The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2021, 10:21 PM   #31
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PAM/PP
From a post-purchase POV, I see how it could be viewed that way.

But from my previous experiences, the AD/boutiques always make sure the watch is fitted perfectly on my wrist before any customization charges are added.

Anyways, I ordered a strap from HorusStraps as their customer service confirmed they'd fit my wrist size. Fingers crossed !
balaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 10:40 PM   #32
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I’m certain that if you’d ordered the watch from an AP boutique then they would have offered a smaller strap or ordered one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. APNY has always provided XS straps free of charge at the time of purchase... it's really no different than sizing a bracelet.
Mbbgysam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 10:48 PM   #33
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
This. APNY has always provided XS straps free of charge at the time of purchase... it's really no different than sizing a bracelet.
My thoughts exactly. No different from links being taken out/added, or straps being cut to fit like the Aquanaut.

The least a luxury watch dealer could do is to ensure the watch fits me when I leave the store.
Old 12 June 2021, 12:13 AM   #34
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Two things - 1. Depending on wrist shape, sometimes it’s best to mix the sizes. Eg long side use XS and short side use S. 2. AD’s are hit and miss, but boutique would probably give you the extra straps needed for right fit.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 12:31 AM   #35
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Two things - 1. Depending on wrist shape, sometimes it’s best to mix the sizes. Eg long side use XS and short side use S. 2. AD’s are hit and miss, but boutique would probably give you the extra straps needed for right fit.
Ahh I see. Yes I've heard of that combo! Will give it a go if I ever get an additional XS from AP.
Old 12 June 2021, 06:36 PM   #36
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

I feel at this price point you should have got it free if you told them at the time of purchase.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 08:53 PM   #37
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
I feel at this price point you should have got it free if you told them at the time of purchase.
Totally agree with that. But was just met with an instant offer of ordering a strap. I don't think it'd hurt to chuck in a strap out of goodwill at least after spending that much.
Old 13 June 2021, 09:49 PM   #38
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

If you get the smaller straps please post a picture, I've got small wrists so I'm kinda curious how it wears.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 10:04 PM   #39
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
If you get the smaller straps please post a picture, I've got small wrists so I'm kinda curious how it wears.
Will do mate !
Old 4 July 2021, 10:52 PM   #40
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Hey mate, I caved in and picked up a Horus Strap for the ROO. From what I know, the lengths are slightly shorter than OEM Regular sizes. But even then, there is still a fair bit of looseness on the last hole of it. Twisting my wrist shakes it around.

I am still waiting on an OEM XS to come in and will let you know how it goes!

(For confirmation, my wrist is 6"!)

Old 5 July 2021, 12:48 AM   #41
pain888
"TRF" Member

I buy the XS strap...

"LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST"
pain888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 09:59 AM   #42
Aly_
"TRF" Member

Love the watch, perfect fit for your wrist
The strap colour is amazing, great Combo
Aly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 10:33 AM   #43
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Your mistake was not making the sale contingent on them swapping the strap.
When they say they can’t do it, you say then you can’t take it. Once the deal with an AD that doesn’t care is done, there’s no incentive to help you out until it’s time to to buy the next one.
It’s not like these are Daytona’s with 10 year waiting lists. Yet anyway.
Good luck.
Worst case sell it online. Someone wants a new strap.

I did that with a new car purchase some time ago. There was a pit in the bumper that I wanted repaired and repainted. I refused to let them make it an owed service for after sale repair much to their dismay. I said I’d come get it when it was fixed. Guess what, they did a crappy job. So no sale. Then they didn’t like my comment that their service and attitude weren’t consistent with, “the relentless pursuit of perfection.” So I bought a Benz, just like I told them I would when I left. And then another one. I guess I like “the best or nothing” better. Every time I get a car there’s some drama. Lol!

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 12:46 PM   #44
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain888 View Post
I buy the XS strap...
How does it fit? What is your wrist size?

I am hoping it'll fit snug on my wrist without any movement
Old 5 July 2021, 12:47 PM   #45
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly_ View Post
Love the watch, perfect fit for your wrist
The strap colour is amazing, great Combo
Yeah I love the blue! They didn't do it for the OEM straps unfortunately..
Old 5 July 2021, 01:00 PM   #46
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
Your mistake was not making the sale contingent on them swapping the strap.
When they say they can’t do it, you say then you can’t take it. Once the deal with an AD that doesn’t care is done, there’s no incentive to help you out until it’s time to to buy the next one.
It’s not like these are Daytona’s with 10 year waiting lists. Yet anyway.
Good luck.
Worst case sell it online. Someone wants a new strap.

I did that with a new car purchase some time ago. There was a pit in the bumper that I wanted repaired and repainted. I refused to let them make it an owed service for after sale repair much to their dismay. I said I’d come get it when it was fixed. Guess what, they did a crappy job. So no sale. Then they didn’t like my comment that their service and attitude weren’t consistent with, “the relentless pursuit of perfection.” So I bought a Benz, just like I told them I would when I left. And then another one. I guess I like “the best or nothing” better. Every time I get a car there’s some drama. Lol!
I agree. Looking back, I should've done that.

But I was too excited to pick the Ghost up as I had been eyeing it for a while. Was just disappointed that a small matter like that post-purchase had to go down hill. I've been in the service industry and I personally would have done something about it to keep that personalized service standard.

After all, I am not looking for a swap from rubber strap to a full rose gold bracelet. I feel that it is no different from swapping sizes on a piece of clothing.
Old 5 July 2021, 01:02 PM   #47
melhk
"TRF" Member

Kinda of surprised by all the responses saying "just buy a new strap" and "what did you expect"

I would definitely expect the boutique to swap the strap free of charge if you ask for it at the time of purchase. I understand you realized it a bit late, hence why you asked the question, but still I would hope your SA would try to fix the situation so you can enjoy your new purchase.

Spending 30K on a watch and having to argue on a piece of rubber is kind of sad in my opinion, specially as they use to throw an extra strap as a nice gesture not long ago when buying an ROO (and even an ROC)
melhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2021, 01:11 PM   #48
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melhk View Post
Kinda of surprised by all the responses saying "just buy a new strap" and "what did you expect"

I would definitely expect the boutique to swap the strap free of charge if you ask for it at the time of purchase. I understand you realized it a bit late, hence why you asked the question, but still I would hope your SA would try to fix the situation so you can enjoy your new purchase.

Spending 30K on a watch and having to argue on a piece of rubber is kind of sad in my opinion, specially as they use to throw an extra strap as a nice gesture not long ago when buying an ROO (and even an ROC)
I feel the same way. Apart from the hype around luxury watch brands, they are still a luxury watch brand (or an AD representing them) and should hold that standard as high as possible. I was hoping for a positive outcome as it wasn't as if I waited half a year before bringing it up.

These watches are expensive and I think expecting it to fit me after spending that amount was the least I could ask for. I'm confident that even lower-priced watches that cater to the majority would have made it right to the customer.
Old 5 July 2021, 05:27 PM   #49
h.to
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth, AD should give you another strap to make sure the watch fits properly before you leave the store. You could always ask to speak with their manager (Karen style) and tell them the watch doesn't sit as intended and see if they could do anything about it. I think the list price was $2200 HKD (strap only) earlier this year. Not sure if they had their silly price increase since then.

When I purchased my ROO, the Rep did ask management for confirmation before bundling the XS band free of charge.
h.to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 07:21 AM   #50
kctt
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver/SD/GMTIIc
Honestly, I'm not sure if a smaller strap will solve the issue. The problem is the fitment to the shape of your wrist. I think the lug to lug width is 54mm which will not sit well on a 6 inch wrist unless it's really really flat. Perhaps wear it on your right hand and see how it feels. I'd bet it will fit better.

Beautiful watch btw.

IG: @idighorology
kctt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2021, 01:03 PM   #51
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctt View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure if a smaller strap will solve the issue. The problem is the fitment to the shape of your wrist. I think the lug to lug width is 54mm which will not sit well on a 6 inch wrist unless it's really really flat. Perhaps wear it on your right hand and see how it feels. I'd bet it will fit better.

Beautiful watch btw.
The watch will definitely be top heavy but I am not too fussed as I've tried a Diver with a XS in the past that worked well! As for my right hand.. it definitely fits better but totally not used to it
Old 8 July 2021, 12:12 AM   #52
s14roller
"TRF" Member

While asking for a strap to be thrown in would have been appropriate to ask prior to purchase if it needed to be fit, I wouldnt have expected this but rather, a nice gesture if they did. Even years ago before the craze, most people would need to buy the additional straps if wanted or needed. No different than buying a PP that needs a different length strap and up to the AD/Boutique if they want to accommodate
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:34 AM   #53
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaloo View Post
Yes of course. That's the beauty of it. However, I don't think I'm asking for much when I just want the watch to FIT me out of the box when I am paying a sum of money for it. It just seems silly that I purchased a watch with a strap that I cannot even make use out of.

Most aftermarket strap makers only do one standard sizing for their rubber straps and the only XS length rubber straps I could find are official AP rubber straps. The rubber strap that comes on mine is beautiful and it's a shame that I cannot even use it.
You would get the proper strap size when it is fitted at the AD. You said you did that? SO what happened?
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote