The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 June 2021, 02:03 PM   #1
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
First Motorcycle Question

About to take the BRC then get my first bike. Looking at the Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT for the sportier feel and easier to manage as a beginner. Alternatively also like the classic looks and cruising feel of the Harley Iron 883 or BMW R Nine T. Welcome any opinions from anyone that has one of these models on their experiences of owning one. Thanks!!
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 10:31 PM   #2
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Depending upon finances, I'd probably get a "standard." By this I mean not a sport bike, cruiser, or touring bike. I'd go used because you will drop it!!! Nothing with too much plastic bodywork. My first bike was a 1974(?) Honda CB 450. A good starter bike. Any yes, I did drop it!!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 11:24 PM   #3
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Only an opinion !

) 51 yrs of riding and racing in every condition/situation imaginable
) I’ve wrapped the severed arm of a beautiful woman in a t-shirt while waiting on an ambulance
) Held the hand of an unknown rider while he looked into my eyes as his last breath left the body
) Riding around orange cones in a parking lot while being instructed by a person wearing a lime green landfill vest who’s experience is riding to Dairy Queen and the local bar, does NOT make someone a motorcycle rider.

1 Buy a 200cc dirt bike, learn the essentials
2 Take a beginner off road riding class
3 Buy a used general purpose bike of a manageable size
4 Take a beginner track day/road racing coarse that provides a bike
5 Take the BRC, it will be amusing, but they will offer some valid street tips
6 Enjoy the journey, there are many types of riding, don’t get trapped in one, find YOUR passion
Old 20 June 2021, 11:31 PM   #4
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Only an opinion !

) I’ve wrapped the severed arm of a beautiful woman in a t-shirt while waiting on an ambulance
) Held the hand of an unknown rider while he looked into my eyes as his last breath left the body
) Riding around orange cones in a parking lot while being instructed by a person wearing a lime green landfill vest who’s experience is riding to Dairy Queen and the local bar, does NOT make someone a motorcycle rider.

6 Enjoy the journey, there are many types of riding, don’t get trapped in one, find you passion
Thread closed.....Best advice ever.
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 11:53 PM   #5
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Looks like a reasonable enough size to start with. I would ask for a test ride before I buy. I made the mistake of buying a Harley Davidson 100th anniversary Softtail without spending time in the seat. The low slung riding position and forward only mounted pegs made any ride over 15 minutes extremely painful on my lower back. Also keep in mind the thoughtless and dimwitted drivers who refuse to put their cellphones down and will run into/over you. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 21 June 2021, 12:00 AM   #6
ttomczak

Watch: The Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Only an opinion !

6 Enjoy the journey, there are many types of riding, don’t get trapped in one, find you passion
Like him, I have been riding over 50 years including dirt bike racing…

Get something simple, ride on back roads, learn how the motorcycle moves when you move…. Driving among 4000 lb Cages (cars) is not where to learn how to manage your bike.

Riding is awesome, a feeling unlike no other. But it’s you against all of them, be safe, learn your machine in safe areas, and you will do great

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 01:03 AM   #7
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

As you'll see there are 3-4 main styles of street motorcycle. Sport bikes, Sport touring, Cruisers and some in between types. The main thing about them is the posture in which you ride them and how they are designed for different purposes, and comfort levels.

Sports bikes you lean forward, sport touring is more neutral posture and cruisers you are more feet forward (kind of fetal position). They all have pluses and minuses and you have to decide which you like better. Besides what size bike you want, you really need to figure out which riding posture you want.
Old 21 June 2021, 01:16 AM   #8
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

All excellent advice. Went out for a short ride last wed, a lodge brother and I went out for lunch. No less than twice someone attempted to take me out. Both were making left hand turns in front of me. Always "cover" your front brake, and when stopped leave it in gear. This will make it quicker to get out of harms way in case someone tries to squish you. ALWAYS assume people don't see you and ride accordingly. I also ride during the day with my brights on, helps others see you. Do I even have to say don't drink and drive???
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 01:16 AM   #9
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
In the ER, motorcycles are known as “donor cycles”.
Stay safe!
Old 21 June 2021, 01:52 AM   #10
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
All excellent advice. Went out for a short ride last wed, a lodge brother and I went out for lunch. No less than twice someone attempted to take me out. Both were making left hand turns in front of me. Always "cover" your front brake, and when stopped leave it in gear. This will make it quicker to get out of harms way in case someone tries to squish you. ALWAYS assume people don't see you and ride accordingly. I also ride during the day with my brights on, helps others see you. Do I even have to say don't drink and drive???
Exactly....

Saying 'yeah, but had the right of way" is pretty moot when you are dead or injured.

ALWAYS assume they can't see you and ride accordingly.

Find out what ATGATT means.

"Dress for the slide and not the ride".
Old 21 June 2021, 02:13 AM   #11
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I’ve ridden for almost 35 years (started in dirt). Get the fundamentals down off road or start with a smaller bike you can easily whip around. Get something light and not too powerful. Riding on the road is scary and requires constant vigilance. I was cruising down olympic Blvd (4 lane road in Los Angeles) last week. No one anywhere in front or beside me and some woman blew a light looking at her phone. She came 10 feet from my front tire.
Old 21 June 2021, 02:29 AM   #12
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
In the ER, motorcycles are known as “donor cycles”.
Stay safe!
You guys just can't help yourselves. We get it, they are scary, dangerous and your wife won't let you have one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 02:34 AM   #13
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
You guys just can't help yourselves. We get it, they are scary, dangerous and your wife won't let you have one.

But it is true. Sadly.

Usually young, in relatively good shape males with great healthy organs. (Sorry old Harley dudes.)

But we have to remember the danger of riding is also one of the joys. You are completely (or should be) concentrating, involved and immersed in the experience. The motion, the wind, the cornering and you in a state of bliss. Until of course, you have to head home.
Old 21 June 2021, 04:04 AM   #14
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Been riding since I was 7. Back to dirt these days as I live in a high traffic area (Currently ride a Husky TE300 that is not street legal)

Good advice in this thread, I also recommend something small and light to start with and also recommend starting in dirt to learn the base skills that will serve you well once on the street.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 12:59 PM   #15
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Get a good helmet and the louder the bike, the better.
Old 21 June 2021, 01:20 PM   #16
PanEuropean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
Welcome any opinions...
Motorcycles are specialty tools. Hence, once you have a year or more of experience riding a motorcycle, you will need to determine exactly what you want to use it for:
  • daily transportaton
  • long distance touring
  • racing (on a track, not public roads)
  • riding off-road
  • posing and looking cool on the main drag on Friday night
  • etc.
But, for your first motorcycle - the one you buy to get that year or more of experience = I suggest you get a bike somewhere around 350cc, certainly no bigger than 500 cc, and get one that is comfortable to ride on, one that fits your body size.

You certainly don't want a Harley 883 or a BMW R9T. Those are way too big for first bikes. You will feel ill at ease on them, always afraid of dropping the bike, and you won't ride them as frequently as you would a smaller bike.

When budgeting, keep in mind that a full set of good quality protective clothing, including a good quality helmet, will cost you around $1,500. So you might want to consider getting a used small bike (with good provinence) as your first bike.
PanEuropean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 04:35 PM   #17
colpol
"TRF" Member

Check out some of the adventure bike models - rather sports/ cruisers

Comfortable/ practical/ performance if needed.
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 05:28 PM   #18
alllexandru

First Motorcycle Question

Go slow

Try to imagine that you are never seen by other drivers.
Think ahead of what the drivers will do or not do!

The impact of 80km/h to 0 in a fraction of a second will be devastating for the body so think of that, street is not a race track where you have the luxury to slide if fall and stop in the sand.

Practice and if possible take some lessons at a race track to understand better the bike.

Get the best helmet you can buy not only for protection but for comfort as you need to focus on the road not on the noises from a windy helmet.

Go out and ride your way not the most experienced other riders way, learn from your mistakes and not get too confident while learning (it will happen anyway)

Best of luck !
Riding is one of the best feeling you can have as human.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 06:25 PM   #19
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Start with a good helmet, good boots, and good leathers. Then work out what cash you’ve got left. Don’t do it the other way round.

And when I say ‘good’, I mean ‘the very best’!

For year one, buy a bike that’s light, easy to ride, with manageable power. Plenty of time to play with the big boys in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 07:06 PM   #20
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Read and absorb the extremely good advice here. Then read it again.

Fast jet pilots don't learn how to fly in an F14.

Get a used 125 Trail Bike and learn the art of defensive riding.
(Always expect that those around you are going to do, exactly what you don't want them to do.)

Have fun.

I rode for almost 50years and loved every ride.
I envy the biking journey ahead of you.
Good Luck.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 07:45 PM   #21
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
I haven't the riding experience that some of these guys have, but have a solid 43 years in.
I started with a Hodaka Road Toad 100 and a Honda CB125 and learned how not to do many many things.

Attitudes like this
Quote:
Will get you hurt.

Take the time to read these comments and honestly absorb them. There are hundreds of years of riding experience speaking here on this thread.

The best advice I can give, is always watch everyone else... They just don't see you, so you have to see them.

Enjoy the ride... bikes are a blast.
Old 21 June 2021, 08:13 PM   #22
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Start with a good helmet, good boots, and good leathers. Then work out what cash you’ve got left. Don’t do it the other way round.

And when I say ‘good’, I mean ‘the very best’!
Totally agree,

As the old BELL HELMETS ad used to say; "if you've got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet".

ARAI make the best helmets these days.IMHO.

Also have a look at the Aerostich catalogue. VERY good gear.
Old 21 June 2021, 09:19 PM   #23
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I expect YOUR wife let YOU have one.
I expect you had to ask very, very nicely though.

Old 21 June 2021, 11:25 PM   #24
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
I expect YOUR wife let YOU have one.

I expect you had to ask very, very nicely though.

I made sure I had one when I got married 35 years ago...so I'm "grandfathered in" as we say. I had my first motorcycle at 15 years old before I had a car and have had at least one all but a few years since.

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 12:43 AM   #25
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I made sure I had one when I got married 35 years ago...so I'm "grandfathered in" as we say. I had my first motorcycle at 15 years old before I had a car and have had at least one all but a few years since.
Glad you were able to clear that up for us.

Ps. Nice looking Harley.
Old 22 June 2021, 12:43 AM   #26
JBoone
"TRF" Member

I got married at 39 and did not have a bike at the time. As I said earlier, I am an off-road rider these days but let my wife know before marriage that would be getting another (dirt , street or both). This literally would have been a deal breaker for me up front. Sounds cliche but once riding becomes part of you it is always there.

If I did not live in the city, I would have another street bike of some flavor. I had a sport bike when moving from the mountains to Charlotte many years ago and it did not get ridden much and was stollen not long afterwards (sucked but insurance pay out was fair and was saving for house at the time so good timing at least) Throwing my Husqvarna in the truck and driving an hour or so to many different trials scratches the itch for me now. 11 year old daughter who has been riding since 7 as well often joins me.

Traffic is the limiting factor both in safety as well as enjoyment for me on the street.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 08:16 AM   #27
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
Get a good helmet and the louder the bike, the better.
Loud pipes save lives

They might not see you, but they should hear you. A blip of the throttle in traffic will save your butt one day.

Loud pipes also get you cats apparently. Its never worked for me, but if the t'shirts are to be believed, cats like loud pipes.

I should also say that an 883 isn't a good first bike. Its an entry bike, but too heavy to start on. Get something smaller and lighter, learn to ride, then get an 883 (and put forward controls on it, the mids are terrible)
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 08:30 AM   #28
albertf
"TRF" Member

I started with a used bike, ninja 250, since they were commonly recommended as a good bike to learn on. Re-sale value was very strong since there's always someone else looking to learn too.

Was able to break-even on the sale (minus insurance/sales tax) after close to a year of ownership when I wanted to move onto something more powerful.
albertf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 09:40 AM   #29
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Loud pipes save lives

They might not see you, but they should hear you. A blip of the throttle in traffic will save your butt one day.

Loud pipes also get you cats apparently. Its never worked for me, but if the t'shirts are to be believed, cats like loud pipes.

I should also say that an 883 isn't a good first bike. Its an entry bike, but too heavy to start on. Get something smaller and lighter, learn to ride, then get an 883 (and put forward controls on it, the mids are terrible)

Always blip the throttle when filtering. Ironically, all the car drivers think you’re just being an annoying idiot, but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 10:50 AM   #30
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
the louder the bike, the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Loud pipes save lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Always blip the throttle when filtering. Ironically, all the car drivers think you’re just being an annoying idiot, but it works.
Re: AutoWeek

“Do Loud Pipes Really Save Lives? No”

” Some motorcycle riders love loud pipes. “That’s the sound of freedom, boy!” Others find them as pleasant to hear as a two-stroke leaf blower right outside the window. But the defense of the loud-pipers has always been that, “Loud pipes save lives.” A recent scientific study says no, loud pipes don’t save lives (but it does not address the question of whether loud pipes annoy anybody).”