having an extremely hard time with placing an accurate value on this old girl... i don't want to insure it for too much (and be told to kick rocks) or way too little in the event of the unfortunate. these old watches are working art, the craftsmanship blows my mind... but man, they're tough to find good info on.
Old 21 January 2018, 01:24 AM   #16
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
literally spent hours researching this watch online. found two in similar condition, but with "sold" listings. having an extremely hard time with placing an accurate value on this old girl... i don't want to insure it for too much (and be told to kick rocks) or way too little in the event of the unfortunate. these old watches are working art, the craftsmanship blows my mind... but man, they're tough to find good info on.
Hi neighbor!!!! Beautiful watch!! I have a 6424 on a brown strap, works great for a casual timepiece.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 10:06 AM   #17
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

What you have is one of the last models to use the bubbleback movement. You are at the midway point between preservation and restoration. You need to put this in the hands of a master watchmaker who can service this particular model and do it properly with a source for the correct parts. Yours is 18k yellow gold with a fantastic original dial the includes the word DateJust in red. These were worn on Jubilee bracelets and also on leather straps. A nice dark brown croc strap would be perfect. You also need to source a correct Rolex gold buckle. They came in Plaque G (plated) 14k and 18k. The last would be correct but on the wrist they'll all look the same so the first on to come along I would snag. I would put insurance value for the watch as it is now, at 8 - 10 thousand...but I wouldn't sell it for less than 15 to 20 because you won't find another as nice as yours in your life time. The 6305 1 means its the first version of that reference number. When you have it serviced, you want to keep any old parts that are changed. The dial and hands should not be touched. The case should not be polished. All you want is a full service on the movement, lubrication and regulation and new seals and gasket. If they can source a new crown and case tube do that too and keep the old ones. Lastly have the watch pressure tested to make sure it is water tight. You have true survivor of a stunning example of the 50's Rolex watches. Take very good care of it.

ps...normally these did not have the Cyclops on the crystal...the little gold frame around the date window was an early form of making the number more readable. But Rolex realized more needed to be done and so the Cyclops came along. Some people hate them but I think they are one of those simple acts of genius and no other date display has come along that is better. I also like the Cyclops so I would keep it on your watch. IMO.
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 10:38 AM   #18
Andad

Watch: A few.
Nice one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (166.8 KB, 421 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 11:28 AM   #19
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
What you have is one of the last models to use the bubbleback movement. You are at the midway point between preservation and restoration. You need to put this in the hands of a master watchmaker who can service this particular model and do it properly with a source for the correct parts. Yours is 18k yellow gold with a fantastic original dial the includes the word DateJust in red. These were worn on Jubilee bracelets and also on leather straps. A nice dark brown croc strap would be perfect. You also need to source a correct Rolex gold buckle. They came in Plaque G (plated) 14k and 18k. The last would be correct but on the wrist they'll all look the same so the first on to come along I would snag. I would put insurance value for the watch as it is now, at 8 - 10 thousand...but I wouldn't sell it for less than 15 to 20 because you won't find another as nice as yours in your life time. The 6305 1 means its the first version of that reference number. When you have it serviced, you want to keep any old parts that are changed. The dial and hands should not be touched. The case should not be polished. All you want is a full service on the movement, lubrication and regulation and new seals and gasket. If they can source a new crown and case tube do that too and keep the old ones. Lastly have the watch pressure tested to make sure it is water tight. You have true survivor of a stunning example of the 50's Rolex watches. Take very good care of it.

ps...normally these did not have the Cyclops on the crystal...the little gold frame around the date window was an early form of making the number more readable. But Rolex realized more needed to be done and so the Cyclops came along. Some people hate them but I think they are one of those simple acts of genius and no other date display has come along that is better. I also like the Cyclops so I would keep it on your watch. IMO.
Thank you so very much for your knowledge and expertise!
Old 21 January 2018, 12:48 PM   #20
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

found a couple bands, what do you guys think?
Old 21 January 2018, 12:48 PM   #21
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-GOLD-...8AAOSwUn9aSBhR

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-mm-Genui...0AAOSwt4xaY8q0
Old 21 January 2018, 01:02 PM   #22
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

By the way, per other member advice, I just sent "Rikki" an email about servicing the watch.
Old 21 January 2018, 01:18 PM   #23
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Lovely survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
Did somebody try to make a new gasket with silicone sealant?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 01:21 PM   #24
77T

If I’m not mistaken, you’ll find that white “ring” is actually silicone sealant that someone put in the recess where the caseback gasket would normally be placed.

As far as Rikki goes, he should be able to sort that out regardless. On the straps, be careful of sellers who may have some replica buckles/straps.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 02:18 PM   #25
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

the "ring" has a plastic-y feeling to it. it's the same diameter all the way around. i've got lots of experience with silicone sealant (started life as a mechanic), this isn't it. if i had to venture a guess, i'd say an incorrect gasket replacement.
Old 22 January 2018, 08:00 AM   #26
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

I like the first one best...I can read the back of the buckle. And it is a fair price. It looks as if the Plaque G may have had an attempt to re-engrave the wording. You often see this between the lugs on cases as well. Or it could be a stainless steel buckle that was plated (but not by rolex) and hand engraved. Yes there are fake buckles out there. The second buckle just doesn't feel right to me...the poor quality of the images always makes me suspicious. An 18k buckle, last time I looked, could be around $400. 14k about $250 to $300. Plaque G could be as much as the 14k...it all comes down to rarity who wants which one and how many are available at the time.
Old 22 January 2018, 11:24 AM   #27
newrolexowner86
"TRF" Member

i was also leaning towards the first. only reason i was considering the second was the fact that it appears to be an actual Rolex band. first it is, need to find the pins that hold the band to the case next.
Old 22 January 2018, 12:29 PM   #28
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the "ring" has a plastic-y feeling to it. it's the same diameter all the way around. i've got lots of experience with silicone sealant (started life as a mechanic), this isn't it. if i had to venture a guess, i'd say an incorrect gasket replacement.
Somebody had the skills to cut Teflon sheet? Interesting. Be a lot harder than buying a rubber o-ring.

haha yeah, same here... too much experience finding DIY silicone sealant aftermaths in many of my other hobbies. Works great when used right (have built fish tanks, redid plumbing, RTA'd engine gaps) but can't stand seeing bandaid hacks with sealant.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 01:11 PM   #29
77T

Quote:

You are probably right - I just never saw a Rolex caseback gasket in that color - it just had me thinking silicone.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 09:45 AM   #30
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i was also leaning towards the first. only reason i was considering the second was the fact that it appears to be an actual Rolex band. first it is, need to find the pins that hold the band to the case next.
Most watchmakers will have them or can get them but the key is to NOT use steel spring bars in a gold watch, especially with a leather strap that causes the pins to rotate in the spring bar holes. They will wear against the sides of the holes and enlarge them. Steel vs gold...steel wins. But the correct Rolex gold spring bars (about $180 a pair) will not wear out the holes. But that is for when it is time to wear the watch. For now, just find a watchmaker to give it a service. You can wear it when that is done. And don't select a watchmaker just because they are local to you. The safest way (because of insurance and accountability) to send you watch is by US Registered Mail. It is slow but sure.