The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 June 2021, 01:49 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Wind and Solar Power...

Hope posting this won't be controversial, but I'm guessing it still will be....

What's interesting is the thinking and re-thinking of ideas for alternative energy sources as they evolve......Obviously not everything will work as hoped for, but it's great to see work on so many levels and fronts to get us on track to slowly replacing fossil fuels...

Of course all the nay-sayers laughed at Nikola Tesla too and now he has his own car company......just kidding..............https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...rly-180958881/

https://newatlas.com/energy/wind-cat...89858-93122952

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...gest-floating-
solar-park

https://newatlas.com/materials/kaust...89858-93122952
Old 14 June 2021, 02:10 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This and that plus natural gas or nuclear to manage gaps in renewables availability for a cleaner world.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 02:15 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Interesting post.

On a micro level, we are just going through the process of analyzing solar panels for our home. It’s sort of a rabbit hole ….

Our home is nat gas powered but we may need a new furnace in 5 years. Then you start looking at all your appliances, addition of PHEV’s or EV’s and all of a sudden it becomes a complicated math equation

Funny, but 40 years ago the push was on to convert everyone from electric to nat gas here. Now it seems the pendulum is swinging back the other way.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 02:50 AM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
This and that plus natural gas or nuclear to manage gaps in renewables availability for a cleaner world.
Absolutely! I am not an expert on any of the energy sources but if it helps the envirnonment and pollutes less, I am all for it.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 03:00 AM   #5
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Adapt and Evolve. It's the way we all got here in the first place. No surprise it continues in all facets of our existence. Everything we current enjoy and rely on for survival, comfort and security is a result of this process. It's a good thing and always will be in every way.

Brenngun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 03:43 AM   #6
77T

Wind and Solar Power...

Wind and Solar require conversion of a natural resource with new technologies that require total replacement over time. That is, the wind turbines & blades or in the case of solar, the panels.

Nuclear has a longer investment lifecycle but has harsher consequences for any accidents (plus the toxic spent fuel storage).

What I foresee is a gain in Geo-thermal efficiency to yield a cost effective and renewable resource.

The key will be economically tapping resources globally - current tech is focused on areas where tectonic plates meet because it is cheaper to tap geo-thermal there.

It is globally inexhaustible in the coming century and beyond - the Earth has an internal heat content of 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 joules, yes 10 to the 31st power - or about 100 billion times the 2010 worldwide annual energy consumption.[1] (see Wikipedia)

It has the long-term investment benefit of nuclear without the risks, and uses current tech in steam turbines. Local depletion can be an issue as over-extraction can actually cool an area of the Earth’s crust thereby reducing geyser output. (You sacrifice beauty for energy if you aren’t careful)

It’s more reliable than wind and solar without the need for power storage to meet overnight power demand when neither sun nor winds are strong.

Note 1.
“The possible role and contribution of geothermal energy to the mitigation of climate change”
Presented at: IPCC Scoping Meeting on Renewable Energy Sources conference (PDF)
https://web.archive.org/web/20100308...0May08_000.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 04:07 AM   #7
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Anything that is good for Planet Earth and the Future of Humanity is Good By Me! Technological improvements welcome here!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 04:37 AM   #8
logo
"TRF" Member

I look forward to nuclear fusion (not the current uranium fission stuff). I'm talking star power! I saw a news article recently that a lab in China was able to create the requisite plasma and maintain it at a temperature of 120 MILLION degrees Celsius (216M in Fahrenheit) for 101 seconds, and 160 MILLION degrees Celsius 288M in Fahrenheit) for 20 seconds. Imagine, one day having a little star in your city to power everything you see. Not to mention having a star powered rocket ship for space exploration.

https://interestingengineering.com/c...un-sets-record
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 04:53 AM   #9
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I look forward to nuclear fusion (not the current uranium fission stuff). I'm talking star power! I saw a news article recently that a lab in China was able to create the requisite plasma and maintain it at a temperature of 120 MILLION degrees Celsius (216M in Fahrenheit) for 101 seconds, and 160 MILLION degrees Celsius 288M in Fahrenheit) for 20 seconds. Imagine, one day having a little star in your city to power everything you see. Not to mention having a star powered rocket ship for space exploration.

https://interestingengineering.com/c...un-sets-record
I don't really know much about nuclear reactors but Bill Gates has been working on something first with the Chinese then this one going up in Wyoming.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...rly-180958881/
Old 19 June 2021, 03:48 AM   #10
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I don't really know much about nuclear reactors but Bill Gates has been working on something first with the Chinese then this one going up in Wyoming.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...rly-180958881/
Gosh the man that can't implement stolen operating systems without viruses and malware 30 years later is the last person I'd trust with something unknown and nuclear. I wonder what would happen to that during a Carrington event.

If Gates really cared about the environment, he would focus on proper disposal of and consumption limitations on both plastics and lithium ion batteries. He cares more about the spotlight though imo at least. Think about all the e waste his Windows PCs generated over the years, largely because of faulty operating systems. Solar panels at the house level would be interesting if we as a society could deal with not having massive houses, and investing in panels instead.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 05:02 AM   #11
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Of course all the nay-sayers laughed at Nikola Tesla too and now he has his own car company . . .
Pretty sure the car company is named after the rock band
Old 19 June 2021, 07:27 AM   #12
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Never understood why Geothermal isn't developed more.

Kind of related: No plastics should be made that aren't recyclable or bio-degradable.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 07:57 AM   #13
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Never understood why Geothermal isn't developed more.
At the risk of further derail, this was in the news locally recently.

Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 12:03 PM   #14
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Pretty sure the car company is named after the rock band

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 11:02 PM   #15
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Interesting thread!

I installed a 3 zoned Geothermal HVAC system in our house way back in '92. I had a accountant run some figures a few years ago. At that point, we had saved 157,000 vs. oil/ gas costs over the period of 25 years!

I'm a huge fan!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote