The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 May 2021, 10:31 AM   #1
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Rolex is Brilliant

All the buzz is now about PM. Could it be that in 5 years we will see SS in the cases and PM fetching the premiums? I think this is where it is headed. Which means more $$$ for the mothership. Perhaps this was the plan all along. Thoughts?

PS: I’ve been lucky to get the popular SS references from my AD through the years so no dog in the fight
Old 7 May 2021, 10:46 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
PM has become more relevant with the advent of SS scarcity, but unless they price PM lower than SS, you will never see SS unsold while PM fly off the shelves
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 10:47 AM   #3
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
I don’t think there’s anything really brilliant that Rolex did recently.

Nothing more or less brilliant than what they have been doing for thirty over years.

Global economic conditions have pushed them to the very top.

No doubt it’s the result of a very consistent message for decades, but the current absurd excess of demand is more a result of external factors rather than anything Rolex did.

Social media, low interest rates, covid enforced travel bans....

Perhaps the one thing Rolex didn’t do, and didn’t do very well indeed is increase production.
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 11:39 AM   #4
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Rolex is Brilliant

PM models are in demand because SS sport models are hard to get. I don’t believe many would consider a PM Daytona if a SS Daytona was in the case for a fraction of the cost.
Old 7 May 2021, 11:44 AM   #5
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP brings up an interesting theory, we shall see
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 11:44 AM   #6
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Something rather special about a gold or platinum Rolex. Unless you have one / several, you probably don't realise just how special. Especially gold with OF - really cool combo.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 11:45 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

There are many great brands, expand your collection. Not sure why anyone would buy a timepiece they don't really want. Rolex could have more sales, yet thankfully many other brands have stepped up their offerings. Personally speaking, it also means some of those pieces I wanted but somehow slipped through the cracks got more attention. Classic Cartier Tank, Heuer Monaco Gulf, a couple of Panerai, a nice Omega Speedmaster...... and the new Bvlgari Octo FS with 100m WP rating that obliterated any desire for the overly hyped 2x the price AP.

So many awesome brands / timepieces, so this is a great opportunity for them to shine while Rolex takes a back seat. This helps the overall health of the industry. jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 11:46 AM   #8
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
I don’t think there’s anything really brilliant that Rolex did recently.

Nothing more or less brilliant than what they have been doing for thirty over years.

Global economic conditions have pushed them to the very top.

No doubt it’s the result of a very consistent message for decades, but the current absurd excess of demand is more a result of external factors rather than anything Rolex did.

Social media, low interest rates, covid enforced travel bans....

Perhaps the one thing Rolex didn’t do, and didn’t do very well indeed is increase production.
Agreed. They continued making outstanding watches and they continued maintaining one of the best brand images of any company. The world changed a lot in a very short period of time.

I don't think even Rolex expected the current level of demand and their behavior suggests they may be uncertain as to how long such elevated demand will last (or, alternatively, they are currently in the process of scaling but it is such a complex and long-term process that such efforts are still yet to yield any results and may not for a matter of years into the future.)
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 11:46 AM   #9
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
PM models are in demand because SS sport models are hard to get. I don’t believe many would consider a PM Daytona if a SS Daytona was in the case for a fraction of the cost.
Right thats how it started. But I think the tide is shifting. Suddenly the steel ones, although obviously desirable, are starting to lose their luster in the hype world. LOTS of PM on the wrists of the “influencers”
Old 7 May 2021, 12:14 PM   #10
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Yes, Rolex is brilliant.
No, not seeing a shift to pm. Tremendous hype still around ss models.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 12:32 PM   #11
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Tbh the SS models are more comfortable & do look better in design.

But the recent meteorite dials releases sure change the game. I think SS models have reached a price ceiling & should be coming down slightly. PM models exhume that "look at me" aura, which is borderline snobbish & not really everyone's cup of tea
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 12:37 PM   #12
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
PM has become more relevant with the advent of SS scarcity, but unless they price PM lower than SS, you will never see SS unsold while PM fly off the shelves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 12:38 PM   #13
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
What buzz?

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 12:57 PM   #14
superspectral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Right thats how it started. But I think the tide is shifting. Suddenly the steel ones, although obviously desirable, are starting to lose their luster in the hype world. LOTS of PM on the wrists of the “influencers”
Interesting observation about PM and influencers. I expect plenty of people prefer SS since they fear wearing a yellow gold Rolex will generate negative talk at the office. On the other hand, if the 20 to 30 somethings are sporting PM then there would be less fear of your watch being seen as excessively affluent.
superspectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 03:26 PM   #15
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by superspectral View Post
Interesting observation about PM and influencers. I expect plenty of people prefer SS since they fear wearing a yellow gold Rolex will generate negative talk at the office. On the other hand, if the 20 to 30 somethings are sporting PM then there would be less fear of your watch being seen as excessively affluent.

Imagine spending 30k+ only to worry about what others would think... I understand purchasing a watch for hype but what I struggle to understand is a person NOT purchasing something they like because of “negative talk.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 03:45 PM   #16
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshCashEmAll View Post
Imagine spending 30k+ only to worry about what others would think... I understand purchasing a watch for hype but what I struggle to understand is a person NOT purchasing something they like because of “negative talk.”

Insecurity exists in many forms.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 07:23 AM   #17
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
The reason why PM models are
Seeing more popularity is the AD pushing them on customers to get an SS. Plus the fact that the SS models are fetching so much money that people would rather buy the PM for the same or similar money.

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 09:32 AM   #18
peterpl
Banned

PMs already fetching premiums. Some crazy crazy prices for full gold already.

I want to add more PM but man they are so expensive now. 1 gold piece is someone's yearly wage now or even more.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 09:46 AM   #19
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
The percentage of the population in the market for a 10k watch is absurdly low. The percentage in the market for a 40k watch is abysmally low. Don’t let this forum fool you - it’s a bubble, representing the very few would even consider spending more than a few hundred bucks on a time piece. There just isn’t a large enough market for PM-priced watches to ever make the scenario you’re suggesting possible.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote