The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 June 2021, 11:08 PM   #1
Cobie520
"TRF" Member

Audemars Piguet 26400AU.OO.A002CA.01 ROO Forged Carbon

Hello all. Interested in purchasing an offshore forged carbon. Gotten a lot of mixed reviews about wear and tear, carbon maintenance, fakes etc. Any owners of this watch mind giving their opinions? I know watch is discontinued and buying one would be a few years old. Thanks in advance.
Cobie520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 12:11 AM   #2
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
That is not the forged carbon model...
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 12:16 AM   #3
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

looks like ceramic to me.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 12:23 AM   #4
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No to be critical but the watch pictured appears to be a first gen ceramic, which had the black dial (26402CE.OO.A002CA.01). The forged carbon model maintained the black dial, but had the forged carbon case, which has a "marbled" and matte appearance.

I've owned the 44 carbon & loved it. It was unique, extremely lightweight for it's size and absolutely flew under the radar, as aside from the ceramic bezel, there is essentially nothing "flashy" about it. A definite stealth piece.

I currently own a 44 ceramic, which I love for different reasons, but the biggest is that AP's ceramic finishing is fantastic. Durability is another; as unless you drop or really bang the watch into something (aside from the Ti buckle), it will look like new forever. The downside is that if it gets damaged, it will chip or shatter & you will have to replace that particular part.

If the carbon were to be damaged (scratches/scuffs), it couldn't be refinished either, but most likely would be "hidden" within the matte, marbled appearance and hard to notice.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 01:46 AM   #5
Cobie520
"TRF" Member

Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0331 View Post
No to be critical but the watch pictured appears to be a first gen ceramic, which had the black dial (26402CE.OO.A002CA.01). The forged carbon model maintained the black dial, but had the forged carbon case, which has a "marbled" and matte appearance.

I've owned the 44 carbon & loved it. It was unique, extremely lightweight for it's size and absolutely flew under the radar, as aside from the ceramic bezel, there is essentially nothing "flashy" about it. A definite stealth piece.

I currently own a 44 ceramic, which I love for different reasons, but the biggest is that AP's ceramic finishing is fantastic. Durability is another; as unless you drop or really bang the watch into something (aside from the Ti buckle), it will look like new forever. The downside is that if it gets damaged, it will chip or shatter & you will have to replace that particular part.

If the carbon were to be damaged (scratches/scuffs), it couldn't be refinished either, but most likely would be "hidden" within the matte, marbled appearance and hard to notice.
Old 20 June 2021, 05:14 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've seen a few examples here over the years of the FC getting scuffed up so I myself prefer ceramic, but the FC has a great marbled look and if you wear it in rotation and give it some protection then it should be a good buy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 07:07 AM   #7
sullivan2829
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD JC, AP ROO FC
I have a FC 44mm and Mine is a 2013. It is worn in rotation with my Deepsea and still looks fantastic. Don’t be frightened off by some of the FC scare stories. Should the case be damaged it has to be replaced not refinished but that can be done worst case scenario. It’s Super lightweight and comfortable. Mine is currently with AP service so away for 5 weeks and im really missing it! Go for it you won’t regret it.
sullivan2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 07:25 AM   #8
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah I think they really do ceramic extremely well relative to other competitors.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 07:35 AM   #9
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobie520 View Post
Much appreciated!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQTXqlut...dium=copy_link

Is this the model you were thinking of? Looks great!
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 08:20 AM   #10
Cobie520
"TRF" Member

Yes! That is the one I was thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQTXqlut...dium=copy_link

Is this the model you were thinking of? Looks great!
Old 20 June 2021, 10:31 PM   #11
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Here's the best shot of my old one; the sun caught it just right & I acutally managed to get everything in focus. Of course, it generally looks much more muted in normal light conditions, but they do have moments where they "pop", such as this.

I recommend seeing a forged carbon model in person to see if it's for you. The model should be mostly irrelevant, as the case material is what you want to "experience". That said, early models, such as the Alinghi used a different formula and the older cases (and those with FC bezels) have some poor examples out there. I haven't seen a poor example of a 44 yet.

Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 11:23 PM   #12
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's the best shot of my old one; the sun caught it just right & I acutally managed to get everything in focus. Of course, it generally looks much more muted in normal light conditions, but they do have moments where they "pop", such as this.

I recommend seeing a forged carbon model in person to see if it's for you. The model should be mostly irrelevant, as the case material is what you want to "experience". That said, early models, such as the Alinghi used a different formula and the older cases (and those with FC bezels) have some poor examples out there. I haven't seen a poor example of a 44 yet.

Quote:

Beautiful photo and detail shown. Bravo!
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 06:29 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

When I visited the factory the guide took our group to the room where the forged carbon cases were made and the process was demonstrated. Real shame that AP don’t make these currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote