Old 22 October 2020, 11:33 AM   #92
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR126720
Did it! Code 11.59 Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparezco View Post
How heavy is this watch?

Not heavy at all. Much lighter than most of my SS rolexes; it helps that the bracelet is leather obviously. It's thin and balanced overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pj1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 07:38 AM   #93
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Some of you have asked me how I feel about the Code after the honeymoon phase. To be honest, I remain enamored with the smoked, sunray purple dial Code1159 and the case just keeps speaking to me. I keep loving it more and more. I wear the watch all of the time and while it can be hard to pair with different colors, the watch maintains a dark look – almost black – that allows you to be more experimental. Often times, I don’t care anyway and still wear it even if I am not “color coordinated”.

The watch size is really good to me. It still feels a little thick but I like it that way. The lugs are so interesting, skeletonized, and short. Oh, I also changed the strap to the AP Kevlar strap. It gives me a more easy-going, modern, “telework” feel. Did I say I wear this watch a lot?

Here are some things that I would like to see for it.

1. Easier changing straps: Holy crap! It was hard changing the strap. I used a loupe and tools and was totally paranoid in scratching the gold. I did but it was not easy for me. For this first time, it took me about 40 mins. I am not looking forwarding to changing it back to the leather. I really wish there was a way to change the straps like Journe, Vacheron, JLC, and others. More strap colors and texture would go a very long way to give the Code some life and adventure.

2. Buckle: I love the buckle design a lot! But, for the price point of the Code, I really wish the buckle was actually a deployant clasp. This watch really deserves it. I hear the cost is over 3,000CHF if you want to get it.

3. Luminescent: I wear this watch all of the time. In the early mornings at 0630 while waiting for the regional train, I can’t see the time. I look at my phone. I feel this watch is “sporty” enough that some form of luminous hands and markers will be awesome. Yes, I know it goes against the design but imagine this being part of the gold metal somehow. I mean, stretching the limits of luminous dials would be awesome.

4. Dial: This is not a criticism since I love my purple dial. However, I’d love to own one of the two-tone Chrono Codes but would love to see some textures. Perhaps not tapisserie but something “new”. Some dial texture design that will finally give this watch its very own definitive character identity. It is getting closer.

5. Price: Already bought it at MSRP so it doesn’t matter. However, this watch takes a killing in the secondary market. I have already seen it offered (the purple variant), for $19,800. That is over $7000 or 26% off. Imagine trying to sell it to a second hand dealer. I think one would be out 40 to 50%.

Would I do it again? Absolutely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3187 2.jpeg (139.6 KB, 541 views)
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 07:54 AM   #94
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
1.Easier changing straps: Holy crap! It was hard changing the strap. I used a loupe and tools and was totally paranoid in scratching the gold. I did but it was not easy for me. For this first time, it took me about 40 mins. I am not looking forwarding to changing it back to the leather. I really wish there was a way to change the straps like Journe, Vacheron, JLC, and others.
Quick change straps will be on the new facelift version - Code12:01.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:02 AM   #95
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some of you have asked me how I feel about the Code after the honeymoon phase. To be honest, I remain enamored with the smoked, sunray purple dial Code1159 and the case just keeps speaking to me. I keep loving it more and more. I wear the watch all of the time and while it can be hard to pair with different colors, the watch maintains a dark look – almost black – that allows you to be more experimental. Often times, I don’t care anyway and still wear it even if I am not “color coordinated”.

The watch size is really good to me. It still feels a little thick but I like it that way. The lugs are so interesting, skeletonized, and short. Oh, I also changed the strap to the AP Kevlar strap. It gives me a more easy-going, modern, “telework” feel. Did I say I wear this watch a lot?

Here are some things that I would like to see for it.

1.Easier changing straps: Holy crap! It was hard changing the strap. I used a loupe and tools and was totally paranoid in scratching the gold. I did but it was not easy for me. For this first time, it took me about 40 mins. I am not looking forwarding to changing it back to the leather. I really wish there was a way to change the straps like Journe, Vacheron, JLC, and others. More strap colors and texture would go a very long way to give the Code some life and adventure.

2.Buckle: I love the buckle design a lot! But, for the price point of the Code, I really wish the buckle was actually a deployant clasp. This watch really deserves it. I hear the cost is over 3,000CHF if you want to get it.

3.Luminescent: I wear this watch all of the time. In the early mornings at 0630 while waiting for the regional train, I can’t see the time. I look at my phone. I feel this watch is “sporty” enough that some form of luminous hands and markers will be awesome. Yes, I know it goes against the design but imagine this being part of the gold metal somehow. I mean, stretching the limits of luminous dials would be awesome.

4.Dial: This is not a criticism since I love my purple dial. However, I’d love to own one of the two-tone Chrono Codes but would love to see some textures. Perhaps not tapisserie but something “new”. Some dial texture design that will finally give this watch its very own definitive character identity. It is getting closer.

5.Price: Already bought it at MSRP so it doesn’t matter. However, this watch takes a killing in the secondary market. I have already seen it offered (the purple variant), for $19,800. That is over $7000 or 26% off. Imagine trying to sell it to a second hand dealer. I think one would be out 40 to 50%.

All excellent points you make - perhaps someone in AP will be reading

It is a great looking watch. I particularly like the idea of the metalwork itself luminescing.

One thing that was strongly featured at the time of launch was the way the logo was applied to the dial - does that stand out to you whilst wearing ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:20 AM   #96
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
5. Price: Already bought it at MSRP so it doesn’t matter. However, this watch takes a killing in the secondary market. I have already seen it offered (the purple variant), for $19,800. That is over $7000 or 26% off. Imagine trying to sell it to a second hand dealer. I think one would be out 40 to 50%.

If you love the watch this shouldn't matter. But, the reality is what you said is true and it's a bit gut wrenching for some of us that try and buy watches that stay within 80% of their retail value. The fact is if you need to get out of a Code, you're going to take a bath on par with a Patek Complication.

A gray dealer will offer you $16,000 tops for a time/date Code, and even that is probably a stretch because these aren't going to turn over quickly. $15,000 is probably more realistic.

I took the dive on a Code (gray smoked TD model) - I should have it in a couple of weeks as it's taken some time to get back in stock. My AD has stated he's sold several Codes over the past two months and perhaps that is a sign of things to come.

I went with the Code because I did become a bit struck with the watch and I plan on enjoying it. I think it's a perfect versatile piece to add to my collection. I also feel these watches will eventually creep up as the Code gains more popularity and respect. These days, I see very little substantive commentary from the Code bashing. It's mostly people that can't think and just want to be heard. All this said, any market value leveling is not going to happen suddenly. My approach will be to enjoy the watch for the next 3-5 years and then see where things are at.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 01:56 AM   #97
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1369 View Post
Not heavy at all. Much lighter than most of my SS rolexes; it helps that the bracelet is leather obviously. It's thin and balanced overall.
Interesting. I guess it depends on the point of reference - compared to a typical dress watch, I thought it felt quite substantial, both in terms of weight and thickness. I liked the size/weight and the PC dial is awesome (and out of my price range).
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 03:02 AM   #98
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Had to add another pic.

Old 25 November 2020, 03:59 AM   #99
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Had to add another pic.

nice pic and matching with the purple scarf!
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 04:49 AM   #100
shkure
Banned

Thanks for the review and all the photos OP. Im looking to get one of these as well, i find it absolutely stunning.

Still in love with the watch?

shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 05:34 AM   #101
Rolexrockzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWC, Steinhart
Beautiful .
Rolexrockzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2021, 07:47 PM   #102
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Congratulations, the purple looks very nice
Old 5 April 2021, 04:38 AM   #103
SwissWatchCollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always on my wrist
Congrats, very nice
SwissWatchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 08:11 AM   #104
ajw99
"TRF" Member

Another member of the purple club here... Always wanted an elegant, sporty purple dial watch... Finally found it. Here's a photo with the reflection showing clouds and the sun breaking through them (which is "code" for me saying I'm not very good at watch photography and it just happened to be a cool reflection).
ajw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 09:39 AM   #105
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek World Time
Quote:
Thanks AP1. Nothing yet. Just enjoying the Code for now.

Your Patek perpetual looks great, nice combo with code 1159
Simon.DGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 10:15 AM   #106
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw99 View Post
Another member of the purple club here... Always wanted an elegant, sporty purple dial watch... Finally found it. Here's a photo with the reflection showing clouds and the sun breaking through them (which is "code" for me saying I'm not very good at watch photography and it just happened to be a cool reflection).

Congrats! That looks stunning. I love it.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 12:36 PM   #107
Shazbot302
"TRF" Member

Outstanding. I absolutely love the case on the 11.59.
Shazbot302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 12:41 PM   #108
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I do love the purple.

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 09:44 PM   #109
ajw99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Congrats! That looks stunning. I love it.

Thank you.

The purple color is much less noticeable in-person than the blue dial, which is a true blue even under indirect room lighting, and looks awesome.

I would describe the purple dial as a deep plumb or even as a black with a hint of purple. Unless under direct light, it seems like a black laquered dial. The images on the AP site are, to my eyes, not at all what the purple dial is like in real life. Perhaps the stock purple strap would make the purple dial pop a bit more. At first, I was a bit bummed and perplexed and then I realized that even though a true purple dial is cool, I would probably tire quickly if it were a truly purple watch. In the end, I am glad it is the way it is. I wore it out this past weekend and a couple of friends agree had similar opinions re: the in-person color.

Your eyes may differ and hopefully this post of mine is helpful to anyone thinking about getting it.

Here are a few more photos...

Thank you.

Old 15 June 2021, 11:45 PM   #110
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's an epic photo! Take that FPJ CB!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 02:40 PM   #111
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That is so fantastic! Congratulations on your Code. It is one of my fav watches in the collection and it gets a lot of wrist time. Did you change the strap yourself?
Old 16 June 2021, 11:29 PM   #112
fspfsp
"TRF" Member

Wooooh, that is gorgeous! Congrats mate!
IWC: 5004, 5001
Patek: 3744, 5968A
fspfsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:10 PM   #113
jbro352
"TRF" Member

The code is really growing on me! Congrats on a beautiful acquisition!

jbro352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:41 PM   #114
Becweb
Banned

I really don't like this watch no matter how many times I look at it and see the variants. The perpetual calendar though is great looking. Happy for you if you love it the way you describe it, congrats!
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 09:55 PM   #115
spryken
"TRF" Member

Congratulations to all the code owner, all the pictures are great .
I’ve been introduced to code 11.59 last year when I first got my 38mm ROC, my SA shown me the grey dial but I’m not convinced at all.

After a few months when a friend of mine getting his code 11.59 white dial, the interest is growing on me again.
I went back to the boutique, tried on the purple chrono code, and I’m sold.
But the price is on the high side for me , so I decided to plan for a time and date only code 11.59

White, blue, purple is the list of colours in my initial options.

Drop the list down to purple and blue, I admire both of them, and I could not make up my mine, so I ask my SA to think of a colour that will match me better, he mention that I look better in blue.

Just 2 days ago my SA sent me a good news, the blue code 11.59 is getting closer to me. I just can’t wait to see in person the blue code 11.59

I think the code 11.59 just don’t get the love at first sight , it slowly grow in AP collectors.

Congratulations again to all the code lovers
spryken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 11:05 PM   #116
jdkrut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Congrats!
jdkrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:35 AM   #117
ajw99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryken View Post
Congratulations to all the code owner, all the pictures are great .
I’ve been introduced to code 11.59 last year when I first got my 38mm ROC, my SA shown me the grey dial but I’m not convinced at all.

After a few months when a friend of mine getting his code 11.59 white dial, the interest is growing on me again.
I went back to the boutique, tried on the purple chrono code, and I’m sold.
But the price is on the high side for me , so I decided to plan for a time and date only code 11.59

White, blue, purple is the list of colours in my initial options.

Drop the list down to purple and blue, I admire both of them, and I could not make up my mine, so I ask my SA to think of a colour that will match me better, he mention that I look better in blue.

Just 2 days ago my SA sent me a good news, the blue code 11.59 is getting closer to me. I just can’t wait to see in person the blue code 11.59

I think the code 11.59 just don’t get the love at first sight , it slowly grow in AP collectors.

Congratulations again to all the code lovers
The blue is a true medium-sky blue and looks awesome in-person, even under normal lighting conditions! You'll love it. The purple is deep plumb under bright direct light and even then, only some but not the entire dial is plumb; it's otherwise black. And so it continues to look like black lacquer under all other lighting conditions (at least, that's how mine looks to me and others who have seen it indoors and outdoors, daytime and nighttime). For better or for worse, the AP web site / media stock purple-dial photos look like a totally different watch than the purple in-person.
Old 19 June 2021, 12:02 PM   #118
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you.

The purple color is much less noticeable in-person than the blue dial, which is a true blue even under indirect room lighting, and looks awesome.

I would describe the purple dial as a deep plumb or even as a black with a hint of purple. Unless under direct light, it seems like a black laquered dial. The images on the AP site are, to my eyes, not at all what the purple dial is like in real life. Perhaps the stock purple strap would make the purple dial pop a bit more. At first, I was a bit bummed and perplexed and then I realized that even though a true purple dial is cool, I would probably tire quickly if it were a truly purple watch. In the end, I am glad it is the way it is. I wore it out this past weekend and a couple of friends agree had similar opinions re: the in-person color.

Your eyes may differ and hopefully this post of mine is helpful to anyone thinking about getting it.

Here are a few more photos...

Thank you.

Yup it’s stunning. Really like the combo of purple dial, gold case, and the strap you have it on looks amazing.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 01:01 PM   #119
spryken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The blue is a true medium-sky blue and looks awesome in-person, even under normal lighting conditions! You'll love it. The purple is deep plumb under bright direct light and even then, only some but not the entire dial is plumb; it's otherwise black. And so it continues to look like black lacquer under all other lighting conditions (at least, that's how mine looks to me and others who have seen it indoors and outdoors, daytime and nighttime). For better or for worse, the AP web site / media stock purple-dial photos look like a totally different watch than the purple in-person.

Thanks for the input, I’ve seen the purple chrono in person and I agreed it should looks like black in many lighting conditions,
I can’t wait to see the blue in real person .
I’ve noticed the blue is less been seen on the internet or code is less found in social media . Lol
spryken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 01:05 AM   #120
Qimchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everything
Beautiful purple dial.

I admit I was one of the few whom dislike the code when first launched.

Somehow it grew on me. Especially if you get the chance to handle it up close.

The side profile of the watch feels like a coupe sport car. Like the layered lacquered dial.

I think AP got it right with this one.

Am hoping for a smaller sized and thinner version.
Qimchi is offline   Reply With Quote