The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 June 2021, 01:01 AM   #1
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Boutique visit

Hi all,

I'm new to this section, I'm a massive Rolex/Tudor fanboy but with the way things have been recently I'm trying to get away from Rolex as much as possible.

I visited the Harrods boutique and wow, no snobbery at all they were amazing, I wanted to learn more about AP and the experience was amazing.

I've seen the Royal Oak chronograph (blue dial which I'm quite interested in) the SA said she could take my details down and put me on an "allocation list" I kindly refused and said I'd like to know more about the brand etc before I put my name down.

A few questions for you folks then:

Is the situation the same as Patek/Rolex i.e. impossible to get at retail and sells tripple list price?

Where's the best place to get familiar with reference numbers, the history of the brand etc

Why do you love AP? What bought you to the brand?

Would be so grateful for your wisdom

Lots of love

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 01:52 AM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalifam View Post
Why do you love AP? What bought you to the brand?
As @edo put it recently: "Speaking of three HH brothers PP is the business one, VC is the boring one, and AP is the one sniffing coke from transgender model stomach in Mykonos..."
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 02:30 AM   #3
redwineday
"TRF" Member

redwineday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 03:29 AM   #4
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
As @edo put it recently: "Speaking of three HH brothers PP is the business one, VC is the boring one, and AP is the one sniffing coke from transgender model stomach in Mykonos..."
Worst quote I have read.

What brought me to AP was the history and style of the RO. I visited (at the time) an AD and fell in love with the brand. Coming from Rolex and Tudor its night and day so be ready. I have owned a hand full of Rolex's and after buying AP I no longer enjoy Rolex as the fit and style I don't do anything for me. I think the most important, at least for me, is to make sure you like the way it fits and the style then dive into the history and the craftsmanship. Either way enjoy the process!
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 04:11 AM   #5
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Way worse than Rolex to get right now, but not as bad as PP.

I personally love Rolex more. It's great value for the money (you can get full gold Rolex watch for the price of strap only AP). But in a Rolex heavy collection, the contrast with having a RO is very, very pleasing for the collection.

Design and Service are all superb. Website however is very unhelpful. I'd actually just look at Monochome press announcements for 2021 models and go from there, especially on all the new ROO models. Good luck in the journey!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 05:13 AM   #6
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
I’ve owned pretty much every Rolex model over the last few years but have become increasingly interested in watch making, this has led me to AP.
I have no interest now in mass produced watches from Rolex, Omega etc and all the other upper mid tier brands, high horology makers are a totally different level.
I’m a sports watch fan so it’s the Royal Oak offshore for me, I find the 42mm fits my 6.5 inch perfectly, loads of wrist presence without over hanging.
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 05:45 AM   #7
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
OP whether you’re buying from Harrods or AP House you’ll find the same experience, highly professional people who also love the brand. The blue dialled chrono Royal Oak is stunning and you’d be extremely fortunate to be allocated that as your 1st AP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 06:06 AM   #8
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
OP whether you’re buying from Harrods or AP House you’ll find the same experience, highly professional people who also love the brand. The blue dialled chrono Royal Oak is stunning and you’d be extremely fortunate to be allocated that as your 1st AP.

Thank you... Does this mean other purchases are required to be made prior to getting a Chrono royal?

khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 06:16 AM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Thank you... Does this mean other purchases are required to be made prior to getting a Chrono royal?

I think it depends, some people on this forum have stated that they had to buy other watches before being offered a Royal Oak and then there are others that have stated that it wasn’t a requirement.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 07:25 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

There is a lot of good information on this sub forum, so a great place to start reading up.

They have some of, if not the best customer service in the business. Truly world class.

For me it’s the combination of HH, sporty aesthetic and robustness that attracts me.

I’m not a dress watch guy, but want to have that same level of finishing and quality whilst wearing the heck out of it

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 07:37 AM   #11
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Good analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Best statement ever.
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 07:45 AM   #12
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was lucky enough to get ROC as my first purchase before the craze went into it's current gear.

My feeling is that the brand is so hot right now even Codes which were widely unpopular are selling quickly now. So while not an explicit requirement that you need to buy the code, I think you'll find yourself behind the people who have bought Codes 90% of the time and the last 10% of the time being pure luck to get a RO as first purchase now in 2021.

I mean if you were a SA or boutique manager and you have 15 people who bought a Code as their first watch in 2020 or 2021, who would you sell the ROC to?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 07:52 AM   #13
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
I’m at AP House and Harrods tomorrow to see what they have/can offer me. If they have my 15500 Blue dial at last I guess I’ll slum it and buy that……

(Sigh, as if…….)
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote