The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 November 2019, 08:32 AM   #1
Jmann
"TRF" Member

Help with a trade/swap

Hello,

So ive been in love with royal oaks from the moment i got into timepieces. I finally have the opportunity to acquire a 15500 black dial from an AD. The only way I can get it, however, is if I part with my BLNR and add cash to buy it. Before i try to part with it, i have several questions that im looking forward to hearing your opinions about.

1. If there are owners of both, which do you find yourself wearing more and why?
2. Which do you believe is the most versatile? I ask this because it is my only right now and I want to make sure I can wear it as much as possible.
3. How easy is it to acquire a 15500? Is this something i cant pass up?

Thank you all in advance!
Jmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 08:38 AM   #2
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

AP is nice but not an only watch IMO, I traded my Sub date and a Cartier for a 15400 a few years ago and while I loved the RO I missed the versatility of a steel Rolex. I ended up selling the AP, picked up a BLNR and never looked back
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 08:39 AM   #3
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

My personal view is that a RO isn't a daily wearer

unless you're prepared for it to get banged up (bezel and bracelet).

My view is almost any Rolex is more versatile as a daily wearer (at least that's been my experience).

I've heard anywhere between 3 months or longer for 15500 black and grey (blue a different story).
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 09:07 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The 500 will be increasingly hard to get going forward so I'd do the trade if you really want the watch. It will mark up more than a ceramic bezel watch but no different to a DJ or any watch that has a metal bezel, plus AP will polish it 4/5 times with integrity and at a very fair price.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Jmann
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The 500 will be increasingly hard to get going forward so I'd do the trade if you really want the watch. It will mark up more than a ceramic bezel watch but no different to a DJ or any watch that has a metal bezel, plus AP will polish it 4/5 times with integrity and at a very fair price.
Ive actually heard the opposite about the price!
Jmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:11 AM   #6
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

The AP is a great watch but I would only own one in a collection - never as a one and only daily.
DJTOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:16 AM   #7
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTOSUB View Post
The AP is a great watch but I would only own one in a collection - never as a one and only daily.
This
I would hold on to your BLNR and wait until you can buy the AP without the trade. I'm not trying to say that the AP is easy to acquire but the discontinued BLNR will be harder to get back if you end up having sellers remorse.
I'm speaking from experience here having owned both at a point in time -
[IMG][/IMG]
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:22 AM   #8
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann View Post
Hello,

So ive been in love with royal oaks from the moment i got into timepieces. I finally have the opportunity to acquire a 15500 black dial from an AD. The only way I can get it, however, is if I part with my BLNR and add cash to buy it. Before i try to part with it, i have several questions that im looking forward to hearing your opinions about.

1. If there are owners of both, which do you find yourself wearing more and why?
2. Which do you believe is the most versatile? I ask this because it is my only right now and I want to make sure I can wear it as much as possible.

The AP is not an everyday watch. It is more delicate.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:32 AM   #9
georgekart
"TRF" Member

15500 seem to be hard to get a hold of, so if you are offered one by an AD at MSRP take it, but only if you want one in your collection. If you want to get it just because it is hard to get, don't. Have it go to somebody else. If you want one, go for it.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I had a 15400 white face for about 9 months, sold it and bought a Daytona and put some cash in the bank. RO not an everyday watch
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 07:46 PM   #11
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
If you're really into the 1980's, get the RO.
jimcameron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 08:35 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
RO 70s, Rolex 50s.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 09:04 PM   #13
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I think the RO can easily be worn as a daily, but it requires a certain attitude.

I was holidaying one France a few years ago and at one of the places we stayed, there was a fellow guest that had daily’d his Ferrari 328 as an only car since buying it new back in the 80’s. The paintwork was in tatters, there were scratches and dings everywhere, the leather interior was in poor shape, and generally speaking, it was a mess. But it made it Uber-cool!!

If you can adopt this attitude, then be the cool dude that dailies an AP! If you can’t and you want it to be shiny, stick with Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 09:08 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Not a fan of any of the RO range yes great movements but just do not like the style.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:25 PM   #15
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Contrary to those posting above, I’ve worn my 44mmTiROO every day since I’ve bought it two years ago, no complaints here. When I had my Panda and Diver I also wore them every day with no problem.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:59 PM   #16
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
For the last 12 years I’ve only worn APs and I wear one every day, my watches look 9/10. My wife wears a Rolex (ceramic) Daytona virtually every day, I cleaned it last night and it’s pretty scratched up, maybe 7/10 for condition. I’ve only ever bought new. I think with a watch it’s down to the wearer but honestly anyone who claims that APs are not capable of being worn daily doesn’t know what they’re talking about, maybe they had a bad experience with a used watch and were unaware of its history. Having said the above I would always advise someone getting into nice watches to buy a Rolex first before an AP or Patek as they’re sports/tool watches and have a proven track record of being bulletproof.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 11:17 PM   #17
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
For the last 12 years I’ve only worn APs and I wear one every day, my watches look 9/10. My wife wears a Rolex (ceramic) Daytona virtually every day, I cleaned it last night and it’s pretty scratched up, maybe 7/10 for condition. I’ve only ever bought new. I think with a watch it’s down to the wearer but honestly anyone who claims that APs are not capable of being worn daily doesn’t know what they’re talking about, maybe they had a bad experience with a used watch and were unaware of its history. Having said the above I would always advise someone getting into nice watches to buy a Rolex first before an AP or Patek as they’re sports/tool watches and have a proven track record of being bulletproof.

Agreed 110%
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 11:23 PM   #18
AlexWazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
AP can easily be worn daily, ignore those other comments. Especially the 15500/15450 as they have screw down crowns. Taking them swimming too, no problem.
AlexWazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 11:25 PM   #19
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

I think this perceived AP fragility comes from the fact that the RO is so well finished and has so many facets to the bracelet. It can show marks and scratches especially on the polished surfaces. Any highly polished surface is more susceptible to marking that brushed, just look at polished centre links on Rolex vs sub bracelets for example.

I don't think the movements are fragile enough to warrant discussion unless you are going to be operating a road drill or a jackhammer wearing it! I don't see many threads here with movement issues but am no technical expert...

Cost of service should always be factored into watch ownership. AP is more expensive than Rolex in that regard. However, if you buy it, wear it for 5 years, then have it serviced at AP it will come back looking brand new. Either start again with the wear or move it on when fresh and minty again for probably little to no loss. If you are going to worry about wearing it in the interim, don't buy it IMO.

I scratched my case putting a kids car seat in. Was annoyed for a short while, then thought " F it, it's a watch..."

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 12 November 2019, 12:35 AM   #20
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

I have both references and like them both, it’d be a tough choice to choose one but if I had to, I’ll choose to hold on to the 15500. Basically AP is a different animal and a must have timepiece.

With regards to AP not being an everyday wearer I had mine on for 3 weeks straight and I can live with it as a daily or one and only! Is it delicate yes will it scratch easier than a Rolex yes but if you develop a wrist awareness and look after it well you should be fine.
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 12:45 AM   #21
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Trade for the AP. I wear my AP probably 5 days out the week and i dont baby it, if it gets knocked about so be it. Its only a watch at the end of the day and everything can be fixed.
Get the AP there what you call real luxury time piece, rolexs are what they are mass produced robust watches for the masses who think they have made it.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 02:00 AM   #22
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not a fan of any of the RO range yes great movements but just do not like the style.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way. The watches are exceptionally well made, of course, but man, the design seems so dated.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 03:02 AM   #23
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I actually picked up my black 15500ST while looking for a BLNR. Just walked in and was offered one. I still want a BLNR badly but I have to say AP's level of finishing blows even PM Rolex out of the water. I don't have any concerns about AP's perceived fragility, it's just that they are so nicely finished I am afraid of scratching it and ruining its look. So I don't wear it as much as I should. (I know it's sad)

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 04:06 AM   #24
tcpx
"TRF" Member

Having been in this situation, I say keep the BLNR and add the AP without flipping anything, otherwise you will regret it.

I had the BLNR in 2015 when you can just walk into Rolex ADs and pick them up. Loved it and thought it is the perfect Rolex watch, but flipped it as I wanted to rotate other watches in, including a 15300.

Fast forward to last year, I flipped the 15300 and re bought the BLNR and I’m so glad to have it back. The 15300 was a bit large on me, so I picked up a 15450 and I’m so glad to have both in the collection. Moral of the story is, you’ll always want one of the two if you flip any of them, so save yourself the $$ and just have both lol.
tcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 05:29 AM   #25
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Would love to see your style!

Get the AP and never look back!
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 05:41 AM   #26
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann View Post
Hello,

1. I have a 116710LN and a 15400ST (similar two piece in terms of comparison to your case). I wear the 116710LN more often, but the 15400ST is worn at almost all events/diners/clubs/dates.

2. 15400ST is more versatile, I could wear it more casually, but I find it much harder to pair the GMT up. GMT + suit while traveling is ok, but GMT + semi casual khaki pants brighter coloured clothes is much hard. Not that the GMT is bad but the RO can be paired to look good in jeans/semi-casual/suit/tux.

3. I got lucky with my 15400ST grey, basically walk in first purchase last year. but seems like nothing is coming through at the moment, been on a few waitlist an nothing.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 09:50 AM   #27
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
Contrary to those posting above, I’ve worn my 44mmTiROO every day since I’ve bought it two years ago, no complaints here. When I had my Panda and Diver I also wore them every day with no problem.
I would agree that an AP on a rubber strap is more daily-able than one with a bracelet. I have worn my AP Diver for many many days as a daily and it looks brand new. The one scratch I have on the case is from changing the strap and not wearing it.
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 11:55 AM   #28
ericmeds
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
I don't think it's incredibly hard to acquire a 15500 right now - I just did recently and 2020 allocations are coming in the first week in January.

I suspect they will become harder to obtain in the next year or two though and while it's hard to compare to a steel Rolex (I still have my 116610), AP is just another level as far as finishing goes.

It is not delicate at all and it is definitely versatile.

Go for it! You will not be sorry.
ericmeds is offline   Reply With Quote