The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 October 2019, 01:06 PM   #1
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Realization about sizing GS bracelets

One of my few gripes w GS (heritage line) is the lack of microadjustments for the bracelet/clasp. It’s always hard for me to get a perfect fit. Until now.

Maybe this was obvious to others, and perhaps I’m slow, but I realized today that a GS “half” link is more like a two-thirds link- it measures approx 6mm and a full link is approx 9mm (measured w calipers)... each GS comes w two “half” links. I just got another GS and had them size it at the boutique and it was either too loose or too tight as the SA added or took away a “half” link.

When I got home I took out my tools and realized the above. So instead of adding back another half link (6mm), I swapped out a full link for the second half link (so that both half links were out) thereby adding back 3mm (9-6) rather 6mm. And voila! Perfect fit.

Hope this helps anyone struggling w sizing a GS bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 03:21 PM   #2
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

Can confirm this is true. This is how I have my bracelet set up on my GS! Good idea to share the knowledge in case others haven't thought of this.

Sent from my SM-G9750 using Tapatalk
redfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 09:08 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
That is a good way to do it. I would like to see more adjustment and it is an improvement the brand should consider.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 03:07 PM   #4
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
I also did the same. Took me a while to figure it out on my first GS. I'm at 13 full links and 0 half links. By the end of the day with my natural swelling, it's a bit snug, but the rest of the day it's perfect.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Hosum
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGA387
I'll need to try this out. I have a GS that gets really tight when my wrist swells, and another that gets so loose where the case sits lopsided on my wrist.

Question: where is the "GS" logo clasp supposed to sit on the underside of your wrist? I assume that the ideal position is in the middle on the underside of your wrist. But to accomplish this, I notice that one side of the bracelet has to be much longer than the other.
Hosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosum View Post
I'll need to try this out. I have a GS that gets really tight when my wrist swells, and another that gets so loose where the case sits lopsided on my wrist.

Question: where is the "GS" logo clasp supposed to sit on the underside of your wrist? I assume that the ideal position is in the middle on the underside of your wrist. But to accomplish this, I notice that one side of the bracelet has to be much longer than the other.
This is normal with other brands too. The 12 side of a watch bracelet it usually longer (i.e. has a couple more links) than the 6 side.
Old 29 October 2019, 10:34 PM   #7
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosum View Post

I think where the clasp logo is centered depends on the shape of your wrist. Mine is pretty much in the center . I have 7 full links on 12 o’clock side and 5 full links on 6 o’clock side (SBGA415). I always have more links on 12 o’clock side for all my watches including Rolex .

Old 30 October 2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Hosum
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGA387
Ah, then I've been doing it wrong. I've been trying to keep both sides symmetrical in terms of number of links, but that has yielded poor results: clasp log ends up off center.
Hosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 03:25 AM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Realization about sizing GS bracelets

I’m struggling with of sbge249 fit from timeless. That 1/2 link out is too tight and in its too large. I started out with both 1/2s in. I need to pursue aftermarket solution as the dial is that good. I do wish they improved these bracelets / they seem to be enhancing everything but the bracelet as they grow. Hope I don’t have to sell this thing - wish I wasn’t so picky on fit but I rank that very highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 03:48 AM   #10
Honza
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega MK40, Rolex
Fortunately for me it two links taken away worked out well for me. Another plus is I am not OCD which makes it easier to be happy. ��
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 03:48 AM   #11
Honza
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega MK40, Rolex
Fortunately for me it two links taken away worked out well for me. Another plus is I am not OCD which makes it easier to be happy. 😃
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 09:33 AM   #12
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I’m struggling with of sbge249 fit from timeless. That 1/2 link out is too tight and in its too large. I started out with both 1/2s in. I need to pursue aftermarket solution as the dial is that good. I do wish they improved these bracelets / they seem to be enhancing everything but the bracelet as they grow. Hope I don’t have to sell this thing - wish I wasn’t so picky on fit but I rank that very highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you swap out a half link (assuming the setup you have where it is too tight), for a full link you will add ~3mm and should be good to go.