The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 October 2017, 03:57 AM   #61
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Great race! Vettel coming from dead last to finish 4th was very impressive and a huge congrats to Max Verstappen for winning the race. Max is a great driver, I'm hugely impressed with skill and maturity as a driver.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 04:48 AM   #62
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Great race! Vettel coming from dead last to finish 4th was very impressive and a huge congrats to Max Verstappen for winning the race. Max is a great driver, I'm hugely impressed with skill and maturity as a driver.

Agree completely.

Max is a future world champion for sure.

Amazing drive by Vettel from the back of the grid to minimise the losses to Hamilton. The drive of a 4 time world champion.

Very worrying times for Mercedes though. Absolutely unstoppable since the summer break to Singapore and more so Malaysia where they are absolutely nowhere. Where has their pace gone? Need to understand their issues quickly otherwise another world championship will slip through Hamilton’s fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 06:24 AM   #63
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Smart move by Lewis by not defending too hard when Max passed him. He's trying to win the WDC at this point and only cares about beating Vettel.

Also Vettel is staring at a potential 5 grid spot penalty if he has to change his gearbox from the post race crash.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 03:29 AM   #64
SDRider
Banned

Another disastrous race for Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel. Another great result for Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton. I would have liked to see Verstappen push Lewis a little harder for the win but traffic at the end made it difficult to challenge Lewis Hamilton. I’m a big fan of Lewis Hamilton though so I’m happy with the outcome.

This championship is almost clinched.
Old 9 October 2017, 12:22 PM   #65
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Ferrari...smh.

The move Kevin Magnussen made on Massa was great. Passed Massa and then basically forced him off the racing line which allowed Romain to also pass Massa.
Old 10 October 2017, 03:17 AM   #66
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Quote:
Another disastrous race for Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel. Another great result for Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton. I would have liked to see Verstappen push Lewis a little harder for the win but traffic at the end made it difficult to challenge Lewis Hamilton. I’m a big fan of Lewis Hamilton though so I’m happy with the outcome.

This championship is almost clinched.

I was seriously disappointed in Alonso specifically as VER was on a major charge and was just about ready to make a move on HAM until the MacLaren cut him off! Oh well it probably wouldn’t have changed the result but you never know. Lewis is impressive although I am not a fan. His talent and capability growth are incredible. Seb is in a dark place but he’s got to get over it and move on. I remember Lewis patiently waiting those four years that Seb had at Red Bull. I’m enjoying the current Red Bull team a lot! Also Force India is always good for a laugh (those two drivers are so bad together).

MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 08:35 AM   #67
SDRider
Banned

US Grand Prix did not disappoint. Big congrats to Lewis Hamilton for another win and extending his championship lead over Sebastian Vettel. Drive of the day goes to Max Verstappen who was robbed of a podium finish by a 5 second penalty.
Old 23 October 2017, 11:06 AM   #68
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
US Grand Prix did not disappoint. Big congrats to Lewis Hamilton for another win and extending his championship lead over Sebastian Vettel. Drive of the day goes to Max Verstappen who was robbed of a podium finish by a 5 second penalty.
Yup - great race! Kimi is still one of my favorites
Old 23 October 2017, 01:10 PM   #69
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Mexico coming up!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 03:32 PM   #70
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Great race weekend from practice 1 to the checkered flag!

One of my favorite tracks too.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 09:19 PM   #71
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

Great weekend capped by a live Stewards room controversy. The reality of the 5-sec penalty to Max was consistent with other cases of short cutting track limits to gain an advantage this year. Of course the excessive use of the run off areas makes it hard to accept - but in those cases drivers didn’t gain a passing advantage.

If someone had straightened out the Esses it would be obvious. This always fuels countless debates when a podium position is at stake.

I think one F1 fan website laid it out best:
“Verstappen cut a corner, shortened the track and by doing so overtook another car. Surely this should be a black-and-white penalty?

Sergio Perez was given a five-second time penalty and one point on his licence for overtaking Romain Grosjean at Spa with all four wheels off the track. Jolyon Palmer was given a five-second time penalty and one point on his licence for doing the same to Fernando Alonso at Monza. This decision is consistent with these previous ones.”

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 11:20 PM   #72
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
I wouldn't say he was robbed as he passed illegally to begin with. He can't win a podium by doing something illegal to get it, i.e., he cut the corner and ran over the curb to gain an advantage.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 12:00 AM   #73
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Great weekend capped by a live Stewards room controversy. The reality of the 5-sec penalty to Max was consistent with other cases of short cutting track limits to gain an advantage this year. Of course the excessive use of the run off areas makes it hard to accept - but in those cases drivers didn’t gain a passing advantage.

If someone had straightened out the Esses it would be obvious. This always fuels countless debates when a podium position is at stake.

I think one F1 fan website laid it out best:
“Verstappen cut a corner, shortened the track and by doing so overtook another car. Surely this should be a black-and-white penalty?

Sergio Perez was given a five-second time penalty and one point on his licence for overtaking Romain Grosjean at Spa with all four wheels off the track. Jolyon Palmer was given a five-second time penalty and one point on his licence for doing the same to Fernando Alonso at Monza. This decision is consistent with these previous ones.”
Bottas ran wide at turn one (all four wheels off) fending off Ricciardo on lap two and he didn’t incur a penalty.

This decision is not consistent with other incidents.
Old 24 October 2017, 05:00 AM   #74
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

Quote:
Bottas ran wide at turn one (all four wheels off) fending off Ricciardo on lap two and he didn’t incur a penalty.

This decision is not consistent with other incidents.

I prolly didn’t explain the ruling well. Running wide is different than shortcutting the course. So Bottas was OK. Instead, had he cut the apex at T1 to get by a car, he’d run afoul of the Stewards. In the drivers meeting all was explained about the allowances for running wide at turns (especially the last turn before the front-straight).

Ironically WEC Stewards instruct drivers differently for that last turn - they want no more than 3 wheels going wide. All part of racecraft - and makes for interesting weekends if you Race with different sanctioning bodies.

I do think that they should redefine the track limit rules so the fans aren’t short-changed after a race, though. At Mexico this weekend it’ll be different again.

Old 24 October 2017, 07:50 AM   #75
The Joker
"TRF" Member

What the F in hell was that at the beginning, the drivers entrance.

Drivers start your engines, let's get ready to rumble.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 07:52 AM   #76
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Technically they are actually hybrid power units, and the drivers can't start their engines, it takes a team of mechanics to do that.
Old 24 October 2017, 07:53 AM   #77
77T
2024 Pledge Member

That was the Austin F1 race Wes?

Old 24 October 2017, 08:02 AM   #78
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That was the Austin F1 race Wes?

They certainly went full out America.
Old 24 October 2017, 08:04 AM   #79
77T
2024 Pledge Member

In the US feed I didn’t see the comment about starting engines etc

But it’s true - drivers don’t start the cars: https://youtu.be/n9X-ISjpMBg

Old 24 October 2017, 08:07 AM   #80
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the US feed I didn’t see the comment about starting engines etc

But it’s true - drivers don’t start the cars: https://youtu.be/n9X-ISjpMBg

They had the chap from the boxing do the entrances for the drivers. Basically he was just reading from a card cos he didn't have a scooby who any of them were.
Old 24 October 2017, 08:40 AM   #81
texasmade
"TRF" Member

He did introduce Kvyat as the torpedo though.
Old 24 October 2017, 08:41 AM   #82
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
They had the chap from the boxing do the entrances for the drivers. Basically he was just reading from a card cos he didn't have a scooby who any of them were.

Ok Michael Buffer - now I get it. He’s become an ad pitch for AT&T here too.

https://youtu.be/fSbFgt0wp_4

Old 24 October 2017, 01:41 PM   #83
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Technically they are actually hybrid power units, and the drivers can't start their engines, it takes a team of mechanics to do that.
They do that for the Indy car races too and it isn’t possible to start those cars without an external starter either.
Old 24 October 2017, 07:25 PM   #84
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I enjoyed the recent race in Austin. It was great to see Max providing some form of racing. Too bad he was penalized and not able to take that final podium spot. During the first few laps, Hamilton and Vettel also provided some fair but hard racing. Kudos to Carlos Sainz to score points on his debut outing for Renault. Overall a great race and I hope this track will stay on the calendar for a long time.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 08:27 PM   #85
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
I prolly didn’t explain the ruling well. Running wide is different than shortcutting the course. So Bottas was OK. Instead, had he cut the apex at T1 to get by a car, he’d run afoul of the Stewards. In the drivers meeting all was explained about the allowances for running wide at turns (especially the last turn before the front-straight).

Ironically WEC Stewards instruct drivers differently for that last turn - they want no more than 3 wheels going wide. All part of racecraft - and makes for interesting weekends if you Race with different sanctioning bodies.

I do think that they should redefine the track limit rules so the fans aren’t short-changed after a race, though. At Mexico this weekend it’ll be different again.

If they don’t want drivers using that part of the track then make the curbs higher or put a wall there. Otherwise, let them race.

Niki Lauda even said the decision by the stewards was wrong.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...t-ever-seen-f1
Old 24 October 2017, 09:16 PM   #86
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Niki’s opinion is just that. And many people have come down on the opposite side per a fan poll.

Would it surprise anyone that the Ferrari team (whose driver was passed) hasn’t complained? Problem isn’t the decision as much as the track limit rule (as it is written today).

Per Niki, “But why can you not drive over white lines if it is possible? Build a wall there if you want, but as long as there is normal circuit you can use it. The white line is not a limit, we agreed this last year.” But the last part isn’t accurate - the leniency was about tracking out over the white line vs. shortcutting the course to gain an advantage. When you look at the incidents of shortcutting throughout the season you’ll see this decision was consistent. But because it happened on last lap the outcome was more evident on TV.

Old 25 October 2017, 02:50 AM   #87
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Sadly the season is winding down, sigh.

So what are your two favorite tracks to see the teams race on?
Old 25 October 2017, 02:55 AM   #88
goin camping
"TRF" Member

F1 has been pretty consistent on penalizing gaining an advantage by passing off the track on the inside.

Here in America two of our announcers, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett light up real quick when that happens about giving the position back before the stewards get involved.

Max ran a stunning race but "stepped on the cat" when that fourth tire left the track.
Old 25 October 2017, 07:58 AM   #89
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Monaco Baby! Just booked the flights
Old 25 October 2017, 12:57 PM   #90
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Monaco Baby! Just booked the flights
That is my favorite track and race. Cheers to you and enjoy!